PDA

View Full Version : Item respawn

MostCurious
11-11-2013, 12:51 AM
If items do respawn in multiplier, they need to do it faster otherwise there seems no point to play if you join a map that is completely looted.

Stignos
11-11-2013, 12:53 AM
You can always move to a different area man, or learn how to craft things and recycle items placed in the game, for example in the houses the stair railings turn to scrap metal when you destroy them. There is usually more useful stuff around you than meets the eye.

TrueCruel
11-11-2013, 12:59 AM
This is a survival game, everything is limited. You cant survive forever...

drsubo
11-11-2013, 03:07 AM
They should respawn because eventually there will be nothing left but it should take a long time making players have to craft more items and use resorces

Fox
11-11-2013, 04:03 AM
If you have a server running long enough, you eventually start having to fight with crossbow and shotgun only... Respawns are sort of needed on multiplayer servers.

madmole
11-11-2013, 05:01 AM
One thing we could do pretty easily is add an option for supply drops like you see in hoard mode or deathmatch where supply crates fall from the sky, what do you think?

n0valpk
11-11-2013, 05:19 AM
One thing we could do pretty easily is add an option for supply drops like you see in hoard mode or deathmatch where supply crates fall from the sky, what do you think?

Yes if you are going to do this you should make it appear on the map as an icon and have that area covered in zombies. That way we have to fight/stealth for our supply drops.

xoat
11-11-2013, 05:48 AM

if 'yes' on this implatation, then scale it with amount of players. Because now we are 3 friends 'playing' alone building shelter only etc to open it up later.. i mean we dont want 30 crates when we're just 3.. but when we open it up for everyone THEN we want 30 crates :P

Colin248
11-11-2013, 06:24 AM

do believe I suggested this in another post. XD although if possible could you make it a rare thing that happens near the player? so players don't rely on them to stay alive. or to keep em equipped.

TrueCruel
11-11-2013, 07:08 AM
Better then add a Radio Station/Tower which we have to clean from zombies to be able to communicate with other survivors/millitary for supply drops. They should be limited like 1-2 a week (changeable via options).

Edit: or need gas for the radio towers generator to be able to use the radio.

Arkonik
11-11-2013, 07:19 AM

It would be reasonable if they had a 24 hr redrop everyday. This way it wouldn't over flow. In time I would say add a radio device that allows you to call them so it drops them at your position every 24 hrs, and like the bedroll it can be changed by re radioing ahead to let the supply drop know where it will drop next.

Maybe some type of flare and the flare could attract near by zombies to the flare light. This would then make you have to rush to the drop before the zombies beat the crates to death. Something like this make it a little challenge to get them.

add a loud plane sound so you can hear it underground. Make the delivery time random so it can be dropped at night or day. It being random makes it more interesting like if the guys where delayed before take off maybe they hit some strong winds and had to go around and it delays the drop off.

Stealth
11-11-2013, 07:23 AM

That would be good. But with worse loot maybe :P and less frequent. Until you can add proper item respawns :D

MonkyD
11-11-2013, 10:29 AM

Awsome Idea, this would solve the users initial problem and should be configurable like the rest of the server options. (They are so OP right now :-) !)

Stignos
11-11-2013, 10:44 AM

If this becomes a thing I would like the option to turn it off if I want to.

Also to spice things up the drops could attract some zombies so when you get to it, you have to fight a little bit for it. If not its just too easy!

knarox
11-11-2013, 10:51 AM

Optional please. I like it when resources run out and you have search for alternatives (mining, create other things) or go on trip to find them.

Bl4ckSunsh1n3
11-11-2013, 02:35 PM

As long as it's optional and dangerous to get to the crates I'm all for it. It would be interesting if it had some randomness to it instead of a timed interval that people wait for (even going days without one would be interesting). It would be really cool to be hiding out at night, low on supplies, and hear a supply drop come in and have to go find it.

It would be really crazy if we're on a server with other people and have to rush into danger to try to beat someone else to it...Lots of possibilities with that added.

Josef
11-11-2013, 02:47 PM
I do prefer item respawn to crates tough...

But as optional, why not?

legionpete
11-11-2013, 02:49 PM

That would be rockin!!! Also, will they ever fix the xml recipe file for the iron ingot?

xiiMaRcLeoN
11-11-2013, 03:12 PM

That would be a great idea.

rahzzalinto
11-11-2013, 04:56 PM

Sounds perfect

BulletSponge
11-11-2013, 06:30 PM
I would like to see the idea with getting to a radio tower to request supplies from the military. Maybe even be able to craft radios, or a small chance they drop one for you to use in a supply drop so you can have one in your base? Definitely limit how many supply drops can be used in a given time interval.

firefistus
11-11-2013, 07:03 PM
I would like to see the idea with getting to a radio tower to request supplies from the military. Maybe even be able to craft radios, or a small chance they drop one for you to use in a supply drop so you can have one in your base? Definitely limit how many supply drops can be used in a given time interval.

I personally would like this optional. I know my friends wouldn't want to have respawns on items unless they are dropping from new zombies.

BulletSponge
11-11-2013, 07:33 PM
I personally would like this optional. I know my friends wouldn't want to have respawns on items unless they are dropping from new zombies.

Absolutely. I wouldn't want it to always be on either even though its a feature I'd like to see. I'd even prefer it to be a rare thing. Perhaps they'll only drop you supplies once per in game month or a similar interval. I don't want it to get to a point where you're just swimming in ammo and weapons etc. like some kind of post apocalyptic Scrooge McDuck. The problem I foresee is running an MP server for survival and longevity of a world on said server. Eventually the people who were there first will have built and scavenged all the things, and a new player will have a difficult time jumping in to a server that isn't boasting a brand new world. Granted this is a problem primarily for the time being. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a feature of this game intended for the future is procedurally generated worlds a la Minecraft? So once we get to that point I doubt the issue of item availability will be much of an issue.

CrimsonBort
11-11-2013, 07:50 PM
I wonder if there would be a way to have supply drops given to new players on a server once its past a certain day to give them the basics. Im just thinking a bit of food and water, possibly a pistol or a melee weapon, nothing too crazy, just something to give u a leg up till u get the materials to start making your own stuff. Especially helpful if you happen to join in the middle of the night. I know in horde you have the option for the world to reset after a certain amount of days, maybe in survival have a container reset option as opposed to a world reset? And does anyone know if stags spawn throughout or is there only a certain amount? It seems like they're all over the place offline, but online I can never seem to find em.

Arkonik
11-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Time to dig extra deep in this discussion. If everyone would look at the future plans you would see this would be better like this.

Future there is to be professions. These professions allow the making of items aka the trade skill system. Not sure if one can do all professions as at this time it was never mentioned and if it was I never saw it.

If all are not possible then I would say on a multi player map this type of system should be implemented. You call to your friends for supplies the players with them professions can put the items you desire in a crate and these items will be delivered to you by the air dropped system where you are on the map. You simply have to drop a flare on the ground where you want them to be dropped. The plane then comes by drops them in that spot. Not exact spot but that's the point it starts to drop your crate or crates.

The flare is a very bright light which can attract zombies if they are within 25 squares of the light. The zombies would then head toward the light source of the flare and try to destroy any crate they see. Why would a zombie destroy a crate? Simple because a human had there hands all over them they would be attracted to the scent on the crate or crates.

This makes the person who is receiving the drops have to come out of ground and get to there goods before they can be destroyed. These crates could have there health points increased so it would take a few hits to destroy them so the player has time to recover the crates if a zombie/ zombies are whaling on it.

In single player mode there is said there will be npc's. There should be merchant npc's if I recall correct. This type of NPC can be called on to air drop supplies to you. But you must find these type of npc's on the map before there goods are able to be air dropped. The same system of a flare would be used to show the drop point of the said supplies. There could be hand to hand weapon vendor npc's to food merchant npc's to construction npc's as well as fire arm npc's. Depending on the npc you find would determin the type of air drops you can receive.

How to find these type of npc's? By finding stories on paper in homes or old stores etc... by reading these they would leave clues to where they are on the map. So you will need to track them down or by simply stumbling on them as you scavagening the map for supplies.

There could be other ways added but based on the goals of the game and what is to be added I would say these methods would be more realistic than a simple air drop that would kill the single and multiplayer co op story line version maps.

BulletSponge
11-12-2013, 01:12 AM
Time to dig extra deep in this discussion. If everyone would look at the future plans you would see this would be better like this.

Future there is to be professions. These professions allow the making of items aka the trade skill system. Not sure if one can do all professions as at this time it was never mentioned and if it was I never saw it.

If all are not possible then I would say on a multi player map this type of system should be implemented. You call to your friends for supplies the players with them professions can put the items you desire in a crate and these items will be delivered to you by the air dropped system where you are on the map. You simply have to drop a flare on the ground where you want them to be dropped. The plane then comes by drops them in that spot. Not exact spot but that's the point it starts to drop your crate or crates.

The flare is a very bright light which can attract zombies if they are within 25 squares of the light. The zombies would then head toward the light source of the flare and try to destroy any crate they see. Why would a zombie destroy a crate? Simple because a human had there hands all over them they would be attracted to the scent on the crate or crates.

This makes the person who is receiving the drops have to come out of ground and get to there goods before they can be destroyed. These crates could have there health points increased so it would take a few hits to destroy them so the player has time to recover the crates if a zombie/ zombies are whaling on it.

In single player mode there is said there will be npc's. There should be merchant npc's if I recall correct. This type of NPC can be called on to air drop supplies to you. But you must find these type of npc's on the map before there goods are able to be air dropped. The same system of a flare would be used to show the drop point of the said supplies. There could be hand to hand weapon vendor npc's to food merchant npc's to construction npc's as well as fire arm npc's. Depending on the npc you find would determin the type of air drops you can receive.

How to find these type of npc's? By finding stories on paper in homes or old stores etc... by reading these they would leave clues to where they are on the map. So you will need to track them down or by simply stumbling on them as you scavagening the map for supplies.

There could be other ways added but based on the goals of the game and what is to be added I would say these methods would be more realistic than a simple air drop that would kill the single and multiplayer co op story line version maps.

Your version sounds way cooler.

LEV9L
11-12-2013, 07:43 AM

Not to be a buzz kill or anything, but this concept is dangerously close to what the game being developed by Facepunch Studios called 'Rust' uses heavily. In Rust, a supply plane drops 1-3 crates in random locations on the map via a parachute. I do agree it is a simple and convenient way to fix the issue, but I don't want to own Rust 2.0. Maybe something else like random events such as a downed cargo plane or heli (which is similar to DayZ) or you could perhaps come across a downed convoy and loot military vehicles and bodies? There are plenty of ways to fix the item respawn issue, the easiest option isn't always the best one.

heyfunny
11-12-2013, 08:50 PM

That would be a great option to add to the survival mode and Deathmatch in the option screen before you load your map.

Crow
11-12-2013, 10:25 PM
For every 100 zombies killed 1 crate drops from the sky

milton_71
11-12-2013, 10:41 PM
Why would the military help you? If you are left in the middle of no where with no supplies and zombies they wont waste time coming to help you.

Fox
11-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Or just have more zombies with better loot...

Oranix
11-13-2013, 01:45 AM
Or just have more zombies with better loot...

Exactly what I was thinking. If the zombies drop random supplies that you can actually use, I would have more incentive to kill them instead of just running around them. Also, if we're talking about air drops, I don't want supplies. I want to be picked up by the plane...

rahzzalinto
11-13-2013, 02:36 AM

To all the "Well if that is implemented please make it optional!" guys.

shibby
11-13-2013, 02:50 AM
Zombies with more loot or even just less empty zombies sounds like a good idea. At the moment I rarely bother looting them.

Murph1908
11-13-2013, 06:41 PM
I think instead of resupply, the ability to repair weapons would be better.

Here's my idea:

There is a set limit to the number of weapons in the game. This is set at world creation. Other than clubs, bows and crossbows, nobody can create a weapon. It's just too complicated.

If a weapon loses all durability, it's gone forever. Broken beyond repair.

However, using iron and/or other materials, a player can repair a weapon. When skill trees are implemented, the better you are at repair, the more durability is added with each repair action.

Ideally, the material used to repair the weapon would be scarce. Iron is just too common, and it needs to be to make tools. It doesn't make sense that you would need 4 iron ingots to repair a pistol, so something else would need to be done. Perhaps a rare mined element like sulfer would need to be added to iron and coal to make steel.

If a weapon is dropped, either on purpose or due to death, that weapon (at it's current durability) get's put back into the world somewhere. Maybe it becomes the loot of a spawned zombie, like the zombie picked it up at some point.

The point of this would be to eventually make your firearms use be something you have to think about, and not just because of ammo limits. You hear the barking of a zombie dog. Your shotgun only has 5 shots left before it's destroyed. Do you pull it for the easy kill, or grab your spiked club?

Imagine your elation when you loot a zombie and find a weapon on it.

codydaddy
11-13-2013, 06:43 PM

That sounds perfect!!!

Pathfindah
12-20-2013, 01:32 AM
Sorry to rehash this old thread but it's only thing that came up in my search.

Question: does loot respawn at all? I feel like I've come across backpacks that are full again.

P00713H34D
12-20-2013, 04:05 AM

It's a good idea to add it as an option. The fact is, you guys have given us all we really need to survive in the game already. Just because a player refuses to do their homework on the stacked item bugs or how to make what food, weapons, and ammo are currently craftable in game you don't have to cater to everyone that wines about the loot being sparse.

Back in Alpha 1, with codes that enabled god mode you had an option in the debug menu that reset all the worlds lootables. Making that option available to server admins would address this issue, IMHO. If people use it too much and complain about the game being "too easy" or "not fun" that's on them at that point.

P00713H34D
12-20-2013, 04:10 AM
For every 100 zombies killed 1 crate drops from the sky

Seriously? Killstreak rewards? Go back to CoD! You're unwanted!! *holds a crucifix up, inciting exorcist rituals*

P00713H34D
12-20-2013, 04:11 AM
Sorry to rehash this old thread but it's only thing that came up in my search.

Question: does loot respawn at all? I feel like I've come across backpacks that are full again.

Nope.

Pathfindah
12-20-2013, 05:19 AM
Nope.

ok, thx for the reply.

Katitof
12-20-2013, 12:27 PM
If you have a server running long enough, you eventually start having to fight with crossbow and shotgun only... Respawns are sort of needed on multiplayer servers.
I don't agree with that, I love that loot is limited and after a certain time you NEED to craft your own weapons, loot zombies for supplies and stuff. If anything, the server could reset after certain amount of time, but no loot respawn is a great thing-you can still scavange zombies for pistols and ammo, hunt for food and stuff.

biggreeneguy
12-20-2013, 02:06 PM

I support this idea as long as it came with settings. On/off, amount dropped and frequency. I know it's a lot to ask but that would be fantastic for server admins.

Thank you for giving attention to the forums like you do!

Ankh
12-20-2013, 02:24 PM

Just like mentioned above me, it would be really neat if it's going to be an option. Will do a great deal to beginners.

And as for OP, just don't join servers that are on their 574th day.

Drakemoore
12-20-2013, 02:34 PM
I definitely don't think item re spawning is needed for the story mode map nor do I think it should be enabled for the future procedural map mode by default.

If you want to have a on / off setting for it with some kind of editable item spawner files, then I'd agree with that as a alternate option. A lot of people, including myself are hoping that we'll run out of loot in the story mode / procedural world and we'll have to keep exploring and learning to craft to survive.

theeANGEL
12-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Respawnable items would be nice.. But I think it goes against the heart of the game, "long term survival with limited resources". Other than ammo, everything else can pretty much be crafted. Even shotgun ammo can be crafted at this time, and I dont see why the other ammos cant be crafted in similar fashion. Once you get a farm going, food and water are not a problem.

Any way, if the police-zombies would have a higher chance of dropping ammo, I think it would solve a lot of the problem. As it is, our group pretty much make my daily rounds, around Diersville to kill all the cops we can find, which usually gives up some ammo, and possibly a gun. Although I have had days that they dropped nothing but Sham or a stick. My survivalist pals thought I was crazy for hording the 6 cases of pistols I had gathered, but when we hit 400 days and we were down to nothing but pistols and crafted shotguns they were not so chatty. :D

Sn33kyPanda
12-28-2013, 12:24 AM

Yes please. As other posts have stated, i agree it should be optional and changable via settings. Perhaps even make the "loot variety" differ based on difficulty level i.e.
-the harder the game, the less "rare items" or even less crates
- " " , the less durable the loot
- " " , the longer you wait for the drop to arrive (potentially getting crates dropped at night and destroyd by zombies )

Jwrac
12-28-2013, 06:27 AM
I agree with the majority, resources SHOULD deplete, things should require you to search and explore new places to find more things, think clever and find alternatives, perhaps when more crafting is in it won't be so lacking... but I can survive off sand, scrap, zombie loot, and deer without need of anything else. xD

djdevilmonkey
12-28-2013, 06:29 AM
I somewhat agree with both sides. Loot should be limited, and things should deplete, and you should need to start reusing/crafting things.
But there should be SOME type of loot respawn/loot drop system for everything.

Also, i know that currently, in Alpha 5, loot does not respawn, but do zombies respawn? Because if they do, you can always just loot their bodies...

rentechd
12-28-2013, 09:48 AM
This is a survival game that attempts to mimic what it just might be like in the real world. If this happens tomorrow once you have scavenged your neighborhood and the go farther a field for supplies, the worlds not going to 'restock' the homes and stores you 'borrowed' from last week. That's only part of the picture of survival and is only useful in the short term. The idea is not to just assume that you can forever live by happily scavenging what you need... you use those supplies while you get set up to move on to other survival techniques, hunting, farming, foraging, mining and so on. AS the development progress on the game this should become clearer to people as they already can exist just fine - if a bit limited - right now without the 'loot' except for whats on zombies (and there is plenty on them).

AS more game systems come in you will be able to make more things that as yet you cannot to give you what you once had through scavenging. Even if a map is wiped clean you can still have weapons and ammo, food and drink, building and farming supplies and so on.

Of course I don't know but I doubt that the game will every 'respawn' stuff unless, as now, you start a new map. I actually hope it doesn't because in reality abandoned homes and shops don't auto restock on their own and survivors have to find other ways to survive.

In the meantime you might consider finding a group that consistently plays together perhaps on a private server so that you have a chance to be there when they start a new game and the map is fresh and you have the change to start out when surviving the first few days does depend on scavenging some to support you while you switch to long term techniques to survive.

Our group of players actually is pretty self sufficient long before even a 1/4 of the map is looted so if anyone joins in later on they find we can offer them what they need from what we are producing and they can still get what they need, if they wish, by looting what they need to get going.

Drakemoore
12-28-2013, 01:59 PM
I somewhat agree with both sides. Loot should be limited, and things should deplete, and you should need to start reusing/crafting things.
But there should be SOME type of loot respawn/loot drop system for everything.

Also, i know that currently, in Alpha 5, loot does not respawn, but do zombies respawn? Because if they do, you can always just loot their bodies...

Zombies respawn and they do drop loot yes, currently 'way way way and above' too much loot.

I personally don't believe in loot re spawning for survival mode. But I think you all have to remember that we're going to have procedural map at some point, the map borders will expand, you'll be able to explore more, scavenge more, and the world will continue expanding as you explore.

I also believe that we should be able to craft 'most' things, which they seem to slowly be moving towards with the way the Forging system has been described. So no, I don't really believe in respawning loot or supply drops in survival mode. If you want that kind of stuff it should be a server setting at most, but not enabled by default.

LeNwAr
12-28-2013, 10:34 PM
I agree with Drakemoore. I believe the best way to achieve the most realistic survival environment, is to have a procedurally generated map, giving the possibility of an almost endless world with a different map every game, which means there would be no need for air drops or respawning.

I think if the military had enough manpower and supplies to afford flying supplies to random little survivalist communities, they wouldn't bother anyway. They'd have a large, heavily defended base (since they obviously have control of an air strip), with all survivors camped up and protected within the base. Which essentially would mean 'game over' cause there would be nothing left to do once the military had picked you up. I'm sure their resources would be much better used in destroying the zombies.

This of course is assuming there IS a military and they haven't been wiped out. In that case, with procedural maps, there could be a rare chance (like 1% or 2%) of spawning an infected military base, which is filled with hard-to-kill armored zombies, but with great rewards if you manage to clear it out, like awesome weapons and food supplies.

Akimoto873
12-29-2013, 12:58 AM
I do agree with the possibility that items could respawn in certain areas (i.e. you should not be able to take a fridge and place it, only to find more food in it later).