Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 152

Thread: Microstuttering

  1. #76
    Leader Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Under the snow
    Posts
    5,569
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaFaden View Post
    Just adding here that the stuttering in 17.1 is out of control. I beefed up my rig recently with a 1080 GTX and 32 GB of ram ... and the stuttering is out of control. It's not a framerate issue per se, but moving the mouse right or left will often just STOP ... continue. It's like there are brief micro second moments of NOTHING and then back to normal. Last night it was terrible. No Z's, just me moving through my base and looking around at containers etc. STOP move STOP move. Going up a ladder FREEZE BLUR move BLUR move. At one point I was looking towards my spikes (no Zs or anything around) turned to move away, and in the middle of the 180 the game FROZE so much that Iw as actually back looking at the spike (full 360) and walked into them. It's worse than I ever remember in previous versions.
    Are you playing the game on an SSD? If so, which one (as not all SSDs are created equal)? Some SSDs are so terrible in performance, they might as well be a cheap hybrid hdd.

  2. #77
    Nomad AlyssaFaden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    367
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Are you playing the game on an SSD? If so, which one (as not all SSDs are created equal)? Some SSDs are so terrible in performance, they might as well be a cheap hybrid hdd.
    Thanks for the response. I never had this stuttering in 14 or 15, this happened when I rejoined in 17, but to answer your question:
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SATA3 2.5inch SSD

    I can easily move this to a Western Digital Black 1TB SATA3 for testing purposes.

  3. #78
    Leader Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Under the snow
    Posts
    5,569
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaFaden View Post
    Thanks for the response. I never had this stuttering in 14 or 15, this happened when I rejoined in 17, but to answer your question:
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SATA3 2.5inch SSD

    I can easily move this to a Western Digital Black 1TB SATA3 for testing purposes.
    Ok, that ssd isn't too old / dated, so that clearly isn't what's causing it. (as there is a stutter issue that relates to hdd bottleneck, but I haven't seen anyone with a decent ssd have that issue yet)
    Last edited by Fox; 01-24-2019 at 11:21 PM.

  4. #79
    Fun Pimps Staff
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,724
    Rep Power
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by ZehMatt View Post
    I've seen that in procmon, but I don't think it amounts to much, since it is a small file, but I don't think it needs to be doing that on a regular basis.

    I play the steam builds from a HD, but saves go to C, which for me is a fast SSD, so people with slow C drives might have more lag from world load/saves.

  5. #80
    Tracker Andargor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    165
    Rep Power
    0
    I don't normally have stuttering, EXCEPT when on my dual monitor setup I have a web page with the current map displayed (from the server extensions). I noticed that when that page updated, for example if I was riding on a bike and keeping it centered, it would stutter in-game. This happened whether I was in fullscreen mode n 7DTD or not.

    OS: Win 10 Pro
    CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K
    Mem: 64 GB
    GPU: GTX 1080 (Dual Monitor 1440p 144Hz, framerate capped at 60 fps)
    Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-H
    SSD: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2TB
    Last edited by Andargor; 01-25-2019 at 02:19 AM.

  6. #81
    Survivor ZehMatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    83
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by faatal View Post
    I've seen that in procmon, but I don't think it amounts to much, since it is a small file, but I don't think it needs to be doing that on a regular basis.

    I play the steam builds from a HD, but saves go to C, which for me is a fast SSD, so people with slow C drives might have more lag from world load/saves.
    Small or not you have to consider that you are sharing I/O resources with the entire operating system, this wouldn't be an issue if you can guarantee that 7DaysToDie is the only thing running on your computer. Also its not just the server configuration it constantly writes tiny bits into the rng files less often but still high frequency, I mean it should help making file operations async in general best avoid reads/writes as long as possible.

  7. #82
    Nomad AlyssaFaden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    367
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Ok, that ssd isn't too old / dated, so that clearly isn't what's causing it. (as there is a stutter issue that relates to hdd bottleneck, but I haven't seen anyone with a decent ssd have that issue yet)
    Chers.

    In all fairness I see it in other people (youtubers) playing, too.

    Kage has it and assumes it's lag and zombies spawning in (it never is)
    And JaWoodle has it and assumes it's lag from number of zombies (then curses a lot, lol), but it's the same stuttering that I also see ingame

  8. #83
    Hunter The_Great_Sephiroth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    123
    Rep Power
    0
    Well how come I don't get stuttering if it is the HDD? I run two 1TB WD Black disks (mechanical) in a RAID0. The OS lives on a WD 1TB Blue mechanical disk on a separate AHCI controller, so only games on the R0 array. Also, why does it happen on NVME which far surpasses SSD?

  9. #84
    Leader Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Under the snow
    Posts
    5,569
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Great_Sephiroth View Post
    Well how come I don't get stuttering if it is the HDD? I run two 1TB WD Black disks (mechanical) in a RAID0. The OS lives on a WD 1TB Blue mechanical disk on a separate AHCI controller, so only games on the R0 array. Also, why does it happen on NVME which far surpasses SSD?
    RAID0 is basically twice the performance of a single hdd setup, so obviously it'd perform a little better with this game. And I didn't say hdd / ssd performance was the cause for all the stutter issues. There are many stutter issues with this game, only one of which relates to hdd performance.

    List of stutter issues I know about:
    - hdd bottleneck stutters / lag ... (easily bypassed with hardware upgrade)
    - subtle but constant stop motion style stutters which you see everywhere on anything that moves, including shadows ... (no known solution for this one)
    - frame time lag causing stutters / split second game pause effect ... (Apparently v-sync fixes it for some ppl, does nothing for me though, and some ppl have it bad, others don't seem too bothered by it)
    - and apparently zed actions create stutters too ... (I have yet to see this one)
    - if you fly in circles around an object, you can see a trail / blocky texture effect on the object ... (This might relate to the stop motion one)
    - stutters caused by poor fps ... (fixed by getting a better computer)
    - there might be more, but it's difficult to keep track when there's already this many
    Last edited by Fox; 01-26-2019 at 04:23 AM.

  10. #85
    Colony Founder DUST2DEATH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    AU - HDHQ Overhaul
    Posts
    1,729
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    - subtle but constant stop motion style stutters which you see everywhere on anything that moves, including shadows ... (no known solution for this one)
    Shadow ticks are not a problem. Its how they work. Lots of games use this method for time scale.

  11. #86
    Leader Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Under the snow
    Posts
    5,569
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DUST2DEATH View Post
    Shadow ticks are not a problem. Its how they work. Lots of games use this method for time scale.
    I probably should have clarified... I didn't mean shadows moving around with the day/night cycle. I was more referring to when you walk around a shadow'd object like anything else... they all have that subtle stop motion stutter.

  12. #87
    Hunter The_Great_Sephiroth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    123
    Rep Power
    0
    I moved 7 Days to the single disk with no issues. It took a hair longer to load in, but once in-game I did not experience any difference in gameplay or framerate. I'd REALLY like to see what each player refers to as micro-stutter. I imagine we'll get videos of full-blown freezes, low framerate issues, and everything else. It's like people who use "lag" as a generic term for anything not right on their PC, such as low FPS, instead of the definition, which is high latency.

    Now, I need to tell Steam to move the game back to the array!

  13. #88
    Leader Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Under the snow
    Posts
    5,569
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Great_Sephiroth View Post
    I moved 7 Days to the single disk with no issues. It took a hair longer to load in, but once in-game I did not experience any difference in gameplay or framerate. I'd REALLY like to see what each player refers to as micro-stutter. I imagine we'll get videos of full-blown freezes, low framerate issues, and everything else. It's like people who use "lag" as a generic term for anything not right on their PC, such as low FPS, instead of the definition, which is high latency.

    Now, I need to tell Steam to move the game back to the array!
    You may have moved your game files to a standard hdd, but what about the save files?

    Also, my stutter issues have nothing at all to do with fps since I average around 100fps while on high settings.
    Last edited by Fox; 01-27-2019 at 04:21 AM.

  14. #89
    Hunter The_Great_Sephiroth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    123
    Rep Power
    0
    Fox, save files with 7 Days are ALWAYS on that disk. Your saves go into AppData\Roaming, which is inside your user account folder. The saves were on the 1TB WD Blue the entire time. The game files were on the R0 array. R0 is mounted at C:\Games. Steam is installed to C:\Games\Steam. This means 7 Days was originally (and is once again) on the R0 array. When I moved 7 Days outside of the Games folder structure it was on the single WD 1TB Blue disk, same as the OS and saves.

    Do you have vertical sync on? If not, try with that on. Otherwise it's pissing into the wind because there is no standard.

  15. #90
    Zombie Hunter
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Above dirt
    Posts
    419
    Rep Power
    1
    IMO, the stuttering is not video driver/card related. Frame rate seems fine when I experience stutter.

    Guessing the root cause to be more of a loading resources from disk issue.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •