Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I've been having a blast!

Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hek Harris View Post
    PE has been abandoned by the devs who then created My Time at Portia. PE is totally unfinished, and I was a huge fan of this game. Really hope than 7 Days won't take it as an example ^^.
    I still have hope that with the success of My time at Portia they go back to PE and finish the game.
    This is the first time devs abandoning the game actually gives me positive vibes. Finally I can complete the game without being afraid whether or not my save/story will be corrupted by new versions. Also I don't think there needs to be upkeep or whatnot as the game is as sandboxy as it can be. But ofc, if they ever come back to improve it, why not.

As for 7DTD ending the same way, why not? I mean, PE got abandoned after it got officially released (with some minor patches after release as well). Maybe you're used to this huge turbulence, content adding/changing etc. we have in 7DTD now, but remember that this is alpha, and stuff like this is typical for alphas. Then comes the beta with optimizations and small tweaks, and then comes the actual release, which will be pretty much set in stone and everything will be added/modified onto the stone base. Abandoning the game after release is not a normal or good practice, but it is completely normal and natural that the development speed and dynamics decrease, often to the point when you don't even know if someone is working on the game or not.

As for me, in the age of early access, alphas, betas etc. I'm very grateful when the developers actually make it to the 1.0 even if they abandon it right after. A promise is a promise, and I take it as fulfilled if the game releases fully. The only bad abandonment for me is when developers just leave the game in alpha/beta/EA, that is the true crime.
    Last edited by MaxTunnerX; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxTunnerX View Post
    Also you haven't lived until you've played Planet Explorers. I have yet to see a game which gives you exploration, story, survival, taking care of colony, building, digging, tower defense, designing and producing your own vehicles and weapons etc.
    mmh interesting. I tried an early build of PE and while I liked it, I also stopped playing soon. is it worth now? I like beeing able to do so many things as you say, but are they useful? I dont like creating for the sake of it, I want the creations to be useful. I love 7d2d bc the bases I create are good or bad against hordes, and I need to do them well. If I would just create bases with no real need of them, or at least no need for them to be good, I wouldnt like the game.

Hunter
    Your very design defines how good/useful the item is, so that's a yes I guess. But then again, you have to try it yourself, it doesn't matter how many players say yes or no to you.

Yeah, new players don't understand your suffering : they just enjoy the game as it is. Shame on them.

Welcome Apostrophe, nice to read your review
    I agree fully, his post was refreshing. I'm sick of reading all the negativity people spit out to others that are actually enjoying the game.

Welcome to the forums Apostrophe.

Yeah 7DTD is fantastic!

Wait till you get comfortable enough to start modding it.
    Then it gets even better.

Having a blast too!

Planet Explorers is worth the price as it currently stands. If you don't want to buy it on principle that's one thing. I hope they do a PE2 rather than waste more time on the first one. I would purchase a PE2 game.

I can't really think of a game "exactly like" 7D but I play different games for different reasons.

Rimworld is probably closest to the atmosphere of 7D. You progress and make a living. There is a constantly increasing threat that is also coming for you and things can go horribly wrong at any time.

I like Ark because of what it is, not despite of it. (ignoring the PVP aspect)
    It's a theme park where you are in complete control over what you are willing to do or risk and when. It's fun and relaxing. Nothing wrong with that.
    (Let's talk about Atlas (same developer) in a year or two. By then it may well be a solid game.)

Empyrion has nice open world gameplay and survival and a good bit of exploration but it's quite short. Once you can build your first decently armed hovercraft you have "won" the game. Everything after that is more of the same, only bigger. Building vehicles is fun but there is like no way to "do it wrong" so it quickly starts being about aesthetics.

Subnautica and The Forest are games where you play through a story and don't have much of an impact on the game world.

Subsistence also deserve a try. It's a very immersive game and the dev add content regulary.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpGi71QdD1s

I tried Mist too, loved the... mist in that game. But still need a lot of work.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FHgN8USt8Q

But at the end, more than 3000 hours in 7 Days, 60 in Subsistence and 30 in Mist...
    Last edited by Hek Harris; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:18 PM.

Subsistence also deserve a try. It's a very immersive game and the dev add content regulary.
    The dev behind Subsistence has quite a bit of 7 Days To Die play time in his profile I noticed. I've got in the library and will play it when eventually I get time to... hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by OzHawkeye View Post
    The dev behind Subsistence has quite a bit of 7 Days To Die play time in his profile I noticed. I've got in the library and will play it when eventually I get time to... hehe.
    Moderation is time-consuming I guess you'll play subsistence 2.

It looks like Rust a bit too much.

I have bought and played to date

Dark and light
    Animallica
    P.A.M.E.L.A
    Starbound
    Minecraft

( I have played others , but didnt exactly own them , and wasn't impressed enough to pay for them)

I alos have SCUM , but I only got to play for about 10 minutes when my power supply exploded , and took my processor with it ( my fault, got lax on cleaning vents, and the basement I live in has an issue with dust and lack of airflow.) I havent been able to bring myself to run it again since then , cause i associate it with exploding computers.

My favorites of those are Starbound and miecraft . Because of the bulding sytems . I hate building systems that rely on prefab parts , and love the block by block building system they use . Also , destructable terrain/ terraforming are a big yes for me .

7dtd has both of those things in spades , and I love it for that .

And , unlike some other games , I can play multiplayer without having to join a server . So when hosting for friends , when we are done , the game doesn't continue while we are offline. Which means I can sleep/ go to work without worrying that someone is going to wreck all my hard work/ rob me blind . Don't get me wrong , I don't hate PVP , and enjoy it from time to time . I just feel that I should be present for it , and both parties should be consenting ( unless you play Horde . Greenskins are asking for it).

So far , I'm loving A17 . Had problems in the beginning with stamina , but it passes quickly .

I tried Mist bc how much Kage said he liked it, and was totally disappointed. Everything seemed so.... static. Played 2 days only.

Ive seen starbound mentioned, so Ill add Terraria to the list. OMG is that game good. I played it a lot long ago, and still do some times. Content seems unending unless you play it for years. It also has one of the best coop modes ever. Games with online mode that let you pause when playing alone, are good. Games that even pause when all of the players in the server press pause, are even better. Also, the way you can take your char to different games/worlds,even in otehr servers, and even create a bank that links to your bank in other games, awesome QoL features for coop

Inventor
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    Subnautica and The Forest are games where you play through a story and don't have much of an impact on the game world.
    Just in case this comment puts anyone off trying The Forest, I have many hundreds of hours in that game and have not once advanced the story past the opening cut scene. The game is so good played as a survival sandbox that I never felt the need.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostlight View Post
    Just in case this comment puts anyone off trying The Forest, I have many hundreds of hours in that game and have not once advanced the story past the opening cut scene. The game is so good played as a survival sandbox that I never felt the need.
    Agree, it has a story, but it can be played as an open sandbox perfectly.