Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 130

Thread: Gamestage balancing may need to be looked at

  1. #31
    Inventor
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    765
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    The only reason 300 is the max is because TFP gave in to completionists who wanted to be able to get everything maxed given enough time. I would say that if you don’t feel compelled to max out then the true end is around level 150 which is enough to make you king of the world.
    Surely gamestage 600 is the true end? And you will need level 300 to get there, right? Or will this be A16 all over again and people claim they are king of the world when their gamestage is only halfway to max?

  2. #32
    Inventor
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    765
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirion View Post
    What level were you when gamestage was 120? Maybe 40?

    Max level is 300, you were 40 ish (guessing)

    Green zombies are the END GAME zombies of this game They should not pop up when you've only achieved 15-20% of max level in the game.
    Yes, they should and must. Any player who is not speccing Int will easily handle them. Solo players, tough luck, I sympathise.

  3. #33
    Leader Aldranon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Somewhere in a universe near you.
    Posts
    5,945
    Rep Power
    1
    Without any plot, the "End Game" is when the player stops playing (for whatever reason) or the dev stops the game (which would be bad for an open world).
    As most of us have their own ideas what an end looks like in A17: From "This sucks, can't finish Day 1 even" to "Dang, Day 3000 already??"

    SO, with that in mind, just get a "Factorio" style of massive option choices and "Pre-defined Option Sets" in place and let people do their thing, whatever that is.


    Also a rich and dynamic plot mechanic (modable) would be perfect for Navazgane (too much to ask in random I would guess?). So an "End Game" could be a valid topic.
    Last edited by Aldranon; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:42 AM. Reason: put (modable) in there cuz, fun!

  4. #34
    Inventor
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    765
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldranon View Post
    SO, with that in mind, just get a "Factorio" style of massive option choices and "Pre-defined Option Sets" in place and let people do their thing, whatever that is.
    Interesting idea. They could even add an option which would increase or reduce the number rads players will meet, which would solve this whole issue outright. They could call it "Difficulty" or something. Just an idea. :/

  5. #35
    Inventor Jugginator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    873
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostlight View Post
    No offence but I need all those rads to have even a little challenge. 30 zombies that are not rads would be absolutely nothing.

    I say again to anyone who is having an issue, TURN THE DIFFICULTY DOWN, and don't spoil the game for the rest of us with more nerfs. Unless you are playing on the lowest difficulty and cannot handle that, you have no complaint whatsoever. There is a setting for you. Use it. Sheesh.

    I played a solo game on Easy to try it and by the time rads came I could one shot them with a Shotgun. So there is absolutely no problem. Play on easy if you dislike it.
    Again, since apparently some are ignoring this over and over, I don't want nerfing of difficulty. I literally said I crave and need a challenge to keep playing a game. I said those 30 zombies should be TAILORED to your gamestage. I said to increase their damage and HP based on difficulty + gamestage. So, just under rad-stats. I said rads should be at the loot-rooms/ends of POIs, not everywhere since they are boss-type zombies.

    I guess you'll ignore this anyway and just say I need to turn the difficulty down. Sheesh. Normal zombies are a joke on survivalist, so they should be buffed and rad zombie sleepers return to their rare-boss state. Not littered everywhere.

  6. #36
    Fun Pimps Staff Gazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    In your brains. Thinking your thoughts.
    Posts
    8,526
    Rep Power
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jugginator View Post
    I said to increase their damage and HP based on difficulty + gamestage.
    ...
    I guess you'll ignore this anyway and just say I need to turn the difficulty down. Sheesh.
    That's because this is the worst kind of level scaling.

    Enemies that stay exactly the same... except they get more damage/HP as your level increases.

    If (some) players hadn't lost their ♥♥♥♥s over HP bars we would have a lot more options to scale enemies.
    Could be a different name signifying an increased stat or icons depicting extra abilities.

  7. #37
    Zombie Hunter
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    419
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    That's because this is the worst kind of level scaling.

    Enemies that stay exactly the same... except they get more damage/HP as your level increases.

    If (some) players hadn't lost their ♥♥♥♥s over HP bars we would have a lot more options to scale enemies.
    Could be a different name signifying an increased stat or icons depicting extra abilities.
    Couldnt you guys have just responded to those players and told them this. And then told them to get the hell over it and put it in anyway? Given them an option to turn it off, like turning off the hud if it hurts their pretending games are real life so much. (Since I'm sure immersion was their big complaint)

    Zombie "Boxer" Joe- 2x attack speed, chance for double strike type thing seems like a missed opportunity. I mean really it could still be done, there would just be no info available to the player on what attributes the Z's they are facing have. Ya, I guess that wouldnt work, idk.

  8. #38
    Inventor
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    765
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jugginator View Post
    Again, since apparently some are ignoring this over and over, I don't want nerfing of difficulty. I literally said I crave and need a challenge to keep playing a game. I said those 30 zombies should be TAILORED to your gamestage. I said to increase their damage and HP based on difficulty + gamestage. So, just under rad-stats. I said rads should be at the loot-rooms/ends of POIs, not everywhere since they are boss-type zombies.

    I guess you'll ignore this anyway and just say I need to turn the difficulty down. Sheesh. Normal zombies are a joke on survivalist, so they should be buffed and rad zombie sleepers return to their rare-boss state. Not littered everywhere.
    Why? You say you want challenge. A huge group of Irradiated is the only thing close to challenge. Grunts with more damage and HP would still be as laughable as they are, just more tedious. And what do you mean by Ferals with just below Rad HP? You mean the effective HP a Rad has including the regen? Or do you mean just the same amount-ish without counting the regen? If it's the former, what would the difference be between the two types? If it is the latter, those Ferals would still be laughable just more tedious.

    You say you don't want a nerf, but your suggestion sure sounds like one.

    As far as tailoring the zombies on gs goes, the type of irradiated you face does vary on GS. I am now getting a ton of Spiders where I didn't before, and they are absolutely nasty compared to all other Rads, including Cops - especially in numbers and inside tight POIs. They bounce all over the place making it hard to do sustained damage to overcome their regen, and they automatically inflict a sprained or broken leg if they hit you even once.

    Look I am not trying to blow my own trumpet but if you replace those huge groups of Rads with buffed Grunts or Ferals, it would be zero challenge to me. It is already not much of a challenge, other than the sheer time it takes to clear a tier 5, which I do find annoying and impractical.

    If anything, I would campaign for gamestage to rise MUCH faster than it does.
    Last edited by Ghostlight; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:50 AM.

  9. #39
    Survivor
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    66
    Rep Power
    0
    You're misunderstanding the issue here Ghostlight. The issue is not one of difficulty. The issue is one of resource management. The problem with huge swarms of rad-zombies isn't that they're hard, because they're not. The issue is that fighting huge numbers of rad-zombies in every structure makes scavenging resource-inefficient. Essentially, because of all the rad-zombies in every POI scavenging turns a net loss unless you play one of two ways. This kills a lot of the late-game variety because the majority of build paths can't keep up with the resource drain that all the rad-zombies represent and puts you in the odd situation where unless you play in a very specific way gathering resources will actually leave you with fewer resources than you started with.

    And Gazz, unfortunately part of the issue is that the situation you don't want is the issue you currently have, 'tougher' zombies (ferals, rads) are just zombies that do more damage and have more health. I don't feel any more threatened by a rad-zombie on Day 50 than I do by a regular zombie on Day 1, it just takes me more shots to put it down. Spider zombies and cops are more interesting. Personally I'd be happy to sacrifice 'realism' for more interesting gameplay, since 7 Days is trying to be a game to be enjoyed rather than a realistic simulator of post-apocalyptic survival.
    Last edited by BobTheBard; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:17 PM.

  10. #40
    Inventor
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    765
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBard View Post
    You're misunderstanding the issue here Ghostlight. The issue is not one of difficulty. The issue is one of resource management
    Pretty sure it isn't.

    The ammo you spend to enter a POI is the cost to loot it and finish a quest. I find that acceptable. Yes the loot may end up not worth it, but that is another thread entirely. You are not going in there to loot ammo or to come out with a net ammo gain, that's what mining is for.

    And many times it is worth it (5 points in Daring Adventurer is a must). We got the vast majority of our rarer and more powerful mods this way. You can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket. The ticket costs 500 Shotgun rounds per tier 5 POI. You can opt to play or not.

    And you could always melee them if ammo is a concern. I only use guns because I enjoy using guns.

    Finallly, as the group's miner, I find that 2 whole days mining in every 7 gives us enough ammo for horde night and looting all the POIs we want in between. If our ammo is dwindling, then for that week we will mine more than loot. Shrug. The balance seems fine to me.
    Last edited by Ghostlight; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:31 PM.

  11. #41
    Survivor
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    66
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostlight View Post
    Pretty sure it isn't.

    You know, for that huge blob of text you put forth, you missed one very fundamental thing. What if people aren't doing a level 5 trader quest?

  12. #42
    Inventor
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    765
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBard View Post
    You know, for that huge blob of text you put forth, you missed one very fundamental thing. What if people aren't doing a level 5 trader quest?
    Firstly why go into a tier 5 POI then? Scavenge in smaller, easier buildings. Common sense?

    Second, tier 5's typically have 2 to 3 loot rooms and many of them are much bigger than those in smaller POIs, so even without a quest they can be worth it.

    Third, TONS of XP.

    And finally, where I am there is absolutely nothing else to do in the game except tier 5 quests. We have everything; this is our artificial end-game. Most players will end up doing the same. It's actually fun - as long as you accept that the reward will be crap and it costs 500 shells to find out.

    Tier 5 POIs are a major under-taking. Not to be taken lightly, and certainly not to be entered for scavenging purposes. This is the end game. Prepare for it like you would horde night. Think of it like your guild's raiding nights in WoW. I relish the prospect of taking on many hundreds of Irradiated!
    Last edited by Ghostlight; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:44 PM.

  13. #43
    Survivor
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    66
    Rep Power
    0
    Ah. I see a key concept in your posts now that I didn't before, one thing that makes all the difference.

    We. Group. Guild.

    You're assuming everyone plays this game with a group. Many people don't. And the fewer people you have the more of a problem this is simply because you can't just send someone off to the mines and spend all day making bullets for you while you do other things. The 7 day timer keeps moving at the same rate regardless of how many people are in the game, and the gamestage doesn't much care how many people are around when it spawns things. So now imagine fighting those 75 rad-zombies by yourself, with no friends, with nobody backing you up, and knowing you're going to have to replace all of those bullets yourself before the next blood moon requires you to use even more of them. And then do it all with half the skills you have now, because as a single player you can't afford to specialize like you can when you're with a group. Maybe then you can get to see how this might become a problem for a lot of people.
    Last edited by BobTheBard; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:10 PM.

  14. #44
    Colony Founder RestInPieces's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,241
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    That's because this is the worst kind of level scaling.

    Enemies that stay exactly the same... except they get more damage/HP as your level increases.

    If (some) players hadn't lost their ♥♥♥♥s over HP bars we would have a lot more options to scale enemies.
    Could be a different name signifying an increased stat or icons depicting extra abilities.
    Doesn't the game already use the worst kind of level scaling?

    ...were you seriously thinking of putting monster affixes/icons in the ui?
    And why would you need these or hp bars to "scale" them in various ways and not just use (non-cartoony) visual indicators instead?

  15. #45
    Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Enemy for life
    Posts
    20,102
    Rep Power
    1
    Seems very much like a "I'm going to take my ball and go home" post gazz...

    Level areas, where you would expect them to be. Problem solved.

    Or hell, just use sheer numbers... Keep them spawning, like you do the blood moon.

    Performance issues you say?

    Trigger area activates the spawns, say, 50' from a door, and the spawns happen on the other side of the door... They all pour out.

    Once you cross the door, the spawn moves to the other side of a different, unexplored door... And so on.

    Spawns always happen out of sight. Yes, you'd need painted/shaped trigger areas.

    You guys are smart, you could figure it out.

    Numbers, not sponges.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •