Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: RWG Just When you think it can't get any worse

Quote Originally Posted by Necrodemus View Post
    Absolutely agree. I don't like making heated posts. I just love this little game and sometimes, while I will hold my voice for months, the scale can tip and I feel I need to interject. I thought I maintained it a bit better than some previous ones.

But they had it. They God damn had it in their hands and dropped it. I hope they can pull it back.
    Yep, pretty much.

Scavenger
    I made a new map today as 17.2 was downloadable.

Tried a 16k map rand seed - i hopped in and was 10 meters to the ocean.... My husband was 8 km away - he also saw ocean... We tried to come together - i tried to go at the shore and dont really could get to him - so he decides swimming though the ocean. After 40 min realtime we gave up - turned to cheat modus so we could fly: and we only see ocean... His spawnpoint was a small snowy island . mine was at the shore of snowy white nothing...

We only found ocean and snowing white desert - with nothing...

We deleted the world and i looked what others have experience with the new maps and see: seems the new map generation is makeing only huge biomes of "nothing" and ocean...

I loved the small biomes - cities, desert, snow, the black biome, the forest, the destroyed biome - i had several deserts, forest, snow bimoes and not only a large one...

I hope this will be fixed.

The RWG will probably need a lot of work to make it efficient at producing maps that aren't terrible in its current form.

Tracker
    Quote Originally Posted by Kattla View Post
    RWG might have a high priority, but other stuff have higher priority.
    How do you know this? Do you work at TFP?

Some things may not have a higher priority but may still be done sooner. Maybe they're simply be easier to do, or they're doable by a programmer who isn't working on RWG.

I think the biggest problem we have is while they listen to some people the general thought is it's their game they will do what they want and if you dont like it mod it out. But then they take away the tools to that and leave us hanging. The new rwg seeds looks like a dev who played to much fortnite in his spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Deluxe View Post
    Dont forget 17.2 is a experiemental release, not a stable.
    Which is why it's the most important time to voice concerns and complaints. If no one says anything because it's "an experimental release", "it's a beta", "it's early access" etc, then those problems are exactly what you will end up with when it gets pushed out finalised and everyone wonders why it wasn't changed.

Tracker
    Quote Originally Posted by grrmisfit View Post
    I think the biggest problem we have is while they listen to some people the general thought is it's their game they will do what they want and if you dont like it mod it out. But then they take away the tools to that and leave us hanging. The new rwg seeds looks like a dev who played to much fortnite in his spare time.
    I'm actually surprised this passed their test/quality group. The testers did not notice this weird island-like pattern when creating new worlds? Or perhaps the testers brought up the issue but were ignored due to the higher-ups decision to release the current version as-is. Another possibility is the pressure (from us) for them to release a new update that they didn't have time to fix this issue. If that is the case then I think they made a very bad decision. A working game is much important than an update just for the sake of it. I said it before and I'll say it again: 7D2D is all about interacting with the world. If there is no (working) world, there is no game...

Quote Originally Posted by Shark Pancake View Post
    Which is why it's the most important time to voice concerns and complaints. If no one says anything because it's "an experimental release", "it's a beta", "it's early access" etc, then those problems are exactly what you will end up with when it gets pushed out finalised and everyone wonders why it wasn't changed.
    I dont mean that critique would be wrong. i mean only things like
    Quote Originally Posted by khzmusik View Post
    ...I have no idea why TFP released an alpha with RWG this bad....

Refugee
    Will all maps be ocean island from now on, or is this just an incremental step for RWG?

Itís a work in progress. It is not the intended final version. If necessary for your own enjoyment load 17.1 and make a bunch of random maps. Then load 17.2 and play on those maps.

Quote Originally Posted by PPanda0421 View Post
    I'm actually surprised this passed their test/quality group. The testers did not notice this weird island-like pattern when creating new worlds? Or perhaps the testers brought up the issue but were ignored due to the higher-ups decision to release the current version as-is. Another possibility is the pressure (from us) for them to release a new update that they didn't have time to fix this issue. If that is the case then I think they made a very bad decision. A working game is much important than an update just for the sake of it. I said it before and I'll say it again: 7D2D is all about interacting with the world. If there is no (working) world, there is no game...
    The QA team could work on inputting seeds 24hrs a day, and it still wouldn't be enough time to find all the anomalies that can happen with a randomly generated world, especially one that is still being worked on, as the notes said. There will always be anomalies that happen, you'll never be able to fix them all, only make it less likely to happen.

It could be many things, just like it could be, they are just letting us see it's being worked on and not forgotten about, but it's still not ready either.
    We did opt-in to this after all.

My critique/suggestion for the terrain gen would be:
    Maybe consider making the 'seed' not affect things as much as they do. Tighten it up some by cutting the range it can affect things, in half?
    Maybe make a strength modifier for the 'seed' that can be attached to separate modules like: seed_strength="#.###".
    Maybe having set terrain generators geared for the different sizes, so it scales a bit better going from a 4k to 8k to 16k world?

Quote Originally Posted by PPanda0421 View Post
    I'm actually surprised this passed their test/quality group. The testers did not notice this weird island-like pattern when creating new worlds? Or perhaps the testers brought up the issue but were ignored due to the higher-ups decision to release the current version as-is.
    From the archives of the dev chat...

Kinyajuu: Made some good progress on RWG today.
    Testers: Does this mean youíre ready for us to test and give feedback?
    Kinyajuu: Not yet.

Often during development until a feature has reached a certain stage the devs actually do not want testers giving feedback. Itís a huge waste of time for testers to report issues already known or to ask, ď Do you want me to put in a ticket for the fact that most of the map is water?Ē

RWG is not meant to be tested or even really played with yet. You CAN but it is up to you to have as much fun as possible and the devs arenít even interested yet in feedback because they are still working on it.

If you like the 17.1 maps better then make some and play those while you wait. Otherwise itís Navezgane for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    It’s a work in progress. It is not the intended final version. If necessary for your own enjoyment load 17.1 and make a bunch of random maps. Then load 17.2 and play on those maps.
    Wish they would have left it alone when 17 experimental launched. At least we had a working map even if the snow was in the north, forest in middle, desert in the south.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    From the archives of the dev chat...

Kinyajuu: Made some good progress on RWG today.
    Testers: Does this mean you’re ready for us to test and give feedback?
    Kinyajuu: Not yet.

Often during development until a feature has reached a certain stage the devs actually do not want testers giving feedback. It’s a huge waste of time for testers to report issues already known or to ask, “ Do you want me to put in a ticket for the fact that most of the map is water?”

RWG is not meant to be tested or even really played with yet. You CAN but it is up to you to have as much fun as possible and the devs aren’t even interested yet in feedback because they are still working on it.

If you like the 17.1 maps better then make some and play those while you wait. Otherwise it’s Navezgane for now.
    t h a n k - y o u

Quote Originally Posted by Greymantle View Post
    Wish they would have left it alone when 17 experimental launched. At least we had a working map even if the snow was in the north, forest in middle, desert in the south.
    Maybe try loading 17.0 and create a map and then load 17.2 and play using that map. It might work...