Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: RWG Just When you think it can't get any worse

Refugee
    I've read through this thread and others about 17.2 exp RWG issues. And I'm left scratching my head as I'm a bit confused. Hopefully someone can tell me if this is correct:

1: RWG in 17.2 (experimental) is pretty borked.
    2: 17.2 experimental was knowingly released with the borked RWG.
    3: If you don't like that then play 17.1 or past versions of 17 or even 16.

Okay all that is fair enough. It is an alpha game and the experimental branch is exactly that, experimental. There will be issues.

Where I am confused is... when 17.2 goes from experimental branch to stable branch will the RWG be in it's current state or vastly improved over the current state? Some comments seemed to suggest it won't be 'improved' until 17.3.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I've read through this thread and others about 17.2 exp RWG issues. And I'm left scratching my head as I'm a bit confused. Hopefully someone can tell me if this is correct:

1: RWG in 17.2 (experimental) is pretty borked.
    2: 17.2 experimental was knowingly released with the borked RWG.
    3: If you don't like that then play 17.1 or past versions of 17 or even 16.

Okay all that is fair enough. It is an alpha game and the experimental branch is exactly that, experimental. There will be issues.

Where I am confused is... when 17.2 goes from experimental branch to stable branch will the RWG be in it's current state or vastly improved over the current state? Some comments seemed to suggest it won't be 'improved' until 17.3.
    I would certainly hope RWG would be substantially better before A17.2 was declared stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Deluxe View Post
    Really ?
    i love the last map i played
    As a test, I checked this map out - more than half the POI's were radio towers. A good number of POI's to be sure, but not sure I'd rate this as "enjoyable" just yet - hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by OzHawkeye View Post
    As a test, I checked this map out - more than half the POI's were radio towers. A good number of POI's to be sure, but not sure I'd rate this as "enjoyable" just yet - hehe.
    Well sure
    - Only 3 trader
    - Tons of radio towers
    - Too much green for my taste
    + over 3000 POIs so no matter if 300 are radio towers (must be on Cuba)
    + Straight streets
    + Even ground
    + Not too much wasteland

All arguments about publishing/developing/Alpha/Gamma/Beta aside;

I think the current system in the current latest_unstable version should not have been included in this unstable version. Yeah, I know, we are supposed to test for bugs, yada yada, but the current RGW is clearly a broken WIP. So why include it?

Straight streets? In A17? Liar!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DaVegaNL View Post
    All arguments about publishing/developing/Alpha/Gamma/Beta aside;

I think the current system in the current latest_unstable version should not have been included in this unstable version. Yeah, I know, we are supposed to test for bugs, yada yada, but the current RGW is clearly a broken WIP. So why include it?
    Its not about including it or not including it. It is simply that you guys get the same exact builds used for internal development. Build 20 was where they were at when they decided to push out what they had. Some changes had been committed to RWG but not all. Kinyajuu isn't going to upset his work by being careful to commit or not commit changes when he feels its time to do so because of experimental release schedules. They don't create special builds to push out for the players. They push out the ones they are using for development at that time. They could have waited but they wanted people to test the new options and see if other fixes had taken. This is what I mean by them literally treating Early Access as access to the actual development process. People complain about having to revert because the current build doesn't work for them but this is something that regularly occurs over time internally as well. Not good for folks who just want to play a game but interesting as hell for those who wanted a real peak.

They have listened to the overwhelming feedback of people wanting smaller updates more often and are trying to avoid waiting until lots of things are done before pushing out what they have.
    Last edited by Roland; 5 Days Ago at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Straight streets? In A17? Liar!!!!

Its not about including it or not including it. It is simply that you guys get the same exact builds used for internal development. Build 20 was where they were at when they decided to push out what they had. Some changes had been committed to RWG but not all. Kinyajuu isn't going to upset his work by being careful to commit or not commit changes when he feels its time to do so because of experimental release schedules. They don't create special builds to push out for the players. They push out the ones they are using for development at that time. They could have waited but they wanted people to test the new options and see if other fixes had taken. This is what I mean by them literally treating Early Access as access to the actual development process. People complain about having to revert because the current build doesn't work for them but this is something that regularly occurs over time internally as well. Not good for folks who just want to play a game but interesting as hell for those who wanted a real peak.

They have listened to the overwhelming feedback of people wanting smaller updates more often and are trying to avoid waiting until lots of things are done before pushing out what they have.
    Fair point, more updates the better, obviously. However, from a testing/playing point-of-view; this might be a bit counterproductive (or even intuitive). Because of a massively borked system (RGW, in this case, everyone seems to agree here, it seems), I don't play the unstable version. Many people apparently don't. So will TFP gather enough feedback to improve upon it?

It's like being asked to Q&A your driving experience to the office every day, whilst being given zero traffic, good roads, 3 tires, a clutch, and 1 windscreen-wiper. Obviously one cannot Q&A this experience, besides the obvious complaints that one hasn't been given a coffee-cup holder.

Quote Originally Posted by DaVegaNL View Post
    Fair point, more updates the better, obviously. However, from a testing/playing point-of-view; this might be a bit counterproductive (or even intuitive). Because of a massively borked system (RGW, in this case, everyone seems to agree here, it seems), I don't play the unstable version. Many people apparently don't. So will TFP gather enough feedback to improve upon it?

It's like being asked to Q&A your driving experience to the office every day, whilst being given zero traffic, good roads, 3 tires, a clutch, and 1 windscreen-wiper. Obviously one cannot Q&A this experience, besides the obvious complaints that one hasn't been given a coffee-cup holder.
    It's fine. The bug thread seems pretty robust and the QA guys are active on there responding to the bug reports as well as making their own as they continue to play. Everything that the devs would like to be tested can be tested in Navezgane perfectly fine to be honest. There is no argument to be made for the ability to test being hampered. The only real argument is for the ability to have fun for just playing. Those who are super interested in testing will play Navezgane so they can continue to test because that is what they want to do. Those who are just interested in playing a fun game are the ones having a tough time, understandably.

Madmole likes specific balancing comments and lurks around the forums reading and deciding whether he agrees or not with the sentiments he comes across. Just today he changed the vending machines after reading some comments over the weekend and considering what he felt was best.
    Last edited by Roland; 5 Days Ago at 07:59 AM.

snip
    I was joking! I believe you. I was poking fun at A17 RWG itself and its awful roads...lol

I was joking! I believe you. I was poking fun at A17 RWG itself and its awful roads...lol
    Yep, i thought this. But no reason to miss the opportunity to advertise this really nice seed ^^

Yep, i thought this. But no reason to miss the opportunity to advertise this really nice seed ^^
    It's one of the best seeds I've played.

There are so many POI's I've only found 2 animals to hunt. So I have to loot or trade to live. I wore out a fresh tier 1 iron club on one POI, I don't know were they were coming from which included about a dozen of the lumberjacks, which I became very good at fighting after that!

Scavenger
    I would have just say: "Sorry some changes that broke RWG are included in A17.2. Navezgane isn't affected so go ahead and give it a try."

It would have sounded better than: "RWG is broken and the dev aren't ready to hear any feedback about it coz they know how broken it is. Don't play 17.2 if you can't deal with it."

As much as I wanted to test out A17.2 and see how RGW's coal issue fix works, RGW isn't working so no point testing that right now. It is not like we don't have a working game on hand coz we still have those older Alpha. I will make a new game in A17.1 until they get RGW fixed.

Roland,
    I know this request is near impossible, very time consuming and a lot of work, but do you think there is "Any" chance that perhaps, sometime in the near future, yourself, Madmole and maybe a few others from the Dev team would be willing to run an hour or two long Podcast, where you scan questions and comments from folks who tune in and give the Dev team a chance to answer questions directly and have some players hear the answers they just can't seem to understand by reading on the forums? It would let the Dev team give accurate updates and hints at future plans/ideas.. comment on notes they have received from the player base and give folks the reassurance that their thoughts are being heard.

Just an idea about how to let the players and Devs "connect". We are all working towards the exact same goal; a Great Game.