0. You may not vote on this poll
  • [size="3"]Release Estimate: Sept/Oct

0 0%
  • 0 0%
  • -------------------------------------------------------

0 0%
  • Check the First Post for Updated News

0 0%
  • The following are off-topic for this thread but may be discussed in General Discussions:

0 0%
  • Release Dates, Game Mods, LBD, Level Caps, Blood Moon Evasion, Water and Boats

0 0%
  • quest marker, killable trader, book xp

0 0%
Page 1049 of 1498 FirstFirst ... 49549949999103910471048104910501051105910991149 ... LastLast
Results 15,721 to 15,735 of 22470

Thread: Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

Quote Originally Posted by NukemDed View Post
    [deep breath]
    what is dm mode?
    dm = debug menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dimpy View Post
    I was under the impression there was a variable for all blocks that was multiplied times the durability to determine how easily the AI thinks it can go through it, and that doors were set to 0.5.

I get that in order for the AI to seem intelligent and to prevent horde cheesing, the Cost of a block needs to be roughly similar to how hard it actually is to break through it. However, I don't see why a strict 1:1 correspondence is necessary. Maybe the time it would take to edit the XMLs, test and balance wouldn't be worth it, but I feel like making blocks slightly asymmetric with regard to how much they get targeted by zombies could have a positive effect on game feel.
    That is how it works. Been like that since A17. You asked if any of that was new or tweaked. The answer is no. A18 is same as A17.

Doors are 25%, but they are typically 2 blocks in size, so 50% of 2 blocks. I don't see a need to tweak one block to be x% of another. They already use the block health. AI already uses variation in block health vs distance based on AI intelligence level. I see no benefit in slapping arbitrary variations on blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Trankitas View Post
    Sorry about that
    No worries, I took those stamina-enhancing pills!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SnowDog1942 View Post
    Im glad someone wants a challenging game. I feel alone with this thought sometimes, then I cry.
    .. And after crying?

so,
    not console as in xbox/ps which is what i assume gup was poking fun at,
    dm is pressing f1 in the pc version to bring up the console
    simple really i suppose...

Zombie Hunter
    Can we have Arrow goes through broken Door, I mean we can visibly view against the broken door, but arrows cannot go through, seems little out. Or change the graphics of door to now show what is on other side of door until it is completely broken ?

Tracker
    Quote Originally Posted by TSRViper View Post
    Easy there Ouch, we’re not scheduled for a forum fire for at least another two weeks!
    What do you mean, in two weeks? If we can't play A18 after the coming weekend, there'll be riots! We'll even bring the console crowd and write many forum posts expressing how angry we are, right after the letter we sent to the United Nations Council due to the crimes against humanity committed by the pimps because they let us wait so long, which is psychological torture as defined by the Geneva Convention. They might even consider a "military option" to end our suffering and drop supply crates with "liberated" copies of A18.

Viva la instalación!

Quote Originally Posted by faatal View Post
    The lack of block knowledge you describe and then acquired by seeing would be expensive. Each zombie would have to be raycasting all over the place to check visibility and store that block visibility for themselves and path calcing would have to use that zombie's visibility data as it checked each block. Animals make assumptions about 3d space and randomly run around to look for access, so zombies could too.

You could also look at it this way. Zombies do have xray vision in the form of heat and air current sensing, so they do see more heat leaking through weaker blocks and a hyper sense of smell, so every crack entices them.
    Zombies might have better senses in terms of smelling where brains are and being able to see heat maps, but in the example, they had knowledge about the structure that they hadn't seen. Nothing to do with me as a player.

In my mind I don't think they really need to acquire the block knowledge at any point. The only knowledge they should have is that BRAAAAAINS are in that skull of the person they are looking at, and then they go for it. Like they did in previous alphas.

When A17 first hit, I saw a lot of angry posts about the 'structural engineer' zombies, but then they mostly quietened down when Roland said the new AI was just a baseline for the bandits, and would be be adjusted down for the zombies. It does not sound like that is your intention. It sounds like you are happy with how they behave. Am I correct in thinking that?
    Last edited by hotpoon; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:41 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by unholyjoe View Post
    hell he has even replied to himself just to get more points... he had to be banned for a week because he got in a serious cussing fight with himself... it was rough... everybody was walking on egg shells around here.

if you believe that, i will cook up another one.
    That's not too far from the truth anyway.

If memory serves Guppy has replied to his own posts with counter-arguments quite recently. That's either a sign of someone who can see, and propose, multiple viewpoints at the same time or a symptom of severe cognitive dissonance. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by madmole View Post
    Dude our art team made Rage and various Doom games. Let our art team do their job. It looks better than it ever has and if you think otherwise you need your head or eyes examined, as id games are always praised for their art. I'm sure 7 days will look amazing when its finished we're in the best hands money can buy. As I said its a WIP and until the new renderer comes online and every texture is redone its not going to look right.
    Not to go back to this but I've been thinking about those wall textures a lot lol. I hope you're right Joel and I hope the art team makes the textures less grim not the other way around. Alpha 17 was great on deco and poi building as far as level design goes. So yes it does look better but I don't think it was the textures that did it. I'm sure the guys from id are doing an amazing job but can the pois feel relatively hospitable so that touring around them is slightly pleasant. What is the new rendering going to improve?
    Last edited by Zombiepoptard; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:24 AM.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by DaVegaNL View Post
    No worries, I took those stamina-enhancing pills!

- - - Updated - - -

.. And after crying?
    We don't want to know!!!!!!

I'm sure Snowdog is like a benevolent father figure to many young forum users here. We have to protect their innocent souls.

Won't somebody please think of the children?

And yes, Unicorns.

Quote Originally Posted by Eromivus View Post
    As a former QA Lead in the gaming industry, it's refreshing for me to hear this sentiment from a dev. A lot of devs paid lip-service to it, but would shut you down with prejudice the second the philosophy became inconvenient for them. You say it like you actually mean it.
    You QA people can be an annoying bunch but unfortunately... this just doesn't work without you.

It's extremely rare that a report will be ignored and even then the design gets looked at because even if something works as designed - if it looks like a bug then the design was not very good.
    You do need considerable self-confidence to go ahead and design anything but once you start ignoring everything that disagrees with your vision you have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilthanaz View Post
    What do you mean, in two weeks? If we can't play A18 after the coming weekend, there'll be riots! We'll even bring the console crowd and write many forum posts expressing how angry we are, right after the letter we sent to the United Nations Council due to the crimes against humanity committed by the pimps because they let us wait so long, which is psychological torture as defined by the Geneva Convention. They might even consider a "military option" to end our suffering and drop supply crates with "liberated" copies of A18.

Viva la instalación!
    Yeah...or that 😉

Zombie Hunter
    QA: "if someone does this, it crashes the install"
    Dev: "why would anyone do that?"
    QA: "let me show you..."
    Dev: "oh! I guess I better fix that"

yes, actually happened. Mind you, it was a reasonable question from them, and the response funny. Even other testers said the same 'why would anyone do that?'.

(issue was, if you held the enter key down during install, it would barf. stupid right? why would you do that?
    installing from FLOPPIES took time, so you get out of your chair, shove it in towards the desk, and the
    right arm of the chair happens to push down on the enter key of the number pad on the keyboard...

"Oh! guess I better fix that" indeed.

One of those found totally by accident bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by canadianbluebeer View Post
    One of those found totally by accident bugs.
    The best bug I found (different game) was that you put a medic into a shuttle, flew him down to the surface and disembarked. Then used the shuttle's tractor beam to tow the poor sap to space. Then you used the battlecruiser's emergency vehicle recovery tractor beam to try and recover the medic.
    That would crash the game.

That wasn't accidental, though, but me actively trying to break the game.

Refugee
    when will the a 18 stream start ?