0. You may not vote on this poll
  • [size="3"]Release Estimate: Sept/Oct

0 0%
  • 0 0%
  • -------------------------------------------------------

0 0%
  • Check the First Post for Updated News

0 0%
  • The following are off-topic for this thread but may be discussed in General Discussions:

0 0%
  • Release Dates, Game Mods, LBD, Level Caps, Blood Moon Evasion, Water and Boats

0 0%
  • quest marker, killable trader, book xp

0 0%
Page 1266 of 1558 FirstFirst ... 26676611661216125612641265126612671268127613161366 ... LastLast
Results 18,976 to 18,990 of 23357

Thread: Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlabasterW View Post
    I love the demolisher zombies! The design is rad as hell; I like how it looks like a biker realized he was turning and just strapped some C4 to himself to go out with a bang
    The beeping is terrifying!
    It looks to useful to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by meganoth View Post
    This is exactly Rolands point: It is you who thinks he needs to follow the path and not break through walls and not nerpole. Neither the game nor the developers (as far as I know) have ever stated that you should not do that. Maybe this is a myth the users of this forum created for themselves because getting at the best loot was always too predictable and easy.

Which points to the real fault: The big loot-bonanza end room. And the solution: Distribute or randomize the loot in POIs
    My solution was to remove the POI's. But that was A17, not sure if that is still playable in A18.
    Cons: Few wild zombies.
    Which makes progress dead slow.
    Which is a little bit boring in the long run.
    Makes playing regular 7d2d feel like survival in a supermarket.
    Pros: Feels more like survival.
    Far better immersion.
    Gives back some of the "good old 7 days to die" feel.
    Makes the wasteland biome attractive, for once. (for the cars to loot).

Thanks to those here on the forum that made me do that experiment. It was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by OP LORD View Post
    Hi.
    In A16 was no problem with finding coal but in A17 is hard to mining and find some coal.
    It is possible to craft some coal from wood? It an real thing process in real life. I guess it can be more good mining coal then made from wood.
    Mining is fixed in A18. There are huge signs that say COAL HERE DUMMY with an arrow all over the world now. I made them for me, because I am a dummy and coudln't find coal, or any ore tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by agrastiOs View Post
    The video was amazing!

The gyrocopter getting blown up was hilarious, sorry
    I really liked the panic moments too.
    Thanks yes you know the game is getting good when you can just crank out 2 great videos in a row with zero editing.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    I'm all for new mechanics but you know what felt really samey? All the non-dungeon POI's with their repeated mechanics (zombie on the floor in middle of the room, zombie in the corner unobstructed by anything and killable from the doorway, walking into a building and seeing everything there is to see from the door, a room with a couch, a dresser, a tv on the wall, chairs, and drapes, maybe a duffel bag in the corner, go up stairs --> end of hall --> bedroom --> ladder --> attic) It grew old and new was made. In the future new new will be made and hopefully with new mechanics.

But why more of old?
    The impression I got was the design you mentioned was more of a design unique to Diersville than one unique to all POIs lacking a dungeon crawl. Surely you understand that its possible to make a building interesting without adding the horde of zombies, linear path, and loot room that has come to define the dungeon crawl...

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meganoth View Post
    This is exactly Rolands point: It is you who thinks he needs to follow the path and not break through walls and not nerpole. Neither the game nor the developers (as far as I know) have ever stated that you should not do that. Maybe this is a myth the users of this forum created for themselves because getting at the best loot was always too predictable and easy.

Which points to the real fault: The big loot-bonanza end room. And the solution: Distribute or randomize the loot in POIs
    Let's be real on this point. They may not have said those words, but they sure as hell have used harder blocks than the textures give the impression of to prevent people from doing just that. Cement painted like wood, basically says "we want you to go this way."

Chopping straight through "voxel loot style" is not as feasible as it sounds on paper.

These things are designed in every way to make you go down a specific path.

Except nerd polling, which thankfully MM said they would be addressing.

Quote Originally Posted by madmole View Post
    Mining is fixed in A18. There are huge signs that say COAL HERE DUMMY with an arrow all over the world now. I made them for me, because I am a dummy and coudln't find coal, or any ore tbh.
    do i dig in the direction of the arrow? ... because some of mine are pointing in n,e,w,s positions and not down or up..

i am so confused now.

also, when i see an arrow in a poi, is that a cue for something?

sorry... i couldnt resist... i'll go hide in my cave now.

i simply loved the day 84 video... was worth staying up to see it.

Survivor
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctoras View Post
    This would:
    - fix the nerdpoling to loot issue
    - randomize and revitalise gaming experience
    - remove the "one way street" feeling of dungeon POIs to some extent.

Very good idea. Spread out the loot, no need for it to be all in the final mega bonanza room
    I find it irritating when people refer to nerdpoling as an issue, not a jab at you in particular but just in general. (Re: your comment, you do make a good point on spreading out loot.)

The game is supposed to be creative, and yet it seems more of a backdrop to an evolutionary arms race between the devs (and some players) and the player base at large.

The devs add features and people use those features creatively, then other people complain and the devs have to find a way of preventing this creative use, only for the first players to find a workaround.

This continues to the point where there are workarounds to workarounds.

I dont mean workarounds to exploits either, but I mean things like building underground.

That is an entirely legitimate, creative, and individual choice which was removed because a certain few other people found the preferences of their fellow zombie slayers disagreeable.

This is tyrranical, and forces the game into a 'no escape from zombies' nightmare where the freedom is non existent or extremely limited, since no matter what players do to avoid fighting - their pacifism is countered with an inevitable confrontation with the undead.

Some will suggest turning zombies off, but that is an affront to the free choice of playstyle for people who would like a safe place to retreat to and the option to go and hunt zombies when it pleases them.

Much in the same vein as the discussion regarding POI's, the option of a slider or 'on-off' for zombie digging would literally please everyone while favouring noone, and still allow those who like them to enjoy the features the devs have added.

I think it adds to a more personal and deeply appreciated experience of the game. Just my tuppence worth 😁
    Last edited by Zombie_Jam; 1 Week Ago at 04:09 PM.

Refugee

A worry

Yes I wasted points on electricity and getting to int 5.
    A little worried by this statement. As someone who would dump into INT and be the crafting base-building guy a mixture of your statements over the development for A18 has me worried you are making crafting a pointless endeavor. If stats on found items are almost always better than crafted ones, why bother. If much of the crafting is being shifted to other skills what is left in intelligence. If you are more interested in promoting active defense options rather than passive ones, what will be left for people that like to improve their wall, trap layout and layers of defense. I am worried that you see the videos of people abuseing the AI and assume everyone is doing that and trying to balance against that.

I'm worried even more by the Demolisher and what I saw in your video with it. compared to the concrete citadels I tend to create they would break a few blocks of concrete at most; I was hoping the Demolisher would be some Helms deep kind of wall blasting scenario, he just seemed like a cop with a timer on him.

Can you allay any of these worries?

Tracker
    Madmole.
    I think it was before your first BM Video, where you said that you increased the Zombies so that they come in masses from 22:00 till 4:00 and not only until Midnight.

Is this a general change? Or did you tweak your personal XMLs? If so, could you please eloborate wich ones, or make it a Server Config?
    I only began to fiddle around with XMLs but kept my hands away from Spawn or Gamestage stuff

Thanks a lot.

Survivor
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukeirot View Post
    A little worried by this statement. As someone who would dump into INT and be the crafting base-building guy a mixture of your statements over the development for A18 has me worried you are making crafting a pointless endeavor. If stats on found items are almost always better than crafted ones, why bother. If much of the crafting is being shifted to other skills what is left in intelligence. If you are more interested in promoting active defense options rather than passive ones, what will be left for people that like to improve their wall, trap layout and layers of defense. I am worried that you see the videos of people abuseing the AI and assume everyone is doing that and trying to balance against that.

I'm worried even more by the Demolisher and what I saw in your video with it. compared to the concrete citadels I tend to create they would break a few blocks of concrete at most; I was hoping the Demolisher would be some Helms deep kind of wall blasting scenario, he just seemed like a cop with a timer on him.

Can you allay any of these worries?
    I second these questions, particularly regarding intelligence, crafting, and the random stats.

And I sincerely hope they aren't moving away from crafting, that's one of the things I love most about 7D 😕
    Last edited by Zombie_Jam; 1 Week Ago at 04:16 PM.

my perception of MM videos.

MM is merely showing some of the possibilities of the perk system and not concentrated to one individual... it will be up to the players to choose which path you want. actually his play style would be similar to some of the single player styles that would benefit him in that particular game.

he is pretty well much proving that regardless what choices he makes and mistakes or glitches that happen (gyro RIP)... he is able to play... enjoy himself and survive...

trust me... the demolisher may or may not get a little assist here and there as that was the grand debut appearance of him and for the first test... he (the demolisher) did extremely well.

Tracker
    I think you guys are missing the point completely......he said these things concerning the build he made, not the game in general. You want to craft? Then perk into a craft build. You want to perk into electricity and intelligence? Make an intelligence build. You can no longer max everything in the same time period as you could in A17 and before. Since leveling is much much slower, you have to choose perks carefully. For his current build, spending points in intelligence was a bad move. Crafting will always be a major aspect of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareee View Post
    Ok, after watching the first 5 minutes of the new Dying light 2 play footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZybPBQV980

I REALLY want the para-sail for descending from high locations (the gyro code could be repurposed with new arm animations), And the grappling struggle minigame might be a nice addition as well. (Maybe a instant power shove knock down could be a book learnable skill?)

They have a contagion zone that could work like the radiation zone addition Joel mentioned, and the portable uv light defenses are really nice. Those could work in 7 days as well, and might make a nice new additional low lag powered trap defense to slow horde night attacks to give us more time to thin the herd.

I wonder if the slide knock down mechanic could also be added as a book unlockable melee skill?

We LOVED Dying light in a different way to love 7 days.
    Looks very good. I think their games are geared for an amazing short (30 hours?) experience, but after you beat it I doubt there is any replay ability right away. I like the player/zombie interactive animations, that is something we have a team that can do now, but it might not really happen for 7 days, possibly a bit, that is something you design from the ground up not tack on the last home stretch.

Tracker
    Looks very good. I think their games are geared for an amazing short (30 hours?) experience, but after you beat it I doubt there is any replay ability right away. I like the player/zombie interactive animations, that is something we have a team that can do now, but it might not really happen for 7 days, possibly a bit, that is something you design from the ground up not tack on the last home stretch.
    do I smell a sequel where they do?