Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to run the client natively on Linux

Fun Pimps Staff

How to run the client natively on Linux

Hi,

as I got the server to run natively including Steam features I was wondering if it would also work for the client ... And yes, it does
    It does not really run smooth on my Linux machine, but it only has Intel integrated graphics as it's a machine for working. So I think it should run smoother with a proper graphics adapter.

Thanks to DerPopo for the Linux engine files!

So what do you have to do in order to run it?

1. Get the archive containing the Linux files: http://illy.bz/fi/7dtd/7dtd_client_linux_unity45.tar.gz
    2. Make sure you have the 32 Bit SteamworksManaged.dll from Install/32Bit/ in 7DaysToDie_Data/Managed/
    3. Unpack it to the root of your 7dtd installation (copy from Windows or get it with SteamCMD)
    4. Make sure the Steam client is running
    5. Run the game by launching _RunLinux_.sh

If everything's went fine you should get to the main menu. If not ... well, there's something going wrong
    Send me the Player.log found in ~/.config/unity3d/The Fun Pimps/7 Days To Die/Player.log.

Regards,
    Alloc

Hi Alloc,

I don't have this game yet as I only use Linux. If I did buy it, would I be able to download the game (without the wine hassle) ?

Fun Pimps Staff
    Not with the normal GUI Steam client, but with SteamCMD (though you still need to have the normal GUI client running when running the game ).
    Though I can't promise that it would run satisfying as I can't test with a more powerful GPU.

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

This will make many people furious as it basically means they just didn't bother to press the export button.

Runs like a charm! Still 8.4 here, as I copied the installation from my Windows partition and I didn't boot Windows yet to update to 8.5. Have to check out steamcmd some day.

7dtd_linux.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Temar View Post
    This will make many people furious as it basically means they just didn't bother to press the export button.
    Exactly what I was thinking, come on devs, it's an alpha we don't expect it to work flawlessly anyway.

Alloc, I tried SteamCMD with on other windows only game I have in my library. I can not downloaded due to an "Invalid Platform"

Fun Pimps Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower4478 View Post
    Alloc, I tried SteamCMD with on other windows only game I have in my library. I can not downloaded due to an "Invalid Platform"
    You need to explicitly specify the platform when downloading:
    Code:
    ./steamcmd.sh +@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType windows +login <STEAM_USER> <STEAM_PASS> +force_install_dir <TARGETFOLDER> "+app_update 251570" validate +quit
    (Obviously replace the variables)

Thx Alloc, I just noticed the +@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType windows option.

Downloading now, hope I won't regret

Tested it for a while. At least at maximum settings, the game runs far worse than on Windows, probably due to Unity's OpenGL renderer. I didn't bother to reduce the settings though, as it runs well enough on my machine (i7 2600, GTX 580).

Also it has some minor glitches but overall it is very playable.

Those engine files, were these generated by simply exporting an empty project? I have no experience with Unity, never used it.

Fun Pimps Staff
    The executable (7dtd.x86) and the files in 7DaysToDie_Data: yes
    The library files (lib*.so and steamclient.so) were taken from another Unity based game that supports Linux

Quote Originally Posted by Alloc View Post
    The executable (7dtd.x86) and the files in 7DaysToDie_Data: yes
    The library files (lib*.so and steamclient.so) were taken from another Unity based game that supports Linux
    Is it possible to export the project with debugging symbols enabled? I'd like to check what the engine is doing, because atm it is heavily CPU bound and I'd like to see if there is a problem with the engine or if it is really running somewhere deep inside the game code. Something does not seem to be right. One CPU core is constantly saturated on my machine. It runs well enough, but I suspect it could run far better.

Fun Pimps Staff
    You'll have to ask DerPopo about that, I only created the engine files for the headless server

After installing a bunch of 32bits libraries, I can now start the game, but it is telling me that I am not connected to steam while steam client is started and connected. Any ideas ?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower4478 View Post
    After installing a bunch of 32bits libraries, I can now start the game, but it is telling me that I am not connected to steam while steam client is started and connected. Any ideas ?
    I have no idea how the Steam client is detected by the Steam framework, so just a wild guess here:

Many Windows users on this forum had the same problem and the solution was to execute install_32bit.bat. As you used steamcmd to download the game, maybe you are missing some files which would be copied by this script to their correct location, like e.g. SteamworksManaged.dll. You might want to check out that script and see what it does.

Fun Pimps Staff
    Please go to ~/home/ci/.config/unity3d/The Fun Pimps/7 Days To Die/ and send me the Player.log in there.

(It's probably what Temar already suggested: SteamworksManaged.dll has to be for 32 bit, i.e. copy it from Install/32bit/ to 7DaysToDie_Data/Managed/)

Got it working, I copied the dll in the from directory. Cheers