Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hackers on our server

Hackers on our server

This is a constant problem on our server, we have had our player names taken by hackers, they come in ask whose admin, then suddenly we are banned or our names are taken by these hackers, they enter the server chatting like they are the real owner of that name.

This is so frustrating, if your not waging war at multiple fronts getting rid of players who drop nothing on death, when the server setting is toolbelt drops on death, or hackers/dupers coming along to spam keystones all over the map, Bedrock buildings, safe spam all along the countryside, one punch kills, spawning items not available to craft, speed hacks flying hacks. the list goes on and on.

Your game is being corrupted, and the measures taken to prevent that is getting pooped on by these hackers, admins can only do so much. Help us fight against the hackers so your game isnt tarnished further.

In The Festering, Disease-Ridden Bowels Of South-East London
    Check >>>this<<<

DavidH & FrontRunnerTek might be able to help you out. They seem to know their stuff

Agreed Nippa

wtf is these peoples problem anyway? How is it so fun to hack and ruin other peoples games? It's scary that this many people have 0 morals in the world. Sorry, just venting... but i really dont get it.

In The Festering, Disease-Ridden Bowels Of South-East London
    Quote Originally Posted by CongoBongo View Post
    Agreed Nippa

wtf is these peoples problem anyway? How is it so fun to hack and ruin other peoples games? It's scary that this many people have 0 morals in the world. Sorry, just venting... but i really dont get it.
    No matter how bad you think this problem is, it's actually much, much worse. People suck

Agreed Nippa
    To answer this with a famous movie-quote...
    "...they cant be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with ... some men, just want to watch the world burn"
    My guess is that these poor souls must have a very, very bad childhood... and their fun is to - in some sort - share the pain they have to deal with every day. The only way they have fun is to destroy. Yea, it's a matter of lost morals and deep-rooted grief. I feel sad for them.

We don't have a perfect solution as the game doesn't use the steamID64 for authentication everytime like it SHOULD. Instead, once authenticated the first time, it appears to just use the playername / entityID for the login / authentication process, so by changing player names, the game says the exploiting player's steamID64 is actually the one of the player's name being exploited. A REALLY bad situation.

We've tested and you can FULLY swap characters with another player just by changing the steam profile name / player name (access to inv/chests/doors,etc). This SHOULD NOT HAPPEN! TFPs! Please, Please, PLEASE, this HAS to be addressed.

As it is now, The next update for the Server Manager will allow you to "lockout" specified accounts in the players list, it's not a ban, or anything, it can be used to "lock" your admin account while you're not in game. That way some undesirable can't login with your playername and take over, and you can't accidentally ban yourself by unchecking the "allowed" box.

How can you fight back if your banned from the very server you admin, a server restart unban list and have this rinse repeated like a tired joke, how can this ever work if players with these kinds of hacks/exploit can go to some random server collect a random collection of real player names, join our server and cycle thru the list of taken, stolen, names, to enter our server, only to steal an admins name along with there ID accessing the admin control and screwing with the server anyway they want, tarnishing the character of the person whose identity they have stolen.

This is an incredibly annoying craptastic hack/exploit. Its all the more frustrating because you dont want the server to be locked down, or constantly restarted, we are only kicking the names of players whose id has been stolen. not the true culprit, we managed to recover our names when we found the players on steam who had used our names as alts. It is a horrible horrible thing, makes it a chore to be an admin.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FrontRunnerTek View Post
    We don't have a perfect solution as the game doesn't use the steamID64 for authentication everytime like it SHOULD. Instead, once authenticated the first time, it appears to just use the playername / entityID for the login / authentication process, so by changing player names, the game says the exploiting player's steamID64 is actually the one of the player's name being exploited. A REALLY bad situation.

We've tested and you can FULLY swap characters with another player just by changing the steam profile name / player name (access to inv/chests/doors,etc). This SHOULD NOT HAPPEN! TFPs! Please, Please, PLEASE, this HAS to be addressed.

As it is now, The next update for the Server Manager will allow you to "lockout" specified accounts in the players list, it's not a ban, or anything, it can be used to "lock" your admin account while you're not in game. That way some undesirable can't login with your playername and take over, and you can't accidentally ban yourself by unchecking the "allowed" box.
    Hellya looya! nice to see something like this

Its tragic that genuine players are getting screwed because some ♥♥♥♥ has stolen their id to do harmful things, there name gets tarnished, and a domino effect takes place where this poor innocent is screwed over in many ways. Fix that client side exploit please!

This is a steam problem, you can't trust steam, steam is untrustable. steam is something that used to move the old trains, now we rely on it for all our video games to operate properly? If they implemented their own seperate login system in the game this problem wouldn't exist(but then it would go against the grain of using steam). Remember the ability to spoof steam id is a steam issue. Their job is to make everything humanly possible server sided this way we can create such a login modification to the game where one steam id could login with separate accounts with a separate authentication.

There are indeed many hackers on the multiplayer servers.
    I have tried my best to trace the source of this hacking, and one of the things I found was this site:

Lets hope the next alpha update will make these hackscripts unusable
    Last edited by LeastConcern; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:44 PM. Reason: posting links to exploits / cheats is not permitted

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeforall View Post
    There are indeed many hackers on the multiplayer servers.
    I have tried my best to trace the source of this hacking, and one of the things I found was this site:

Lets hope the next alpha update will make these hackscripts unusable
    This will not be patched in the next update, just go to the mod section of this forum you have all the instructions and tools you need to do anything because everything minus a few things is client sided and those few things that are server sided the client overrules the server anyway for example server determines items spawned with, but you can change them anyway and the server says oh okay.
    Last edited by LeastConcern; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:45 PM. Reason: removed URL from quote

Yes the more nasty exploits are client side, its a very unbalanced war when the client has superpowers while you do not, unless u also use the hacks available. If the pimps were able to view these hacks and shut them down, or give admins the ability to counter anything these numbnuts could bring to the table, we wont be so inept at coping with it.

Server shutdowns is not a solution, locking servers is not a solution, if you want this game to be open to all, and have this game accessible then these 2 options are not the key to spreading this game in a favorable light. New player joins the server list, A server to Z server is locked, cant find a server, they start a server get raped by Hackers/exploiters and a vicious circle is created. Servers are locked to prevent the nastier human activity from wrecking the gaming environment.

But in doing so you hurt the gaming community and your game. If the server size is small then it is manageable, but if it is large it isnt, its a constant war, and it is wearing admins down. Give us more tools to fight with, till you are able to shut these exploits down for good.

Quote Originally Posted by LimeyRon View Post
    No matter how bad you think this problem is, it's actually much, much worse. People suck
    Oh no Ron,

I am in tune to the world and know how much much worse it is. I know the score.

It is just disappointing because it does not have to be like that and you can see how just a few bad apples really do ruin the bunch. I just read a post of someone pretty much condoning hacking as a way to defend yourself against hackers. Seems silly to me because if you employ hacking then you are in turn a hacker therefore defending against yourself? makes no sense to me. But this is what it comes to, then 90% of the people are hacking and it becomes Diablo 1 where you have to struggle to find a legit game or legit players to trade/deal with.

/cheers.... people do suck

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nippa View Post
    Yes the more nasty exploits are client side, its a very unbalanced war when the client has superpowers while you do not, unless u also use the hacks available. If the pimps were able to view these hacks and shut them down, or give admins the ability to counter anything these numbnuts could bring to the table, we wont be so inept at coping with it.

Server shutdowns is not a solution, locking servers is not a solution, if you want this game to be open to all, and have this game accessible then these 2 options are not the key to spreading this game in a favorable light. New player joins the server list, A server to Z server is locked, cant find a server, they start a server get raped by Hackers/exploiters and a vicious circle is created. Servers are locked to prevent the nastier human activity from wrecking the gaming environment.

But in doing so you hurt the gaming community and your game. If the server size is small then it is manageable, but if it is large it isnt, its a constant war, and it is wearing admins down. Give us more tools to fight with, till you are able to shut these exploits down for good.
    Yeah they really need to give the admins tools to combat these hackers.

On my server we are going to take the hunting knife and book out of the game. Then we will make it do as much damage as possible and only give one to the admins. This will help us to break and remove anything hackers do, like a base made out of keystones.

Not sure if this will backfire or not, guess we will see

On my server we are going to take the hunting knife and book out of the game. Then we will make it do as much damage as possible and only give one to the admins. This will help us to break and remove anything hackers do, like a base made out of keystones.

Not sure if this will backfire or not, guess we will see

Just make sure you hit all references in the loot tables you don't want players with a instant kill knife

I know its very difficult to deal with hackers, for each solution a new flaw is made to exploit, we have seen that with various duping bugs, if they give admins the power to undo all that a hacker has done, then they becoming nothing more than a nuisance.

The other day a guy came on with a smg, totally wrecking the foundation of a keystone protected base the players were actually inside the base at the time, herein likes the problem, a hacker is happily destroying the works of another gamer without fear of reprisals, and why is that? why isnt the threat of bannage a deterrent?

Was this player id hijacked so that they could freely abuse and exploit the game?

Hacker: LOLS they banned that other dudes id, awesome Ill just get another, and another, and another, lol so fun
    Admin: ban xxxxxxx 999999 hours
    Hacker: Lols noob doesnt realize Ill just keep coming back again and again.

This hacker probably didnt even buy the game, meanwhile, all the legit players that this person whose busy stealing ids, is happily destroying more than the server, theyre wrecking other legit gamers, tarnishing their name on many servers, the global ban list is only able to do so much, it cant distinguish between the real puppet master from the sea of puppets, one day one of you might be the next victim, then what? be labelled as a hacker.