Thread: How do I craft iron armor and pants?

How do I craft iron armor and pants?

I have scanned the wiki for recipes on these new armors, but can't seem to find anything, as the wiki hasn't even updated since Alpha 7. I have tried many different recipes combining forging iron and leather in the shape provided, but simply can't manage to craft these two things. Chestplate and pants, probably the most important pieces of armor. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks!

theres a video on youtube

Could you perhaps provide me with a link?

In The Festering, Disease-Ridden Bowels Of South-East London

Hunter
    I had to use the video.

I tried to experiment to discover them (and figured out a few) but the pants and chest have too many parts vs my patience with this kind of thing.

IMO, the system is a little weird, because if you have the mats on you enough to (magically) know you can make something, and you (magically) know the "outline" for how the mats need to lay out, how do you not know the exact pattern at that point? The last little bit of trial and error just seems tedious.

I'm sure a few people sit there fiddling til they get the right combos, but I'm guessing more of us use the wiki, videos like this, or dig into the xml to get the recipes.

The patterns are there to help guide you towards the logical conclusion. In most cases, the darkened squares are enough to get it right. In the case of the iron chest and leg armor, unfortunately, the answer isn't clear. I myself did have to dig into the recipes file to make that video to finally sort it out. I had come close to getting it right on both, just not all the way. This does tend to be somewhat of a problem with the game from time to time, recipes not being immediately obvious or easy. There is some fun in trying to figure it out though.

Thanks, that was driving me nuts this morning!

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Voqar View Post
    I had to use the video.

I tried to experiment to discover them (and figured out a few) but the pants and chest have too many parts vs my patience with this kind of thing.

IMO, the system is a little weird, because if you have the mats on you enough to (magically) know you can make something, and you (magically) know the "outline" for how the mats need to lay out, how do you not know the exact pattern at that point? The last little bit of trial and error just seems tedious.

I'm sure a few people sit there fiddling til they get the right combos, but I'm guessing more of us use the wiki, videos like this, or dig into the xml to get the recipes.
    I agree the system is so confusing and is almost impossible to use without looking up a recipe online. I think there should be opportunities to loot recipes from zombs and building, having certain recipes pertain to specific places/ creatures. I wish I could make a mod for this now that I think about it.

I like the way it is. It's somewhat rewarding when you figure it out. Semi-pro tip: put ingredients in a chest until the recipe disappears. Then put a few in your backpack until it reappears. Then take one at a time out until it disappears again. This way you find out how many of that ingredient are in the recipe. This is how I figured out the iron armor recipes. Hope I explained it well enough.