Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can Nintendo Switch specs handle 7 Days To Die?

Colony Founder
    i once spent hours deciding which 8-trax to throw out. only to end up buying more. i can't throw away molly hatchet

Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
    PC Min Absolute PC Min Recommended PC Preferred Xbox One Xbox One S Project Scorpio Playstation 4 PlayStation 4 Slim PlayStation 4 Pro Switch
    CPU 2.4 Ghz Dual Core CPU 3.0 Ghz Quad Core CPU 3.2+ Ghz 6-8 Core CPU 1.75GHz 8-core† AMD custom CPU 1.75GHz 8-core† AMD custom CPU 2.3GHz 8-core† AMD custom Scorpio Engine CPU 1.6GHz 8-core† AMD custom “Jaguar” CPU 1.6GHz 8-core† AMD custom “Jaguar” CPU 2.1GHz 8-core† AMD custom “Jaguar” CPU 1020MHz Nvidia custom Tegra SOC
    GPU GPU clocked at 575MHz with 0.35 teraflops of performance* GPU clocked at 1046 MHz with 2.31 teraflops of performance* GPU clocked at 1,216 MHz with 4.05 teraflops of performance* Integrated AMD GPU clocked at 853MHz with 1.31 teraflops of performance Integrated AMD GPU clocked at 914MHz with 1.31 teraflops of performance Integrated AMD GPU clocked at 1172MHz with 6 teraflops of performance Integrated AMD GPU clocked at 800MHz with 1.84 teraflops of performance Integrated AMD GPU clocked at 800MHz with 1.84 teraflops of performance Integrated AMD Polaris GPU clocked at 911 MHz with 4.2 teraflops of performance 768MHz (docked) / 307.2MHz (undocked)
    Nvidia custom Tegra SOC
    Estimated 0.12 to 0.5 teraflops of performance
    RAM 4GB 6 GB RAM 8+ GB RAM 8GB 8GB 12GB 8GB 8GB 8GB 4GB
    Storage See Note See Note See Note 500GB 500GB, 1TB, 2TB 1TB 500GB 500GB 1TB 32GB

I am not reading all that..............................Gamida, LAF Mag

Look at all the pretty numbers........................................... Billy Bob, Rolling Stone Magazine

It's a rectangle......woo hoo...............................Big Bird , Sesame Street

It's the thought that counts.....UnsentSoul, Heaven Can Wait

I enjoyed it immensely. Very fun, 10/10 would read again...........Clare, Consoles for Everyone Magazine
    Last edited by Gamida; 04-22-2017 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
    Yes, I literally just wasted like an hour of time I could be doing anything else just to make that silly table.
    I kind of feel bad for disagreeing with some of it. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Gamida View Post
    I am not reading all that..............................Gamida, LAF Mag

Look at all the pretty numbers........................................... Billy Bob, Rolling Stone Magazine

It's a rectangle......woo hoo...............................Big Bird , Sesame Street

It's the thought that counts.....UnsentSoul, Heaven Can Wait

I enjoyed it immensely. Very fun, 10/10 would read again...........Clare, Consoles for Everyone Magazine
    LMFAO!

Quote Originally Posted by Clare View Post
    I enjoyed it immensely. Very fun, 10/10 would read again.
    -IGN

Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by obsidian_eclipse View Post
    I'd just like to point out the xbox one and ps4 have 8 cores. They are 2 x 'quad core' apu's, 8 physical cores and 8 threads.
    That is correct. In my tiredness I mis-wrote what I had intended to say there. I have corrected it now.

Quote Originally Posted by davethebakerx2 View Post
    i have no ideal what any of that is
    The only way I could make it easier, would be to put relative GPU builds for the GPU stats. My fear though, was that the only ones to understand this would be the PC guys that build systems. As a result, I was stuck with doing clock speed representations for bare numbers.

I can see how it would look like gibberish to someone not familiar with the hardware in the slightest though. I could use cars, but that's going to be unclear for a lot of people too, and is actually harder to represent to those who aren't aware of the differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I kind of feel bad for disagreeing with some of it. :/
    Why would you feel bad? In fact, I had the last part of data mis-typed because I was just dead after a long day of work.

I fixed it now. Feeling better?

Also, I'd like to note that the "PC Min Absolute" is based on a combination of the minimum stated requirements by TFP (which haven't been updated since 2013), and actual testing on my part. The game was playable on that build, but only just barely, and the max FPS was about 15-20.
    The "PC Min Recommended" is based on the "Windows Recommended" of those same outdated requirements. Since TFP left the video department especially vague, the stats are based on the lowest GPU I have had moderate success with. FPS for that build was pretty solidly in the 40-45 range.
    The "PC Preferred" is merely based on my personal experience with hardware, and in providing support in the PC section. The goal was to reach a solid 60FPS in 1920x1080 HD. Even with torches.

TLDR: The Switch's hardware specs are somewhere between the Wii, and the Wii-U. Which kind of sucks. You're not going to see 7DTD there anytime soon. You might see Minecraft, with the same limitations that were put on the other consoles because they didn't have the hardware for the full version that is on the PC.

Zombie Hunter
    i wonder how much iron id get from scrapping a Switch? or do you think it would be better to stick in the forge ?

The game only benefits from 2 cores. With that said, yes, higher cores usually mean better per core performance allowing those 2 main cores to work better with this game. But claiming the game recommends 6 - 8 cores is a bit crazy. Ryzen 7 1800x has nearly identical per core performance as the Ryzen 5 1500x but with 4 less cores. I can't imagine the 1500x struggling at all with this game on ultimate settings. I know my 1600x runs this game on max with a minimum of 70fps (without any OC on anything at all), so even if the 1500x loses 1 or 2 fps, it's still perfect. I suspect that when Ryzen 3 comes out, their dual core performance should in theory also be perfect for this game on ultimate graphics settings.

Anything latest gen dual core at 3.5GHz or better should in theory be the PC preferred. OC recommended though. A dual core would run hotter than higher core CPUs, but it would still do it just as well... again, in theory.

I just did a test on my 1600x and the CPU never reached beyond 31%, and the Hyperthreading sat there idling... doing nothing at all as usual.

Obviously, I could be wrong, it has been known to happen on occasion. But the devs are the ones that said this game only uses 2 of the cores and there was not much they could do about it.

As for the graphics card stuff, I haven't been paying any attention to terraflops and stuff, so I don't know. I just go by passmark scores and common sense which is way easier and hasn't failed me yet.
    Last edited by Fox; 04-23-2017 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Undermin3d View Post
    Project Scorpio appears to have a considerable upgrade to hardware over the Xbox one, but I'm no connoisseur of hardware by any means. And from what I have been reading is its supposed to be full backwards compatible. So does that mean 7 days will run hugely better on Scorpio? And are we more likely to get a true full port from PC versions for the Scorpio?
    Nope because there will be no exclusives for Scorpio compared to xbox one. So basically its just going to upscale or handle some games better. No exclusive content in any way.

Colony Founder
    i like butter on my terraflops

Quote Originally Posted by Undermin3d View Post
    So does that mean 7 days will run hugely better on Scorpio?
    Oh god you've hit ST's trigger...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian9824 View Post
    Nope because there will be no exclusives for Scorpio compared to xbox one. So basically its just going to upscale or handle some games better. No exclusive content in any way.
    I would qualify that with a big "yet". Maybe it will be a year or two, but I would bet a day's pay that eventually you will see games that require the Scorpio. It is "backward compatible"; they aren't labeling the Xbox One as "forward compatible".

"The Kinect is a required component of the Xbox One."
    "We are not going to allow any resale of used games."
    "There are no plans for backward compatibility with Xbox 360."
    "All games will be available for both Scorpio and Xbox One."

At worst, there will be games that are "Scorpio aware", and enable extra features when the upgraded hardware is detected. Say, extended draw distance (not just terrain) for 7d2d.

Tracker
    Even if the Nintendo Switch 7DTD it still wouldn't happen because Knowing Nintendo they're so "independent" they would refuse such a game that doesn't have their logo slapped on it so it wouldn't happen.

Refugee
    Yes, i know, it is a little bit outdated, but:

i play 7DTD on my Core 2 PC with 8 GB RAM. Some Lag's that i can handle, no worry.
    i play DOOM (2016) on my Nintendo Switch, running verry good.
    And now the great shock:
    i buy the Nintendo Switch because my PC can't run DOOM (2016), no chance
    and for that money needed for a new PC i get 2 Nintendo Switch'es
    So, if Doom is running on the Switch, but not on my PC,
    and 7DTD run on my PC, it would run on a Nintendo Switch

The only question is:
    Will there be a portation on that console or do i have to crack my Switch?

Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edigoon View Post
    Yes, i know, it is a little bit outdated, but:

i play 7DTD on my Core 2 PC with 8 GB RAM. Some Lag's that i can handle, no worry.
    i play DOOM (2016) on my Nintendo Switch, running verry good.
    And now the great shock:
    i buy the Nintendo Switch because my PC can't run DOOM (2016), no chance
    and for that money needed for a new PC i get 2 Nintendo Switch'es
    So, if Doom is running on the Switch, but not on my PC,
    and 7DTD run on my PC, it would run on a Nintendo Switch

The only question is:
    Will there be a portation on that console or do i have to crack my Switch?
    1. Doom is not a 3D Voxel game. More details in this thread... What is the difference between a Voxel game, and all the other games I play?
    2. There was a LOT of work done reducing textures and with client optimization to get it to run on the Switch.
    3. No, even with Unity 2019 and full optimization, the Switch does not have anywhere near the processing power for a 3D Voxel game of this nature. (I've already covered this multiple times.)
    4. Since this thread died over two years ago, the requirements for the base client have increased.
    5. Even if you "cracked" your Switch, it couldn't handle the game client. It literally runs at least 3 times below the minimum requirements when docked, and 6 times slower on the battery. I covered this in great detail earlier in the thread right here.

What you want is absolutely not possible. It very likely will never be possible.

Since the discussion has already been beaten to death, and then resurrected, it's time to put it out of it's misery.