View Poll Results: Alpha 17

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • A17 will be released when the bugs are fixed

    0 0%
  • 0 0%
  • Feature Freeze -> Hitler Video ->

    0 0%
  • Madmole gameplay -> Spider Meme ->

    0 0%
  • A17-E Release Candidate ->

    0 0%
  • Stream Event -> A17-E Released

    0 0%
  • -------------------------------------------------------

    0 0%
  • FIRST POST UPDATED: Sept 15

    0 0%
  • SECOND POST UPDATED: Sept 15

    0 0%
  • News for console versions is only announced by Clare in the console news forum.

    0 0%
Page 828 of 2252 FirstFirst ... 32872877881882682782882983083887892813281828 ... LastLast
Results 12,406 to 12,420 of 33777

Thread: Developer Diary: Alpha 17

  1. #12406
    Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Enemy for life
    Posts
    18,315
    Rep Power
    1
    This is a non issue. Like underground living, if you don't like it don't do it.

  2. #12407
    Reconstructionist
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    723
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    That's a shoehorn.




    If you don't want to come up with creative ways around / outside the "normal" path... that really is on you. =P
    Oh I will get around the intended path, What would be better is to have it randomized. and when i see a house exterior I dont say, ok there is a loose floorboard in the bedroom on level 2.. and a toxic gas trap when i enter tbe basement and turn left.

    After one time seeing each POI...its back to a boring old POI. Wasted dev effort
    Last edited by SnowDog1942; 03-09-2018 at 04:25 PM.

  3. #12408
    Colony Founder JaxTeller718's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ravenhearst
    Posts
    3,637
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowDog1942 View Post
    Oh I will get around the intended path, What would be better is to it randomized. and when i see a house exterior I dont say, ok there is a loose floorboard in the bedroom on level 2.. and a toxic gas trap when i enter tbe basement and turn left.
    But what if the layout and zombies are so tough that it takes several attempts to go through it. Then they take longer, and if there are 20 plus new ones it adds to the life of the update. Everything become passe at some point of course. The people that want to just nerd pole to the attic still can if they like.

    That is, if the zombies don't magically despawn when you die. Then maybe I will agree with you. Can we get zombies to NOT despawn when you die? That would be really cool.

  4. #12409
    Super Moderator Roland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    On a Zipline
    Posts
    12,172
    Rep Power
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowDog1942 View Post
    Shoehorned: Forced into an unnatural space.

    Open world games = no set path

    Dungeon Style POI's "expected paths"

    Im not claiming we will be forced to use the nice little tunnel sitting there waiting for us to enter with the pipe gas trap .I just think the concept is stupid for an open world game to have intended paths anywhere. These are gonna get old quick.
    See that operative word up there? It was the first word in your definition that invalidates your whole point. I highlighted it for you so you wouldn't miss it on your re-read. I'm glad you were able to look up the definition of "shoehorned" so you can abandon it as your metaphor. As I already pointed out there is nothing "forced" about them. How exactly will they "get old fast" if you can use crafted ladders, frame blocks, and/or chop your way around them at your whim? You really prefer bare rooms in which every sleeper is immediately noticeable? This is your definition of creepy and scary? If nothing else the added clutter and blind corners will make the sleepers a bit more of a scary experience.


    If the dungeon pathways actually were forced upon us then I would agree with you 100%. But they aren't and your hyperbole only serves to confuse. I get that you are underwhelmed by a lot of A17. Its impossible to miss as you post about it every opportunity you get. But your pessimism is blinding you to something that is an improvement over the old empty POI's and your claims that the style of the POI layout prevents open world gameplay or forces any player to do anything they don't want to do is just plain wrong.

  5. #12410
    Reconstructionist
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    723
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    See that operative word up there? It was the first word in your definition that invalidates your whole point. I highlighted it for you so you wouldn't miss it on your re-read. I'm glad you were able to look up the definition of "shoehorned" so you can abandon it as your metaphor. As I already pointed out there is nothing "forced" about them. How exactly will they "get old fast" if you can use crafted ladders, frame blocks, and/or chop your way around them at your whim? You really prefer bare rooms in which every sleeper is immediately noticeable? This is your definition of creepy and scary? If nothing else the added clutter and blind corners will make the sleepers a bit more of a scary experience.


    If the dungeon pathways actually were forced upon us then I would agree with you 100%. But they aren't and your hyperbole only serves to confuse. I get that you are underwhelmed by a lot of A17. Its impossible to miss as you post about it every opportunity you get. But your pessimism is blinding you to something that is an improvement over the old empty POI's and your claims that the style of the POI layout prevents open world gameplay or forces any player to do anything they don't want to do is just plain wrong.
    I dont think im blind. pessimistic, yes. Your post and several of the others have some good points. I hope I am wrong, honestly. I guess i wouldnt waste dev effort on creating these intended paths thru POIs. Id rather the effort was on more more more pois, with random traps that add to a scary experience instead of adding to predictibility

    By forced i meant putting pois with intended paths in an open game, they dont fit together.
    I did not mean the path was forced onto me
    Last edited by SnowDog1942; 03-09-2018 at 04:40 PM.

  6. #12411
    Fun Pimps Staff Gazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    In your brains. Thinking your thoughts.
    Posts
    7,942
    Rep Power
    2
    Some people want POI even more randomised like every POI being glued together from parts of random rooms. I know.

    That, however is super-unlikely to happen. Sounds nice in theory but may actually make POI more generic because you have to balance parts to be largely similar.
    It's also a huge effort creating every single POI 3 or 4 times in total.

    What y'all are more likely to get: Mod support to plug in tons of user-prefabs... that hopefully meet similar quality standards.

  7. #12412
    Nomad Odetta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    The Wonka Factory
    Posts
    395
    Rep Power
    1
    I miss the lonely POI, like a single gas station on a road in the middle of nowhere. It made them special. Can't remember the Alpha this used to occur but I do miss it.

    Not talking about the random houses with the gravel trails either.

  8. #12413
    Hunter Qyzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    147
    Rep Power
    0
    Are the wife and I the only players who started the skyscrapers from the top down? We built ladders to the top and then worked our way to the ground floor. That's pretty much how the wife and I handle most POIs.

    Though it's obvious, in some cases, things are not designed with that in mind and we would generally appreciate there not being 10K damage blocks in weird places just to prevent it, we have generally been able to approach the POIs from odd directions so far. As long as the dungeon POIs still allow this I'm sure we will be happy.

  9. #12414
    Tracker
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    196
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowDog1942 View Post

    By forced i meant putting pois with intended paths in an open game, they dont fit together.
    I did not mean the path was forced onto me
    Please look up the definition of forced, i think thats what you're missing.

    there are no obligations, nothing limiting or blocking you in regards of those houses. you can, as you can in any open world game, do as you please to the house. break it down, cheese your way through, etc.

    there's a path through the house, if that upsets you... does it upset you there are roads in towns? how dare they have cities with paths going all over the city! Blasphemous!

  10. #12415
    Community Moderator Crater Creator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    3,100
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    if you don't like it don't do it.
    Those eight words are lazy, dismissive, apathetic, and generic enough to invoke in response to any perceived problem. It’s getting old. At least other empty statements like “It is what it is,” and “Meh” don’t tell people what to do.

  11. #12416
    Reconstructionist
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    723
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Zadwanaa View Post
    there's a path through the house, if that upsets you... does it upset you there are roads in towns? how dare they have cities with paths going all over the city! Blasphemous!
    Roads are Towns are randomized in an amazing way. I dare u to say the same about dungeon POIs

  12. #12417
    Colony Founder JaxTeller718's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ravenhearst
    Posts
    3,637
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Crater Creator View Post
    Those eight words are lazy, dismissive, apathetic, and generic enough to invoke in response to any perceived problem. It’s getting old. At least other empty statements like “It is what it is,” and “Meh” don’t tell people what to do.
    It IS the best way to take a side without taking one. The problem with using a statement like that (in my opinion) is that if you apply it to any situation in gaming then you don't get any real progress towards any goal. I mean, I agree with it because sure if you don't like it then DON'T do it, but then you are confronted with the issue of never introducing any type of challenge to please EVERYONE.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowDog1942 View Post
    Roads are Towns are randomized in am amazing way. I dare u to say the same about dungeon POIs
    You MAY want to look up the word "amazing" too while you are there looking up "forced" Good yes, but not amazing....yet.

  13. #12418
    Tracker
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    233
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxTeller718 View Post
    I simply can not see the complaint here.
    Some people are only happy if they are complaining. It's as simple as that.

  14. #12419
    Reconstructionist
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    723
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxTeller718 View Post
    It IS the best way to take a side without taking one. The problem with using a statement like that (in my opinion) is that if you apply it to any situation in gaming then you don't get any real progress towards any goal. I mean, I agree with it because sure if you don't like it then DON'T do it, but then you are confronted with the issue of never introducing any type of challenge to please EVERYONE.

    - - - Updated - - -



    You MAY want to look up the word "amazing" too while you are there looking up "forced" Good yes, but not amazing....yet.
    Best random towns and cities ive seen in any game, amazing. Lack of POIs of course but still... amazing

  15. #12420
    Super Moderator Roland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    On a Zipline
    Posts
    12,172
    Rep Power
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowDog1942 View Post
    Best random towns and cities ive seen in any game, amazing. Lack of POIs of course but still... amazing
    There are an estimated 53 or 54 unique level designed POI's coming to A17 with randomized containers and sleepers. I think that it will take a bit of time to memorize all of those.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •