View Poll Results: Alpha 17

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • A17-E will be released as soon as the issues are solved and the showstopping bugs fixed.

0 0%
  • -------------------------------------------------------

0 0%
  • Feat Freeze -> Hitler Vid -> MM gameplay

0 0%
  • -> Spider Meme -> Stream Blitz ->

0 0%
  • -> Release Candidate -> A17-E

0 0%
  • -------------------------------------------------------

0 0%
  • FIRST POST UPDATED: August 10

0 0%
  • SECOND POST UPDATED: July 25

0 0%
  • -----------------------------------------------------

0 0%
  • News for console versions is only announced by Clare in the console news forum.

0 0%
Page 1228 of 1806 FirstFirst ... 228728112811781218122612271228122912301238127813281728 ... LastLast
Results 18,406 to 18,420 of 27088

Thread: Developer Diary: Alpha 17

Scavenger
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gronk View Post
    A collider is simply a bounding box linked to the physics, you're exchanging one system for exactly the same one but with extra work unless you're ignoring the built-in unity physics altogether. The only time you'd save a significant amount of system resources is if there are a lot of them and you've micro-optimized your system which is again extra work. The idea of using planes instead of boxes is an interesting one but that would be a different system entirely.

You might save some system resources by implementing a simpler and cruder physics engine but that's a separate idea from colliders. The two are often used together but by no means is one required by the other.
    I was under the impression that to remove them from the game loop you would have to remove them from memory, and respawn them when needed, thus creating the issue of frame lag. The main idea I am trying to convey here is that if you just leave everything in memory, and simply ignore the object instead of deleting it, then you could get a smoother transition. If having hundreds of rectangular bbox colliders doesn't add much overhead, and you are able to pick and choose which ones to ignore, it can go a long way. The way the object is ignored is the most important thing here. If you leave it in the loop and set a flag you still have to look at it every frame, but if you take it out of the actual list of objects or out of its linked list, however they have it organized, then it can exist without taking that extra cpu to iterate through it. Long iteration loops can a lot of overhead loss, even if they are only performing a single check per object.

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by madmole View Post
    You are reaching. I like VR in concept but in application I've yet to play a game with it and feel like its a must have instead of just a gimmick.
    That sucks. Do you think people will be able to mod VR support into 7Days themselves?

What games have you played in VR?

Quote Originally Posted by uowaep View Post
    <snipped for space>
    You don't get much option with the built-in unity stuff, that's all taken care of behind the scenes. What makes unity so popular is the automation of the grindy parts of programming but it does have some disadvantages. A lot of colliders which aren't moving is reasonably quick but you've got to work under the assumption that a player will find a way to make them all move at once. Some player somewhere will always find a loophole in your setup and then complain that it's slow.

Case in point: A few years ago, before candles were introduced if memory serves, a player complained that placing a squillion torches in a small room made all of the textures look bleached and weird. MadMole simply replied "but why would you even do that?".

Quote Originally Posted by JayBiggS View Post
    That sucks. Do you think people will be able to mod VR support into 7Days themselves?
    Short answer? No.

I've played with the unity vr stuff. It requires a special extension with two cameras and a complete rewrite of the control system.

Refugee
    Short answer? No.

I've played with the unity vr stuff. It requires a special extension with two cameras and a complete rewrite of the control system.
    Yeah it is the kind of thing the developer needs to add or leave the code open enough for ambitious peeps to hack in. It was even a stretch goal too. Oh well.

Looking forward to A17!
    Last edited by JayBiggS; 05-23-2018 at 12:26 AM.

Reconstructionist
    Quote Originally Posted by madmole View Post
    You are reaching. I like VR in concept but in application I've yet to play a game with it and feel like its a must have instead of just a gimmick.
    "The Climb" is the game that pushed VR past a gimmick for me.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Hey everyone! Just to let you guys know the main reasons for the Madmole silence:

There was a family vacation,
    Then there was really bad post vacation sickness involving lots of puke and sleep,
    Then lots of piled up work due to those first two events,
    And now graduation ceremonies for a Madmole family member.

There is a new video on the horizon. If not in the next couple days a very good chance by this weekend.

There are still things not on the first page lists that are hopefully coming to A17 but might slip to A18 (which is why they aren't on the list).
    Oh my gosh! The game is punishing Madmole for taking a vacation. 00
    Last edited by sillls; 05-23-2018 at 12:58 AM.

Colony Founder
    Madmole. Your back! Good to hear from you, finally. Hope your feeling better.

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Short answer? No.

Even I made a vr world in like 5 minutes.

...the ui and controls are the tedious parts, neither being hard, just.. Tedious.

@MM

Dude, you're playing the wrong vr games. Talk to lathan, he can hook you up.

I dunno, probably the great big hairy person staring at me with only half a face. Reminds me of my mother :-)
    Is she related to Guppy's sister?

Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    Even I made a vr world in like 5 minutes.

...the ui and controls are the tedious parts, neither being hard, just.. Tedious.
    Yep, not difficult. Not something you can just mod into a compiled game though.

I might have to give it another go. It was fresh out of beta, possibly late beta, when I messed with it. It was quite a while ago and I was curious how it worked.

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dhlmaster View Post
    Is she related to Guppy's sister?
    ...one of you knocked her up. Again. #4.

Scavenger
    You don't get much option with the built-in unity stuff, that's all taken care of behind the scenes. What makes unity so popular is the automation of the grindy parts of programming but it does have some disadvantages. A lot of colliders which aren't moving is reasonably quick but you've got to work under the assumption that a player will find a way to make them all move at once. Some player somewhere will always find a loophole in your setup and then complain that it's slow.

Case in point: A few years ago, before candles were introduced if memory serves, a player complained that placing a squillion torches in a small room made all of the textures look bleached and weird. MadMole simply replied "but why would you even do that?".
    Sometimes you have to set hard limits on what the engine should try to attempt, and what you allow the players to attempt. I would set a limit on how many non-important (gibs) physics objects are allowed to calculate per frame. If a player were to try to abuse it, it would not look correct, possibly slow, and probably not pretty, but at least it will be limited as to how it affects the performance for other players in the world.

The candle solution seems obvious. Radius check for how many other candles are nearby, and only allow so many to be clustered together.

I'm not trying to say this gib thing needs to be done. I'm just saying that it is possible to have a decent gib setup without affecting performance much at all, and without compromising the existing physics. It may not be an obvious or easy solution, but it can be done. I just have a lot of fun playing with gib code personally. :P

Quote Originally Posted by uowaep View Post
    Sometimes you have to set hard limits on what...you allow the players to attempt.
    *ahem*

“How dare you dictate how I should play. I thought this game was a sandbox!!! If you forcibly deny me anything I’ll hit uninstall!”

Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    *ahem*

“How dare you dictate how I should play. I thought this game was a sandbox!!! If you forcibly deny me anything I’ll hit uninstall!”
    How long were you waiting to do that? :P