View Poll Results: Developer Diary for Developers

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Newly Updated

    0 0%
  • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole

    0 0%
  • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

    0 0%
Page 3263 of 3381 FirstFirst ... 2263276331633213325332613262326332643265327333133363 ... LastLast
Results 48,931 to 48,945 of 50714

Thread: Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

  1. #48931
    Ranger CoolJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    283
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimpy View Post
    "Okay, so we have a lot of explosions and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Let's see if we add a story in post-production."
    Yea I saw that movie. It was meh.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXGkeTEdUDM
    Seriously, two and a half minutes into the five minute trailer, and you just watched the whole movie. Sharknado is inspired work compared to this.

  2. #48932
    Zombie Hunter AtomicUs5000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    US
    Posts
    445
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    I don't see why TFP would want to re-create the entire Steam Workshop system instead of using the one that exists.
    I don't see why either. But I don't think people are understanding the purpose of my posts.

  3. #48933
    Fun Pimps Staff Gazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    In your brains. Thinking your thoughts.
    Posts
    8,526
    Rep Power
    2
    Well, the point is that it is pointless to have the game server distribute files like gigabytes of graphical content when all the server needs to send is that mod #35637845 is required.

    Why would anyone think that this is a good idea, regardless of any legal implications?

  4. #48934
    Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Enemy for life
    Posts
    20,102
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    Well, the point is that it is pointless to have the game server distribute files like gigabytes of graphical content when all the server needs to send is that mod #35637845 is required.

    Why would anyone think that this is a good idea, regardless of any legal implications?
    Because every other game in existence does it?

    ...also, fine, don't want to send assets? That's cool... but icons? Localization?

  5. #48935
    Leader Royal Deluxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    6,079
    Rep Power
    1
    For me the real important thing is that a player that join a server should have a link he can click for the serverpage/thread (on steam or tfp !?)
    And he should have a button like "The server want to install 7 Mods, do you allow this ?" "Yes", "No", "More info"

  6. #48936
    Refugee Drisky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0
    Is there any news on when random gen will be fixed? i cant get a map with a cathedral or Dishong towers on it, i want to play so bad on random but re-building a cathedral is one of my main motivations.

  7. #48937
    Leader Royal Deluxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    6,079
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Drisky View Post
    Is there any news on when random gen will be fixed? i cant get a map with a cathedral or Dishong towers on it, i want to play so bad on random but re-building a cathedral is one of my main motivations.
    With A17 its easy to place a Building in RWG.

    RWG Worlds have now a prefab file

  8. #48938
    Inventor Jugginator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    873
    Rep Power
    1
    @Fataal , whatever you did with the AI good job man. Just had my day 28 horde, slew of rad zombies and cops sent at me, and they covered about 85% of my square-fortress. At most times my base was getting attacked on 3 fronts! Awesome. Granted, they barely took out any spikes, and nothing came close to my outer-wall... but I am sure it'll ramp up. Getting there, but your AI changes are significant jumps each time -- love it.

  9. #48939
    Inventor Jugginator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    873
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by exidous View Post
    Can we get dismemberment to work? Or more heads exploding? I miss that.
    I explode lots of heads. SHould look into the boom headshot perk

  10. #48940
    Colony Founder The Gronk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    2,689
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    Well, the point is that it is pointless to have the game server distribute files like gigabytes of graphical content when all the server needs to send is that mod #35637845 is required.

    Why would anyone think that this is a good idea, regardless of any legal implications?
    Steam may not always be with us. At least have a backup system so future retro gamers can still use mods.

    How about if you sell the game somewhere other than steam? Do those players miss out on mods?

    Handing control of your code to a third-party, such as steam, may be risky. The whole "TellTale" saga should have made that pretty clear.

    Not everybody is "always connected", something that has already bitten Microsoft on the bum with the xbox u-turn. Workers setting up a LAN on something like an oil rig or an antarctic base may not be able to download gigs of data individually.

    You need any more reasons? I've got a bag full here.
    Last edited by The Gronk; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:55 AM.

  11. #48941
    Community Moderator OzHawkeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,200
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    Because every other game in existence does it?

    ...also, fine, don't want to send assets? That's cool... but icons? Localization?
    Not true - one of my very favourite other games, Factorio, doesn't push mods from a server to the client, but instead tells the client what mods are running and the client goes out and gets 'em.

    Seems like the far more logical solution to me (where a centralised mod "store" is available anyway).

  12. #48942
    Colony Founder The Gronk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    2,689
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by OzHawkeye View Post
    Not true - one of my very favourite other games, Factorio, doesn't push mods from a server to the client, but instead tells the client what mods are running and the client goes out and gets 'em.

    Seems like the far more logical solution to me (where a centralised mod "store" is available anyway).
    A centralised system has a single point of failure.

  13. #48943
    Scavenger
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    0
    Any one no why its so slow moving up and down ladders now

  14. #48944
    QA Tester unholyjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    south central U.S. in Arkansas
    Posts
    2,313
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gronk View Post
    A centralised system has a single point of failure.
    yes I agree, BUT...
    explain that to Microsoft, Blizzard, Google and many more who have their own in place... the BIG companies got big for a reason and we were not given the choice.. so Steam (Gabe Newell) is riding the wave as well.

    Last edited by unholyjoe; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:37 AM.

  15. #48945
    Colony Founder The Gronk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    2,689
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by unholyjoe View Post
    yes BUT...
    explain that to Microsoft, Blizzard, Google and many more who have their own in place... the BIG companies got big for a reason and we were not given the choice.. so Steam (Gabe Newell) is riding the wave as well.

    I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too difficult to have the option on the server. Either use a central repo or pass the data from server to client. I'm damn sure you're not contractually obliged to use the steam workshop for mods otherwise you'd be using it now.

    There's rarely a single solution that solves everything.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •