Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Newly Updated

0 0%
  • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole

0 0%
  • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

0 0%
Page 3362 of 3417 FirstFirst ... 236228623262331233523360336133623363336433723412 ... LastLast
Results 50,416 to 50,430 of 51254

Thread: Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Quote Originally Posted by The Gronk View Post
    There's a tendency for MP groups to stick close to each other, this isn't an issue in SP but there is a tendency to stick to a single area once you have found a good place to set up if you're on your own.

I play SP and I find an 8k map to be far too small. Hell, I generated a 16k map for 17.2 and that felt too small. I wandered naturally to find a good spot as I usually do and ended up in the same place twice with two consecutive games.

It's not the square footage of explored areas that's important, it's the ability to walk for days in a straight line without being constrained by an artificial barrier.
    Welcome to every game on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by PoppaTot View Post
    Man, I give up with the RWG for now. I spent over an hour this morning generating 4 new maps.... everyone one of them is a GIANT donut shaped lake. like 70% of the map, or more, is lake. FeelsBadMan
    Thats odd, what kind of seeds are you using ?

Every time I have started a new game since A17 (5 times now maybe more) I get a fine mixed biome world.. Apart from roads which look like they are from a roller coaster and the lack of major cities I been reasonably happy with my RWG worlds.
    Last edited by Jay_ombie; 02-11-2019 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaVegaNL View Post
    So the planned RGW changes are planned for A18? That's a bit sad to hear.. Hopefully it will come soon, so I can play the game again
    I said splat maps are coming in A18, not new RWG code, which is coming hopefully A17.

Colony Founder
    Hay Madmole, what about that new city that is being built in the wasteland? The one on the navezgane map?

Nine city blocks and surrounded by radiation. Hmmm...?

Are we going to see that in Alpha 17?

Quote Originally Posted by madmole View Post
    I said splat maps are coming in A18, not new RWG code, which is coming hopefully A17.
    This Splat Map Tech sounds like it will allow for way better landscaping blending.. (exciting to hear)

Always been fascinated by computer generated landscaping. I used to use VistaPro which was fun.
    Last edited by Jay_ombie; 02-11-2019 at 08:37 PM.

I'm sure you did, and I'm also sure 80% of the map still wasn't uncovered. Most people stick to the roads and there is much unlocked space.
    Define "80% of the map".

Are we talking square footage of area uncovered? With distant terrain you can scout an area from a high point without having to actually uncover it.

Are we talking about people never travelling further than a 10% radius from their starting point?

As many have mentioned, it's not how much land you can explore, it's how far you can travel in a straight line. I used to have great fun preparing looting trips to a city a day or two away. I'd have to make sure I had enough supplies with me to build a temporary base overnight and a hard time choosing what to bring back with me when time came to return. Now there's little opportunity for such extended trips and with towns being so close together no point in actually doing one.

People stick to the roads because _ALL_ POI's are on a road. Stick some high-value POI's in the wilderness without road access and you'll likely see people wandering off into the wilds to look for them.
    Last edited by The Gronk; 02-11-2019 at 08:58 PM.

Im getting a splat map ready for my wife on the 14th.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowDog1942 View Post
    Im getting a splat map ready for my wife on the 14th.
    Isn't it not recommended to give the fairer sex a map? (splat or not)

Hunter
    What is a splat map?

We watched a server that had a lot of players and it sent all their map data and combined it. After a month like 20% of the actual map was uncovered. I'm pretty sure we will support 16k maps again soon enough but my point is people think they need all this space, yet 50 players only uncovered 20% of the actual map after a month of play in a16.
    I think it's a mistake to interpret the data that way through. It's not about exploring a large percentage of the map, it's about the freedom to drive in one direction without encountering a wall.

My group and I went back to a16.4 for a variety of reasons, but one of the big ones is the dramatically larger map sizes. Our mid-late game consisted of packing up and moving to a new city in search of the next perfect base / build project. We always saw something new and unexpected, and it kept the game fresh and made each playthrough a mystery because you didn't know if your first area was going to be any good or not.

I'm sure 90% of our exploration was completely confined to areas near major roads, which is a very minor portion of the map, but the difference is we could pick a direction and just go without almost immediately bumping into the end of the map after a town or two.

Quote Originally Posted by sillls View Post
    Hay Madmole, what about that new city that is being built in the wasteland? The one on the navezgane map?

Nine city blocks and surrounded by radiation. Hmmm...?

Are we going to see that in Alpha 17?
    There will be no changes to A17 that require a new game start, so no.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecolours View Post
    What is a splat map?
    In essence a texture that can be used to store data or provide a blueprint for the application of different textures.

They have their place but if you're using them to store heightmap (and other) data for terrain they can quickly chew up your memory and/or disk space.

I find them useful for texture blending on terrain although I'd generate them on-the-fly if possible otherwise you'll get the memory/disk space problem mentioned previously.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texture_splatting

Quote Originally Posted by The Gronk View Post
    Define "80% of the map".

Are we talking square footage of area uncovered? With distant terrain you can scout an area from a high point without having to actually uncover it.

Are we talking about people never travelling further than a 10% radius from their starting point?

As many have mentioned, it's not how much land you can explore, it's how far you can travel in a straight line. I used to have great fun preparing looting trips to a city a day or two away. I'd have to make sure I had enough supplies with me to build a temporary base overnight and a hard time choosing what to bring back with me when time came to return. Now there's little opportunity for such extended trips and with towns being so close together no point in actually doing one.

People stick to the roads because _ALL_ POI's are on a road. Stick some high-value POI's in the wilderness without road access and you'll likely see people wandering off into the wilds to look for them.
    80% of the fog of war was not removed.

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBrian View Post
    I think it's a mistake to interpret the data that way through. It's not about exploring a large percentage of the map, it's about the freedom to drive in one direction without encountering a wall.

My group and I went back to a16.4 for a variety of reasons, but one of the big ones is the dramatically larger map sizes. Our mid-late game consisted of packing up and moving to a new city in search of the next perfect base / build project. We always saw something new and unexpected, and it kept the game fresh and made each playthrough a mystery because you didn't know if your first area was going to be any good or not.

I'm sure 90% of our exploration was completely confined to areas near major roads, which is a very minor portion of the map, but the difference is we could pick a direction and just go without almost immediately bumping into the end of the map after a town or two.
    Its not like we don't want to support large or infinite maps, but lets be realistic. A very high quality high performing map beats an infinite or very large and ugly slow performing map. I prefer smaller maps because it takes hours of real time to meet up with your friends or hours between frags which is boring for pvp.

80% of the fog of war was not removed.
    What was the maximum distance travelled in percentage of the map?

Try not to think of unexplored wilderness as "dead space". It's a hazard to navigation and by extension a hazard to survival.
    Last edited by The Gronk; 02-11-2019 at 09:23 PM.