View Poll Results: Developer Diary for Developers

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Newly Updated

    0 0%
  • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole

    0 0%
  • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

    0 0%
Page 3327 of 3381 FirstFirst ... 232728273227327733173325332633273328332933373377 ... LastLast
Results 49,891 to 49,905 of 50714

Thread: Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

  1. #49891
    Zombie Hunter Hek Harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    France
    Posts
    493
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DaVegaNL View Post
    Currently trying to recruit some more people in a plot to kill my wife, without anyone finding out..
    Harder than one might think ^^
    Try the dark web

  2. #49892
    Beloved Curmudgeon DaVegaNL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,868
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hek Harris View Post
    Try the dark web
    Nah, don't have any torches or a mining helmet with me.

  3. #49893
    Reconstructionist spacepiggio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    528
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Royal Deluxe View Post
    I buy a "o"

    Originally Posted by Roland
    HINT:

    I__ D____ W____ I__ D____



    No chatter that I've seen about an impending release.

    Its Done When Its Done

    Freakin Nubes...

    I know I have asked like a 1,000 times but can we please get another Timer on the Forge.
    Here is a hint where I think it should go.
    In the Big Black Background where you Add Fuel there is a TIMER.
    Please Add A Timer in the Big Black Background where it says,
    SMELTING
    Last edited by spacepiggio; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:48 PM.

  4. #49894
    Colony Founder
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,747
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by rm304 View Post
    When everyone complaining about stamina drain, guess what was adjusted in 17.1? After the 2016 review trashed the game saying ugly, dated graphics, guess what the next focus was on? Everyone stating how easy the game is, then this alpha, Z's are falling on top of you from rafters and spawning behind you, finding you no matter where you are. I ran a dedi server for couple years. So yes, I do understand. We all obviously love this game, but after 4 years of playing, still no end game or bosses, or reason to explore. its still feels like half the game is waiting for the next Alpha and reading these forums.
    The problem with your argument is that users are complaining about almost everything. ANY change done by TFP can therefore be atrributed to users complaining. In the same paragraph you talk about them listening too much you complain about them not listening to complaints about end game (there have been lots of users complaining about end game)

    Case in point: You say 2016 review, that was the time of A15. The next version, which you say has been about graphics, is Alpha16, which to my knowledge was about everything BUT graphics. I may be wrong, so please tell me what graphics focus you are talking about. See also an independent source on what A16 was about: https://www.greenmangaming.com/blog/...pha-16-update/ . The only dedicated graphics stuff according to greenmangaming were a few new animal textures and the painting tool.

    Generally TFP have shown that they implement features because they want them (you can ask a lot of forum users who spam their dissatisfaction with TFPs direction), but balance the features according to feedback. Which is one of three big reasons you do early access.

    Quote Originally Posted by rm304 View Post
    NPC's, World events, Battle arena, ect...
    Aaah, so you want to play World of Zombiecraft!
    Last edited by meganoth; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:52 PM.

  5. #49895
    Fun Pimps Staff Gazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    In your brains. Thinking your thoughts.
    Posts
    8,526
    Rep Power
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by meganoth View Post
    The problem with your argument is that users are complaining about almost everything. ANY change done by TFP can therefore be atrributed to users complaining. In the same paragraph you talk about them listening too much you complain about them not listening to complaints about end game (there have been lots of users complaining about end game)
    Some people need to write "correlation does not imply causation" 100 times.

    Thing that is obviously not working very well is being worked on said local man.

  6. #49896
    Colony Founder
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,747
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by fragtzack View Post
    There is a lot of quirks and thoughts needed for spoilage to be done logically. From a gaming perspective, really need to ask if the effort is worth it. Would the majority of players find spoilage fun? While I thought it was fun in concept, in Starvation it turned into more of annoyance to deal with then a fun challenge.
    The problem with these minigame concepts is that often it is just grindy micro-management without any complexity. See the weather/temperature minigame in A16, where the decision to change clothes when you got hot or cold was absolutely trivial and because of that not fun. In A17 at least it involves a small decision whether you want to be more resistant to heat or cold. And less grindy micro-management. And consequently there have been much less protests about the weather system.

    Food spoilage as a balancing tool for food has a use, I really don't see where non-trivial decisions can be placed though to make it a "fun" mechanic

    Quote Originally Posted by HeLLKnight View Post
    I really hope they are trying to update Unity to 2018.3 because new terrain system sounds too good:
    They claim more than a 50% reduction in CPU costs plus big improvements in quality

    before-after, identical triangle count:
    Are you sure that would work with Voxels? Are you sure the 50% reduction is in game play, not generation?
    Last edited by meganoth; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:25 PM.

  7. #49897
    Community Moderator OzHawkeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,200
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by meganoth View Post
    The problem with these minigame concepts is that often it is just grindy micro-management without any complexity. See the weather/temperature minigame in A16, where the decision to change clothes when you got hot or cold was absolutely trivial and because of that not fun. In A17 at least it involves a small decision whether you want to be more resistant to heat or cold. And less grindy micro-management. And consequently there have been much less protests about the weather system.
    Truth that. This is the first Alpha since the weather system was introduced that I didn't just turn it off in the console or mod it out of the XML's. Now, I deal with it early game, knowing that I can perk into (and gear up) to eventually more or less eliminate it (I still have one item of clothing to swap around if I go Desert-Snow or back).

    A17, for me, massively improved weather, by making overcoming it a legit goal and spec choice.

  8. #49898
    Scavenger ltbrunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    30
    Rep Power
    0
    As a long time 7DTD player and at 4000 hrs I feel with this latest build the game is almost perfect. Outside of the bandits is 7 days to die close to being finished?

    I know there are tons of things you guys are working on but right now the game feels like a near finished product.

  9. #49899
    Nomad
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    385
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by OzHawkeye View Post
    Truth that. This is the first Alpha since the weather system was introduced that I didn't just turn it off in the console or mod it out of the XML's. Now, I deal with it early game, knowing that I can perk into (and gear up) to eventually more or less eliminate it (I still have one item of clothing to swap around if I go Desert-Snow or back).

    A17, for me, massively improved weather, by making overcoming it a legit goal and spec choice.
    When I am Hot I take off clothing.
    When I am cold I put on more clothing.
    Previous weather just needed a tiny bit more tweaking and it worked just like end game(after spending points in) does now.
    All I needed was to add or remove a coat. which Is why I reintegrated it back into this alpha.
    I do not see this as a legitimate thing(skill/perk) to be forced to waste points on.
    To me it is common sense.

  10. #49900
    Survivor crossed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    66
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by meganoth View Post
    The problem with these minigame concepts is that often it is just grindy micro-management without any complexity.
    They should give no options to deal with food spoilage = no micro management.
    Except of course for getting off your butt and finding some fresh food every now and then, instead of living off your gigantic stack of food that you hoarded up months ago.

    But I agree that as long as there are vending machines, traders and you can make a living as a woodcutter there's not much point introducing new mechanics to make the survival aspect more challenging.

  11. #49901
    Colony Founder Gareee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,398
    Rep Power
    1
    2000+ hours, and only used a vending machine once.. for water when I couldn't find any in a desert day one.

    We DO however use the traders now more often with the quest system and buying htf items like a tool n die set.

    It might be good to nerf the trader payouts a LITTLE though, and increase the buying cost of produced items to encourage those types of gameplay, selling the higher tier crafted foods for significant amounts.

    ...and we want more quests! They are a good way to stretch out the mid/end gameplay, doing something significant. Maybe delivery quests in the higher quest tiers, picking a fetch/clear up a few miles away, and delivering it to another trader to get the reward there (and discover the other trader locations)?

    Or a quest to craft something and deliver it, like electrical components, or vehicles? (Like deliver 5 bikes, 3 power generators, or 10 spotlights)

    A reason to scrounge more for parts to fullfill quests.

    It could even be food delivery to a static npc in a building somewhere.

  12. #49902
    Refugee
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    26
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by meganoth View Post
    Are you sure that would work with Voxels? Are you sure the 50% reduction is in game play, not generation?
    Let's read:

    UNITY 2018.3
    On the performance side, we added a GPU-instanced render path for terrain. In most cases, instancing yields a dramatic reduction in the number of draw calls issued. Many of our tests saw more than a 50% reduction in CPU costs (though, of course, actual numbers will depend on your platform and use case)
    They talk about render path, so for me this means ingame, not generation. Also the performance improvement comes from a dramatic reduction in "Draw calls" which is one of the most expensive cpu tasks at any game. If you have to many draw calls, you end very cpu bottlenecked. And we know 7d2d is cpu bottlenecked for sure, but only a dev can tell us how important would be to reduce terrain draw calls in this particular voxel game. Even if 7d2d is not pushing draw calls too much now, as far as I understand jumping to Unity 2018.3 would allow devs to put a ton more objects on screen and not killing our cpus.

    On the other side, we know that 10-20 zombies on screen annihilate fps even on the best machine in the market, and Faatal talked a few times about they are trying to improve the character controller. Also we know Unity has occlusion culling system, but madmole confirmed the game doesn't have this implemented yet.
    Last edited by HeLLKnight; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:30 PM.

  13. #49903
    Refugee
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    3rd planet, Sol
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareee View Post
    2000+ hours, and only used a vending machine once.. for water when I couldn't find any in a desert day one.

    We DO however use the traders now more often with the quest system and buying htf items like a tool n die set.

    It might be good to nerf the trader payouts a LITTLE though, and increase the buying cost of produced items to encourage those types of gameplay, selling the higher tier crafted foods for significant amounts.

    ...and we want more quests! They are a good way to stretch out the mid/end gameplay, doing something significant. Maybe delivery quests in the higher quest tiers, picking a fetch/clear up a few miles away, and delivering it to another trader to get the reward there (and discover the other trader locations)?

    Or a quest to craft something and deliver it, like electrical components, or vehicles? (Like deliver 5 bikes, 3 power generators, or 10 spotlights)

    A reason to scrounge more for parts to fullfill quests.

    It could even be food delivery to a static npc in a building somewhere.
    What about a quest to deliver to POI where you have to restock the vending machines. That would then answer the question of how do they constantly get restocked.

  14. #49904
    Hunter Genosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    NB, Canada
    Posts
    117
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Silbendy View Post
    What about a quest to deliver to POI where you have to restock the vending machines. That would then answer the question of how do they constantly get restocked.
    +1 for this, that's actually kinda awesome to take some unexplained things and make a reasonable player-made excuse for it. Same could be said of traveling between one trader to the next as a caravan quest, which would both explain how they restock, as well as aid in finding other traders on the map.

  15. #49905
    Scavenger
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    0
    Are here still people playing A16? I think i'm switching back until A17.2 drops.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •