Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: BloodSlinger's Advanced Recipe Editor

BloodSlinger's Advanced Recipe Editor

Does NOT currently support Unity 5.
    I have more work-related projects going than hours exist in a day.
    I do plan to address the editor and make it compatible with U5 but I have no ETA when that will actually happen.

Supports 7D2Die Alpha 10.4+
    Current features as of v1.3.0.4:
    - Disabled extraction byte swap and DXT5 compression because TFP switched back again and the Atlas is packed in DTX5, again

- NOTE to Windows XP users:
    - The new image processing may or may not be compatible with Windows XP.
    - I no longer support Windows XP in any way. The time is past due, sooo.. that's the deal.
    - Windows XP was officially end of life by Microsoft the beginning of 2014 (in April to be precise).
    - Using an OS past its EOL puts you at SERIOUS risk since you won't get security (or any other) official updates from the manufact.
    - Get off XP. I recommend Windows 7 (over 8) at the moment. Windows 7 is excellent.

This software and its user-base has grown significantly. I appreciate the feedback and it's a fun project. I personally use it a lot to experiment. The new recipe archive system can provide another level of cross-share capability, including at the server level. A console app that processes the archives and the recipes file would be fairly trivial for anyone to create.

Let me know thoughts once this latest version gets hammered.

Features:
    The Current Features reflects the latest released features or those on the way, or both.

Installation:
    The editor can be downloaded from here. Unzip it somewhere you want to be the home of the editor. It can take a few seconds to load as that's WPF. Give it time. Once loaded, if the default location is not where you have Steam (or 7D2D in general if you don't have Steam at all) just navigate to where you have 7D2Die installed.

You should see any validation errors in the settings editor disappear. That means it's ready to go. Hit save and it will immediately start processing. If you don't see item images, refer to the bottom of this post for more details on how you can make that possible. Remember to extract the latest files for latest version of the game to see all correct items.

Requirements:
    This software requires Microsoft .NET 4.0.

Current UI:

Example archive system:
    There are a few defaults that will generate on 1st run or when the SevenRecipeArchives.xml file doesn't exist in the root folder of the editor. A comprehensive multi-file merge and interchange is possible if enough people think they could use it.

There is currently no limit to the number of archives that can be created, nor the number of recipes within each. Several commands are available related to the archive and main recipes making transfer between them very simple. The below is an example of one of my archives.

Last edited by BloodSlinger; 05-28-2015 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Added support for A10+

WooHoo... Thanks Blood, And thanks for the Item Image gallery.. looks good.

ha, sure thing. I figured "why not!"

Once we have much better access to far more images, either through officially loose files (or through more hard work of people digging for them), might wind up with bigger versions. The item images are fairly tiny images stored inside the big DDS as a container, so there's no way to make those specific images better resolution. Not enough to work with from the get-go.

Thank you very much Blood. Looks great.

Thanks! The total amount of functions, drag n drop, and just generally ease at which everything can be created and used is really coming along. Not sure when the next release will hit, but 1.0.0.5 is extremely usable in every way so far from my local use of it.

Update released. Original links at the top should point to latest. Let me know if any issues.

7.9 and maint release:
    - Made the settings editor easier to read.
    - Added settings editor image size sliders for recipe categories, draggable ingredients and new recipe lists.
    - Updated many UI elements across the editor to make them easier to read.
    - Added count indicators for ingredients in-use (specific to a users list) and all item index (1035 items as-of game v7.9)
    - Fixed all item ingredients filter now clears on main Reload.
    - Fixed main recipe filter box now focused automatically on main Reload, consistent with program load behavior.

Blood,

I just jumped into this thread to tell you how well the editor worked saving recipes. As I stepped into 7.9 tonight I noticed that all of the recipes I made in 7.8 were still there. And what did I find here? Another update, very cool!

Excellent to hear. Did you use the new recipe archive to do that? That's the #1 reason I made that thing. We can spend a lot of time messing around making incredible custom recipes and poof... gone on next game update, until now.

Game updates, load editor, click to merge your stuff in from your archive, hit save, you're done. At-least, that was my intention. Is that what you did?

The archive system has a lot more potential than just that, but that is indeed the #1 reason I created it. To save us some pain and loss of work.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSlinger View Post
    Excellent to hear. Did you use the new recipe archive to do that? That's the #1 reason I made that thing. We can spend a lot of time messing around making incredible custom recipes and poof... gone on next game update, until now.

Game updates, load editor, click to merge your stuff in from your archive, hit save, you're done. At-least, that was my intention. Is that what you did?

The archive system has a lot more potential than just that, but that is indeed the #1 reason I created it. To save us some pain and loss of work.
    Spot on, it worked. Yes, I agree about the potential of your editor, I will enjoy watching how you, Hal, Grim, and Red, and others continue to develop and grow as 7DTD matures. I jumped in with 4.1, wow, how the game has progressed since then, and you guys around it. Thanks again, off to create a recipe to pretend to barter with coal in exchange for iron.

Perfect.

As new game updates hit where they've added, deleted, renamed items (7.8 is a good example of that happening) users will need to examine their archived recipes for any that went obsolete.

An example would be a recipe that creates an item for which that item no longer exists because TFP either renamed the object, or deleted it entirely. One approach I can do to automate that for people is to scrub the archive with code and check the recipes versus the game item index file to locate items no longer represented (renamed or deleted) and bring that to the users attention. That'll work fine for those that do extract the index and dds properly, but couldn't cover those that don't.

When I get a chance over the coming days I'll see what it will take to automate the extraction of the index and dds. I've got some raw platform code from Grim on some structures he's deciphered in general on how he does it inside UAE. I'll need to thoroughly parse through it and create managed language counterparts for the operations.

I am certainly looking forward to that. Do you have any plans to incorporate recipes via campfire into the editor? It might be there already and I have just overlooked it.

Thank again, too much fun!

I haven't done anything specific for campfire recipes yet. The vast majority of all recipes are craft window related so that was the main focus.

However because I expose the actual XML itself in the main editor, all recipes including those that use craft area and craft tools (those are the campfire recipes, and potentially others now or in future as they expand) can be edited right now. You just do that manually in the XML editor pane.

That's where the real-time XML validation I wrote comes into play. If you mess up the XML structure you'll know it immediately because the right side where it says "Validating [recipe name]" will tell you. It doesn't validate values, but it does fully validate the actual XML structure as you make changes in memory.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSlinger View Post
    I haven't done anything specific for campfire recipes yet. The vast majority of all recipes are craft window related so that was the main focus.

However because I expose the actual XML itself in the main editor, all recipes including those that use craft area and craft tools (those are the campfire recipes, and potentially others now or in future as they expand) can be edited right now. You just do that manually in the XML editor pane.

That's where the real-time XML validation I wrote comes into play. If you mess up the XML structure you'll know it immediately because the right side where it says "Validating [recipe name]" will tell you. It doesn't validate values, but it does fully validate the actual XML structure as you make changes in memory.
    I need to get more comfortable playing with the campfire from within the editor, I still jump to N++ to fiddle with the campfire recipes. Looking forward to what comes next!

Next release coming some time today:

Major feature: Automatic extraction of item image index and DDS image are in final testing.

This will remove the requirement to manually extract these files to see item images in the editor.

Big thanks to Grim for figuring out the internal asset structures and for sharing byte structure information.

Edited:
    Since we can't edit the top post I'll see about using the main UI image itself as a way to indicate latest info in some cases.

v1.0.0.7 released:
    Supports 7D2Die Alpha 7.9+
    Major feature in v1.0.0.7:
    - Item image index and DDS can now be extracted by the editor.

As always the Current Features reflects latest, and the editor can be downloaded from here.

Hit refresh on this thread and the Current UI image at the top should update to latest, reflecting this change.

Let me know any issues.