View Poll Results: Which do think is most exciting for future mods (both are coming for A17)

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • POI Editor and huge block id limit increase

    86 65.65%
  • Moddable dialog trees and quest objectives

    45 34.35%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 72

Thread: Which is the more important main feature of the game VI

  1. #16
    Leader Aldranon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Somewhere in a universe near you.
    Posts
    5,360
    Rep Power
    1
    Intelligent and reactive dialogs/quests would put 7D2D ahead of the gaming industry. More blocks just keeps you playing catch up.
    Last edited by Aldranon; 03-06-2018 at 03:53 PM.

  2. #17
    Fun Pimps Staff Gazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    In your brains. Thinking your thoughts.
    Posts
    7,937
    Rep Power
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Maharin View Post
    Will the POI editor work on operating systems other than Windows? Please say yes.
    It's within the game so probably as well as the rest of it.

  3. #18
    Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Enemy for life
    Posts
    18,314
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by RestInPieces View Post
    Surely, quests have to be a LOT more creative than that. In general, I am not a fan of quests, expect perhaps if they were to be implemented in a specific manner, which I have posted about in the past - seamless, dymamic and random, so that they don't feel like quests at all.

    Anyway, I still don't quite get what "moddable quest objectives" include. Can anyone make an example?

    As for dialog trees, save for various quests/stories with different outcomes that modders will create, I don't see much use for them in this sandbox survival we have here. And these will essentially be one-time content.
    Note that I am a huge fan of rpgs that involve dialog trees etc, fallout included, but I am having a hard time imagining how they will offer something substantial to this game.
    Aren't you the story guy? Quests are how that's delivered.

    More to the point though, right now we gather, build, and fight. That's it. Nothing more. Quests will give us a reason to travel, things to do, and most importantly, another avenue to "level up" that's not dependant on punching rocks.

    Conversations will allow us to build a rich environment for securing the quests that don't revolve around random finds. Choices can finally have meaning.

    More blocks is great. It really is. But really, if I take out the blocks I don't need for my mod, I'm flush anyway. And pilles prefab editor is great for making prefabs; I can do them a lot faster now, and will likely not move to the in-game editor (I've used it, and although I'm sure it's improved since then, I still prefer pilles).

  4. #19
    Colony Founder
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,069
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by RestInPieces View Post
    Anyway, I still don't quite get what "moddable quest objectives" include. Can anyone make an example?
    From the bits and pieces we have heard I think a possible example could be this quest:

    "If you are interested in an opportunity, meet me on day 14 at noon at location 400N, 300W"

    If you get to that location on time, either of three things might happen:

    1) 30% chance: you are ambushed by bandits who used the quest as bait

    2) 5% chance: you find a dead NPC with a paper hinting at a hidden chest somewhere

    3) 65% chance: An NPC tells you that he knows a building that is home to a zombie boss (or alternatively bandits) where a working chem station is in the cellar. He offers to give you the location and will pay you 200 coins if you bring back an antibiotics pill for his dying wife.

    3a) you can accept or decline. If you decline, he might attack you (20%), ignore you (20%) or sweeten his offer with more coins or an extended magazine mod (60%). You even might be able to decide if you want more coins or the mod.

    Gazz, any comment on whether this might be possible in A17? I imagine the timed appearance of the quest npc could be implemented as an appropriatley delayed spawn buff on a block in that exact location lasting a few minutes.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------

    Even better example: Just play FTL and see what a good writer and some randomization can do with a better quest system in a randomly generated world
    Last edited by meganoth; 03-06-2018 at 04:45 PM.

  5. #20
    Colony Founder Maharin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,723
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    It's within the game so probably as well as the rest of it.
    Awesome!

  6. #21
    Colony Founder Maharin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,723
    Rep Power
    1
    As for the poll... I intend to make good use of both systems but I can see the dialog stuff adding a great deal of depth the game that it is currently lacking so I voted for that.

    The POI editor will undoubtedly lead to a HUGE variety of POIs being created and shared but there is already quit a variety so I see it as less impactful at this point.

  7. #22
    Reconstructionist warmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    522
    Rep Power
    0
    To me, both are very closely related. If you are creating quests, I would think you would want to have a specific POI type in mind for that quest. If it is story driven and a long term quest, it makes sense to have several unique POI along the way to set it apart from the rest of the games POI.

  8. #23
    Inventor toores's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    933
    Rep Power
    1
    QUESTS!

    It adds more depth and gameplay to the game then increased block limit.

  9. #24
    Reconstructionist RestInPieces's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    663
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by meganoth View Post
    From the bits and pieces we have heard I think a possible example could be this quest:

    "If you are interested in an opportunity, meet me on day 14 at noon at location 400N, 300W"

    If you get to that location on time, either of three things might happen:

    1) 30% chance: you are ambushed by bandits who used the quest as bait

    2) 5% chance: you find a dead NPC with a paper hinting at a hidden chest somewhere

    3) 65% chance: An NPC tells you that he knows a building that is home to a zombie boss (or alternatively bandits) where a working chem station is in the cellar. He offers to give you the location and will pay you 200 coins if you bring back an antibiotics pill for his dying wife.

    3a) you can accept or decline. If you decline, he might attack you (20%), ignore you (20%) or sweeten his offer with more coins or an extended magazine mod (60%). You even might be able to decide if you want more coins or the mod.

    Gazz, any comment on whether this might be possible in A17? I imagine the timed appearance of the quest npc could be implemented as an appropriatley delayed spawn buff on a block in that exact location lasting a few minutes.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------

    Even better example: Just play FTL and see what a good writer and some randomization can do with a better quest system in a randomly generated world
    It's a good example actually, this is approximately the way I would want a quest to function - with random chances to different outcomes (FTL is one of my favorite indie games). Complex enough, so that it doesn't get repetitive. So, with the current modding tools (since I am clueless about modding in 7D), it isn't possible for example, to trigger events (with or without a random chance)?

  10. #25
    Super Moderator Roland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    On a Zipline
    Posts
    12,163
    Rep Power
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by RestInPieces View Post
    It's a good example actually, this is approximately the way I would want a quest to function - with random chances to different outcomes (FTL is one of my favorite indie games). Complex enough, so that it doesn't get repetitive. So, with the current modding tools (since I am clueless about modding in 7D), it isn't possible for example, to trigger events (with or without a random chance)?
    I know that the new buff system can trigger happenings from events but for details on what exactly might be possible Gazz or Kinyajuu or Prime would have to chime in.

  11. #26
    Colony Founder
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,069
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by RestInPieces View Post
    So, with the current modding tools (since I am clueless about modding in 7D), it isn't possible for example, to trigger events (with or without a random chance)?
    Simply judging from what modders have NOT done or used strange detours to implement it anyone can make good guesses what is probably impossible (or very very hard to find out): For example create a zombie spawn event from a quest. If that were possible a lot of modders would have used it. Or make a quest with a choice or multiple paths without using multiple recipes as "providers" of that choice.
    Last edited by meganoth; 03-06-2018 at 09:52 PM.

  12. #27
    Colony Founder Maharin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,723
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by meganoth View Post
    Simply judging from what modders have NOT done or used strange detours to implement it anyone can make good guesses what is probably impossible (or very very hard to find out): For example create a zombie spawn event from a quest. If that were possible a lot of modders would have used it. Or make a quest with a choice or multiple paths without using multiple recipes as "providers" of that choice.
    Yeah, the stuff possible in XML for events is pretty basic and mostly geared toward harvesting resources and crops growing. With A17 there should be a LOT more toys to play with.

    I hope someday they open up possible animation sequences to be activated in events so you could have a trader flip you the bird if you piss them off in a transaction. Might also get a zombie to do the moon walk while singing Thriller.

  13. #28
    Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Enemy for life
    Posts
    18,314
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Maharin View Post
    Might also get a zombie to do the moon walk while singing Thriller.
    I have zombies in my med mod that I can rig to the thriller dance. =)

    ...tempted on doing it, as a gag... just one rando who may or may not appear doing the dance. I would lol.

  14. #29
    Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Enemy for life
    Posts
    18,314
    Rep Power
    1

  15. #30
    Reconstructionist warmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    522
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    That is pretty awesome a cool easter egg for a very specific event or item you have on you during the blood moon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •