Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Medicine Skill EXP-gain is far off

  1. #1
    Hunter
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    0

    Medicine Skill EXP-gain is far off

    Hello!

    So in the past there was this big discussion where People used to spam craft to get their skills to level 100.

    Some skills were really easy to get to 100, others like ammo smithing were taking long and ressource consuming nevertheless.

    Now most of this is removed, as we have perks mostly, but Medicine is still a skill, so you cooouuld power-level it.



    Now people say: Yeah I only play the game the way it is intended so I don't level-up illegitimate and my skills are REAL and not grind-fake.


    Okay, it's definetly legit to think like this, BUT

    Medicine just levels so far slow, it is NOT getting higher in any relation to other skills.

    So normally you even try to avoid getting hit and you really RARELY use medicine items. But I say even when you are dumb and you have to eat 5-10 bandages every day, then you really do not raise the skill at all.



    I just did a test:

    I ate 330 Bandages

    and went from 55,6 --> 58,1

    So 2,5 level for 330 Bandages ?


    1. it took SOME time in the game to eat them, not insanely long, but I was just clicking that 1 button for ages.

    2. what is much more important:

    I am at day 100 and I may say that regarding NORMAL Gameplay, I did not even ate 330 Bandages in that WHOLE TIME!

    So I am at medicine 58 now, but only because I did this power-leveling alot and was just standing there, eating 100s of Bandages.

    I am pretty sure that if I hadn't done this, I would be like Medicine ~ 30 or even lower. And my other skills are ALL at level 100, no joke. Just Firearms 81/100, the rest is 100.


    Therefore my point is:

    EVEN if you power-grind your skills, then Medicine will still take ages to get to level 100. And as the game is not meant to do power-grinding, then you will probably never get to Medicine 100, no way what you do - but all other skills would be way above meanwhile.

    So please fix this EXP-gain for Medicine Skill items.

  2. #2
    Tracker
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    225
    Rep Power
    0
    Ok, question to all players - How often did you think like "Oh no, my medicine is too low, I cant play further with such low medicine, need levelup it ASAP!", how many of you at least care about medicine perk?
    I never even check how much this perk leveled, but after your words I'd check my games, and medicine usually at 20-35 at end of game. Really, this perk looks useless and not worth points or time and resources for level grinding. Even more, after few playthroughs you understand that all Health branch perks except athletics is useless or almost useless. And only reason for leveling them is - You're perfectionist.

  3. #3
    Inventor Menace312's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    920
    Rep Power
    1
    Well... One COULD argue that "sexy thores" is a "Health branch perks", which is definitely usefull.
    But otherwise I would agree...

  4. #4
    Hunter ColdSteelRain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    110
    Rep Power
    1
    It's not something I even look at.

    You can double the healing effect of medicines if you max this out, so it isn't worthless, but I've never spent points on it.

  5. #5
    Colony Founder Maharin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,725
    Rep Power
    1
    I've never quite understood the mentality of having to min/max your playstyle to get maximum benefit at the earliest point possible. I wonder how many of these people that do that run their real lives the same way? "I don't want to bust open that rock just yet, I need another point of Rock Smashing first so I can get the most iron from it!"

    Just play... the skills will catch up when they catch up.

    /boggle

  6. #6
    Super Moderator Roland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    On a Zipline
    Posts
    13,054
    Rep Power
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Maharin View Post
    I've never quite understood the mentality of having to min/max your playstyle to get maximum benefit at the earliest point possible. I wonder how many of these people that do that run their real lives the same way? "I don't want to bust open that rock just yet, I need another point of Rock Smashing first so I can get the most iron from it!"

    Just play... the skills will catch up when they catch up.

    /boggle
    I see you are min/maxing logic to come to your point in as few posts as possible. Can't you just post naturally with some pithy memes and references to "the majority" and just post so the logic catches up when it does?

  7. #7
    Nomad
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    354
    Rep Power
    0
    I assume it's just an oversight. Medicine should be a 5-rank perk like any other that provides real bonuses to healing.

  8. #8
    Reconstructionist Katitof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    731
    Rep Power
    1
    Well, medicine with how fast it levels up might not be there at all.

    I wouldn't want to see it as a perk, because pure resource efficiency perks not focused on gathering or damage seem like an utter waste, however I am not going to craft and use TOUSANDS of medical items just to use 2 bandages instead of 3 one day.

  9. #9
    Tracker
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Nagoya Japan
    Posts
    187
    Rep Power
    0
    Medicine is a skill I ignore. It levels too slowly and has too small of an effect to waste any time on. Now if making medical items were tied to skill there........

  10. #10
    Colony Founder
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,442
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Loooser View Post
    I just did a test:

    I ate 330 Bandages

    and went from 55,6 --> 58,1

    So 2,5 level for 330 Bandages ?
    Well, maybe bandages give more xp if you are really bleeding (my guess would be no, but you should be sure about it if you base any argument on it).

    Also a bandage is the most basic medicine item, easy to mass produce from the start. Why should it give much xp? Compare that to the monsters and quests in the starting area of an MMORPG, they usually don't give any xp at all to a higher level PC.

    Try first aid bandages and kits, make sure you need them (any zombie around will gladly help you tirelessly to remove unwanted HPs)

    Or you could check the XML and do the math.

  11. #11
    Super Moderator Roland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    On a Zipline
    Posts
    13,054
    Rep Power
    2
    or...you could realize that the skills as we've had them in A14 - A16 are now legacy and it is all going to be very different going forward so that worrying about how to change the current skill is really a dead-end road. Fix it for yourself in the xml if you feel the need while playing A16 but there will need to be a new conversation about this after A17 comes out. Nothing is going to relate with what we are experiencing now.

  12. #12
    Colony Founder Maharin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,725
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Nothing is going to relate with what we are experiencing now.
    Well... that statement, as written, is impossible to comprehend.

  13. #13
    Survivor qprophet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    or...you could realize that the skills as we've had them in A14 - A16 are now legacy and it is all going to be very different going forward so that worrying about how to change the current skill is really a dead-end road. Fix it for yourself in the xml if you feel the need while playing A16 but there will need to be a new conversation about this after A17 comes out. Nothing is going to relate with what we are experiencing now.
    We are ascending beyond the need of mere skills or even HUDs. As The Roland saith, so shall it be done!

  14. #14
    Colony Founder LuckyStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    With your Mom
    Posts
    2,601
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    or...you could realize that the skills as we've had them in A14 - A16 are now legacy and it is all going to be very different going forward so that worrying about how to change the current skill is really a dead-end road. Fix it for yourself in the xml if you feel the need while playing A16 but there will need to be a new conversation about this after A17 comes out. Nothing is going to relate with what we are experiencing now.
    Yeah I don't see why people are commenting on these systems when all are changing.

    O.o

    Seems like a waste of time..... much like this comment.

  15. #15
    Hunter
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    0
    Maaaaan ... this Complaint of mine is NOT about a problem that Medicine takes too long to get to level 100.

    And I also know that all of you don't care about their Medicine skill.

    The Problem is: it simply levels TOO SLOW compared to any other skill.

    Got me ? It not in interested to get medicine high. It is simply not balanced in the EXP-gain compared to all other skills.



    A lot guys say: Don't power level! It is not the way the game is intended!

    Yes okay - then let me do so and by some day I will have all my skills at 60 - 80 and my Medicine skill will still be at 15 or 25. Now again: Not a big deal, why should you care about it.

    But on the other hand:

    Why should it NOT be BALANCED then? There is no official reason why anyone should focus on this skill nevertheless, but on the other hand I don't know any game where 1 skill is made ultra-slow in its gain intentionally (!).

    So I know you don't care about it, but why do you even WANT that medicine does not scale up like any other skill too ?
    This is my point ... it is simply not in balance with the rest.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •