PDA

View Full Version : Help! AMD or INTEL?

Bert_E
05-14-2014, 04:33 PM
Help please. Decided to bite the bullet and upgrade my desktop PC.

Fallen at the first hurdle. Do I go AMD FX or A10 or Intel i5? Those are within my budget and the choice is baffling.

Have my eyes on an Intel i5-4690 with 16Gb ram or AMD A10-6800K Quad Core APU (4.4GHz) also with 16 GB Ram.

Going for a Geforce GTX 770 2GB card. Any thoughts or help?

Cheers

Boldero
05-14-2014, 05:25 PM
Well, Intel and Nvidia have been in bed with each other for a while now, and there have been rumours that Intel may well be buying heavily into nvidia at some point this year, so if I were looking at a geforce gfx card I would for sure be matching it up with an Intel processor.

But you may well get more bang for your buck looking at an AMD/Radeon combo...

Bert_E
05-14-2014, 06:24 PM
Well, Intel and Nvidia have been in bed with each other for a while now, and there have been rumours that Intel may well be buying heavily into nvidia at some point this year, so if I were looking at a geforce gfx card I would for sure be matching it up with an Intel processor.

But you may well get more bang for your buck looking at an AMD/Radeon combo...

Thanks. The more I look in to this the more confused I get. Been a long time since I got my head in the guts of a PC, bit out of touch ,-)

Fox
05-14-2014, 07:09 PM
When it comes to gaming, you'll never need anything more than what an AMD CPU has to offer which allows you to put your budget towards something that actually matters in gaming, which is a high end Nvidia GPU. AMD GPUs always seem to have issues with most games because most games tend to support Nvidia more and build their games around it. So I definitely recommend Nvidia for your graphics needs. But when it comes to CPUs, Intel is just money hungry. That extra 10% performance for things other than gaming is not worth it in my opinion unless you really need that extra 10%.

Bert_E
05-14-2014, 07:36 PM
Cheers, Fox. I've always had Amd and Nvidia in my PC's, but reading through reams of stuff today it all got too much for my addled brain and I just had to ask for some pointers. Much appreciated. I know where I'm going with this now. Ta!

LimeyRon
05-15-2014, 01:38 AM
Going for a Geforce GTX 770 2GB card. Any thoughts or help?

Cheers

Just so you know, my new GTX 770 is working like a dream. Very good choice :)

This is the one I got:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CU9GOAO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a bit more beefy than the standard one and has an extra fan. Also, it's approved by Fox :D

Sho'nuff
05-15-2014, 02:06 AM
Everything I have read goes along with what Fox says. Unless you plan on doing a lot of video editing also, than I would go with Intel.

LetLiveEverything
05-15-2014, 03:18 AM
CPU performance rarely differs between AMD and Intel for gaming. You are never going to get a balance towards one choice or the other.

If you just want brute power, most people will recommend Intel.

If you want respectable power at a fantastic price, go AMD.

With a CPU, it's not really about power. It's about practicality and budget.

My AMD 8350 CPU does perfectly fine. Most games barely make use of it, and in theory since the PS4/Xbox One use an AMD 8 core CPU, most PC ports of games should utilize more power from a PC AMD 8 core CPU (in theory).

If you do decide to go with AMD, do NOT buy above the 8350. The extra performance isn't worth the price at all.

Bert_E
05-15-2014, 08:40 AM
Just so you know, my new GTX 770 is working like a dream. Very good choice :)

This is the one I got:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CU9GOAO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a bit more beefy than the standard one and has an extra fan. Also, it's approved by Fox :D
Cheers, I'm getting all excited about rebuilding my old PC! Windows 7 or 8 you think?

@Sho'nuff - thanks appreciate all the feedback, it's making this easier. I do 3D cad on my current AMD PC and unless I'm dealing with hundreds of components I don't have any issues, so AMD seems to be the way to go.

@LetLiveEverything - thanks, I was looking at the 8 core, gonna check if it's in my budget

Thanks guys, your input has really helped :tickled_pink:

LimeyRon
05-15-2014, 12:07 PM
Cheers, I'm getting all excited about rebuilding my old PC! Windows 7 or 8 you think?

You're welcome :) Definitely Windows 7. You go with Windows 8 and you'll regret it. I've heard nothing but bad things and people reverting to Win7 because they admit they made a mistake. Get Win7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM version. It's a lot cheaper (when it's on sale) than the retail version but be careful who you buy it from. I've seen complaints about people getting ripped off and receiving CDs that were originally shipped with new Dell computers. You can also buy the digital download version but get it from a trusted website :encouragement:

I found this after I'd already bought mine from Amazon:

http://www.mrhightech.com/operating-systems/1204-microsoft-windows-7-professional-0882224883436.html

You can use a USB stick to install it instead of a CD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaXARa7jQMM

You'll need this: http://www.wintobootic.com/ if you decide to go the USB route.

Bert_E
05-15-2014, 12:34 PM
You're welcome :) Definitely Windows 7. You go with Windows 8 and you'll regret it. I've heard nothing but bad things and people reverting to Win7 because they admit they made a mistake. Get Win7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM version. It's a lot cheaper (when it's on sale) than the retail version but be careful who you buy it from. I've seen complaints about people getting ripped off and receiving CDs that were originally shipped with new Dell computers. You can also buy the digital download version but get it from a trusted website :encouragement:

I found this after I'd already bought mine from Amazon:

http://www.mrhightech.com/operating-systems/1204-microsoft-windows-7-professional-0882224883436.html

You can use a USB stick to install it instead of a CD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaXARa7jQMM

You'll need this: http://www.wintobootic.com/ if you decide to go the USB route.

Star!

LimeyRon
05-15-2014, 01:01 PM
Star!

:star:

:D

Rocky
05-15-2014, 03:31 PM
yes, only windows 7 64 bit, nothing else..

and do an AMD/nvidia setup... just because intel and nvidia join together this year, doesnt mean it will change your hardware you buy now

AMD FX is half the price for a fractional difference in speed, put that extra saved $ into a better gtx670

edit: and are you doing video editing and stuff on your PC? or just gaming? if you are upgrading it for just gaming then theres no reason to have over 8 gb of ram, it wont be used

Fox
05-15-2014, 04:12 PM
Windows 7 = Designed for any style PC
Windows 8 = Designed for tablets and PCs with touchscreen capabilities.
Windows Vista = designed to piss us off and consume all our resources for no reason at all, lol.
Windows XP = The best OS in the world that everyone wants but can't have anymore because of 32 bit limitations and driver support. :(

Bert_E
05-15-2014, 04:17 PM
Thanks everyone. Gone with an FX chip with a GTX 770. Do 3D design and graphics on the PC so went with 16GB Ram in the end just to be sure. Will be using my old Windows 7.

Again, thanks for all the advice. Can't wait for the bits to start arriving. Woohoo!

Rocky
05-15-2014, 05:15 PM
Thanks everyone. Gone with an FX chip with a GTX 770. Do 3D design and graphics on the PC so went with 16GB Ram in the end just to be sure. Will be using my old Windows 7.

Again, thanks for all the advice. Can't wait for the bits to start arriving. Woohoo!

very smart then, the extra GB will be needed... good setup

hopefully you are running the OS on a SSD right? at least big enough for software and then backup everything else on a SATA-1TB
imo corsair is the best brand for memory...little more $ but it will last longer then anything else in your computer

Bert_E
05-15-2014, 05:19 PM
very smart then, the extra GB will be needed... good setup

hopefully you are running the OS on a SSD right? at least big enough for software and then backup everything else on a SATA-1TB
imo corsair is the best brand for memory...little more $ but it will last longer then anything else in your computer

Yep! Didn't have to buy a HD so putting the money on an SSD. Getting excited now. Been looking at all the cool games that are coming out soon (The Forest etc) and getting Watch_Dogs with the GTX so, I may go missing for a few days when this all comes together. Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

LimeyRon
05-15-2014, 06:22 PM
Yep! Didn't have to buy a HD so putting the money on an SSD. Getting excited now. Been looking at all the cool games that are coming out soon (The Forest etc) and getting Watch_Dogs with the GTX so, I may go missing for a few days when this all comes together. Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

From very recent experience, it's every bit as exciting as you expect it to be :D

Happy to be useful. Good luck :encouragement:

EDIT: Almost forgot to ask, what variant of the GTX770 are you going for?

Bert_E
05-15-2014, 07:13 PM
From very recent experience, it's every bit as exciting as you expect it to be :D

Happy to be useful. Good luck :encouragement:

EDIT: Almost forgot to ask, what variant of the GTX770 are you going for?

This one:
Asus GTX 770 Nvidia GeForce DirectCU II OC 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card (PCI Express 3.0, HDMI, DVI-I, DVI-D, Display Port, 256 Bit, 3D Vision Ready, GPU Boost 2.0)
Had good reviews and was in the right price range for me.
Cheers!

LimeyRon
05-15-2014, 08:19 PM
This one:
Asus GTX 770 Nvidia GeForce DirectCU II OC 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card (PCI Express 3.0, HDMI, DVI-I, DVI-D, Display Port, 256 Bit, 3D Vision Ready, GPU Boost 2.0)
Had good reviews and was in the right price range for me.
Cheers!

Nice. I hope the two of you will be very happy together :D

Fox
05-15-2014, 09:00 PM
"The Forest" seems way too good to be true... a tiny price tag for what seems to be a really intense survival game with good graphics. I know I'm holding off on it till it's completed or have a lot of great early access reviews.

And if you were thinking about getting Rust or DayZ... don't even bother with them as they're just terrible games which aren't even getting any more big updates. The main dev for DayZ walked away from it... claiming to be a grenade or some stupid thing which the nerds at Polaris made fun of.

Bert_E
05-15-2014, 09:06 PM
Yeah, The Forest looks amazing. I hope they can pull it off. That and Kingdom Come are on my wishlist. No interested in DayZ or Rust to be honest. 7DTD hooked me and I'm more than happy with it and watching it evolve.

Boldero
05-15-2014, 09:27 PM
Fox has hit the nail on the head, dayz and rust are resting on their laurels, the forest 'looks' good, but the proof will be in the pudding, whereas 7d2d we are half way through the pudding and loving it :)

grimreefer24601
05-16-2014, 05:14 AM
I love my i7, but I concern myself more with what a mobo can do that brand of processor. I'm absolutely no fanboy of anything. I look at what I can add to a mother board, and build from there.

Spec wise, everything I've seen says Intel still has AMD beat.

I still stand behind build by your mother board. Find one with good expansions, pcie slots, memory caps, sata and usb hubs a plenty. The argument of AMD vs Intel is really lees important than what your mother board can do. In my opinion.

Bert_E
05-16-2014, 05:53 PM
Thanks folks. Got my bits ordered. How do I go about getting this thread closed. Cheers for all your help and advice.

Fox
05-16-2014, 06:01 PM
How do I go about getting this thread closed.
Just ask ;)