PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics Farming is stupid hard to manage now...

Drakkar77
08-19-2014, 06:03 AM
I'm not even sure which are bugs are which are intended but farming is completely unfun in A9 now. At least A8 was managable, but this is just too much and here is why.

Never mind the exploding dirt blocks I'm talking about how hard it is to keep dirt tilled and grass free, EVEN with water within 2 blocks.

1) Grass and tall grass grow WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to fast.

2) You can't even get close enough to place a plant without making the soil become untilled again!

2a) Tilled ground should needs to not be trampled from walking on it. I know it's sorta realistic but it's not fun at all how easy it is to trample the dirt and with all the other issues it takes literally a half hour to plant anything even medium size. Also it's possible to work in an area and not walk on the spot you want to plant in.

2b) Plants should not be destroyed by walking on them, again realism completely ruins the fun of this. It's also very possible to in real life to very near a plant and not step on it, I know I garden.

3) Plants uproot themselves at least a 1/4th of the time even if you make sure the ground is tilled after you plant them by using the hoe on it again.

ricslady99
08-19-2014, 06:13 AM
The grass does grow way too fast. It's almost instant.

I've wished for some time they would do away with the exploding plants. Have them revert to an earlier stage rather than poof. In 8.8 you could recover some plants if you dropped them in the wrong spot but now they just go poof.

Madahari
08-19-2014, 06:21 AM
I have a couple small gardens, one on a double row of dirt placed in the water and another on rows of dirt in the grass with water in between. I've never experienced any of the issues you've mentioned besides destroying the plant by walking on it, which hasn't changed from previous versions other than sprouts don't drop.

I was expecting grass to grow crazily on placed dirt, but nope, I was able to hoe and plant seeds like before. In fact there was less un-hoeing causing planting to fail.

The only issue I'm having is that the potatoes grow slowly but I'll get two or three a day out of maybe twenty, but the corn, one every few days. That's real life days. I got one corn today.

grrantu
08-19-2014, 06:35 AM
I got a blueberry after 9 game days. Had to ration it...

Drakkar77
08-19-2014, 03:57 PM
I have a couple small gardens, one on a double row of dirt placed in the water and another on rows of dirt in the grass with water in between. I've never experienced any of the issues you've mentioned besides destroying the plant by walking on it, which hasn't changed from previous versions other than sprouts don't drop.

I was expecting grass to grow crazily on placed dirt, but nope, I was able to hoe and plant seeds like before. In fact there was less un-hoeing causing planting to fail.

The only issue I'm having is that the potatoes grow slowly but I'll get two or three a day out of maybe twenty, but the corn, one every few days. That's real life days. I got one corn today.

Are you planting on dirt that was placed on top of a block that's not dirt? If so then I agree. Now try making a farm on a test world, on nothing but a dirt area, turn off mobs and find an area that is either surrounded by water so rabbit and stag and pigs can't trample it or fence it off. Now without using god mode, try making a trench for water to go in, and then try hoeing that area and seeding 2 blocks around the dirt like we are suppose to be able to do. This is what I did and it was nothing but annoying to say the least.

Making a farm on a roof some place where the under block is square blocks seems to be about as easy as it should be, roughly. Still everything breaks too easy at the slightest touch, it's just unnatural...

Kenny_66
08-19-2014, 04:06 PM
I agree that farming is worse. You have almost no time between hoeing the dirt and planting the seed before the dirt reverts back, then you lose the seed. It's very annoying.

I know we're in Alpha so I'll hold off on talking about the food available for farming. There isn't a whole lot you can do with the corn, blueberries, and potatoes just yet.

CongoBongo
08-19-2014, 06:41 PM
i dont see the problem really. I have 2 farms since like day 3 and have had no issue at all. The drit stays tilled until i plant the seed. it only reverts to grass once i step on it. So here is how i built my farm...

11x11 room with 1 pillar in the middle, and water all around that pillar.
then you place dirt from the water in the middle to 3 out from there. so you have 1 pillar, 1 layer of water all around that, and 3 layer of dirt around that.
then you place 1 layer of water all around the whole edge.
then place half blocks on top of that water so you can stand on the ledge and farm.

From this ledge you can till and plant all 3 layers, never stepping on the dirt or the water.

This farm works 100% of the time and can be underground with 4 light holes. If you want more info let me know i can show you full proof farms :D

DocHussey
08-20-2014, 02:55 PM
Crops and farming in general are getting a serious over haul at some point.

Gilthanaz
08-20-2014, 05:45 PM
Ohhh that is great to hear - i like to be the farmer of the group and keep an eye on some nice fields, growin' us the things and stuffs. *ptoi*

Hope there is also more plants coming! And way more recipes to cook! :D

CongoBongo
08-20-2014, 05:58 PM
I am sure there will be, if A9 proved anything it is that they listen to the forums and us alpha testers and... they know how to drastically change the game in one patch.

The next major patch (after they fix the 9 bugs) will be just as jaw dropping i thinks. Especially if they touch on farming. I would assume they could introduce any kind of growable resource that they wanted, maybe even animals :D

I read one post by a player who wanted farm animals and he said you would have to have a certain amount of fenced in property for a particular animal as well as hay bails etc... would be cool i think. Gotta expand the ole pig pen again, cant get enough of that bacon :D

ValynHernalth
08-20-2014, 09:14 PM
2a) Tilled ground should needs to not be trampled from walking on it. I know it's sorta realistic but it's not fun at all how easy it is to trample the dirt and with all the other issues it takes literally a half hour to plant anything even medium size. Also it's possible to work in an area and not walk on the spot you want to plant in.

even in RL if you walk on tilled ground it will not ruin the dirt, just compacts is a little. you have to stomp on the dirt in RL to make it unplantable.

I hate to say it but take a note from minecraft: allow walking on it but not jumping.
I agree plants should not be destroyed when touched. There are times i have been in the trench of water next to the plant (one block in the water is under the plant) and it died because i got too close.

- - - Updated - - -

I am sure there will be, if A9 proved anything it is that they listen to the forums and us alpha testers and... they know how to drastically change the game in one patch.

The next major patch (after they fix the 9 bugs) will be just as jaw dropping i thinks. Especially if they touch on farming. I would assume they could introduce any kind of growable resource that they wanted, maybe even animals :D

I read one post by a player who wanted farm animals and he said you would have to have a certain amount of fenced in property for a particular animal as well as hay bails etc... would be cool i think. Gotta expand the ole pig pen again, cant get enough of that bacon :D

I am crossing my fingers to see them allow growing of animals so that we can farm feathers and eggs, Deer, Pork

Thoranius
08-22-2014, 05:47 AM
I remember the time I ate chili next to my farm and half the plants died. Serves me right for not leaving breeze gaps on the side fences.

Drakkar77
08-22-2014, 06:07 AM
Now If I could only get torches to not cause fps lag for me... I could put them all around my farm to keep zombies from spawning near it and walking all over my crops...

- - - Updated - - -

i dont see the problem really. I have 2 farms since like day 3 and have had no issue at all. The drit stays tilled until i plant the seed. it only reverts to grass once i step on it. So here is how i built my farm...

11x11 room with 1 pillar in the middle, and water all around that pillar.
then you place dirt from the water in the middle to 3 out from there. so you have 1 pillar, 1 layer of water all around that, and 3 layer of dirt around that.
then you place 1 layer of water all around the whole edge.
then place half blocks on top of that water so you can stand on the ledge and farm.

From this ledge you can till and plant all 3 layers, never stepping on the dirt or the water.

This farm works 100% of the time and can be underground with 4 light holes. If you want more info let me know i can show you full proof farms :D
I didn't do something exactly like this but tried half blocks on the water(idk why I forgot this trick from minecraft) it seems even being in the center of the block sometimes I still trample a plants and destroy them. On the plus side I don't seem to stamp on dirt anymore.