PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics 9.1: Insane Zombie Spawning

Kalex
08-23-2014, 02:46 AM
We have zombie spawn setting the same as we had it at in 9.0, but we are seeing 2-3 times the number of zombies spawn in and they are respawning faster than the bodies of the dead ones are despawning. You can't do much of anything other than continually pop off zombies. It's like a neverending horde.

Kheirozen
08-23-2014, 03:35 AM
What's your spawning set to ? Very High ?

Kalex
08-23-2014, 04:10 AM
75% exactly the same as it was in 9.0. The settings haven't changed, we shouldn't be seeing such a drastic increase in spawning.

Others in Steam are reporting the same issue.

obsidienne
08-23-2014, 04:55 AM
spawn setting seems to have something wrong, zombiewise ... I use to play low settings, but it's really harsh

nitnoid
08-23-2014, 04:57 AM
I'm at low setting and I've noticed this as well. I'm fairly close to a wasteland border so I was thinking this might be why. Decided to move a little further inland to find out for sure.

LeastConcern
08-23-2014, 05:04 AM
I can confirm this - for wasteland anyway - using medium spawn - I had to finally retreat because it just wasn't letting up. It's not so bad in the forest biome, but still it's more than in 9.0

FuNiOnZ
08-23-2014, 05:19 AM
Base setup in the forest biome, equally bad here, watching the console it seems like the spawner is too aggressive and is replacing the random zombies as soon as one is dispatched a replacement is immediately spawned in. Went through 200~ bolts in under 10 minutes

Drakkar77
08-23-2014, 08:15 AM
Confirmed. On medium settings in several biomes, it doesn't matter where you are or how many you kill they respawn in just a few seconds.

This is not something I'll tolerate. I'm not playing until this is fixed...

Grotto19
08-23-2014, 09:43 AM
I noticed it too, but it isn’t making me as upset as others. They are slow during the day, just run for like 5 seconds and crouch. They won’t know where you are and you can carry on doing whatever you were doing.

Now if you’re playing on always run, well then I guess you’re screwed.

Nverjos
08-23-2014, 01:21 PM
The entity spawners were set to 30 seconds in 9.1. You can fix this yourself with Grim's UAE in the models_8 file or download this one that I fixed for myself that sets the spawners to 300 seconds (5 minutes)

Download models_8.txt (https://www.dropbox.com/s/ad40osn4gp5sgoq/models_8.txt?dl=0)

Installation:
1. Download Grim's UAE (http://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?5030-Grim-s-Unity-Asset-Editor&highlight=unity+asset+editor)
2. Open resources.assets with UAE (make sure to back up the original)
3. Find Models_8 in the available list
4. Right-Click, import, choose the downloaded models_8.txt
5. Save the resources.assets file

-Nver-

Tildja
08-23-2014, 01:27 PM
I just got 10 zombies spawning around me in a forest on the settings low and easy..

RF951
08-23-2014, 01:40 PM
180 kills at the end of day 2. 5 stacks of honey. On low spawning. They just keep coming....

Also, I died when I initially spawned into a group of hornets and dogs to start the game. Re-spawned right back in the same spot and well, I think you can guess the rest.

Zourin
08-23-2014, 01:47 PM
180 kills at the end of day 2. 5 stacks of honey. On low spawning. They just keep coming....

Also, I died when I initially spawned into a group of hornets and dogs to start the game. Re-spawned right back in the same spot and well, I think you can guess the rest.

I fired up real quick on a break at work.. that was.. an interesting experience being spawned and having nothing but non-stop zombies.

I had about 30 kills within about five minutes. Not only are they spawning faster, but they're bee-lining for you.

Taurox
08-23-2014, 02:10 PM
This is also happening to me. I have very little desire to play the game in this state.

Thanks for the fix Nverjos. I am curious what the setting was before in 9.0.

Nverjos
08-23-2014, 02:26 PM
This is also happening to me. I have very little desire to play the game in this state.

Thanks for the fix Nverjos. I am curious what the setting was before in 9.0.

They were between 1200 and 2400 seconds in 9.0 (10 to 20 minutes) with cities (diersville, gravetown) being 200 seconds

-Nver-

Aywren
08-23-2014, 02:47 PM
Confirming that we've seen this on our server, too. We have our zombie settings on low, and it's been insane since the patch. Constantly having to fend them off of our base, and having them respawn again right after. Not only do they come in numbers, but they are aggressive almost all the time, even in day.

Also, they may not be respecting the Sleeping Bag radius!

We're setting up in one of the prefab churches and creating defenses around it. Several times, zombies have spawned on top of the church, even with 4 sleeping bags sitting inside. We've picked the bags up and put them down just to refresh our spawn location, but they're still spawning wherever they like.

obsidienne
08-23-2014, 02:51 PM
The entity spawners were set to 30 seconds in 9.1. You can fix this yourself with Grim's UAE in the models_8 file or download this one that I fixed for myself that sets the spawners to 300 seconds (5 minutes)

Download models_8.txt (https://www.dropbox.com/s/ad40osn4gp5sgoq/models_8.txt?dl=0)

Installation:
1. Download Grim's UAE (http://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?5030-Grim-s-Unity-Asset-Editor&highlight=unity+asset+editor)

-Nver-

Thx Nver, good trick !

cnconrad
08-23-2014, 03:19 PM
I haven't seen this. Zombie spawns are up 25% or so.

Exactly like the patch notes.

Taurox
08-23-2014, 05:02 PM
They were between 1200 and 2400 seconds in 9.0 (10 to 20 minutes) with cities (diersville, gravetown) being 200 seconds

-Nver-

Do you by any chance have the models_8.txt from that version? I would like to adjust the numbers but I think even 5 minutes will annoy me. I am thinking maybe half of what they had. 1200 and 2400 is 20 minutes and 40 minutes. I would like to try out 600 and 1200 which would be 10 to 20 minutes.

Who on earth decided to make such a drastic change 20-40 minutes down to 30 seconds?

Thanks again

Drakkar77
08-23-2014, 05:07 PM
Do you by any chance have the models_8.txt from that version? I would like to adjust the numbers but I think even 5 minutes will annoy me. I am thinking maybe half of what they had. 1200 and 2400 is 20 minutes and 40 minutes. I would like to try out 600 and 1200 which would be 10 to 20 minutes.

Who on earth decided to make such a drastic change 20-40 minutes down to 30 seconds?

Thanks again

It's the same thing with game devs in all games I've played, see an issue, like for example: fly on drywall - nail it with a sledgehammer. Sure, it kills the fly but then you have a huge hole that you have to deal with. I wonder if it's their motto: Why do a small change when a huge one works. Or to use the fly analogy, why use a fly swatter when a sledgehammer works just fine.

Nverjos
08-23-2014, 05:19 PM

Thanks again

Alpha 9.0 models_8 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/adgi9mmcpgn1n7t/9_0_models_8.txt?dl=0) - Hope this helps

Don't know how I added those numbers to 10 and 20 minutes... now I feel silly.

-Nver-

Nverjos
08-23-2014, 05:42 PM
The time to edit a reply doesn't last very long...

Ran with the halved time mentioned by Taurox for 10-20 minute spawners.

9.1 Models_8 with 10-20 minute spawners (https://www.dropbox.com/s/ad40osn4gp5sgoq/models_8.txt?dl=0)

-Nver-

Taurox
08-23-2014, 06:00 PM

9.1 Models_8 with 10-20 minute spawners (https://www.dropbox.com/s/ad40osn4gp5sgoq/models_8.txt?dl=0)

-Nver-

You are awesome. Thank you so much.

nitnoid
08-23-2014, 06:03 PM
Since they're playing with zombie spawns, they might be experimenting with spawn rates as well. Possibly to tweak the optimum spawn rate. Sometimes you gotta start with the sledge and work your way up to a feather duster...

Drakkar77
08-23-2014, 06:39 PM
Since they're playing with zombie spawns, they might be experimenting with spawn rates as well. Possibly to tweak the optimum spawn rate. Sometimes you gotta start with the sledge and work your way up to a feather duster...

Perhaps, but imo this is game breaking. It pisses me off so much that if I want the game playable I have to edit the programing as per the last few posts. I'm still too angry right now too do it, maybe later. If it was just a bug that would be one thing but for a spawn point to have a 30 second respawn?

This isn't Minecraft mobs here can break everything you build really easily, with this respawn rate there's no time to do anything but kill zombies...No time to craft or build or anything else. Sure you can hide but it will be no time before one of them "wonders" over too near enough to hear you opening a chest then the area you are in will be attacked again, and you'll have to kill them just to get keep them from destroying the base around you.

nitnoid
08-23-2014, 07:08 PM
Perhaps, but imo this is game breaking. It pisses me off so much that if I want the game playable I have to edit the programing as per the last few posts. I'm still too angry right now too do it, maybe later. If it was just a bug that would be one thing but for a spawn point to have a 30 second respawn?

This isn't Minecraft mobs here can break everything you build really easily, with this respawn rate there's no time to do anything but kill zombies...No time to craft or build or anything else. Sure you can hide but it will be no time before one of them "wonders" over too near enough to hear you opening a chest then the area you are in will be attacked again, and you'll have to kill them just to get keep them from destroying the base around you.
Have you tried Very Low spawn rate? Also, why not turn off z spawns while building and when done, turn them back on?

Drakkar77
08-23-2014, 07:31 PM
I don't think changing the spawn rate matters right now. Why not just turn zombies off all together? I'm not serious, but I hope you see my point there.

h0tr0d
08-23-2014, 07:32 PM
Could be intended, supposed to be zombie survival not minecraft mwhahahaha.

Drakkar77
08-23-2014, 07:43 PM
I believe it is intended, but it doesn't matter if it is or not. It's not fun for me like that and I'm not playing a game that's not fun.

Kalex
08-23-2014, 08:17 PM
Unfortunately, we are on a rented server and don't have access to be able to patch those files. I guess we won't be playing on our dedi until this issue gets fixed.

PAL-18
08-23-2014, 08:49 PM

Installation:

-Nver-

Will that work on servers? (ie so only the server applies it but clients dont have to)

Roland
08-23-2014, 09:22 PM

Its definitely a game changer. Personally I like it. Remember that we are faster than the zombies so as long as you keep an eye out you can still get things done. Just have to keep moving like in classic survival horror games. Killing strategic targets rather than trying to kill ALL the targets is necessary now.

If it was a mistake (someone forgot a zero or two) then I hope they bring it in as a new mode called "Survival Horror Classic". It is frantic, urgent, and tons of fun as a different experience than how I used to play the game. I agree though that if you are trying to cling to the old tactic of clearing out ALL zombies in the area BEFORE doing stuff like looting, building, mining, etc. it is going to drive you bonkers...lol

LarsingeM
08-23-2014, 10:02 PM
I fired up real quick on a break at work.. that was.. an interesting experience being spawned and having nothing but non-stop zombies.

I had about 30 kills within about five minutes. Not only are they spawning faster, but they're bee-lining for you.

Also noticed in alpha 9, setting up camp in a cabin there was a single zombie speedwalking straight for the cabin like every five minutes. This was even if im not inside of the building. I kind of liked the zombie spawning in alpha 9 cause you could clear out all the zombies and get a moments peace for making improvements and building. Considering im playing in single player as well and dont have anyone to keep guard at all times at least the very low spawning option should have a manageable amount of zombies. Right now it does look a bit hard to clear out zombies from an area in low spawn and likely impossible in anything harder. Have not had a chance to test it out a lot yet tho.

oddfish
08-23-2014, 11:19 PM
Could be intended, supposed to be zombie survival not minecraft mwhahahaha.

Almost got it there.

It's a "Survival Horde Crafting" game. Survival being 1/3 of the total.

For people wanting an arcade zombie shooter with a constant onslaught of zombies, there are several options out there to choose from.

Just sayin' :biggrin-new:

Drakkar77
08-23-2014, 11:59 PM
Its definitely a game changer. Personally I like it. Remember that we are faster than the zombies so as long as you keep an eye out you can still get things done. Just have to keep moving like in classic survival horror games. Killing strategic targets rather than trying to kill ALL the targets is necessary now.

If it was a mistake (someone forgot a zero or two) then I hope they bring it in as a new mode called "Survival Horror Classic". It is frantic, urgent, and tons of fun as a different experience than how I used to play the game. I agree though that if you are trying to cling to the old tactic of clearing out ALL zombies in the area BEFORE doing stuff like looting, building, mining, etc. it is going to drive you bonkers...lol

This would be possible if killing a zombie didn't alert other zombies in a wide area around them. You MIGHT be able to do this in an area that's not the city but there is no way you could do this in central city. You'd get swarmed from killing just one.

jaif
08-24-2014, 12:02 AM
This is an alpha, so I respect that they are trying different things. Having said that, I really don't like this spawn rate. I especially don't like them re-spawning so close to me. I should be able to clear an area and not see zombies materialize out of thin air a moment later; it breaks immersion and really feels more like a tower defense/shooter than a survival game.

Personally I think the respawn rate should be low (like half-a-day), and very far away, so that areas I've swept and abandoned refill after a while. I liked the old horde system better, though I think that needed tweaking as well.

This is too much right now. It feels more like work than anything else.

-Jeff

nitnoid
08-24-2014, 12:27 AM
I started a new game with 9.1. Figured I'd build close to the wasteland so I did. And was overrun by z's every time I turned around. I think I was getting spawns from both the wasteland and forest at the same time. Once I moved inland, it was very manageable and no cops. No dogs yet either come to think of it. I'm able to deal with it better, hence, I'm liking it much better now.

PAL-18
08-24-2014, 12:39 AM
I think the change might be on purpose and permanent because the game is called "7 Days to Die" ...

Roland
08-24-2014, 01:28 AM
This would be possible if killing a zombie didn't alert other zombies in a wide area around them. You MIGHT be able to do this in an area that's not the city but there is no way you could do this in central city. You'd get swarmed from killing just one.

Not only possible but duplicated several times. It is definitely easier in the wild and the smaller POI's but it is also possible in the city. You have to run and avoid killing except only when necessary. They walk indoors now so you can use stairwells and doors to get out of their line of sight. You do get surrounded by zombies banging on the walls and a few might get in but they walk. You usually only need to kill enough to make a gap to run through to get away. Leading them away from your target building first buys you time.

It really is a good time. It amazes me how such a small change can totally change the flow of the game and make the zombies a larger threat. Larger hordes are not necessary....just a near constant stream of them to force us to run and avoid at least as much as gunning them down.

zedslayer
08-24-2014, 01:33 AM
If I wanted to play a game that all I did was run around and kill zombies, I have plenty of other games like that. Dead Island 1 and 2, State of Decay, The Dead Linger just to name a few. That is pretty much all you do in those games run around and kill. This game was suppose to be different, crafting survival building not just killing zeds. It use to be all that now it is starting to feel like the other games cause you just don't seem to have much time to do anything else. They take away the magic radar and in the next update you throw an endless amount of zombies at us at a none stop pace.

I am not saying its hard in 8 days I killed like 1000 zeds and have not died and I was first spawned into the game in the burnt forest. Its not hard its just annoying to have to stop every few seconds to kill more zeds. I have loved this game from A4 but if it stays like it is its going to get boring fast for me.

I know the last update the respawns where a little to far apart but to go from that to this a none stop spawn rate. It is a little to much and this game went from a sand box to an arcade shooter. If the change is on purpose they need to add a spawn rate option so we can decide how often they keep spawning after clearing an area. So everybody can play the game the way they want to play and not be forced to play the hardcore way madmole wants people to play.

Grotto19
08-24-2014, 01:34 AM
I remember just a few days ago listening to everyone complain “where the hell are the zombies” and “this game is boring, I killed the zombies and like never see anymore”. I guess they can’t please everyone. Well perhaps they can if they add another option in game setup for zombie re-spawn rate. I do find the current timer a bit too fast but the old 10-20 min was way too long. And since different people have different feelings on how much it should be I think a setup option to adjust the spawn timer makes sense.

Drakkar77
08-24-2014, 01:36 AM
I looked at the models_8 in resources.assets and every single biome is setup to respawn in 30 seconds. I don't see how this can be a bug, it must be intentional. Idk about you guys but for me this is NOT fun! It's too close to what zombie movies are like to be fun.

Drakkar77
08-24-2014, 01:45 AM
Not only possible but duplicated several times. It is definitely easier in the wild and the smaller POI's but it is also possible in the city. You have to run and avoid killing except only when necessary. They walk indoors now so you can use stairwells and doors to get out of their line of sight. You do get surrounded by zombies banging on the walls and a few might get in but they walk. You usually only need to kill enough to make a gap to run through to get away. Leading them away from your target building first buys you time.

It really is a good time. It amazes me how such a small change can totally change the flow of the game and make the zombies a larger threat. Larger hordes are not necessary....just a near constant stream of them to force us to run and avoid at least as much as gunning them down.

I'm talking about around your base not some looting spree where you base isn't within the city. That's what the conversation was about. If you're trying to defend your base then killing even one zombie will call them all. Since they respawn in 30 seconds it'll be endless = not fun.

Just looting and having to avoid the zombies is fun, and I've done this lots of times but only if my base isn't within the city. If there was some way to keep them from breaking anything and everything then a city base would be a blast and loads of fun with this change.

Honestly I don't get the whole zombies can break anything with bear hands. Even for the undead if they have super strength their bodies are decaying and would not be able break concrete or metal so easily.

zedslayer
08-24-2014, 01:58 AM
I find the single zed spawns act just like the hoards do now in this update. I have moved around and sat and watched and it seems the single zeds spawn and gps right to the location you where in at the time they spawned they seem to act just like the hoard. Now they did not do that in the last update they would spawn in and just mill around or chase animals if they got close. But now they seem to gps right for your location, if that really is the case then stealth is useless at this point. I watched them do this over and over again and I had no food or anything on me. So if you are working on a base they will just keep spawning and coming towards you no matter what you do.

japsmaps
08-24-2014, 02:10 AM

-Nver-

Thanks a lot Nver!

Drifter
08-24-2014, 04:12 AM
The problem with saying "its supposed to be hard" is that it isn't. There are never enough zombies for me to have a real fight on my hands, just enough to be annoying.

Its terribly immersion breaking as well when zombies are just popping into existence close to me. No they don't do it right in front of me but it happens in such a way that there is no way new zombies just wandered up that fast and without me seeing them coming.

I want a challenge but this isn't it. Id much rather have large waves of zombies enter the area that are a tough fight to remove but stay dead once dealt with.

grimreefer24601
08-24-2014, 06:59 AM
Annoying, is the best I can call 9.1 spawning. I gave up after spending a whole day running around me safe house killing zeds. Literally 30 seconds after I cleared an area it hads Z's again.

I'm now using a modified models_8 and playing happily. Oh, with a modified models_3 to show zombies on the map, since sound location doesn't work very well.

Con Agni
08-24-2014, 01:11 PM
Annoying, is the best I can call 9.1 spawning. I gave up after spending a whole day running around me safe house killing zeds. Literally 30 seconds after I cleared an area it hads Z's again.

I'm now using a modified models_8 and playing happily. Oh, with a modified models_3 to show zombies on the map, since sound location doesn't work very well.

@ - Grim can you todd me script or link wehre can i find/put the proper "thing" to the mod_3 "Z" on the map aspect on plz?

LarsingeM
08-24-2014, 01:58 PM
Even very low zombie spawning is quite hopeless. At every given time there is at least three zombies in your immediate precense. I like to play in single player so being able to clear an area if im planning to build is kind of crucial. In single player the alpha 9 setting were pretty good. You get time to work between waves of hordes, not having to pop out every three minutes to take out a zombie beating on your wall.

zedslayer
08-24-2014, 06:36 PM

-Nver-

Thank you for this. It seems to be working as intended, it has more zed spawns then 9.0 and is way better than 9.1. This is a perfect setting for me so far.

It took me a little to understand grimms uae it was the first time I used it to mod the game but this change was needed. I was able to get it working and its great so again thank you for the edited file.

LarsingeM
08-27-2014, 07:08 PM
I hope and believe there is some work in progress when it comes to the zombie spawning since constant spawning right near your character in a neverending amount cant be on pupose. Hordes i get, and times where there are more zombies coming in then others in general, just not like this.
If you`re in multiplayer you might do okay even like this i guess but in single players its extreme spawning even on very low spawn setting. If someone want to be swarmed by zombies constantly that should of course be an option as well.. on higher difficulty. As i am playing mostly on single player it is impossible to clear even my immediate surroundings on very low spawn rate. Also tried in very high spawning.. to be honest it didnt really feel like a huge difference (anything other than hordes coming a lot more frequent) from very low which to me sems odd. Difficulty should apply to the whole spawning, not just hordes.

Would be nice to be at all able to use an above-ground base. Can of course make a completely safe underround base at this time. Just wish there were more options for bases having this wonderful random gen world to play around with:)

Mikeforall
09-01-2014, 03:14 PM
If only zombies wouldn't spawn within claimed area's, the problem would already be partly solved...

Con Agni
09-01-2014, 04:47 PM
True, i w8 play till this thing is solved.

PAL-18
09-10-2014, 03:00 AM
In 9.3 models_8 is now all gibberish. Any idea's how to change the spawn rates?