PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer Internet network IP reverts to external network IP when selected in server browser

Repute
08-23-2014, 12:27 PM
When selecting a server on the local network, the external (internet) IP address is what 7DTD attempts to connect to. When manually entering and saving a server in your favorites from the local network, it immediately uses the external IP address to connect to.

This was not the case until the 9.1 update.

This is an issue for two specific groups:
1. Those who do not have port forwarding setup on their router and would only like to connect to a server on their LAN without typing in the IP address each time they connect.
2. Those who do run a server on their LAN who intend on playing on the server while allowing those outside of their LAN to connect. This is specifically an issue for the many people who have certain ISPs that do not allow you to connect to your own external IP address (or DDNS pointed at your external IP address). Comcast/Xfinity currently blocks these types of connections along with other ISPs.

To reproduce:
1. Start a 7DTD dedicated server on a computer on your network other than the one you use to play 7DTD
2. On the computer you play 7DTD on, navigate to the server browser
3. Manually enter the LOCAL IP and port of your server at the bottom, click "Save Favorite"
4. Click on the "Favorites" button at the top of the screen, next to "Refresh"
5. Click on your server in the list

You'll now notice that your external IP address now appears at the bottom in the field "Connect to Server IP:" and if you attempt connecting to the server, it will now direct you to your external IP address.

Wezz
08-23-2014, 09:02 PM
Oh noo! This may prevent me from testing 9.1 when I get home =(. Since I can't connect to my external IP. Didn't know thought, that it is because me ISP.

Repute
08-23-2014, 09:23 PM
Oh noo! This may prevent me from testing 9.1 when I get home =(. Since I can't connect to my external IP. Didn't know thought, that it is because me ISP.

This won't prevent you from playing, it's just a hassle to type in your IP each time you want to connect. It would be great if they would add a "Local" or "LAN" tab in addition to the "All" and "Favorites" tabs already available.

goof
08-26-2014, 11:45 PM
Yes. This happens. Also, it sucks... Fix needed!!!!!

p.s. -internet +internal @ topic?

Diotom
08-27-2014, 01:36 PM
Confirmed and additionnally playing with hamachi between friends and storing Favorite server with internal ip not storing the interal but the external IP.

Temporary Solution : each time replace external IP to internal manually before connecting.

Bug was not existing previous to 9.1 (working fine in 8.X and 9.0)