PDA

View Full Version : What is your Zombie Apocalypse plan?

Stignos
11-04-2013, 01:20 AM
Hey everybody!

I have noticed we do not have the mandatory thread where we all talk about what we would do in the case of a zombie crisis situation, so I am making it!

This includes steps you have taken to make you prepared for this scenario like water and canned food storing, weapons and survival kits, how you would go about this specific situation and your goals on the long run.

I am living in China at the moment so when it comes to zombie numbers I am kinda screwed... My plan is to lay low as long as I can by barricading the entrance to my building and wait for most of the initial chaos to dissipate, then once its all quiet again go into action. It also depends on what type of zombies I will have to deal with... here is wishing for George Romero zombies...

So, what is your plan?

Fox
11-04-2013, 01:40 AM
My plan would be to just take off on my ATV and go deep in the forest and build up from there with traps EVERYWHERE! Since I already have hunting and survival skills, I'd imagine I'd do just fine.

Apoc21
11-04-2013, 02:59 AM
so you would take off with nothing but your atv... then died shortly after of dehydration and exposure.

Arkonik
11-04-2013, 03:42 AM
First off I'd make sure I had a women with me for repopulation.
Second I would run to the local walmart and use the welding equipment in the store to cut the shopping carts up and weld them to the front glass frames of the store. Seal off every exit and have only a ladder on the side of the building as the only way in.

I would use store shelve plates to use against the front entrance and doors as well.

Set me up a tent and get a near by truck and head to the local lowes lumber 1 block up and grab some freezers and a lot of lumber and tools to helo fortify the store and wait it out in walmart.

Would also rig up some vehicles and trucks with plates and shopping cart frames along the windows cutting a door in the roof with hinges and locks.

All this is for starters.

Stignos
11-04-2013, 04:54 AM
Second I would run to the local walmart and use the welding equipment in the store to cut the shopping carts up and weld them to the front glass frames of the store. Seal off every exit and have only a ladder on the side of the building as the only way in.

I would use store shelve plates to use against the front entrance and doors as well.

Set me up a tent and get a near by truck and head to the local lowes lumber 1 block up and grab some freezers and a lot of lumber and tools to helo fortify the store and wait it out in walmart.

Would also rig up some vehicles and trucks with plates and shopping cart frames along the windows cutting a door in the roof with hinges and locks.

That whole "Id make sure I had a women" thing sounds very rapey man... very rapey....
And I only see a problem with your idea, you might be able to make the place zombie proof, but you are in a prime and very exposed location for looters and desperate people to want to get to, and they will probably do whatever they have to get in a get your supplies... looks like, at this point the living are your main problem.

rickbirth2
11-04-2013, 04:54 AM
I'd hunt down everyone I hated and make sure they got infected:fox:

Stignos
11-04-2013, 04:59 AM
I'd hunt down everyone I hated and make sure they got infected:fox:
Well that might keep you busy for some time but what would you actually do to survive up the point were you can become these poor souls worst nightmare?

Naghot Shaar
11-04-2013, 11:02 AM
First of all... which kind of Zombies we are talking about?
The lame, slow and easy to get around (or kill) zombies?
Or do you guys think of those ugly, running fast Zombies like in 28 Days?
Or another kind? something even uglier like superspeed zombies?
or someone where even a cut off hand is still alive?
Zombie animals yes or no?
etc. just if we have a maximum of informations we can get a clear plan.
I have some ideas but would need to confirm some informations about the kind of zombies i have to fight, to adjust my plans and upgrade my chance of survival.
But first of all: Rule number 1... Never leave home without a knife and a windproof-lighter (i love my Zippo :D)

Stignos
11-04-2013, 11:58 AM
First of all... which kind of Zombies we are talking about?
The lame, slow and easy to get around (or kill) zombies?
Or do you guys think of those ugly, running fast Zombies like in 28 Days?
Or another kind? something even uglier like superspeed zombies?
or someone where even a cut off hand is still alive?
Zombie animals yes or no?
etc. just if we have a maximum of informations we can get a clear plan.
I have some ideas but would need to confirm some informations about the kind of zombies i have to fight, to adjust my plans and upgrade my chance of survival.
But first of all: Rule number 1... Never leave home without a knife and a windproof-lighter (i love my Zippo :D)

My ideal zombie scenario and the one I propose to you is the following:

George romero zombies, no zombie animals, scratches can infect you, rules of bone mass and human body apply to them as normal (not like those zombies in the walking dead you could stab through their forehead like its jellow...)

And btw, sick day of the tentacle avatar!

xiiMaRcLeoN
11-04-2013, 12:20 PM
I Would go to the local police station since i am not living in a big town and wait for help or go to the nearby forrest with the food and water and go in one of the destroyed bunker and build defenses there and sneak to town for more water and weapons.

nytebyte
11-04-2013, 06:38 PM
The nearby middle school in my town is on a giant hill and looks like a prison from afar. Since I went there, I already know the majority of its layout. The entire third floor can be easily fortified, since all I have to worry about are three stairwells and the auditorium entrances. Plenty of desks to block those out completely.
--this is as far as I've actually planed--

For water, there is a large river nearby. It's an absolutely filthy cessriver, but I know how to purify water to a decent extent. Can't expect clean water when the rest of the world is nearly dead, anyways.

I'm hoping for food I can hunt for animals. The area is still pretty wooded, so the animals will probably reclaim it quickly. I could always eat people, assuming whatever's causing the zambomboes isn't like the walking dead where everyone is already infected by some absurdly contrived manner.

Alternatively, I could noclip into space.

Naghot Shaar
11-05-2013, 10:25 AM
And btw, sick day of the tentacle avatar!

Thx ;) i use it since years as my Avatar for nearly all Locations (TS,Skype,Forum,etc)

Im now short in time, but will come back with some Plans later today or tomorrow ;)

fox4562
11-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Me, i would join a group of 3 others, who were left for dead like i was, then run from safe spot to safe spot using guns, swords, and whatever else i can find along the way to get to a helicopter, a boat, plane, military vehicle, and/or a car in the center of a mall.

It's a no-fail plan if you ask me.

Stignos
11-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Me, i would join a group of 3 others, who were left for dead like i was, then run from safe spot to safe spot using guns, swords, and whatever else i can find along the way to get to a helicopter, a boat, plane, military vehicle, and/or a car in the center of a mall.

It's a no-fail plan if you ask me.

I see what you did there.... but in all seriousness, what would you do?

Berkan
11-05-2013, 01:22 PM
I would just kill myself lol.

fox4562
11-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Step one, grab a melee weapon and my bow and arrows, grab whatever food, medical supplies, and whatever else i can carry (duct tape, maybe some clothing). from there, travel onto other small towns looking for people who might have survived thanks to the lower population density. with all the woods around, finding food and clean water (clean as can be with corpses walking around anything) for boiling.

Berkan
11-05-2013, 01:32 PM
No point in thinking of a plan since it will never happen.

Stignos
11-05-2013, 01:37 PM
No point in thinking of a plan since it will never happen.

Why write in the thread at all then? Some of us like to think about these kind of situations and play around with ideas on the subject.

Berkan
11-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Why write in the thread at all then? Some of us like to think about these kind of situations and play around with ideas on the subject.

Ye I understand that but its just impossible.
And for me its really hard to think about it since its impossible.

fox4562
11-05-2013, 02:08 PM
actually, while highly unlikely, it isn't technically impossible. Look a rabies, it can cause people to lose their minds, even biting other people. It's not impossible for a faster working, more extreme version of the disease could cause very zombie-like symptoms. hell, let's not forget that bath salt indecent, so it is certainly possible to cause a human brain to get into such a state.

In conclusion, while far fetched, there are scenarios where it is technically possible.

sidfu
11-05-2013, 03:59 PM
while something zombie like can happen actualy zombies no. if anything probaly somethin glike The Last of Us could happen thou.

Dr Shrimp
11-05-2013, 05:12 PM
Assuming I'd be in my own house when the zombie apocolypse hits, I'll have a few disadvantages:
1. I live in a country with a very very strict weapon policy
2. I live in a very small village
3. Winter is coming very soon

All the items on this picture are items I already have, except for the gun.

http://imgur.com/P2MNZo2

1. Glasses
Putting in my lenses all the time would be too much trouble, I'll just wear my glasses.
2. Balaklava
Hides my face and keeps it warm
3. Camo winter jacket
Camouflage me obviously.
4. Sport pants
They tend to be warmer, I could wear 2 at the same time
5. Trusty old Timberlands
They fit me like a glove even though they've seen the best of days, I can only wear them at work now sadly.
6. Binoculars
My grandpa's old binoculars, I can observe towns and villages to make sure it's clear to enter.
7. Walther 5 pistol
Main police weapon in my country, assuming I can raid my local police station when the apocalypse hit I might obtain one.
8. Flashlight
It takes days before they run out, they're also very good for hitting.
9. Ammo
Well I need it to shoot things.
10. Beans and water
I'm hungry.
11. Smokes
The world is going to hell, might as well pick up an old bad habbit.
12. My dad's hummer.
Good for hitting zombies.
13. Gym bag
I have to go, my gym needs me.
14. S.T.A.L.K.E.R CoP theme
Just listen to it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0UAno0Fgd4

frizzerdk
11-05-2013, 06:22 PM
do like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4nlcmmt8X0

And just drive around and scavenge fuel and supplies, and maybe even build some sort of house on top.
Just make it comfortable and enjoy :P

WarlikeOaks
11-07-2013, 01:34 AM
I'd tell you, but then you'd try to attack me and take my supplies, and I'd have to drop a safe on your head. :hororr:

Stignos
11-07-2013, 01:49 AM
do like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4nlcmmt8X0

And just drive around and scavenge fuel and supplies, and maybe even build some sort of house on top.
Just make it comfortable and enjoy :P

That guy is my new hero, seriously that is a very well thought out plan. But his weakest link at the end was the engine and the game would go for anyone who tried this in the zombie apocalypse, the day you get your engine broken and can't get it fixed your done for!

Berkan
11-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Assuming I'd be in my own house when the zombie apocolypse hits, I'll have a few disadvantages:
1. I live in a country with a very very strict weapon policy
2. I live in a very small village
3. Winter is coming very soon

All the items on this picture are items I already have, except for the gun.

http://imgur.com/P2MNZo2

1. Glasses
Putting in my lenses all the time would be too much trouble, I'll just wear my glasses.
2. Balaklava
Hides my face and keeps it warm
3. Camo winter jacket
Camouflage me obviously.
4. Sport pants
They tend to be warmer, I could wear 2 at the same time
5. Trusty old Timberlands
They fit me like a glove even though they've seen the best of days, I can only wear them at work now sadly.
6. Binoculars
My grandpa's old binoculars, I can observe towns and villages to make sure it's clear to enter.
7. Walther 5 pistol
Main police weapon in my country, assuming I can raid my local police station when the apocalypse hit I might obtain one.
8. Flashlight
It takes days before they run out, they're also very good for hitting.
9. Ammo
Well I need it to shoot things.
10. Beans and water
I'm hungry.
11. Smokes
The world is going to hell, might as well pick up an old bad habbit.
12. My dad's hummer.
Good for hitting zombies.
13. Gym bag
I have to go, my gym needs me.
14. S.T.A.L.K.E.R CoP theme
Just listen to it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0UAno0Fgd4

Its like you REALLY prepared this lol.

Meatjuice
11-08-2013, 07:51 AM
I just want to become a zombie and eat you all!

Megatron
11-08-2013, 11:13 PM
I'm guessing defence plans would vary from region to region, e.g. most houses here in Ireland are made from stone and cement whereas many in the US (I'm basing this on films / TV, have never visited the States) are made of wood so I think they could be easier to breech?

Here it would be very difficult to gain access to firearms and even if you did then it would likely be a double barrelled shotgun, I think handguns are illegal here (even our police aren't armed for the most part) so melee would be the order of the day.

Safest bet would probably be to get out of the cities and make for the west coast, there are many islands there but you'd need to have good gear as you're exposed to the raw power of the Atlantic there.

javcar31
11-09-2013, 12:33 AM
I would stash food, water, and some guns then fill up the toilets and bathtubs (emergency water) and wait for a few weeks until everything has calmed down a bit, then i will go to either a hurricane proof house or a small island with houses then live there for 6 years (time i guess a zombie body may last) and go back to the civilization. ^_^

Stealth
11-09-2013, 12:43 AM
Go pvp.

lol, not really though :C

Stignos
11-09-2013, 03:22 AM
I just want to become a zombie and eat you all!

Bring it on Meatjuice! I have a few items that would look lovely lodged in your skull.

vanmill
03-24-2014, 07:15 AM
In our generation today, there are so many possibilities that might happen in the future just like what movies are trying to say to us. There are so many zombie movies that are in main attraction. The CDC is tasked with a large job. The agency is supposed to inform citizens of public health dangers. The CDC's official weblog on Monday, May 16, considered how to get ready for a zombie attack (http://www.matchfinancial.com/).

Teknotokon
03-25-2014, 01:17 AM
In our generation today, there are so many possibilities that might happen in the future just like what movies are trying to say to us. There are so many zombie movies that are in main attraction. The CDC is tasked with a large job. The agency is supposed to inform citizens of public health dangers. The CDC's official weblog on Monday, May 16, considered how to get ready for a zombie attack (http://www.matchfinancial.com/).

Really? bots have gotten creative lately

Dreadstone
03-25-2014, 01:56 AM
Zombies? Not likely? Attack on multiple sub-stations causing one of three grids (Texas, California, NE) to collapse? (While the other two would pick up the slack, there would be brownouts and other problems). Possible. Solar flare? Apparently more likely than I had been led to believe. Radiation flowing from a nuclear reactor in Japan? (Ongoing)

You have two choices - bug in, or bug out. Regardless of your choice, it is recommended you find (prior to said 'fall') some LMIs (Like Minded Individuals). You can never store enough food, ammunition, medical supplies, Stay-Bil or Clorox. What you can do is arm yourself with knowledge and a community.

brostoevsky
03-28-2014, 03:25 PM
Zombies? Not likely? Attack on multiple sub-stations causing one of three grids (Texas, California, NE) to collapse? (While the other two would pick up the slack, there would be brownouts and other problems). Possible. Solar flare? Apparently more likely than I had been led to believe. Radiation flowing from a nuclear reactor in Japan? (Ongoing)
Fukushima radiation isn't as big of a deal as some conspiracy theorists like to make it out to be... same deal as with Chernobyl, Three Mile Island etc. Yeah it's a serious containment problem but it's not going to cause society to collapse or create a race of Fallout mutants.

Solar flares are actually a real threat, there is just a relatively low chance of a majorly disruptive one hitting us. But in shows like Doomsday Preppers I have a lot more respect for the guys worried about the power grid being taken out by an EMP or solar flare than most of the other nutjobs.

The largest solar storm ever recorded was the Carrington event in 1859 which caused aurorae in the skies all over the world and disrupted telegraph systems (some of them shorted out or zapped their operators, and some of them actually kept working after being unplugged due to the solar radiation powering them). If that had happened today it would have been a massive deal because it would have damaged or destroyed most of the electrical infrastructure. Supposedly events of that magnitude happen every 500 years or so. I think as far as things to be paranoid about go it's definitely a good one to think about.

I also heard that a simultaneous attack on as few as 20-30 strategically chosen electrical substations (out of tens of thousands nationwide) could cause the entire national power grid to collapse in an epic systems failure that would take years to fix. That's still not as scary as a solar storm though, since a serious solar flare (or EMP) could basically render all tractor trailers useless which would cause widespread chaos as something like 80% of our interstate transport of goods is done by trucks. Scarcity would become a problem in a matter of days and it would take years to restore.

I'm not really a prepper or anything like that but I do have a basic bug out bag with emergency essentials just in case. I'd just grab that and whatever food I can, walk out of the city I live in and walk the 30 or so miles along rural back roads to a family friend's house. He has quite an arsenal and since his retirement spends most of his time doing prepper kinda stuff (salting pork, storing food, various DIY projects, farming etc).

I've actually been meaning to come up with a disaster plan I can hand out to family and friends in the event something really serious happens that tells people where to meet/rendezvous and things like that but haven't gotten around to it. I guess I better :P

LimeyRon
03-28-2014, 05:26 PM
My zombie apocalypse plan:

Survive until the insulin runs out.
Die.

I'm screwed no matter what so I'll just go around killing as many as I can and taking revenge on the surviving members of society who I feel deserve it :devilish:

On the plus side, I get to eat all the sugary treats I want :D

alexandre
03-28-2014, 06:25 PM
Hey everybody!

I have noticed we do not have the mandatory thread where we all talk about what we would do in the case of a zombie crisis situation, so I am making it!

This includes steps you have taken to make you prepared for this scenario like water and canned food storing, weapons and survival kits, how you would go about this specific situation and your goals on the long run.

I am living in China at the moment so when it comes to zombie numbers I am kinda screwed... My plan is to lay low as long as I can by barricading the entrance to my building and wait for most of the initial chaos to dissipate, then once its all quiet again go into action. It also depends on what type of zombies I will have to deal with... here is wishing for George Romero zombies...

So, what is your plan?

I live in South America and I'd take a boat and supplies and would fill a few kilometers from the coast ...

CaveToad
03-31-2014, 07:33 PM
I think we have to assume that the zombies vastly outnumber humans from the start, meaning everyone was already infected prior to the outbreak and something triggered it, otherwise there is no way slow moving zombies could take over against intelligent faster moving humans with sophisticated weaponry and tactics. There is a reason we are the dominant species, we are just too good at killing to lose against zombies unless greatly and immediately outnumbered. It doesn't take much to cause society to fall apart, however, and then humans are more your enemy than anything, as well as illness and unsanitary conditions (polluted water, dead bodies everywhere ). As the power and water stops functioning, people run out of food and water and get desperate. I think even outnumbered by zombies 10 to 1 humans would eventually retake the world. So basically its a waiting game and avoiding other people who want to take your stuff/life. Another reason its a waiting game, is that you merely need to wait for the zombies to weaken and/or starve or be subject to the elements. Zombies will have to eat to survive; You can't move around for long without an external source of energy, or violate all sorts of laws of physics. Even assuming zombies have a lower metabolism and don't need much caloric intake, they will starve eventually without food. Despite what movies depict, a zombie would be a terrible predator. If they also outnumber humans so vastly, there are limited prey options. In addition, in order to process any food they eat into usable energy, they need a functional biology of some sort, which means that you don't need just a head shot to mess them up. Any wound to any part of the body would have the same impact as a wound on a person. Perhaps their affliction makes them immune to pain, but it would also have to make them immune to infection, parasites, etc in order for their lack of self preservation to be survivable for long.

I think the key to surviving zombies or any catastrophe is to have a plan and more than one of them. I don't necessarily assume I will be home when the news hits but hope to get there quickly as the events unfold. I spend 40+ hours a week at work, 45-50 hours a week sleeping, in addition to commute time to and from work, lunch hour, errands, time spent at my girlfriend's place, time out on the town at restaurants/bars, or out for a run. Also factor that several weeks a year I may be in another state, country or city for vacation or business. Having plans for all these can be a challenge.

The initial scenario is really what impacts the plan greatly. The bulk of humanity would need to get sick and turn fairly quickly over a period of a few days or less. Unless it was almost instantaneous, people would likely be at home and society would already be on some lock-down or quarantine except for essential services. However in our likely scenario it would be too late. Without a cure, within days, most police, rescue, medical personnel and government leaders have turned and society collapses without any order. Even if a provisionary or skeletal leadership remains, functionally in most places, chaos would reign. By now, most people would be at home prepping or turning, unless away on extended vacation/business requiring air travel.

I am assuming since I am participating in the discussion that I have somehow survived the turn unscathed ( no overly harsh lingering effects, or no symptoms whatsoever by being immune or just lucky ). I will also assume most people I know probably have turned, hopefully I was in some sort of contact with them as stuff goes down, but over time, phones and eventually the internet will go down as power grids fail.

Luckily I live in a medium/small town and am probably a bit safer in general than densely populated cities. I am literally a 1 minute sprint from wooded countryside if I had to just flee on foot. Hopefully if given enough time I would probably have filled my car's gas tank up, and as things unravel, stock up on food and supplies depending on how freaked out people are. Martial law/curfew/quarantine may be declared, but once everyone gets sick, there won't be anyone to stop looters and others who survived. Depending if I felt like the risk was worth it I would head 3 blocks to the local hardware coop and gather as much tools, supplies etc as needed. They stock seeds and farm/garden stuff, tools, and so on so I would grab lots of these. I would grab some propane tanks, gas cans and a propane or gas powered generator. Once I was ready to move, I would head to some relatives that live further out in the country, as my house is not defendable against zombies or people. Going by car would be optimal, but there might be messed up clogged roads, or barricades by surviving military/police. Hopefully it would be quick enough to beat organization of bandit/looter gangs from setting up roadblocks on highways. I could take backroads, but if needed I could just escape on foot with critical supplies: bow, axe, machete, sword, trench tool, backpack with dried food, water purifier, medical stuff, map, clothes, lighter, camping essentials, compass, binoculars, cordage,

If the relatives survived that would be good, but if they didn't I would need to be careful approaching to make sure they place wasn't looted/inhabited and to deal with zombified versions of them. They live out in the country, have a large garden and acres of forested land plentiful with game (deer, turkeys, etc). They have a well. I would just need electrical generation to work the well until I could establish a rainbarrel system to capture rain and boil it etc. I could survive there until zombies all starved and society began to reestablish itself. I have no reliance on medication for health/life, know martial arts and how to use a variety of melee weapons, know how to use a gun, bow, crossbow ( all of which i own or my relatives own ), am in great shape and can run for miles without tiring at a pretty good clip. I know how to garden, fish, hunt, preserve/can food, identify edible plants, brew beer, and I know basic first aid. I understand the application of science and engineering so I could probably build, convert, repair, cobble together basic systems for things I need to survive, but at the minimum I would have shelter, heat, food and fresh water. I would just have to defend it against other people and occasionally push a zombie over and club it to death.

Dreadstone
04-01-2014, 04:13 PM
I think we have to assume that the zombies vastly outnumber humans from the start, meaning everyone was already infected prior to the outbreak

Well Humans would outnumber Zombies at the beginning, but the percentage would change over time. The second half of your statement reflects and echoes what Dr. Jenner told Rick at the CDC when he was shaking his hand 'goodbye'.

rentechd
04-01-2014, 06:17 PM

Actually like this walmart idea if you have a walmart that is not open 24/7 and the apocalypse hits while the store is closed - can you imagine all the shoppers turned zombies and/or looters you would have to deal with before hitting the wielding eq?

I am one of those that expect a 'apocalypse of some sort sooner or later and whether the zombies are mindless walking dead or just most of the population that's not thought of any preparation we have our plans. Enough supplies to shelter in place if we have to for a few days until things quiet down, as someone else mentioned, and then move to a more permanent prepared shelter with longer term supplies elsewhere.

Mike06
04-01-2014, 10:22 PM
I SHTF movies and preppers are always travelling to somewhere. I would stay at home. I know the area and the resources. I'dd think about setting up some defences, rain water collection , or/and I know locations houses with wells in their yards nearby. There are gardens near by.
Maybe try setting up a garden at the roof of our apartment building and block the staircase. I think the father and doughter in 28 days later at to of apartment building got it right.

Tellis Argonis
04-03-2014, 08:46 PM
A incursion of the undead would only be of a local circumstance, rather than widespread and massive. Unless it's the 'All recently dead are rising up to take on the living' kind of zombie plague, then it's a 1/3 infection rate. Since there is the fact that zombies don't know that giving someone a little nibble on the arm and sending them on the way makes more zombies, and their sole goal is supposedly to consume living flesh, then you're either going to get away scot free, die and then be too ruined to be much of a threat, or be bitten and get away only to be zombied later. And what with the CDC and people so paranoid about zombies. Confirmed zombies will be met with huge quarantines of areas while cleanup crews go in to eliminate the threat.

In the hilariously slim chance of it actually happening... Other than the whole undead thing, it should be treated as any other natural disaster, like an earthquake or a flood.

Dreadstone
04-04-2014, 12:45 PM
@ Tellis....look up Variola Major.

brostoevsky
04-04-2014, 01:20 PM
A incursion of the undead would only be of a local circumstance, rather than widespread and massive. Unless it's the 'All recently dead are rising up to take on the living' kind of zombie plague, then it's a 1/3 infection rate. Since there is the fact that zombies don't know that giving someone a little nibble on the arm and sending them on the way makes more zombies, and their sole goal is supposedly to consume living flesh, then you're either going to get away scot free, die and then be too ruined to be much of a threat, or be bitten and get away only to be zombied later. And what with the CDC and people so paranoid about zombies. Confirmed zombies will be met with huge quarantines of areas while cleanup crews go in to eliminate the threat.

In the hilariously slim chance of it actually happening... Other than the whole undead thing, it should be treated as any other natural disaster, like an earthquake or a flood.
Where did you get the 1/3rd infection rate from? That seems pretty arbitrary without any consideration for disease vectors (e.g. whether simple fluid contact will infect you a la 28 Days Later versus the "bite infection" death from Walking Dead zombies) or factors like whether they are fast or slow zombies.

Also I think you vastly underestimate the danger of that kind of epidemic. Typically in zombie media the world is one where zombies aren't really a cultural thing, so people don't immediately assume zombies. That's not true in our world, but it is true that the vast majority of people would not believe it was happening at first no matter what they saw. They instead would just see a very sick looking friend, family member or neighbor who looks in dire need of medical help.

That's why initial infection rates would be so high and why the virus could escape containment in the very early stages when loads of people get infected either without realizing it or without realizing soon enough the danger they place themselves in trying to help other people.

Given the right set of circumstances I think a zombie plague could be a very real existential threat (e.g. very contagious / aggressive vectors of transmission, just the right amount of delay in the process of becoming infected to dying/becoming a zombie, etc, speed and intelligence of the undead). Although I agree it tends to be exaggerated in zombie media and literature, since I find it hard to believe that Walking Dead style zombies could really cause complete societal collapse.

But imagine if it was highly contagious through airborne particles or simple physical contact, and infected you like a normal disease (e.g. without being bitten or scratched, just getting the bug and getting sick and then dying and becoming a zombie). In that scenario things could get out of control VERY quickly.

Grafando
04-14-2014, 02:02 AM
Grab an Ak-47, grab a beer, and maybe some girls.....lol

Darkening Demise
04-14-2014, 02:05 AM
Never share your plans, it makes it easier for your enemies to kill you! Blasted bandits will shoot you dead and steal those can o beans.