PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics Can't dig a "well" underground? Corn glitch?

Brimstone
11-25-2014, 12:17 PM
It seems it's still possible at ground level to dig or build a small enclosure and fill it with a bucket of water to make a "well" to fill jars- but underground, at least at or within a few blocks of bedrock, we can't. All that happens is the "well" fills with a faint shadow and you get the slowing effect and splashing sounds, but cannot fill jars. I tried to build with several different materials and dimensions just for $#!+$ and giggles, but it made no difference.

We also experienced another variation on the "err" bug... happened after we planted corn. Right about the time it hit stage 2, we got the error and chunks failing to load. Only fix was to delete the region and allow it to reload... thankfully our actual bunker was just barely in the next region over so all we had to do was dig a new tunnel...

caderent
11-25-2014, 03:08 PM
It seems it's still possible at ground level to dig or build a small enclosure and fill it with a bucket of water to make a "well" to fill jars- but underground, at least at or within a few blocks of bedrock, we can't. All that happens is the "well" fills with a faint shadow and you get the slowing effect and splashing sounds, but cannot fill jars. I tried to build with several different materials and dimensions just for $#!+$ and giggles, but it made no difference.

We also experienced another variation on the "err" bug... happened after we planted corn. Right about the time it hit stage 2, we got the error and chunks failing to load. Only fix was to delete the region and allow it to reload... thankfully our actual bunker was just barely in the next region over so all we had to do was dig a new tunnel...
I can confirm the water in underground issue. Wanted to make a hidden watersource, but its impossible.

AnvilFu
11-25-2014, 03:20 PM
I have a underground pool working on a commercial MP server at bedrock. We made the 1 x 2 pool with a stone boundary. It sits directly on bedrock. We can fill jars from the pool successfully.

Gazz
11-25-2014, 04:17 PM
Is there a water surface above this well? I had this issue when I tried building a well in a completely submerged base.

Sh.uy.1n
11-25-2014, 04:33 PM
Corn can not reap as the whole plant . When I pick up the lower part of the plant, the upper falls to the ground and breaks.

Shade666
11-25-2014, 05:13 PM
I have a water source under ground at bedrock, works fine, but then again, I am on a MP server.

AnvilFu
11-25-2014, 06:23 PM
Seconding Gazz's comment - you can't have "water under water". If there is a pond or lake on the surface above where you are trying to make your underground water source it will NOT work right.

Brimstone
11-26-2014, 12:43 AM
I have a underground pool working on a commercial MP server at bedrock. We made the 1 x 2 pool with a stone boundary. It sits directly on bedrock. We can fill jars from the pool successfully.

Didn't even think about that- yes, it's under Spillway Lake... Good catch

Brimstone
11-26-2014, 06:46 AM
Meh... meant to quote Gazz..

Confirming I moved the well out from under the lake, works fine now

EyTschej
01-04-2015, 10:34 AM
I wish I had seen this thread before, but I didn't. I wasted time on placing soil blocks in my small waterhole underground, cos I thought that the devs changed it so that you can't pour water on stone blocks anymore, but even after placing all those soil blocks underground, the water still disappeared. Obviously, it's a bug that's still present in 10.4.

Athos
04-12-2015, 04:19 PM
Sorry for necro'ing this thread ("What Is Dead May Never Die"), but... even in Alpha 11.2 with the new Unity Engine 5 this bug is still there. We just tried to dig a swimming pool in our underground bunker, but as soon as we poured out water in it, the water was invisible. You can hear the splashing as you walk through it, but you can neither see it nor interact with it (filling cans or buckets, trinking). You also cannot delete it with leftklick bucket; to remove it you need to fill every invisible water block with another solid block.

It seems that the bug was there because we have a river some 20 blocks above our base. As we abandoned the pool and dug a new one that was not under the river, the water was there and behaved normally.

This might also be the reason for some missing water textures in cave lakes.