PDA

View Full Version : How do I convert saves from alpha 4 non-steam to alpha 5 on steam?

narun
12-14-2013, 02:00 AM
So I converted my key into a steam key and downloaded the game, but my save files didn't follow from the non-steam version. I tried to simply copy the file from the old version's folder to the steam version's save folder, but that did not work (you get stuck on the loading screen if you try to play it). So is it even possible to convert it? If it doesn't work this time this will be my third time I have to restart my world and I don't really feel like it as I've already spent so much time on my current (and did on the first) save. Thanks in advance for the possible answers!

Fox
12-14-2013, 02:08 AM
The Steam game directory for Win7 or 8 is: HDD/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/7 Days To Die/Data/Worlds. Just transfer the saves from the Alpha 4 directory over to that one and it'll work (will still reset your character though).

narun
12-14-2013, 10:17 AM
The Steam game directory for Win7 or 8 is: HDD/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/7 Days To Die/Data/Worlds. Just transfer the saves from the Alpha 4 directory over to that one and it'll work (will still reset your character though).Well, I did that and it didn't work :S, when I try to play on the save I just get stuck on "building world".

rentechd
12-14-2013, 10:27 AM
I don't believe that you game use alpha 4 saves with alpha 5 if my experience is anything of merit. I was able to get my single player saves over to alpha 5 but all crashed and corrupted when I tried to use them with alpha 5. My experience tells me that usually worlds can survive from 'patch' to 'patch' (the .#) but when its a whole increment, like a 4 to 5 there are enough basic code changes that the saves usually don't function. Not just with 7DTD but with most games in alpha - and even beta, this is true.