PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics Movement stutter / frame lag while at 60+fps

Fox
04-03-2015, 01:11 AM
It displays a reliable 60+FPS average, but frames are occasionally lost and while in flight mode, there's a very noticeable stutter in movements (especially when doing circles around a tree).

I tried lowest graphics settings (with lower 16:9 resolutions too) and the problem was still there, no improvement at all. Lowest settings or maximum settings makes no difference at all.

My computer specs:
OS: Win7 x64 (no antivirus, no firewall, no b.s. running in the background aside from RivaTuner and PrecisionX)
Res: 1600x1200 (4:3)
CPU: Phenom II X4 965 @ default 3.4GHz
RAM: 8GB ddr3
HDD: 320GB Sata 6GB/s (EDIT: tried it on a Samsung EVO 250GB SSD with Alpha 12.5, no difference at all)
GPU: GTX 660 S2 3GB (tried old drivers and latest drivers)

I've done all kinds of tests already and have confirmed that I'm not the only one with this issue. Hardware doesn't seem to make any difference. It's not a graphics quality related issue. It has to be a mechanical issue within the game / new engine that seems to be only noticeable to those paying attention.

While moving in game and looking at the third party software on the secondary monitor, my CPU peaked at 80% for the first 2 cores, averaged 60% for the first 2 cores, 40% for the other 2 cores. When not moving, 23% average for all 4 cores.

The graphics card on medium-high settings barely broke a sweat, temps were still low.

Ram never reached past 3GB used.

For everyone else... post your feedback on this exact issue (do not post about low fps or anything else unrelated), it might help the devs figure this one out. (and prove that I'm not the only one with this issue, lol)

Maleficus04
04-03-2015, 01:27 AM
Pretty much the exact same issue, I just haven't done as much testing with it. Low-Highest settings are almost identical FPS-wise, but the micro (sometimes major) stutter is always there, every few seconds, while moving. Crouching/standing also causes a pretty bad visual stutter. I don't think this is an actual game stutter, so I'm not sure if it applies to this problem or not, but it's there.

Res: 1440x900 (16:10)
CPU: i5 4690k @ OC'd to 4.0GHz from 3.8GHz
HDD: Can't remember off the top of my head, but I'll add later.
GPU: GTX 760 2GB

hunter77
04-03-2015, 02:28 AM
I noticed the same issue the first time I logged on, the settings were set very low. I was getting a good frame rate but walking or running I would see a micro stutter ever 5-10sec. I maxed out the graphics settings and the issue went away. I feel like it might be a setting causing this, have you played around with each option to see If you can fix it?

Res: 1920x1080
CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Black edition, Overclocked
RAM: 16GB ddr3
GPU: Radeon HD 7950 overclocked

Fox
04-03-2015, 02:32 AM
I feel like it might be a setting causing this, have you played around with each option to see If you can fix it?
Oh hell ya... spent way too much time messing around with the settings between high and low and testing different things.

It's nice to see completely different rig setups in here though. Just adds more proof that it's not our own hardware related.

MyBalz66
04-03-2015, 03:03 AM
I'm getting similar. With everything maxed out with the exception of AA at 2x - FPS ranging from 80-120 with is great, but the game skips or studders every few seconds. High or low settings...

i7-2600k
8gb 1333
980 gtx
120hz monitor

JayzenFreeze
04-03-2015, 03:26 AM
yeah same here no matter the settings i can be in an open area nothing going on but it will do the same stuff here and there.

Salamanderrake
04-03-2015, 03:29 AM
Here are my system specs, and I even got the same issues, just not as pronounced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4anIwtz8GY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1khdQzpT3Ac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b3Y5-I51Pw

Res: 1680 x 1050 Windowed (16:10)
CPU: AMD 8350 8 core fx @ default 4.0GHz
RAM: 16GB ddr3
HDD: 1TB Sata III
GPU: GTX 960 2GB (349.12 nvidia drivers)

Phicksur
04-03-2015, 03:43 AM
Not as high FPS as OP, but very consistent, regardless of settings. Getting 15-20.

My machine is a stock Alienware 14 (for hardware) with 8GB RAM and naught else running but steam, Chrome for these windows, and 7DTD.

Maleficus04
04-03-2015, 04:47 AM
Just out of curiosity, is anyone else getting the crouch/stand screen stutter as well? It might be a different issue than the microstuttering, so I'm wondering how many others (if any) have that. I also just went up my first ladder since the new version and UUUGGGHH. So, much clunky stutter effect.

Rubberman2003
04-03-2015, 04:49 AM
Yeah I get shutter while crouching if I'm moving, same with jumping

warmer
04-03-2015, 10:50 AM
I even got the same issues, just not as pronounced.

From your video I can say mine look just like yours.

I've been getting the stuttering as well. Running/sneaking/attacking. It seems worst at initial load up, but it happens every so often whether or not I'm moving to a new area/biome or simple mining/crafting. Sometimes in the middle of combat an entire attack animation simply doesn't play but I hear the impact/result/blood

Win 7 64bit
AMD FX 6300 / 6 core 3.5GHZ
8GB ram
Radeon R9 280x 3GB

EyTschej
04-03-2015, 11:49 AM
It's weird. When I posted on the stuttering issue before, there was hardly any feedback. From what I can tell so far, the stuttering basically seems to be gone. It was "introduced" at some point during Alpha 7 and still bothered me in Alpha 10, but the switch to Unity 5 seems to have solved the issue on my system. However, you guys in here probably didn't have that issue before, but now you do. But that's what I had already figured out before: This issue only affects some certain system setups, so it's difficult to track down since there are so many different pc setups out there...

Someone suggested that I should use a RAM drive. I acutally did that and it was a perfect workaround for Alpha 10. I haven't tried with the RAM drive now, but didn't notice the stuttering issue from before anymore. But maybe you guys could try this workaround for Alpha 11: Transfer the game folder to a RAM drive and see, if the stuttering will be gone.

As a side note, I've noticed that RAM usage for this game has gone up from 2 GB to 4 GB. At least on my system. But that's a good thing since 4 GB is still not much and I've noticed no performance issues so far. From my point of view, I'm glad the game finally makes better use of the given system resources...

ClydeXSi
04-03-2015, 12:05 PM
Same here. At low or high settings I have 60 fps and microstutter (if I move, crouch, jump, fly...).

Windows 8.1 Pro
Intel Core i5 3570k OC at 4.2GHz (Thermal and Power reduction activated in BIOS, maybe it's because of this?)
12Gb DDR3
Radeon R9 290 (OC by Gigabyte and latest drivers from AMD)
1920*1200 - 60Hz
SSD Samsung 840 EVO 500Gb
ASUS Xonar Xense audio (Audio from motherboard desactivated)
Razer mouse and Logitech G19 Keyboard

Kraudi
04-03-2015, 12:07 PM
I had the micro-stuttering too but it was completely gone after I set Reflections to "off".

Nevertheless I still have issues with stuttering when the chunks are loading or in heavy towns it becomes unplayable. Other than that problems the game works good.

Cotabucky
04-03-2015, 01:39 PM
I7 3.7ghz
gtx780
windows 7 64 bit
18gigs ram
samsung 950 pro ssd

My stutter is more than micro stutter. Its more like mega stutter and I have never had it happen in 7dtd before like this(not that I remember). I can back off every single setting and effect until the sliders can't go anymore and I gain some fps but notice stutter even more because of the rapid change lol. That being said maxing out everything has never looked so good or played so good except for the giant pauses. LOVE the update graphics and gameplay and caves,etc. Something is broken for sure for a good many of us. In steam the threads are on fire from this issue.Some claim performance is better and many claim its worse. Its unplayable for me at the moment. Never thought I would say that but it gets bad and I can't back off settings enough. I also reset all settings to default in Nvidia control panel(running latest drivers). alpha 10.5 was silky smooth as long as I backed of settings some.

Rubberman2003
04-03-2015, 07:07 PM
Here is what mine is doing. Mine is only when crouching while moving and landing from a jump while moving.

I have changed all video settings, forced D9, and also a fresh install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcRwOWJQdPQ&feature=youtu.be

i5 3570k @4.5ghz
Samsung ssd
16Gig ddr3 ram
gtx760

Cotabucky
04-03-2015, 07:11 PM
Here is what mine is doing. Mine is only when crouching while moving and landing from a jump while moving.

I have changed all video settings, forced D9, and also a fresh install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcRwOWJQdPQ&feature=youtu.be

i5 3570k @4.5ghz
Samsung ssd
16Gig ddr3 ram
gtx760

I have watched every video in this thread and have to laugh(and want to cry). I WISH my performance was that good. I'm not kidding. I have very large stutters every few seconds.

Rubberman2003
04-03-2015, 07:20 PM
I have watched every video in this thread and have to laugh(and want to cry). I WISH my performance was that good. I'm not kidding. I have very large stutters every few seconds.

Ugh I'm sorry man. I would think your would be better than mine.

I assume all drivers are up to date ect ect?

- - - Updated - - -

Is anyone else getting that kind of problem?

3sec
04-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Same problem...

Windows 7 x64
Intel Core i5 3570k @default
Radeon HD [email protected] (Shadermod)
16GB RAM (DDR3)
Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB
1920x1080, 60Hz

Cpt Hans
04-03-2015, 07:22 PM
same problem here. 50-60 frames p/sec but noticeable game stutters every few seconds regardless of in game video settings hi or low.

i7 4770k 3.5Ghz
16Gb Ram
Win 7 64 - Samsung 840 Pro SSD
GTX 760 4GB RAM
1920x1080 res

The stutter (game lag) was present in A10 but not nearly as noticeable. Usually only happened to me when a horde would spawn nearby. In A11 it's pretty much every 5-10 secs.

Rubberman2003
04-03-2015, 07:24 PM
Ok cool, just wanted to make sure others were getting this shaking when crouching

3sec
04-03-2015, 07:32 PM
The stutter (game lag) was present in A10 but not nearly as noticeable. Usually only happened to me when a horde would spawn nearby. In A11 it's pretty much every 5-10 secs. In A10 it was some kind of short freeze and the workaround was to turn of ambient sound (for some/most people). Now we have people with something similiar and other people with some kind of constant stuttering.

lazerblade01
04-03-2015, 07:35 PM
Two things - is it possible that the fps counter is incorrect, showing steady fps but not actually rednering at that fps? Or is it possible that the input device functions are causing the stutter by queueing up the movement and skipping ahead when a frame renders but the input (I/O) function doesn't actually make a call or complete its task?

I also have the micro-stutter, and it definitely seems worse when jumping, crouching, or taking any action where the character or camera moves.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.2gHz
ASUS M2N68-VM
6GB DDR2 @800mHz
nVidia GeForce GTX 560 1GB
Win 7 Home Premium 64bit
Samsung ViewSync 22.5" @1920x1080, 60Hz, 2ms
Logitech G930 wireless USB headset
onboard LAN
Logitech mouse and keyboard
WD Blue 1TB @7200rpm secondary drive
OS installed on WD Blue 300GB @7200rpm primary drive

Rubberman2003
04-03-2015, 07:36 PM
Two things - is it possible that the fps counter is incorrect, showing steady fps but not actually rednering at that fps? Or is it possible that the input device functions are causing the stutter by queueing up the movement and skipping ahead when a frame renders but the input (I/O) function doesn't actually make a call or complete its task?

I also have the micro-stutter, and it definitely seems worse when jumping, crouching, or taking any action where the character or camera moves.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.2gHz
ASUS M2N68-VM
6GB DDR2 @800mHz
nVidia GeForce GTX 560 1GB
Win 7 Home Premium 64bit
Samsung ViewSync 22.5" @1920x1080, 60Hz, 2ms
Logitech G930 wireless USB headset
onboard LAN
Logitech mouse and keyboard
WD Blue 1TB @7200rpm secondary drive
OS installed on WD Blue 300GB @7200rpm primary drive

I have used multiple fps counters, they all read the same :(

Aww someone disliked my video :(

Cpt Hans
04-03-2015, 07:42 PM
In A10 it was some kind of short freeze and the workaround was to turn of ambient sound (for some/most people). Now we have people with something similiar and other people with some kind of constant stuttering.

To clarify. Saying A10 would "freeze" once and a while is a better description and that would happen only occasionally. A11 stutters consistently... makes me feel like I'm having a stroke.

netopier
04-03-2015, 07:49 PM
It displays a reliable 60+FPS average, but frames are occasionally lost and while in flight mode, there's a very noticeable stutter in movements (especially when doing circles around a tree).

I tried lowest graphics settings (with lower 16:9 resolutions too) and the problem was still there, no improvement at all. Lowest settings or maximum settings makes no difference at all.

My computer specs:
OS: Win7 x64 (no antivirus, no firewall, no b.s. running in the background aside from RivaTuner and PrecisionX)
Res: 1600x1200 (4:3)
CPU: Phenom II X4 965 @ default 3.4GHz
HDD: 320GB Sata 6GB/s
GPU: GTX 660 S2 3GB (tried old drivers and latest drivers)

I've done all kinds of tests already and have confirmed that I'm not the only one with this issue. Hardware doesn't seem to make any difference. It's not a graphics quality related issue. It has to be a mechanical issue within the game / new engine that for whatever reason is only happening to a very small select few ppl.

While moving in game and looking at the third party software on the secondary monitor, my CPU peaked at 80% for the first 2 cores, averaged 60% for the first 2 cores, 40% for the other 2 cores. When not moving, 23% average for all 4 cores.

The graphics card on medium-high settings barely broke a sweat, temps were still low.

Ram never reached past 3GB used.

For everyone else... post your feedback on this exact issue (do not post about low fps or anything else unrelated), it might help the devs figure this one out. (and prove that I'm not the only one with this issue, lol)

Hey.
This is probably because of low FPS on server. Alpha 11 server is currently totally buggy and after few hours my server is on 9 FPS on HP DL360G8 server with 16GB ram and 12cores... I cant do anything about that just wait for update...

Neto

Fox
04-03-2015, 07:53 PM
Hey.
This is probably because of low FPS on server. Alpha 11 server is currently totally buggy and after few hours my server is on 9 FPS on HP DL360G8 server with 16GB ram and 12cores... I cant do anything about that just wait for update...

Neto
For me, and most others here, it's an issue for both single player and multiplayer... it's a constant issue in which never goes away.

IEatBabies
04-03-2015, 07:59 PM
Average 60-70 fps. Tried setting every setting to lowest. Every setting to highest. Mid range. FPS stays consistent, plenty of cpu, gpu, and ram usage to spare. Stutter is every few seconds with any movement of view. Crouching, flying, turning, walking, running. The faster the view changes, the more pronounced the stutter is. Also going into areas with alot of rendering like towns, cities, areas with alot of trees or foilage makes the issue worse. Doesn't matter if I am on single player, hosting my own server, or on another server.

Cannot play the game with zombies run all the time, get caught due to the stutters or find myself running into buildings or other blockage. Can only play with zombies walking, and then have to stay away from areas with alot of rendering.

Was playing alpha 10 at all max/ultra settings without a single hitch.

* FX8320 CPU
* AsRock 970 extreme 3 r2.0
* 8GB DDR3-1600 CAS8
* Radeon R9 280 3gb
* Windows 8.1 64bit

Game is unplayable until this is fixed, although the graphics look amazing :)

Sheena85
04-03-2015, 08:03 PM
I get the same stuttering problem aswell. The only thing that lessen it a bit is when i cap my fps to 30 with MSI afterburner. But playing at 30 fps...yea.

i5 2500k @ 4.4 Ghz
8GB RAM
GTX 680 2GB
Kingston 120GB SSD
Windows 7 64 bits

netopier
04-03-2015, 08:14 PM
For me, and most others here, it's an issue for both single player and multiplayer... it's a constant issue in which never goes away.

This problem is only with alpha11. My server is currently running 30min and is on 3FPS (lol) with only 5 players online. On alpha10 I was able to handle 32 players with about 40fps on server.

Neto.

Fox
04-03-2015, 08:24 PM
This problem is only with alpha11. My server is currently running 30min and is on 3FPS (lol) with only 5 players online. On alpha10 I was able to handle 32 players with about 40fps on server.

Neto.
Ya, servers have a ton of issues too, but that's not what this topic is about. It's about stutters and lost frames while maintaining 60+ fps.

Rubberman2003
04-03-2015, 08:25 PM
Ya, servers have a ton of issues too, but that's not what this topic is about. It's about stutters and lost frames while maintaining 60+ fps.

So Fox are you getting any of the shaking or stutter when crouching like in my video?

Fox
04-03-2015, 08:32 PM
So Fox are you getting any of the shaking or stutter when crouching like in my video?
I don't know... been too busy moderating the forums and irc to have time to do other things like play games and stuff.

Rubberman2003
04-03-2015, 08:56 PM
I don't know... been too busy moderating the forums and irc to have time to do other things like play games and stuff.

Gotcha my bad man. Sorry wasn't trying to bug ya or anything, didn't think about that. Hope everything goes ok for ya!

MyBalz66
04-03-2015, 09:19 PM
I just retested after i fully updated my Win7 OS (just in case .net was out of date) and a fresh install of 7D2D. Absolute lowest setting still gives me these studders. I'm talking about quarter texture, the lowest resolution setting and everything off. I'm going back to playing FC4 on Ultra...

i7-2600k
8gb 1333
980 gtx
120hz monitor

netopier
04-03-2015, 10:17 PM

I know, and what Im trying to say is, that I think these shudders in alpha 11 are mostly caused because of server FPS drop (in MP).
My client is on 60FPS and server 3FPS = lost frames, other players teleporting etc...
Until FPS drop on server, everything works nice and smoothly.

Rubberman2003
04-03-2015, 10:32 PM
I know, and what Im trying to say is, that I think these shudders in alpha 11 are mostly caused because of server FPS drop (in MP).
My client is on 60FPS and server 3FPS = lost frames, other players teleporting etc...
Until FPS drop on server, everything works nice and smoothly.

What would be causing this in single player though? Mine does it regardless of what kind of server or SP or MP I'm in.

netopier
04-03-2015, 10:39 PM
What would be causing this in single player though? Mine does it regardless of what kind of server or SP or MP I'm in.

Something what is same for server side and also singleplayer. For example world generating etc... Dont know where is that bug in alpha11.
In alpha 10 I could do the same with stonebug on MP server and sigleplayer also. Bug caused same problem like these framedrops in alpha 11.

Neto.

Luap
04-03-2015, 10:39 PM
I'm getting the same thing I think. 55-60fps no problem, but it feels a heck of a lot jerkier, especially in cities. If I swing my view around quickly, it's like I can see it updating the same edges repeatedly, which is what I'd call stuttering. Happens even when I turn detail down, reflections & shadows off.

In A10, my fps would drop sometimes into the 30s, but it was always smoother.

Setup: i7-5820k (6 core), 32Gm DDR4, GTX980.
Resolution: 3840x2160 / 60hz

Rubberman2003
04-03-2015, 10:50 PM
Something what is same for server side and also singleplayer. For example world generating etc... Dont know where is that bug in alpha11.
In alpha 10 I could do the same with stonebug on MP server and sigleplayer also. Bug caused same problem like these framedrops in alpha 11.

Neto.

I can help test this theory. Silly question because I havn't messed with my dedicated much. Where can I see the server fps? Do i need a manager to do that?
Thanks

Fox
04-03-2015, 11:20 PM
I finally got a chance to try it out, and yes... both crouching and jumping. All part of the same issue.

Keck
04-04-2015, 12:54 AM
Well..at least it's not just me. Game is not playable when you have to try and punch zombies with this happening.

Win 8.1 x64
AMD FX 8350
16GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 660
Crucial MX100 SSD

meatsuit
04-04-2015, 05:25 PM
I7 [email protected] 2.66ghz
GTX 670
Windows 7 64bit
8gigs ram (only 5.5gb used while running)
5500rpm hard disk

I get stutter that gets better as I move around chunks that have already finished loading. Stutter is worst when first spawning in world, spacing between stutter is about 2-3 seconds while walking. Listed FPS is between 40 and 60. I have not tried moving into highly populated areas or cities yet due to greatly increased difficulty curve. Since I use a hard disk could this be related to load speeds or not?

Sa-Matra
04-04-2015, 05:34 PM
FX 8320
GTX 660
W7 64bit
8gb ram

Getting usual micro freezes in game, especially when moving to new area, when it loads new terrain chunk, it feels like it loads something (off HDD?) and game remains frozen until it finished. Been an issue for me in all game versions, A11 gives much better FPS yet micro freezes and stutter remains.

Fox
04-04-2015, 05:56 PM
Just putting it out there... A11.1 doesn't fix this issue at all.

Rubberman2003
04-04-2015, 06:22 PM
Just putting it out there... A11.1 doesn't fix this issue at all.

Agreed, it does not fix it. I mean It's easy enough to deal with for now. I did notice something, aim down the sights while sprinting, do you get a screen flash/blip? I'm uploading a video now of it. Gimme 5 minutes..ok maybe 10, youtube is uploading slow!

Cotabucky
04-04-2015, 06:42 PM
I see no issue with fps. I just have major stutter issues still with this hotfix.I have a gtx780,i7 3.7 ghz,windows 7 64 bit.Samsung pro 950 SSD,18 gigs memory...
I have tried with settings 100% backed off and maxed.Tried 1024x768 as well as 1080p. Just did a clean reinstall and deleted all registry stuff I could find on 7dtd. Deleted the 7dtd folder in steam. The stutter is exactly the same backed off as it is maxed out and it seems something to do with data loading in.Its like driving and slamming on the brakes every few seconds(almost sickening). I have let the game load in and all that and waited but it just does it if i'm walking OR running makes no difference.Running just makes it do it more often.I never had this issue with alpha 10.5. The game is GORGEOUS and the changes are awesome :) .Its just this stutter that makes it unplayable for me. Just letting you know.

Rubberman2003
04-04-2015, 07:10 PM
Here is the aiming blip I am talking about, was this present in 10.4, anyone else getting it?

The stutter and this are tried into sprinting it seems some how, I dunno...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziuev8sbhWI

Fox
04-04-2015, 07:22 PM
Here is the aiming blip I am talking about, was this present in 10.4, anyone else getting it?

The stutter and this are tried into sprinting it seems some how, I dunno...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziuev8sbhWI
Hmm.... haven't seen that issue yet. That could either be due to me not looking for it, or it could be due to it not relating to this topic's issue.

Rubberman2003
04-04-2015, 07:24 PM
Hmm.... haven't seen that issue yet. That could either be due to me not looking for it, or it could be due to it not relating to this topic's issue.

I am sorry. I thought it could have been related. Sorry about that

Peppermint
04-04-2015, 07:38 PM
When I start loosing framerates like crazy is when I am near ladders. I dunno why, but ladders slows down my game! elsewhere everything is just fine.

Fox
04-04-2015, 07:43 PM
I am sorry. I thought it could have been related. Sorry about that
No need to apologize... paranoid much? lol :p

Since I'm not a coder / developer, I'm not sure if it's related or not since I don't know what's actually causing it in the first place. For all I know, fixing this topic's issue might very well fix your issue at the same time... who knows. Either way, information is information. And yours relates to it at least to some degree.

So, thank you for that info.

Rubberman2003
04-04-2015, 07:45 PM
No need to apologize... paranoid much? lol :p

Since I'm not a coder / developer, I'm not sure if it's related or not since I don't know what's actually causing it in the first place. For all I know, fixing this topic's issue might very well fix your issue at the same time... who knows. Either way, information is information. And yours relates to it at least to some degree.

So, thank you for that info.

Cool Cool, na just want to stay in good standing here :)

Thanks

Fox
04-04-2015, 07:51 PM
When I start loosing framerates like crazy is when I am near ladders. I dunno why, but ladders slows down my game! elsewhere everything is just fine.
Now, see... this one doesn't relate at all to this topic's issue as it relates to an FPS issue.

IEatBabies
04-05-2015, 12:23 AM
Average 60-70 fps. Tried setting every setting to lowest. Every setting to highest. Mid range. FPS stays consistent, plenty of cpu, gpu, and ram usage to spare. Stutter is every few seconds with any movement of view. Crouching, flying, turning, walking, running. The faster the view changes, the more pronounced the stutter is. Also going into areas with alot of rendering like towns, cities, areas with alot of trees or foilage makes the issue worse. Doesn't matter if I am on single player, hosting my own server, or on another server.

Cannot play the game with zombies run all the time, get caught due to the stutters or find myself running into buildings or other blockage. Can only play with zombies walking, and then have to stay away from areas with alot of rendering.

Was playing alpha 10 at all max/ultra settings without a single hitch.

* FX8320 CPU
* AsRock 970 extreme 3 r2.0
* 8GB DDR3-1600 CAS8
* Radeon R9 280 3gb
* Windows 8.1 64bit

Game is unplayable until this is fixed, although the graphics look amazing :)

Saw the hotfix and said "YAY NOW I CAN PLAY". Logged in, same issue. Singleplayer, hosting, or playing on anothers servers. FPS still 60-70fps no matter what I do with the settings. As someone else said, its like having one foot on the gas and the other on the brake and your kicking your feet right left right left right left over and over.

poodude28
04-05-2015, 02:00 AM
Saw the hotfix and said "YAY NOW I CAN PLAY". Logged in, same issue. Singleplayer, hosting, or playing on anothers servers. FPS still 60-70fps no matter what I do with the settings. As someone else said, its like having one foot on the gas and the other on the brake and your kicking your feet right left right left right left over and over.

Exactly.

FFW_Rude
04-05-2015, 09:37 PM
Have the issue as well. Start from 60-70 but then sometimes drop to 15. But it's so inconsistent that it's exaclty like "IEatBabies" said.

Two computers have the issue.
i7 4770K
16Gb Corsair Dominator
R9 290X 4GB

i5 4790K
8Gb Corsair Dominator
Radeon HD6970 2Gb

Both on W7-64. The "16Gb" computer runs the server.

It seams that the longer the server run, the less stable it gets (server reach 4Gb sometimes then drop to 1).

x4000
04-06-2015, 12:44 AM
Can confirm I also have this problem. 24GB ram on an i7. It's unrelated to anything graphical I think -- it seems to be when chunks are loaded in maybe? I'm playing as a multiplayer host with no clients attached. This was not happening in 10.4 at all.

Cotabucky
04-06-2015, 10:27 AM
Can confirm I also have this problem. 24GB ram on an i7. It's unrelated to anything graphical I think -- it seems to be when chunks are loaded in maybe? I'm playing as a multiplayer host with no clients attached. This was not happening in 10.4 at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GogVN7xqRVE

This has nothing to do with internet lag just to be clear. It does it with settings backed all the way off as well as maxed in single player or joining on my server.The effect is exactly the same.

Keck
04-06-2015, 10:35 AM
I tried SP again today and am still having the issue. It reminds me of flying in Minecraft and things stuttering as chunks load like x4000 said. Except I'm just running around in a circle pretty much.

Cotabucky
04-06-2015, 01:34 PM
https://youtu.be/56HKadHJLWs

O.K. Fox, This is video of stutter with forced v sync on(60fps) and monitor set to 60hz to see if by chance it went away on my end. No difference from G sync and 144hz.

Select 1080p60 on youtube settings to see the effect best

IEatBabies
04-06-2015, 02:51 PM
Out of curiosity, went to twitch last night to see if the streamers were having this issue. Saw the stutter on every single stream.

Cotabucky
04-07-2015, 10:42 AM
So yet another video clip of my issue(and many others have said they have this issue) set at 1024x768 with all settings backed off
https://youtu.be/oEzerE3Z70M

This is a gtx780 and that framerate says 144fps and I can tell you for fact thats not a smooth 144fps lol.I use g sync for everything and can see massive improvements in smoothness above 60fps/hz especially when turning and spinning motion.This feels far less than 30fps when it says 144fps. Something is wrong for sure.You can see the big pause stutter still there as well.

Cotabucky
04-07-2015, 12:46 PM
I loaded 7dtd into a ramdisk .I have 18 gigs of 1600mhz ddr3. The stutter is exactly the same so it proves its nothing to do with data transfer speed from HD or SSD or whatever. I have tested every single thing that I can think of and will wait and see what the devs come up with.Alpha 10.5 was completely fine so we will see.

francogp
04-07-2015, 06:27 PM
I have the same problem.

my specs:

AMD 8 cores @ 4Ghz, SSD 500gb, 16Gb ram, AMD Radeon R9 280x

dxdiag:
http://pastebin.com/CfvFtRDw

Laz Man
04-07-2015, 06:44 PM
I wonder who doesn't have this issue and what setup they are using. I'm on mobile so can't check at the moment. Will try later, as I have general fps issues but no stutters that I am aware of.

Fox
04-07-2015, 07:18 PM
I wonder who doesn't have this issue and what setup they are using. I'm on mobile so can't check at the moment. Will try later, as I have general fps issues but no stutters that I am aware of.
I get the feeling that everyone has the issue, but are just not noticing it yet or can't even reach 60fps like us.

Cotabucky
04-09-2015, 09:53 AM
For anybody having bad stutters. I tried for the hell of it to turn Hyper Threading off in my bios. Unless its just by chance(I loaded up the same save in the same environment). It helped greatly to ease up on the stuttering.Maybe it could help some of you. Worth a try until they get it optimized .I read somewhere someone did it for some other game and it helped so I said F-it i'll try it.Like I said it seemed to really help and I will try it again to confirm. Its easy and worth a try anyways

Cotabucky
04-09-2015, 10:09 AM
Sorry, I guess that was a fluke. Worth a try anyways

Martooth
04-09-2015, 02:20 PM
I just grabbed a 970 gtx 2 days ago and I am not noticing this stutter at all, i did not notice it with my previous card (580 gtx) either. Although I have everything maxed out and I only get like between 30-45fps so maybe thats the difference. I'm using an Fx-8350 if thats helpful at all.

Cotabucky
04-10-2015, 12:24 AM
I am still getting the exact same stutter with alpha 11.2 :( .

Fox
04-10-2015, 12:51 AM
I am still getting the exact same stutter with alpha 11.2 :( .
Me too... really disappointing cuz I thought they might of fixed it this time going by what I saw in the release notes.

Cotabucky
04-10-2015, 01:17 AM
Me too... really disappointing cuz I thought they might of fixed it this time going by what I saw in the release notes.

I am glad I am not crazy. SO frustrating! I tried disabling everything(including Norton all together) after it did it on my other computer.The other computer is an amd x6300 with a gtx580 and windows 8.1 with 8 gigs of ram. The EXACT SAME stutter every few yards or so running or walking.Its a massive hitch... I am starting to think it is something to do with there code(in current state) not jiving with Nvidia cards or something .Its a gtx580 and gtx780 I have seen it on with my own eyes. I figured maybe somehow Norton was causing an issue but disabled it all together and no change. I know its not the cards lol. I have almost a hundred games to prove that. Maybe a driver not jiving. Not sure but it sucks big time. If it will help the devs at all I can do more video of whatever they want tested.

Fox
04-10-2015, 01:46 AM
My gaming computer is dedicated completely to gaming and video editing only... so I have nothing at all ever running in the background aside from Steam, RivaTuner and PrecisionX. My drivers are all very much up to date and were a few months old before noticing the glitch, so I know it's not that. Going by all the various differences in computer builds in this topic, I'm quite confident in the conclusion that it's the game or new engine code being the issue and is not at all our own fault.

siath
04-10-2015, 02:20 AM
If you watch that first vid when you start to fly, it looks to me like you get stutter while the chunks are loading. When you turned around and ran back at the first part it was smooth, area all ready loaded. My guess would be it has something to do with that.

Have you tried turning your LOD distance and View distance down some to see if that helps? That is until they get the issue fixed, at least you can play then.

Cotabucky
04-10-2015, 04:32 AM
If you watch that first vid when you start to fly, it looks to me like you get stutter while the chunks are loading. When you turned around and ran back at the first part it was smooth, area all ready loaded. My guess would be it has something to do with that.

Have you tried turning your LOD distance and View distance down some to see if that helps? That is until they get the issue fixed, at least you can play then.
Yeah I tried backing it completely off and disabling all effects and its exactly the same. I have even run it 1024x768...Alpha 10.5 as you said just required backing things off some and the problem went away. Not so with this build.

Dampfnudel
04-10-2015, 09:42 AM
The stuttering caused by crouching and landing isn't a performance issue. It's unsmooth camera movement.
I also get these short freezes even if I load my save and stand still. So I'm pretty sure its related to chunk loading.

cupcaeke
04-10-2015, 09:56 AM
As posted on Steam:

My system exceeds the recommended requirements and I played for the first time last night in a few months, to try out Alpha 11. My FPS was about 61, so pretty average and acceptable, however, every few seconds the game would freeze, and I or my friend would jump forward about 5 feet. Even though my system should be perfectly capable of running this game (the lowest part of the spec I have is 6GB RAM), I set all of the GFX settings to medium/low, quit the game, restarted it, but I was still having issues.

Memory was running at 5GB and around 92%; the only other thing I had running in the background which I always do with games, and has never been a problem, was Razer Comms. I never used to receive these problems on 7DtD.

I wasn't hosting a game, I joined a server in the UK, as did my friend, with a lower spec PC, and they didn't have any problems.

Soldierboy0098
04-10-2015, 04:30 PM
I'm also getting stuttering doing almost anything. The previous built before the update a week or so ago worked flawlessly.

My rig

Win 7 - 64 bit
i5-4670 3.4GHz
16 GB ram
Nvidia GTX 760 4 GB Vram

This rig tears through a heavily modded Skyrim w/ 4k textures so this game should be no problem.

Frostcurrent
04-10-2015, 06:07 PM
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 3570k at 3.40GHz
8Gb DDR3
GTX760 (latest drivers)
1920*1200 - 60Hz

Just bumping.Micro stuttering for me too, just like OP explained. Happens in every game mode and is more noticeable in towns (probably due to fps drops tho).

Wiseguy
04-11-2015, 05:07 AM
Windows 7 64bit
AMD Athlon II X4 635
8 Gig Ram
GTX 750 Ti

I'm getting exactly the same thing as the OP.

Cotabucky
04-11-2015, 06:19 AM
My big question is. Is anybody getting this on AMD cards??? I think I heard of a few but it seems its all Nvidia cards. I know there is absolutely nothing wrong with my cards(hundreds of games to prove that), but both systems I have use nvidia cards(gtx 580 and gtx 780). I agree its something with the loading chunks OR rendering but I can't help notice just about everybody using Nvidia cards. I keep trying this and that. DRIVES ME NUTS and I just can't play until its fixed.Both my examples use totally different systems other than the video cards.The only other thing thats the same is Norton anti virus. I disabled that all together and it didn't make a difference either. The only thing left I have to do is hit my head against a wall so I will go do that now lol

Cotabucky
04-11-2015, 06:25 AM
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 3570k at 3.40GHz
8Gb DDR3
GTX760 (latest drivers)
1920*1200 - 60Hz

Just bumping.Micro stuttering for me too, just like OP explained. Happens in every game mode and is more noticeable in towns (probably due to fps drops tho).
Its not do to fps drop imo.If your having the stutter I am having it gets worse as you increase fps. Disable all graphical effects and put your sliders all the way back and put your graphics at 1024x768 and you will still get the stutter but notice it even more from going high FPS to zero every few seconds.Once you walk in an area you can sometimes walk around that area O.K. but if you travel again it starts having fits. I bet you will have the same experience I just explained.

Cotabucky
04-11-2015, 03:20 PM
OMG!!! I tried on my server with A11b4 and stuttering is almost gone! I'll take it lol. It stutters just as bad in single player but joining on my dedicated server its much better. WHY?! Anyways, I went from desert into forest and usually it gets bad but so far so good(maxed settings). A little hitch here and there but not the vomit inducing stutter that it was. Now watch me go back in and it start up again lol.I will try this all again(go into single player VS joining on server and see if its consistent). Maybe you all try joining on a server since the A11b4 update? Tried this twice now and can confirm(for me) joining on my dedicated server almost eliminates stutters completely.Single player and the stutters are just as bad.Only A11.2b4 made this difference. I tried this with A11 and A11.2 and did not help. Give it a try

hymax
04-11-2015, 03:36 PM
i7 5820k @3,6
16 gb ram 2133
256 gb ssd
r9 290x
win7 64bit

same here, running @ 60+ fps. stuttering starts with 11.2b4

WhiteTiger225
04-11-2015, 06:14 PM
I7 3.7ghz
GTX 745
Windows 8.1 64 Bit
16GB Ram
2TB of Storage and the Fastet Writing I could buy.

Stutter everywhere, cannot run the game at full (I can MAX GTA IV, Skyrim with 200+ Mods, but not this game while standing in a Desert) without MASSIVE lag (Slow Motion style, not frame drop hilariously enough), Frame Drops around a SINGLE torch...

Its BAD.

Cotabucky
04-11-2015, 09:50 PM
I7 3.7ghz
GTX 745
Windows 8.1 64 Bit
16GB Ram
2TB of Storage and the Fastet Writing I could buy.

Stutter everywhere, cannot run the game at full (I can MAX GTA IV, Skyrim with 200+ Mods, but not this game while standing in a Desert) without MASSIVE lag (Slow Motion style, not frame drop hilariously enough), Frame Drops around a SINGLE torch...

Its BAD.
Yeah ,storage is nothing todo with anything from what I tested. I even did the Ramdisk thing with zero change except super fast game loading lol. Did you try joining on a server by chance? I still have massive stutter in single player but the server is working good now with this latest a11.2b4 update.I have almost zero stutter. Maybe once in a while but not bad at all and usually above 60fps maxed out everything

Fox
04-11-2015, 09:53 PM
Cotabucky, try flying around an object, (example: tree, building) while in the server to see if it still stutters like a mofo.

FFW_Rude
04-12-2015, 08:15 AM
Same here (already posted here but wanted to bump this therre was a hotfix).

i7 4770K
16GB RAM
R9 29X
W7-64

i5 4790K
8GB RAM
HD6970
W7-64

Sometimes dropping to 10fps but stutter can even come at 70fp^s

Cotabucky
04-12-2015, 02:24 PM
Cotabucky, try flying around an object, (example: tree, building) while in the server to see if it still stutters like a mofo.

On my dedicated server,Yes it stutters like hell when I use shift for speed and I float spinning around a tree or in a straight direction. Using shift for speed brings horrible stutter. That being said if I touch down on the ground and just use regular running the stutter is gone again and very smooth. As I said this only works now if I join on my dedicated server since A11.2b4. Playing in single player on my machine the stutter is exactly the same walking or running and yes horrible when flying with the shift key.

EDIT- it does it with float (build create) mode. No matter if you use the shift key for more speed. When you disable "Float/Fly" its totally fine and stutter is gone with regular walking or running speeds.Well I say gone but its more like a stutter every 20-30 secs of constant running if loading in terrain.

Jaga
04-18-2015, 04:24 AM
Reposting these at Fox's request. Solutions were found by myself and tested by multiple people on the Steam forums with A11.1 and A11.2. Success rate on microstutter fix is about 8 or 9 in 10 people. Primocache depends on how much available RAM you can give it, and how fast your memory subsystem is.

Fix for microstutter
Turn on Windows Aero (If it was off. Win8.0/8.1 forces it on)
Disconnect monitors not in use when gaming
Disable SLI or Crossfire
Enable Vsync in your video driver control panel
Enable (force) Triple Buffering for DirectX apps (Use RadeonPro if needed)
Set render-ahead/flip queue size to 2 or 3 in video control panel (RadeonPro can do this too)
If using Radeon Pro Vsync on Visual Tab is ON, Vsync on Tweaks Tab is Driver Default.
If using RadeonPro, use -force-d3d9 on game's command line launch options
Launch the game, make sure Vsync is enabled in video options area
Exit game, then launch it again
After loading your save, re-verify Vsync is turned on in options
Should eliminate your microstutter, and give consistently solid FPS.

Fix for loading lag/stutter (8GB RAM or higher required)
Download trial version of PrimoCache from http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-cache/
Install and create a L1 disk cache on the 7DTD install volume, give it minimum 2gb of RAM (2000MB).
Block size should be 8-16KB, higher if you use RAID on the 7DTD install volume.
Cache Strategy should be "Read-data & Write-data"
Do NOT enable Defer-Write unless you have a UPS battery backup on your computer.
As you play the game, PrimoCache will fill up the L1 cache with game and asset data, and slowly eliminate loading stutter. It is helpful if your 7DTD install and your save games are on the same drive cached by the software.

None of the software recommended can hurt your computer in any way - they are safe, virus free, and trusted tools I've used for a long time.

voxi smith
04-18-2015, 04:32 AM
Just came here to see if anyone still getting this after the Steam update today?

Seems to have backed off a little bit for me, but there is still some sort of chop.

Also, How do we get Radeon Profiler (RadeonPro) to work in Direct X 11 mode? I can get it to work in single player, but only if I force Direct X 9 from the CLI launch options. (Should I make this question into a new thread?)

Before I could get DVC, SMAA, TPB, and FXAA to work. Now I cant even get the OSD to pop up :( .

Jaga
04-18-2015, 04:35 AM
By default the game attempts to use DX11 now, if the GPU and driver support it. You have to force DX9 with -force-d3d9 to have tools/overlays like those work.

Fox
04-18-2015, 04:49 AM
A11.3 makes no improvements on this issue... if anything, it feels worse now.

EDIT:
Tried most of what was suggested (skipped the RadeonPro part)

I'm not sure there's any improvements for me for loading lags / frame drops as I call it... but that doesn't mean it won't work for other ppl... Also, I'm limited to 2GB for the memory which filled up instantly when I loaded the game and I'm only running AMD X4 @ 3.4GHz, so odds are, that's my issue for that.

The rendering stutter I get probably doesn't relate to the stutter Jaga is referring to. Since mine relates to going around objects stutter and his relates to in-place looking around stutter.

Here are my results (keep in mind that I lowered all graphics settings to really low for the sake of max reliable 60fps while running fraps which is a resource and storage pig):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3zkkojke836vb00/7DaysToDie%202015-04-18%2002-16-55-26_agk.avi?dl=0

Jaga
04-18-2015, 06:53 AM
A quick sidenote so we're all on the same page about the difference between lag, and microstutter... and what you're seeing Fox. :)

Microstutter is constant, and happens when you stand still in-game, and slowly move the camera around. If it has a good FPS but still stutters visibly and constantly, that's "microstutter".

Loading lag happens when you move a lot. Alpha 11's loader has a bug in it that increases the time to load up new world chunks (and/or assets like textures) when the player moves around. Find a long straight road, and sprint down it at full speed. If the game has high FPS and only pauses every few seconds, that's loading lag. New data about chunks far away in the world have to be loaded by the game, and it takes longer than it used to.

What you are seeing in your video Fox, is a type of rendering system stutter. It only happens when you move, but is a constant effect on close objects, and isn't loading lag since you stay in virtually the same spot. I think it is related to the new Unity 5 engine, and the optimization the devs have done (not a lot yet). It is neither microstutter, nor loading lag.

Video of no micro-stutter and loading lags after fix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrr9hBX6AFo

voxi smith
04-18-2015, 01:29 PM
Followed another guide and got rid of the lag completely.
https://www.reddit.com/r/7dayztodie/comments/330yp5/how_to_remove_the_fps_stutter_from_the_game/

Seems that the solution is to set the Affinity of the game to 2 vacant processors, and to set the thread priority to highest.

I can not get the radon Pro overlay to work in Dx11 still, but I really do not think I need it anymore. The game runs as smooth as silk now, and the in game V-sync seems to be doing the trick just fine, so I am not going to try to override it anymore.

Jaga
04-18-2015, 09:01 PM
Someone on the Steam forums already did Core testing, from 2 all the way up to 8. The best performance was found to have four cores for the game to run on. Massive performance hits were found running with just 2.

KDStudios
04-18-2015, 09:12 PM
Getting the same thing here with stuttering in flight mode (and ladders)

Windows 7 Home premium 64bit
i7-4790K @3.8GHz
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
Just a few regular mechanical hard drives on 3-6Gbit
AMD/ATI Radeon HD 5750 (Shut up, I'm upgrading it when I get additional coinage)

Cotabucky
04-23-2015, 04:37 PM
https://youtu.be/nBIzW3msZ6k
This you can see even when all graphics backed off its stutters like hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4lVajU85_s
outrunning the chunks/draw in

I mentioned this in Madmoles diary but there is so much other conversation going on lol.

The game is playable only if I join on my dedicated server and only since last update(enjoyed the game a lot since last hotfix :) ). Single player is still screwed and stutters every 2-3 seconds.I hope this issues gets figured out before the minibike comes out. It will be completely unplayable if not. I too get massive stutters in flight mode and vertical jumping and ladders.

I7 3.7ghz HT on and off
18 gigs of 1600mhz ddr3
Windows 7 64 bit
wd black,Ramdisk,Samsung 256gb pro 950 ssd
gtx 780
G sync,V sync,Adaptive V sync, Every trick in control panel I could try

Cotabucky
05-08-2015, 01:11 AM
Mr stutters here . Yeah this last update has the issues back for me some(bad game pause stutters when walking /running), but I wanted to mention that the guys at Rust said how horrible Unity 5 speed tree takes a hit on performance.They put in a bug report with Unity devs.I also notice some other games that went to Unity 5 have had big issues but are doing better(The Forest is back to running fairly smooth since this last update). Reign of Kings isn't too bad either. It seems the true terrain voxels and draw/load in(whatever its technically called) is the big issue effecting me and others now with 7DTD. For some maybe not but for some of us absolutely yes.It is still horrible and I hope maybe in the future it gets figured out.All was fine until this damn Unity 5 switch lol. I'll still be waiting anyways. Can't wait for all the changes.Last A11.3b4 update I had a blast on for many days playing by myself(like day 15+). Keep up the great work

sighkotik
07-06-2015, 09:01 PM
I also, am experiencing the stutter, since unity 5. Tried a few builds back, tried all the steps that Jaga has nicely laid out for me on this thread:

http://steamcommunity.com.tw/app/251570/discussions/1/618458030688789448/

Since that date, I've upgraded from 8gb ddr3 1333 to 16gb ddr3 2400, and the new XFX 390x, instead of crossfire 7950. Still having the movement stutter. Less noticeable standing and running, but flying downright gives me a headache. Going to go home tonight and spend some more time on it, saw some fixes like redirecting affinity. Really miss playing and enjoying this game, and have been waiting for that minibike since release! Will post back with my fix/bust.

urtarget
07-07-2015, 01:15 AM
i7 4770k
GTX 770SC
windows 7 64bit
16G ram

same shutter issue, very noticeable too. I initially thought it was caused by random gen (since it generates terrain around the player) so I tested it on good old Nav map, however I can still see the shutter but a little bit better.

francogp
07-07-2015, 06:05 AM
I can play "fine", but when I use the bike or the Flying mode on creative (so problem appear when the speed is greater than average) I get a lot of microstuttering that affect a lot the motion blur effect (or maybe motion blur is affecting with micro stuttering?).

* My general PC specs: Windows 8.1 pro 64 bits, Directx 11.2. AMD FX-8350 [email protected], 16Gb ram, AMD Radeon R9 280x, SSD 840 EVO 500Gb.
* My PC dxdiag: http://pastebin.com/CfvFtRDw

Fox
07-07-2015, 07:06 AM
I can play "fine", but when I use the bike or the Flying mode on creative (so problem appear when the speed is greater than average) I get a lot of microstuttering that affect a lot the motion blur effect (or maybe motion blur is affecting with micro stuttering?).

* My general PC specs: Windows 8.1 pro 64 bits, Directx 11.2. AMD FX-8350 [email protected], 16Gb ram, AMD Radeon R9 280x, SSD 840 EVO 500Gb.
Ya, that's the one issue in which no third party software mentioned so far can fix yet.

sighkotik
07-10-2015, 12:00 AM
Reposting these at Fox's request. Solutions were found by myself and tested by multiple people on the Steam forums with A11.1 and A11.2. Success rate on microstutter fix is about 8 or 9 in 10 people. Primocache depends on how much available RAM you can give it, and how fast your memory subsystem is.

Fix for microstutter
Turn on Windows Aero (If it was off. Win8.0/8.1 forces it on)
Disconnect monitors not in use when gaming
Disable SLI or Crossfire
Enable Vsync in your video driver control panel
Enable (force) Triple Buffering for DirectX apps (Use RadeonPro if needed)
Set render-ahead/flip queue size to 2 or 3 in video control panel (RadeonPro can do this too)
If using Radeon Pro Vsync on Visual Tab is ON, Vsync on Tweaks Tab is Driver Default.
If using RadeonPro, use -force-d3d9 on game's command line launch options
Launch the game, make sure Vsync is enabled in video options area
Exit game, then launch it again
After loading your save, re-verify Vsync is turned on in options
Should eliminate your microstutter, and give consistently solid FPS.

Fix for loading lag/stutter (8GB RAM or higher required)
Download trial version of PrimoCache from http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-cache/
Install and create a L1 disk cache on the 7DTD install volume, give it minimum 2gb of RAM (2000MB).
Block size should be 8-16KB, higher if you use RAID on the 7DTD install volume.
Cache Strategy should be "Read-data & Write-data"
Do NOT enable Defer-Write unless you have a UPS battery backup on your computer.
As you play the game, PrimoCache will fill up the L1 cache with game and asset data, and slowly eliminate loading stutter. It is helpful if your 7DTD install and your save games are on the same drive cached by the software.

None of the software recommended can hurt your computer in any way - they are safe, virus free, and trusted tools I've used for a long time.

Just tried everything outlined in the microstutter section. Game is running better, 100fps, but the stutter is unbearable. I almost feel like the faster it runs, the worse the stutter is. It seemed when the frame rate is under 60 it was less noticeable but i could be imagining that. My 390x is running Witcher 3 great. There has been some conflict ever since unity 5, and I've upgraded both my video card and my ram since then. Will keep checking in for fixes, as i love this game, but it's currently unplayable for me.

This is as of Alpha 12.1. Has been since around 11.

Will try again when Win10 and DX12 comes. I feel like it has to do with Unity, but this is just a feeling.

OKO
07-10-2015, 12:56 AM
Just tried everything outlined in the microstutter section. Game is running better, 100fps, but the stutter is unbearable. I almost feel like the faster it runs, the worse the stutter is. It seemed when the frame rate is under 60 it was less noticeable but i could be imagining that. My 390x is running Witcher 3 great. There has been some conflict ever since unity 5, and I've upgraded both my video card and my ram since then. Will keep checking in for fixes, as i love this game, but it's currently unplayable for me.

This is as of Alpha 12.1. Has been since around 11.

Will try again when Win10 and DX12 comes. I feel like it has to do with Unity, but this is just a feeling.

Don't think its related to unity. Rust, The forest are using unity but no stutter lag

AngryBvr
07-24-2015, 06:59 PM
This is still an issue.
Playing on i7 4770k, 16gb ram and AMD HD7850. Win8.1pro, and also Win10 Pro
Same problem exists even on on i7 2600k, 8gb ram and AMD HD7850 and Win7 Ultimate.

All drivers up to date.

francogp
07-24-2015, 08:12 PM
Exactly the same problem here, specially noted worst with motion blur enabled.

MichaelBolton
07-24-2015, 08:47 PM
i7 4790k @ 4.4ghz
gtx 970 4gb
16gb ddr3 1866mhz
2x ssd raid-0
windows 7 x64
stuttering problems

Maleficus04
07-26-2015, 05:39 AM
I haven't played or posted in a while, but I just started playing again, and while the game as a whole seems to run better than before, I still have the same issue I had when I first posted in this thread.

Just to clarify, because as I read through the comments and saw some videos, I noticed that some people were describing a different problem of stuttering (stuttering while moving, period), but that's not my issue.

Mine specifically, and only, occurs when I use some form of vertical movement. Be it crouching, climbing, flying up or down, and to a lesser degree, jumping. And it's not a stutter, it's a shutter. It looks like a chain reaction screen tear over the whole screen that bares resemblance to window shutters closing. And there's no fps loss whatsoever when it occurs. It is, however, incredibly frustrating, and to some degree dizzying to look at. So it's a problem all the same.

Maleficus04
07-26-2015, 05:59 AM
Damn you, disappearing edit button! Anyway, jumping actually doesn't trigger it for me, but the other things definitely do. And after having just gone into my game for the second time, I think a more accurate way to describe it is that it looks like you're suffering a pretty major fps drop, like down to the 20s or 30s, but your fps is actually perfectly fine the whole time.

Cronus666
08-03-2015, 10:32 AM
Same here but i only have shutters in SP 40-80 fps but it's shuttering so bad when i am sprinting, in multiplayer when i join server it goes smooth no shuttering at all...
my spec win 8.1
HP Pavilion g7-2210sm
2.4 GHz Intel Pentium B980
4 GB DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 7670M (1 GB DDR3 dedicated)
750 GB SATA (5400 rpm)

Rhaikh
08-04-2015, 08:06 PM
I'm having the same issue as Cota (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEzerE3Z70M )

Details:

It started happening for me in A12 as far as I noticed
It only happens when I join a multiplayer game, it does not occur in single player or self hosted multiplayer
It seems to be worse in Random Gen but also occurs in Navezgane. I tried multiple different servers.
I get the stuttering just standing in place and looking around. It seems worse if another player or zombies are nearby.
Framerate consistently 60+ as reported by 7DTD
Old i7, only 6gb ram, but I do have SSD and a R9 290x. Win 7. Fast DSL connection.

I've tried to no avail:

Complete reinstall
All video options at minimum
Locked Vsync in AMD Catalyst
Updated all drivers
-force-d3d9
PrimoCache
Unparking cores (https://www.reddit.com/r/7daystodie/comments/3d5b6a/stuttering_at_50fps_update_observations_and_a/)

I also tried to use RadeonPro but I don't think I am getting it to work properly. If I launch the game through RadeonPro it doesn't launch EAC and therefore I can't reproduce the problem because I get kicked out of multiplayer servers. Additonally the OSD does not show up. I'd be happy to try Jaga's advice with this but I need detailed setup instructions.

Deccypher
08-04-2015, 08:38 PM
Just so you know i tried out Win 10 .. and all the stuttering has stopped for me. not sure if just lucky or win 10 utilized the graphic card more efficiently, or something in win7/win was causing the stutter. but i don't think its game related anymore.

BENBOBBY
09-02-2015, 09:49 PM
Was hoping the stuttering would have stopped by now since theres been two updates since originally posting, but Im still facing the same issue.

How is this not their top priory? Ive been unable to play for months. 114 replies on here as well as people commenting on Steam and Youtube with the same issue.

Fox
09-02-2015, 10:58 PM
4 of the devs have seen this topic, but none of them seem to want to acknowledge the issue. I've made countless attempts to have them talk to me about it and whether or not they will ever fix the issue, none of them reply except 1 who apparently doesn't work in that department and knows nothing about it.

I guess they figure the problem will either resolve itself or we will just forget about it and get used to it somehow.

Fox
09-15-2015, 12:51 AM
I'd just like to update this topic by stating that I just tried this game on a Samsung EVO 250GB SSD with the latest Alpha 12.5... made zero difference to the stutter issues which doesn't surprise me at all since I knew it wasn't hardware related.

rpsgc
09-20-2015, 06:05 PM
Disabling reflections alleviates the issue, at least for me.

Fox
09-21-2015, 12:17 AM
Not for me... :(

Zintage
11-30-2015, 10:35 PM
I was testing the settings yesterday to see how my screen would look at max settings and apparently the stuttering occurred after that. Resetting the settings did not help. Now I'm forever stuttering!!! Super fail. Save us development!!

Fox
12-01-2015, 01:09 AM
I was testing the settings yesterday to see how my screen would look at max settings and apparently the stuttering occurred after that. Resetting the settings did not help. Now I'm forever stuttering!!! Super fail. Save us development!!
I doubt they ever will... at least not on purpose anyways.

Fox
12-13-2015, 07:12 AM
Alpha 13... the stutter issues are even worse now. Thank you devs for that!

supercioni
12-13-2015, 08:17 AM
Alpha 13... the stutter issues are even worse now. Thank you devs for that!

Confirm ! i can't play with MAX settings in FULL HD game drops FPS in city from 60 to 7

I've to take out reflections and shadow to have always a decent framerate.

My PC handle all other games without problems.....so its time to speed up the engine.

I5 4690 4Ghz
16GB ram ddr3 2400Mhz
ASUS VII HERO
2x GTX 780ti 3GB
SSD 850 pro Samsung

jerseyetr
12-13-2015, 08:27 AM
Im sure we can all confirm this bug.

I get a constant 45 FPS yet HORRIBLE stuttering. Everybody on my server experiences this as well.

Also, when players join or leave the server hits a HUGE lag spike. With around 4-5 players its okay, but with like 6-15 its nuts and the server crashes.

Fox
12-13-2015, 09:50 AM
Confirm ! i can't play with MAX settings in FULL HD game drops FPS in city from 60 to 7

I've to take out reflections and shadow to have always a decent framerate.

My PC handle all other games without problems.....so its time to speed up the engine.

I5 4690 4Ghz
16GB ram ddr3 2400Mhz
ASUS VII HERO
2x GTX 780ti 3GB
SSD 850 pro Samsung
That's a completely different issue to what this relates to. This issue relates to ppl getting 60fps or better but still receive a constant non-stop stutter animation instead of a fluent movement. Your issue just relates to the game not supporting SLI yet, and predictably bad game optimizations since it's an Alpha game.

e-Zee
12-13-2015, 09:58 AM
Hey Survivors!

Thanks for your feedback and all those detailed reports.

Sorry for the long delay on that, but -sadly- things get lost from time to time :(

I've created a ticket for that issue in our bug tracker. We will find the reason for the bug and fix it.

Harven
12-13-2015, 10:59 AM
Hey guys!
I'm pretty sure I know what is causing this stutter. It's the new sound system. If you pay a close attention you will notice that the stutter occurs just before some sound is about to be played. Looks like the sounds are not cached (or only few are) and the game read them from hdd almost everytime it need to play them. The game waits for hdd read operation to complete and that is causing the stutter. I also noticed that this problem is gone when I switched to linux. But it may be because linux kernel handles disk i/o differently than windows (probably better :)).

Heisenberg1979
12-13-2015, 11:31 AM
Hi,
i have this stutters since the Pimps works with the new engine. The FPS are okay, but it stutters every few seconds.

baird 888
12-13-2015, 01:42 PM
Getting bad lag/stuttering on every setting screen even freezes for 1-7 seconds and fps drops to 1-4.Its so bad for me that its hard to play...I was in the city and my screen froze for like 5 seconds while a dog was chasing me and of course it killed me.

Cpu FX 8350 4.2ghz 8core

Gpu R9 280x powercolor turboduo

Ram 2400mhz corsair 8gbs

PSU EVGA SUPERNOVA 750watt gold

Latest amd crimson driver

Windows 10 fully updated

BENBOBBY
12-13-2015, 03:19 PM
This game gets worse with every update...

Instead of adding random crap like wetness they need to fix core issues

Fox
12-13-2015, 04:18 PM
Hey Survivors!

Sorry for the long delay on that, but -sadly- things get lost from time to time :(

I've created a ticket for that issue in our bug tracker. We will find the reason for the bug and fix it.
Did Alloc send you here? Cuz I don't believe in coincidences.

Getting bad lag/stuttering on every setting screen even freezes for 1-7 seconds and fps drops to 1-4.Its so bad for me that its hard to play...I was in the city and my screen froze for like 5 seconds while a dog was chasing me and of course it killed me.

Cpu FX 8350 4.2ghz 8core

Gpu R9 280x powercolor turboduo

Ram 2400mhz corsair 8gbs

PSU EVGA SUPERNOVA 750watt gold

Latest amd crimson driver

Windows 10 fully updated
Again, your issue relates to bad fps... wrong place to post.

Hexcaliber mentioned in another thread that this might be a frame time issue (which is different from fps), while I did some googling, it does kind of make sense, but they always point frame time towards hardware performance and not game mechanics, so I don't know if I fully understand the meaning of frame time or if it's related to this.

jerseyetr
12-13-2015, 05:14 PM
Hey Survivors!

Thankfully somebody has gotten this to the attention of a bug tracker or Team Member.

baird 888
12-13-2015, 08:26 PM
maybe i should have explained it better...when i am getting the sick stutter like slideshow stutter my fps is always at 60 heck it even says 60 fps when the screen freezes for a few seconds but i also get an fps drop in some areas or looking certain directions

Did Alloc send you here? Cuz I don't believe in coincidences.

Again, your issue relates to bad fps... wrong place to post.

Hexcaliber mentioned in another thread that this might be a frame time issue (which is different from fps), while I did some googling, it does kind of make sense, but they always point frame time towards hardware performance and not game mechanics, so I don't know if I fully understand the meaning of frame time or if it's related to this.

Relay
12-13-2015, 09:25 PM
How do you start the game ?

When launching the game from steam you have two options:
- Play 7 Days to Die
- Launch without AntiCheat

If i choose "Play 7 Days to Die" the game stutters like hell (when zombies are around me). With "Launch without AntiCheat" the problem is gone.

Blackdog
12-14-2015, 02:45 PM
I found a problem or THE problem with fps.

When zombies are spawning/spawned in and you are around them there is consistent disk access for me of 8-10mb/s just whirring away like there is a looping issues going on. Game is fine when this is not happening, so whatever is being called from the HD is being done over and over and not cleared/closed out once in use.

The fps suffer, the game feels like it has stutter lag when this happens. It would probably be more prevailant for those with slower hard drives or not on solid states?

When I had this happen the game would not stop accessing at that speed until I restarted. The hoard was the worse culprit with this, the odd one or two zombos was less an impact.

DoctorFink
12-14-2015, 03:02 PM
Is this the same "stutter" we saw in earlier Alphas where when crouching, the whole screen would shake/stutter until the animation of moving from standing to crouching was over? Same with jumping? Just curious...

I can't say I notice a stutter when just playing normally, but as soon as I crouch or jump, it's almost as if it moves in slow motion until whatever animation is taking place is over.

I can play at a constant 80-90fps on A13 with no noticeable stutter most of the time. The only time I notice a degradation in performance is when a horde spawns (as others have said), or I walk up on a town/building with lots of walkers, but that is clearly unrelated by reading through the thread.

CPU: i5-4590
GPU: GTX 970 4G (latest drivers)
RAM: 32GB DDR3
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro

Schmiddi
12-14-2015, 03:04 PM
my game was fine running, no horde or something else, fps 50-60. then the lags began, fps fall....fps get back to 50 but lag holds on for a few seconds. then the game runs ok and i move on to my home. screamer come up, horde spawns and the (fps) horror begin. as longer as i get deal with the zombies the lags get more and more important till i has 3 fps and die cause i can't move anymore...

Fox
12-14-2015, 05:51 PM
I found a problem or THE problem with fps.

When zombies are spawning/spawned in and you are around them there is consistent disk access for me of 8-10mb/s just whirring away like there is a looping issues going on. Game is fine when this is not happening, so whatever is being called from the HD is being done over and over and not cleared/closed out once in use.

The fps suffer, the game feels like it has stutter lag when this happens. It would probably be more prevalent for those with slower hard drives or not on solid states?

When I had this happen the game would not stop accessing at that speed until I restarted. The hoard was the worse culprit with this, the odd one or two zombos was less an impact.
A lot of us run the game on SSDs which allow 500MB/s+ read access times... so 8-10MB/s being looped is meaningless to us. Even old hard drives can read up to 60MB/s constantly without issues...

It's not hard drive related, it's not at all hardware related. Trust me, I've been testing and trying to figure out the issue since before the official release of Alpha 11. The issues are directly the game's fault and there's nothing we can do about them. We just have to wait.

Is this the same "stutter" we saw in earlier Alphas where when crouching, the whole screen would shake/stutter until the animation of moving from standing to crouching was over? Same with jumping? Just curious...

I can't say I notice a stutter when just playing normally, but as soon as I crouch or jump, it's almost as if it moves in slow motion until whatever animation is taking place is over.

I can play at a constant 80-90fps on A13 with no noticeable stutter most of the time. The only time I notice a degradation in performance is when a horde spawns (as others have said), or I walk up on a town/building with lots of walkers, but that is clearly unrelated by reading through the thread.

CPU: i5-4590
GPU: GTX 970 4G (latest drivers)
RAM: 32GB DDR3
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro
That stutter issue was one of them, but I think it was either fixed a while back or someone found a solution for it. There's at least 2 other completely separate stutter issues that do not relate to fps. Frame time maybe, but not fps. Best way for anyone to know what I mean for one of them is to simply go in flight mode and fly around an object... even with zombies disabled and graphics on lowest... you'll still see the massive stutter issues. Then the challenge is to not see it afterwards when just running around in the world. The other stutter issues is as others recently mentioned again which is that the game freezes for a split second and then continues on... never affecting the displayed fps. That stutter is far more annoying as it impedes on melee attacks and just the overall enjoyment of the game.

Lazy Kitty
12-14-2015, 08:45 PM
How do you start the game ?

When launching the game from steam you have two options:
- Play 7 Days to Die
- Launch without AntiCheat

If i choose "Play 7 Days to Die" the game stutters like hell (when zombies are around me). With "Launch without AntiCheat" the problem is gone.

Hi there new to this forum here x).

I can confirm that launching the game without AntiCheat solved the heavy stuttering problem for me >;3. Haven't had any problems like this in any previous build.

Windows 10 pro
8 GB DDR3 1600
Athlon x4 860k overclocked to 4.3 Ghz
Gigabyte R9 380x OC Windforce x2 GDDR5 4GB

I should probably mention that I used the R9 270x before x).....which didn't have any problems.

Shiznit
12-14-2015, 09:59 PM
Ok, just gonna copy something from my own post here...

My post: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?34367-FPS-drops-unplayable

FPS drops:

For me it doesnt matter where i am, in the city, or in the middle of nowhere.

Strange thing is, i found out when i have like 6FPS, and go to video setting and change a meaningless thing like field of view
from 75 to 74, my fps go's up to 80 for like minutes....and randomly after a few minutes my FPS drops again to 6 or 1 even, and i change it
again, my FPS go's up again.... Same go's for when i play at ULTRA, i get like 60/80 FPS, and it drops after a few minutes to 6 FPS, and change a little small thing in the video settings, FPS go's back to 60/80....

wierd, something is just wrong...

I play GTA5 almost maxed video settings @ 2560x1440 @ 60FPS, but 7DTD is just wierd, something is just wrong....

900 hours into the game, started at A7.

PC Specs.

2500K @ 4.4Ghz
GTX 780 17% OC.
16Gb Ram
500Gb Samsung EVO SSD
27" DELL U2715H

Fox
12-14-2015, 10:30 PM
Ok, just gonna copy something from my own post here...

My post: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?34367-FPS-drops-unplayable

FPS drops:

For me it doesnt matter where i am, in the city, or in the middle of nowhere.

Strange thing is, i found out when i have like 6FPS, and go to video setting and change a meaningless thing like field of view
from 75 to 74, my fps go's up to 80 for like minutes....and randomly after a few minutes my FPS drops again to 6 or 1 even, and i change it
again, my FPS go's up again.... Same go's for when i play at ULTRA, i get like 60/80 FPS, and it drops after a few minutes to 6 FPS, and change a little small thing in the video settings, FPS go's back to 60/80....

wierd, something is just wrong...

I play GTA5 almost maxed video settings @ 2560x1440 @ 60FPS, but 7DTD is just wierd, something is just wrong....

900 hours into the game, started at A7.

PC Specs.

2500K @ 4.4Ghz
GTX 780 17% OC.
16Gb Ram
500Gb Samsung EVO SSD
27" DELL U2715H
Seriously ppl... read the original post before posting in here... your FPS related stutter issues don't belong in here.

Sheena85
12-15-2015, 11:42 AM
Same problem here, despite good fps the game is not smooth sometimes like it suddenly start dropping frames like mad. It remind me the "64hz stutter bug" of Oblivion.

i5 2500k (OC at 4.4ghz)
GTX 680 2GB
8GB DDR3-1600 RAM
Kingston 120GB SSD
Windows 7 64bits

Sinnocence
12-16-2015, 07:10 AM
Me and my husband have these kinds of rigs and OS:

AMD FX(tm)-9590 Eight Core (OC at 5.7)
ASUS R9 290 Series
32 GB DDR3 Ram (mine) 16 GB DDR3 Ram (his)
Windows 8.1 64-bit

(orignal game settings when event started)
MP Random Gen game
Privet game for him and me with me as host
Game set to Nomad
With 100% zombie spawn rate (medium)
Graphics set to High

I do not have really bad drop in FPS the way my husband does when we get a horde but it is still enough to be annoying.

For him it is a game breaker quite literally as it stops him completely to the point of repeat deaths.
It became so frustrating for us that we did a full reinstall and tried again. It continued to trouble us.
In the end we resorted to the following game settings with some degree of success for long term game play.

MP Random Gen game
Privet game for him and me with me as host
Game set to Adventurer (which I don't think was the root cause but was a back up plan for if he did drop FPS)
With 75% spawn rate (low)
Graphics set to high

I believe that the FPS issue with non-server based and server based games is the new poly intense zombies. When in large amounts and being very suddenly such as Feral hordes and Screamer call ins it is too much for any system to process quickly. I am not saying they should be removed but looked at for optimizing in some way such as view distance changing them from a low poly to full size based on distance from player.

I hope this helps in some way.

Fox
12-16-2015, 07:52 AM
*throws papers in the air and walks away*

I feel like I'm talking to a wall.

SylenThunder
12-16-2015, 08:27 AM
*throws papers in the air and walks away*

I feel like I'm talking to a wall.
This is because they read title, but do not read OP. :satellite:

Grief
12-16-2015, 12:02 PM
Sorry, I've started a new thread, but it seems to be it's the same issue: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?34766-Camera-constantly-stutters

Fox
12-16-2015, 08:10 PM
Sorry, I've started a new thread, but it seems to be it's the same issue: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?34766-Camera-constantly-stutters
Yup, that's one of the issues... annoying isn't it? Now try enjoying the game after having to deal with that all the time. And it's way worse in flight mode.

Once seen, cannot be unseen.

[BAS] Basta
12-20-2015, 10:53 AM
Just to add that in 13.4 the situation is not improved. I play on an Alienware 17 with 16GB RAM, i7 and GTX 770M running avg 40fps with medium video settings.

I get in reality like 3 frames a second, and when zombies are near it becomes 1 frame every three seconds. It kills me every time because I never get my character away from the attack. (haven't been playing much A13 because of this, just tried every release and then sadly gave up)

Basta

[BAS] Basta
12-20-2015, 07:19 PM
I'm playing a single player game without EAC and it goes 100% smooth even when close to zombies. To me it indicates something is seriously off with EAC.

What I noticed as well is that nvidia doesn't launch the EAC exe with hardware acceleration. And when I force it, there are errors popping up in the log. (probably reverting the engine to integrated graphics, explaining the low real fps)

[BAS] Basta
12-21-2015, 08:51 AM
After some more testing I've come to conclude the stutter is EAC related on my system. It might be a combination of EAC and systems using Nvidia Optimus to switch between integrated chips and accelerated GPU:

100% EAC Related
Playing a SP game without EAC and same video settings without EAC = 40-50 FPS and completely fluent also near towns and zombies. Starting the same SP game with EAC = 40-50 FPS but the stutter is back immediately (while I'm on the same place in the game)

Maybe Optimus?
The reason why I think it is NVIDIA Optimus related is because the EAC exe starts without acceleration by default. This would still be ok, but when forcing it to run accelerated, the logs show it can't reach the 3DDevice and resets, probably using integrated graphics to continue (see log).

So dear pimps: I hope you had a nice weekend, I used it mainly to nail this stutter thing and above is my conclusions. Hope it narrows it down to the root cause so you can fix it and I can finally start using that 7D2D dedicated server I leased for the holidays :o)

To the others with this issue, could you please check 2 things:
- When you start the game without EAC and Single Player, do you have the stutter or is it gone?
- Do you play on a system with an integrated graphics card + NVIDIA graphics card? (so probably using Optimus tech to switch automatically between them)

Basta

Fox
12-21-2015, 09:49 AM
Tried without EAC and as always Single Player mode... no difference at all. Onboard video card disabled (I never even installed the drivers for it, and it's not an APU type of CPU either). I use a Nvidia GTX 660 graphics card. I don't even know what Optimus is.

Btw, still able to maintain a solid 60fps while on medium - high settings. Mind you, I didn't go into any towns or see any zombie hordes, so who knows.

supercioni
12-25-2015, 10:46 AM
13.6 single player
CPU @ 100%

can't play.

i5 4690 @ 4Ghz
16GB ram 2400Mhz
2 x GTX780ti 3GB

SSD samsung 850 pro

update

turned off shadows (before 13.6 on ULTRA)
turned off reflections (before 13.6 on low)

Fox
12-25-2015, 06:05 PM
Try this guy's solution, maybe it'll help some ppl: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?36289-Game-stutters-at-120FPS-especially-downhill-yellow-white-screen-ccaused-by-ssao&p=371034&viewfull=1#post371034

I'm too busy atm with xmas to bother testing.

[BAS] Basta
12-26-2015, 09:09 PM
Hey guys,

My problem might not have been the same as Fox's, but I got to say 14.6 solved my stutter issues when playing with EAC. TY PIMPS!

BRs
Basta

Rems
12-27-2015, 10:33 PM
Try this guy's solution, maybe it'll help some ppl: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?36289-Game-stutters-at-120FPS-especially-downhill-yellow-white-screen-ccaused-by-ssao&p=371034&viewfull=1#post371034

I'm too busy atm with xmas to bother testing.

Tested the core unparking, it doesn't fix the microstutters in my case.

Despite a relatively high framerate in general (60-120), the microstutters are almost a permanent thing. These are noticeable when running but can be seen when walking too. It looks like hiccups. They are longer in duration (per hiccup) in hub cities and burnt biomes in my case, and they always appear at very regular interval. From ultra to low settings there is no difference, they are still visible.

Config:
I5 2500K oc
gtx 980 oc
8GB ram
Files on ssd

supercioni
12-28-2015, 08:52 AM
Tested the core unparking, it doesn't fix the microstutters in my case.

Despite a relatively high framerate in general (60-120), the microstutters are almost a permanent thing. These are noticeable when running but can be seen when walking too. It looks like hiccups. They are longer in duration (per hiccup) in hub cities and burnt biomes in my case, and they always appear at very regular interval. From ultra to low settings there is no difference, they are still visible.

Config:
I5 2500K oc
gtx 980 oc
8GB ram
Files on ssd

have you checked your CPU load? when i have this issue the cpu is above 95%, there is something that burn out the cpu.

supercioni
12-28-2015, 11:31 AM

Regulus
01-04-2016, 10:07 AM
frame lag,
i7 4700
GT770M
8GB Ram
8gbssd+Hdd500 (hybid)

frame lag, appeards when opening by pressing "B" (while your apperance is rendered on left).
what causes it? Tone Mapping.
With tone mapping off, problem solved.

i think some "loop" with endless tone to tone appears(refflection to refflection). after some time i see just some artefacts black/white.

Fox
01-28-2016, 07:28 PM
For the record, stutter issues still not fixed. If anything, it might be even worse... or the burnt forest fog had an effect which made it worse. Either way, the game is still unbearable to play.

JayzenFreeze
01-30-2016, 10:19 PM
Yeah what fox said. I can barley tolerate it but it seems to keep getting worse. I hope the new A14 fixes that but I doubt the optimizations will be as good as I hope.

charrison82
02-22-2016, 04:59 AM
Confirmed for 13.8 as well rig very close to most others posted, on ultra and low at 60+ fps and still stuttering.

Fox
03-27-2016, 01:27 AM
Alpha 14 update:

After setting my graphics settings to lowest possible setting, and very patiently trying to get a new map to work without instantly crashing on me (took a dozen attempts, but I was able to get a result),... yup, stutters are still there.

All that time and effort in fixing bugs in the game, yet still no mention or effort put towards this stutter issue which has existed since the new engine.

Thanks for continuing to ignore us. And you wonder why your Steam review ratings keep dropping.

fallonjeff
04-08-2016, 12:14 AM
The stutter is back with a vengeance, all throughout the Alpha 14 releases my game play has been smooth, but now with 14.5, me and my friends are getting a lot of stutters while frames are showing high rates. I changed my settings to the low default and then tried again, no luck, the stutters are bad enough that I don't really want to play. The improvements are awesome, but I believe something has gone wrong with 14.5

metalmyarvy
04-15-2016, 01:10 PM
The stutter is back with a vengeance, all throughout the Alpha 14 releases my game play has been smooth, but now with 14.5, me and my friends are getting a lot of stutters while frames are showing high rates. I changed my settings to the low default and then tried again, no luck, the stutters are bad enough that I don't really want to play. The improvements are awesome, but I believe something has gone wrong with 14.5

I can not relate to the state prior to 14.5 since as usual the game found a very creative reason not to run. (BTW try w7 sp1 if you're having troubles)

But I totally confirm this, the game stutters every few seconds while moving, even on gameboy settings with constant fps between 100 and 190 it doesn't stop to stutter. I unparked my CPU there might be an esoteric improvement but it still just makes me want to not play.

I have been trough a hundred hours of stuttery gameplay once I got A13 to run, since I had put so much effort in to it, and now that we had our big performance update my hopes are very low. Yes overall the game runs much smoother, in between the stutters.... But nothing has changed and I am so sick of not beeing able to kill a single zombie without my aim or a hitbox skipping. (it's not much and I am sure that there a plenty of players who are able to ignore this as long as their senses get overloaded with shadows and sunshafts, but I'd rather enjoy it in 640x480 and black and white as long as the performance is perfectly reliable)

I'd like to able to decide map size and load the map onto a ramdisk in SP, to see if that helps

Andargor
05-30-2016, 08:24 PM
Just got and installed a brand spanking new GTX 1080, and the stutter is still there :D Unitttyyy!! Why not port to Unreal Engine? :D

GPU: GTX 1080 FE
CPU: i7-4770k @ 4.3GHz
RAM: 32 GB
Disk: SSD

GlutenFreeIce
07-12-2016, 12:28 PM
Add me to the list of fps lag:

AMD 270X 2GB, i5 4460 3.2GHz, Samsung SSD and 16GB of RAM, running Windows 10. No mods are installed.

raikkuboy69
08-11-2016, 05:07 PM
I have this issue also. Super annoying, please fix!

Seems to have started as game progressed.

ZedBullfrog
08-18-2016, 02:43 PM
People posting ITT:

Please read the OP, which is NOT related to FPS lag in ANY WAY.

The issue being reported here is a "stutter" in game every few seconds regardless of how good your FPS is.

Guppycur
09-17-2016, 06:59 AM
Well? Did a15 fix it? Fox?

sachi
09-19-2016, 10:21 PM
I am experiencing this issue too. I have steady 60+ fps with everything in ULTRA, but while moving the mouse the microstutter begins, so annoying. I walk or run straight and there's no problem, but when I move the cursor there it is! Is like a small jarring effect (exactly as OP explained), specially noticeable while moving around an object. Btw, I changed to LOW setttings and the problem remains.

AMD FX8350 - GTX 970 - 8 gbs RAM - (ALPHA 15--14.5--14.7) I have tried everything I've read in these forums. Tweaking settings, fresh install, regedit, drivers, EAC,.... nothing.

Now I will tell you what I've discovered, maybe this will help someone to pinpoint the problem. I have enabled the CONTROLLER (xbox 360 controller) in options ingame, and when I move the right stick to look around (as when you are moving the mouse) the MICROSTUTTER DISSAPEARS!!!! what the heck!!!

Could anyone explain how can this be possible? So the mouse gives me the microstutter but the controller doesn't?

Pity that the mouse+keyboard is 100 times better, if not I would play with the controller and forget about the whole thing....

Fox
09-20-2016, 01:38 PM
Well? Did a15 fix it? Fox?
Alpha 15 beta fixes nothing at all in relation to these stutter issues.

Why am I not at all surprised? -_-

rpsgc
09-21-2016, 08:03 PM
Alpha 15 beta fixes nothing at all in relation to these stutter issues.

Why am I not at all surprised? -_-

I feel it's actually worse now (or is it because I haven't played for so long?).

tarkonn
10-05-2016, 08:17 AM
Everyone I play with is getting this now.

I get it to some degree, less than others.

It's not a GPU lag, it's the CPU usage. Happens much more when zombies spawn or there are a large number of objects around.

My rig:
Core i7-6700K (Skylake 4.0GHz)
16GB DDR3 RAM running @ 3000MHz
Nvidia GeForce 970GTX
3x Samsung Evo SSDs in RAID0

EzRemade
10-22-2016, 06:20 AM
It's definitely the chunk loading and object loading. If you increase all your render distance settings, performance actually seems to get better.

Whatever it is though, it feels terrible.

ZedBullfrog
10-24-2016, 12:00 AM
This is still an issue for me as well, sadly. It's exciting to see the FPS go up with released builds but after a few minutes of playing the stutters are back...

Galizur
10-31-2016, 04:44 PM
Same here. Stuttering with 50+ fps (up to 130 if I am looking at the sky). The settings for trees, grass distance and reflections seem to make the problem worse.

Funny thing is, if I switch to GLcore renderer, my fps drops a bit but there is no movement stutter (athough I cannot get the game to the graphical affinity I wish with GLcore).

Specs:
CPU: AMD FX-4300 OC to 4.3GHz
GPU: AMD XFX RX 480
MB: Asrock 970 Extreme4
RAM: 16GB Fury X
SSD: Intenso 128GB

Running 64bit version of the game, v.A15.

Generally speaking, even with the game paused and minimized, everything is working almost as much as when the game is running normally.

EDIT: Forgot to add that CPU and GPU are working at full load (85% approximately for the CPU and 100% of the clock speed of the GPU)

Darehitorimo
11-15-2016, 03:07 PM
I've disabled "threaded optimization" in the Nvidia settings for 7DTD.exe and since i've done this, my fps raised to 60 fps with a GTX 970, but I also encountered micro-stuttering since this point. When I used V-Sync in 7DTD, my fps dropped under 25 fps and the game began to run more delayed. So I've decided to deactivate it in 7DTD and activate it in Nvidia settings. I can't tell you why, but this works much better, but I still gain stuttering, but much lesser, since before.

Please try it out and report your experience here!

Fox
11-15-2016, 04:33 PM
I've disabled "threaded optimization" in the Nvidia settings for 7DTD.exe and since i've done this, my fps raised to 60 fps with a GTX 970, but I also encountered micro-stuttering since this point. When I used V-Sync in 7DTD, my fps dropped under 25 fps and the game began to run more delayed. So I've decided to deactivate it in 7DTD and activate it in Nvidia settings. I can't tell you why, but this works much better, but I still gain stuttering, but much lesser, since before.

Please try it out and report your experience here!
If you still have stutter issues, then what was the point?

Darehitorimo
11-15-2016, 09:55 PM
Threaded optimization disabled -> movement stutter has gotten lesser ...

Zhaylin
12-14-2016, 08:30 PM
I bought a "gaming computer". Specs are completely greek to me. This is what my PC says:
"Windows 10 Home
Version 1607
Manufacturer: Velocity Micro
Model: Edge Z55
OS Build 14393.479
Intell(R) Core(TM) i5-4690k CPU @ 3.50GHz 3.50GHz
Installed RAM 12.0 GB (11.8 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor"

If I need to supply other info, where do I find it?

I am stuttering terribly since A15.1. I tweaked my settings and run an almost constant 60fps
There's no rhyme or reason to the stutter. I get in when mining solo as well as when fighting hordes.

DUST2DEATH
12-14-2016, 09:10 PM
Hadnt really noticed this until yesterday.

I normally dont get too bothered by microstutter but this one is quite apparent.

my 4970K is doing hardly anything (~30% most of the time, ~60% under load from 7DtD). It doesnt seem to even max out a single core/thread.
my 1080 is twiddling its thumbs (~20% @ 60fps) - high/ultra most things. shadows low, uma tex low etc
Main screen is 21:9 2560x1080, second monitor isnt used by the game. Running in borderless window.

I dont have anything else to add. (nothing stands out) other than my pagefile grows to 22GB LOL, wait what?? no seriously, ssd am cry.

Fox
12-14-2016, 09:50 PM
I've already done the tests to prove that it has nothing at all to do with any of our computers. The new Unity 5 engine just sucks, but unfortunately we're stuck with it... at least until Unity makes improvements.

Labrat309
12-14-2016, 09:51 PM
I capped the game at 60fps because there is really no point for anything higher on a 60hz monitor.

I only get this stutter lag when zombies load into the world, mostly noticeable to me on horde night, maybe once in a while when running into an area with a LOT of blocks.

Not sure if there is anything I can do to make it better.

I5-6600k OC 4.2ghz
16gb Ram
r9-390
MSI z170a m7 gaming MB

I seem to get the exact same stutter type lag in ARK when dino's load into my area

Zhaylin
12-15-2016, 12:10 AM
I really hope they resolve the Unity issue. I've done everything I can think of on my end (virus scans/clearing cache, cookies/updating drivers yadda yadda). I thought for sure my driver was part of the problem. I use NVidia and it hadn't updated in a long time (kept getting errors). I finally trouble shot GeForce, fixed and updated everything and I still have the stutter. *bangs head on wall*

I have 1600 hours logged on-line lol. I'm going to go insane if this issue persists.

Fox
12-15-2016, 12:22 AM
I seem to get the exact same stutter type lag in ARK when dino's load into my area
I imagine they used the same engine version, minus the voxels.

DUST2DEATH
12-29-2016, 10:26 PM
I wondering if its vsync related.

Ive locked it to 60 via RTSS, and its "smoother" than just using in game vsync. Take away any form of vsync and let the fps run wild and it doesnt seem to show (If it has I didnt notice - my 1080 was pushing near 180fps uncapped)

Tin
12-29-2016, 10:51 PM
I imagine they used the same engine version, minus the voxels.

Which is the reason Unity needs to get kicked in the face till they fix all versions ( or TFP switch versions >.> ).

Adarcer
01-15-2017, 09:13 PM
This sounds like the 60 Hz bug or a form of it... this is fixable with nvidia cards as i have always fixed my elder scrolls games and fallouts using this technique but you have to 1) disable vsync in game 2) download nvidia inspector. open program click gear icon. pull down profile list. click on 7 days to die. and force vsync thro the card itself .. if that does not work try frame limiter and set to around 40-50ish or were you want your frames to be stable at (do not go higher than 59 fps to avoid the bug)

note: I would not recommend using both frame limiter and vsync at same time.

make sure to make note of any changes you make to the profile, to restore if needed..

JayzenFreeze
01-16-2017, 06:24 PM
This sounds like the 60 Hz bug or a form of it... this is fixable with nvidia cards as i have always fixed my elder scrolls games and fallouts using this technique but you have to 1) disable vsync in game 2) download nvidia inspector. open program click gear icon. pull down profile list. click on 7 days to die. and force vsync thro the card itself .. if that does not work try frame limiter and set to around 40-50ish or were you want your frames to be stable at (do not go higher than 59 fps to avoid the bug)

note: I would not recommend using both frame limiter and vsync at same time.

make sure to make note of any changes you make to the profile, to restore if needed..

I tried that stuff long ago, with my pc, if I dont limit the FPS it can get into the 200's I limited the FPS etc and I can get a lag/shutter just chopping a tree or standing still breaking a small rock for iron and stone. That is the most insane example of doing very little and it happening here and there as well. I am like 99% sure its the new unity having a bug or something like that.

JayzenFreeze
05-28-2017, 05:31 AM
This was posted 04-02-2015 with little to no real help. YEARS since we started asking for help. Now Gforce has 7 Days to die in the list of optimized games and showed my medium settings all go to max even distance etc Between FPS dropping bad for no reason to having high FPS and getting bad shuttering just swinging an ax pickax and more. P.S. When using gforce's optimization option for games they play as good as possible after the game checks what works best. I just cant wait for the optimizations.

ZehMatt
05-28-2017, 08:31 AM
Maybe this is related, https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?63229-A15-2(B8)-View-Sway-Bob-Smoothed

Fox
06-04-2017, 08:08 PM
Maybe this is related, https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?63229-A15-2(B8)-View-Sway-Bob-Smoothed
Ok, so after finally getting around to testing that fix... I have to say there is definitely some improvements in the stutter issues, mainly in the animations. But... there is still some stutter in movements, though it seems to be a bit more subtle and far less annoying than before. I would imagine that as long as you're not flying around like I was during testing, you might not notice it nearly as easily anymore. Yay for being able to effectively use melee weapons again.

That said... I really hope the devs see this and officially implement this fix so everyone can benefit from it with EAC enabled.

Thank you for making this fix. This is the first player made fix to actually make a big improvement in the stutter issues of the game.

DiscoHeavy
06-09-2017, 05:45 PM
I have now the same Problem, 2 weeks before it wasnt.. strange. I have now after 5-10 sec a 0,5-1 sec freeze and this hold up in MP and also SP but in SP isnt so often / lesser. it was before i updated a triber or did anything else updating.

W10
GTX 980
i7-4790k
16GB RAM
Installed on 2TB HDD

Played on Max Settings with over 100 fps, aver. around 70 in whole game. now i can Change Settings to low or high, vsync on and out, didnt Change anything. Whats that kind of Magic? (btw. some time ago, i got the same Problem, with planted mushrooms, they starting to make this issue, was also MP but i didnt was the host, after picking them up if they was ready, Magic, that issue was gone, may on this Server i am Play have same, a left mushroom bugged, cuz someone destroy it but its there... but its stay longer then 2 weeks and didnt seem to make some Problems)

hope Alpha 16 Comes early, maybe it will gone from itself again.

Xeen
06-20-2017, 10:25 AM
Okay so I had read on the forums that reducing your UMA Texture Quality from high to medium would massively impact frame performance so I reduced it and now my game stutters constantly in intervals of about 5 seconds. I changed it back to high quality and it still does it so now my game is permanently screwed.
Originally when I updated to Alpha 16 b113 before the game was ever launched I set up all my video settings and everything worked great but now no matter what I do I can't get it to stop stuttering.
Before I messed with the UMA texture setting it would stutter about once every 30 seconds instead so it wasn't nearly as noticeable and I could live with it.
I don't know if this is helpful at all but there it is.

Laz Man
06-27-2017, 07:42 PM
I have always heard fox (and others) mention this issue but never experienced it frequently until the recent B115/B119 updates. For me, my FPS reading doesn't take a hit when the problem happens. I can be walking normally and them attempt to mouse look into another direction and then its almost like my frame locks and then it magically corrects itself. The first time it happened was when I in a snow biome and it started to snow. This stutter is completely different than the one that occurs when zombies spawn in.

I do remember changing some video settings so I will play around with them to see if I can trigger the problem from stopping/happening with a particular combination.

EDIT: As a side note, I recently updated my NVIDIA shadowplay since I wanted to record some video using it. I wonder if there is any relation to this.

franksouza183
08-17-2017, 01:09 AM
I'm still getting stutter every 15 seconds on alpha 16.2 b7, no matter the settings (tried with every setting from lowest to highest)

Manjaro Linux
Installed on 240 GB SSD
i7-3770
Radeon R9 380 2GB
8GB RAM

franksouza183
08-17-2017, 01:15 AM
Sorry the duplicated post

MrBleeble
10-17-2017, 06:21 PM
I am now having this stutter issue after reaching a certain point in a savegame...it seems to have started once I placed some object (I think when I started placing wooden signs) but I can't be sure. Before, it was running fine but now when moving every 5 seconds or so I get a "frame drop" and it jerks just for a second, which is really annoying. Also there is a delay when placing blocks (I am the server) or upgrading blocks. This is in random gen. I started up a new game in Navezgane to check and it runs silky smooth.

Before I placed whatever it was, or drilled out whatever it was, or the game spawned whatever it was...things ran fine.

My specs:
Ryzen 1800x @ 4GHz
16gb
Nvidia 1080
Windows 10

Charbringer
10-23-2017, 07:21 PM
I'm having the same issue, every 5-10 seconds, my fps drops from 60 to 38 then back up to 60 causing the screen to freeze for a second, this is very frustrating especially when trying to run from animals/zombies and trying to precision jump onto blocks etc to get away. I have tried several things from ticking gl render, to disabling EAC, uninstalling geforce experience to remove any overlay, messing around with the nvidia 3d settings for the program, reinstalling with no luck. Any posts i have seen with similar threads havn't yielded any solutions for me.

My PC specs are
i7 6800k 4ghz,
msi geforce gtx 1080 gaming x 8gb,
32gb ram,
windows 10

bigstep70
10-23-2017, 07:41 PM
Im running a raw dirt-covered potato compaired to most everyone here and I see the FPS drops/stutter is UNIVERSAL.
Ive been following every and all related topics to try and fix "my" FPS issues as I thought they were PC related. (as in 'my raw potato')
I have even taken it to the point of editing the biomes.xml to remove massive (more than 50% overall) amounts of grass, small trees/shrubs, rocks, and decorations, etc, etc... yet I still get FPS lag and stutter, even in wide open desert or plains areas.

SO... I think we all just have to wait for proper optimizations/Gold release before this becomes a non-issue for everyone.

That said, I greatly enjoy the game and try to ignore the stutter as much as possible but once in a while yes there is a great deal of mouse-banging and keyboard-whakking in the hope that it will help... but Alas it does NOT. :upset:

PC specs;
to embarrassing to post
(maybe one day so everyone has a good laugh)

Fox
10-23-2017, 09:22 PM
This thread is not about FPS drops at all... so plz stop derailing it.

Sonic_Ronin
11-13-2017, 03:53 PM
400 hours played. However; only 2 of it since the 16 drop. Its not my rig though.
3 other early access titles run smooth as glass on high setting. 2 AAA titles are the
same as well. I get 95 fps solid in this game with no drop in fps.

What I do get is a stutter probably 3 or 4 of them every 10 seconds. Yes, its early access I
understand.

How about some optimization of the most basic part of the game though?

The stutter gives me motion sickness and has made the game unplayable since
16 dropped. I check back every 2 months and hope its been fixed, but nothing.
I've read about this on several forums, so I'm not the only one.

Anyone have any solid input or know if this has been acknowledged to be fixed by the
devs?

Fox
11-13-2017, 04:04 PM
Anyone have any solid input or know if this has been acknowledged to be fixed by the
devs?
Seeing as how I posted this topic during Alpha 11 release (since the new Unity engine which is the cause of it), the devs have never responded to it nor have they bothered to properly acknowledge it in any topic. Pretty sure they just don't care.

skullpoker
11-28-2017, 05:18 PM
I've seen a video on youtube that seemed to show that this is relating to different biome blocks, and specifically their blending when they intersect. Not sure how it helps anybody until the fun pimps see it and figure out how to resolve the issue.

The Lorax
12-05-2017, 11:57 PM
Hopefully this will be resolved with the latest version of Unity being implemented for A17.

From A17 thread

Every biome remastered for Unity 2017
Game Engine update to Unity 2017

DarkWestern
12-22-2017, 11:47 AM
So, this isn't something my PC really has an issue with, however, I recommended this game to a co-worker of mine, and he uninstalled the game because he could not deal with this issue.
Sad that such a great game is turning away new players with little issues like this, and nothing [seemingly] is being done about it? Some guy earlier said they just don't care, and I'm beginning to think similarly.

- - - Updated - - -

This comment is taking the fact that this has been an issue since Alpha 11 into consideration.

Cernwn
12-25-2017, 07:50 PM
I do not have this issue myself, but have seen similar issues on many PCs in other games over the years. If it is a near constant stutter/skip, it is usually indicative of a client-side HDD firmware, controller driver or motherboard clock/timing issue. If the stutter/skip is irregular or not constant, it is usually due to thermal issues, bad memory, firewall/antivirus conflicts or networking/server-side misconfiguration.

I am not making assumptions on anyones hardware here, only offering possibilities you may want to check off if using a process of elimination to troubleshoot.

silverforte
12-28-2017, 07:29 AM
I do not have this issue myself, but have seen similar issues on many PCs in other games over the years. If it is a near constant stutter/skip, it is usually indicative of a client-side HDD firmware, controller driver or motherboard clock/timing issue. If the stutter/skip is irregular or not constant, it is usually due to thermal issues, bad memory, firewall/antivirus conflicts or networking/server-side misconfiguration.

I am not making assumptions on anyones hardware here, only offering possibilities you may want to check off if using a process of elimination to troubleshoot.

This is complete nonsense. You're basically saying most people reporting this issue must have the issues you mentioned. It's pretty common knowledge that early access games never leave an "alpha" state and almost all of them have microstutter problems. If you look at a game and the tags are "sandbox" "crafting" and "survival", it's a safe bet that it has ♥♥♥♥ performance. There are many GPUs right now (and have been since launch) that have performance issues with this game. If it was based on some sort of firmware issue the motherboard clock speed, then many other games would have the exact same problem. If the hardware or firmware was to blame, it wouldn't just be this game. If I can play Fallout 4 on medium settings (vsync included) and get 60 fps most of the time with 5-10 second load screens, or GTA 5 with essentially the same performance, but get consistent microstutter in this game even with an SSD... it's the game.

This is an early access sandbox game. MANY people report performance issues and most of the stories are the same. It's the game. Saying anything else is misinformation and draws attention away from the problem which is exactly:

This game is poorly optimized. The console ports are poorly optimized and the PC version is poorly optimized. The devs are aware of it. I doubt it'll EVER get fixed. I've played many early access games (especially sandbox survival games) and I don't remember one single title that had microstuttering and ever got it fixed. This is what happens when you have smaller studios with staff who have middle-of-the-road development expertise. You end up with a good premise, maybe, but executed poorly.

Cernwn
01-03-2018, 01:46 AM
Thanks Silverforte, you have inspired my next avatar.

Good day, sir!

Wii5
11-21-2018, 07:01 AM
A year later, Alpha 17 is on its way (new engine update) and still there are the same damn problems! G-Sync is still not working properly and the stuttering hasn't disappeared! WTF!

Fox
11-21-2018, 01:15 PM
A year later, Alpha 17 is on its way (new engine update) and still there are the same damn problems! G-Sync is still not working properly and the stuttering hasn't disappeared! WTF!
Actually, it's been 3 1/2 years, if you look at the first post. This has been going on since the new engine back in Alpha 11.

Alpha 10.4 has been my favorite version of the game and I don't think it'll ever change.

hotpoon
12-12-2018, 08:21 AM
Actually, it's been 3 1/2 years, if you look at the first post. This has been going on since the new engine back in Alpha 11.

Alpha 10.4 has been my favorite version of the game and I don't think it'll ever change.

Fox, in your opinion has the micro stutter become worse than it was when originally reported a few year back? For me the A16 micro stutter was barely there and didn't bother me too much, but with A17e, I can't play for more than half an hour before I feel like throwing up.

Fox
12-12-2018, 02:24 PM
Fox, in your opinion has the micro stutter become worse than it was when originally reported a few year back? For me the A16 micro stutter was barely there and didn't bother me too much, but with A17e, I can't play for more than half an hour before I feel like throwing up.
Well, with every new major version of the game brings less optimization, so it does make the stutter issues less subtle. Unstable frame time is one of the big ones for this game, so even though your frame rate looks ok or good, it's a very inaccurate way to see how stable and smooth the gameplay is as it only shows the amount of frames per second but not the time between each frame, which means you could see 60 frames really quickly within a second but there's a half second pause during that time. I might look into finding a way to see how bad the frame time really is with every version that releases.

And yes, stutter issues did get better over the years (though never completely gone), but with A17 given how demanding on hardware it is and how it isn't at all optimized, it doesn't surprise me that stutter issues would become more noticeable again.

Jenshae
12-26-2018, 11:00 PM
System: Kernel: 4.15.0-43-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: Unity 7.4.5 Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X99-E
CPU: Hexa core Intel Core i7-5820K (-HT-MCP-) cache: 15360 KB
clock speeds: max: 4000 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Hawaii PRO [Radeon R9 390]
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.6 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: [email protected], [email protected]
GLX Renderer: AMD HAWAII (DRM 2.50.0, 4.15.0-43-generic, LLVM 7.0.1)
GLX Version: 4.5 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 19.0.0-devel (git-fc0139d 2018-12-02 xenial-oibaf-ppa)
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Hawaii HDMI Audio [Radeon R9 290/290X / 390/390X]
driver: snd_hda_intel
Card-2 Intel C610/X99 series HD Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-43-generic
Network: Card-1: Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V driver: e1000e
IF: eno1 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1740.4GB (21.9% used)
ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 model: MZ-V7E500BW size: 500.1GB (boot)
ID-2: /dev/sda model: KINGSTON_SA400S3 size: 240.1GB (cache)
(ZFS RAID):
ID-3: /dev/sdb model: ST500LX025 size: 500.1GB
ID-4: /dev/sdc model: ST500LX025 size: 500.1GB
ID-5: /dev/sdd model: ST500LX025 size: 500.1GB
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 31.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 57.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0 (water cooled)
Info: Processes: 453 Uptime: 1:43 Memory: 7829.1/64334.8MB

I have dropped from 45-60 FPS on medium - high settings down to 10-15 FPS with the absolute lowest settings. Movement lags, I can spend 10+ seconds spinning in a circle because the mouse works but the keyboard seems to have locked up. I just want to loot a bird nest but I can't until I stop walking forward.

I have completely removed the game and all its folders then reinstalled. Same problem.

Fox
12-27-2018, 01:32 AM
I have dropped from 45-60 FPS on medium - high settings down to 10-15 FPS with the absolute lowest settings. Movement lags, I can spend 10+ seconds spinning in a circle because the mouse works but the keyboard seems to have locked up. I just want to loot a bird nest but I can't until I stop walking forward.

I have completely removed the game and all its folders then reinstalled. Same problem.
Has nothing at all to do with this topic.

Cononthebarber
03-03-2019, 10:31 AM

This is the same issue I am having, but is not related to this topic, perhaps this should be moved to the thread I started https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?111666-Problem-with-control-UI