PDA

View Full Version : Food consequences

sturobhaas
11-05-2013, 06:11 PM
I was curious if we could see something that has more food consequences. What I mean is that now, if you eat something for the most part you can just eat and regain your hunger (a few places you gain or lose thirst as you eat). I also see that now if you cook wild food it can fill your hunger quicker, or you can make recipes.

What if on top of that food inherently is not safe. Say if you hunted a rabbit, and it gave you a 50 percent chance of rabies if you eat it uncooked (and maybe rabies constantly drains thirst for 10 mins straight at a higher rate or something). You could have various diseases associated with various foods. As you cook foods, and such the chances of getting a disease or negative affect would decrease. You would then also have safe to eat foods like a can of spam that acts like it does now (just makes you thirsty).

This is just an idea, but I could see this having a really cool set of consequences. You could have positive benefits come about too, maybe if you made a really healthy combined meal you get a 5 percent speed burst or something for a few mins or something like that. Maybe the positive and negative affects of food would stack too, so it would add more dynamic thought to the game. As I am playing alpha 1.1 now it seems that I don't care what food I have I just store it and eat it and then drink to regain any thirst. I'm eating venison raw, cat food, and chili with pretty much the same affect. Sometimes I have to eat more, sometimes less. The suggestion I suggest would allow a player to give thought to farming, hunting, cooking, and scavenging food in a new light and might add another dimension to the game.

Cernunos
11-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Agreed,

This is something I brought up in the "Suggestions to Increase Realism Thread.

I also wanted, as a possible addition for added realism, to bring up the possibility of whether they should require food to be prepped, fresh, or maggot-rotten or whether water would need to be made potable. A supply of bleach drops to make it safe to drink? Boiling over fire? Otherwise, toying with the possiblity of getting dysentary (sp?), parasites, food-borne illnesses..? Again, one of those elements that could add (beneficial) realism, but only if it could be executed well without dragging down the enjoyment of the gameplay.

I like the idea of rabies, or, say rabbit fever or what have you.

sturobhaas
11-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Ahh, I was looking in the forums for where this was suggested already, real tough to browse through every single message. Anyways I really think it would add another level of thought to the game.

janseno
11-05-2013, 10:44 PM
Oh no, not
rabbit fever!

Cernunos
11-05-2013, 11:08 PM
Oh no, not !

A little too "Oregon Trail" for you, eh? :) Let's throw some cholera into the mix while were at it... hehe

janseno
11-05-2013, 11:53 PM
A little too "Oregon Trail" for you, eh? :) Let's throw some cholera into the mix while were at it... hehe
hey, that actually would be a good idea, some diseases would fit into this game perfectly

Stignos
11-06-2013, 01:58 AM
Really? You want to fight all kinds of sickness in the game? I would think this would be extremely down the line since its a very complex mechanic to put in place. The one infection I would like to see is zombie infection but in a game like this where you can just suicide and respawn I don't see it having the desired effect.

sturobhaas
11-06-2013, 02:24 PM
I think you are missing the point. I don't want your character to be getting diseases left, right and center. What I want is an incentive to actually think about what you eat. So if you eat raw animal meat you should have a chance of a detriment (be it disease, a small health drop, etc). If you cook the meat, the detriment goes away and you can eat it safely. If you make a recipe out of several ingredients you create a better food option. I just know that watching people play on youtube, and even myself playing, everyone runs around with a stack of 56 potatoes or 24 venison uncooked and just eats 12 potatoes in a row. This is lame. No one is really bothering to cook, and combine and stuff. The same goes for canned food, cat food should not be healthy to eat right out of the tin, you should have to cook it first. So what I'm suggesting is that food that in real life if you ingested raw, and you probably would get very sick, then you should get sick from that in the game too. Food that is cooked should provide a basic food benefit, etc. Then what if a nicely crafted time consuming recipe that has like 8 ingredients would actually do something more, like heal health or stamina for a bit. I don't want a crazy in depth system on this as it would get pretty complicated. I don't want permanent diseases either. I just want a system in place that punishes players for eating a pile of raw potatoes, cat food, raw meats... and instead rewards them for cooking their food, and making real recipes out of it.

janseno
11-06-2013, 02:50 PM
sorry if i was trying to say
your character to be getting diseases left, right and center I was trying to say that if you get a headache or something, you have to find advil or the right medicine to fight it and there would be other diseases that you would get resulting from player actions like tetinous from punching rusty metal with your bare hands which would result in you stamina being halved or something. I wasnt trying to give everyone AIDS:disturbed:

sturobhaas
11-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Ha, I wasn't commenting on your particular comment janseno. I was commenting on the whole trend of the thread. I started this thread with an idea that would punish or reward people from eating food. I want to just keep the topic on topic of what I started. Which is proposing an idea to have a system that rewards players for cooking and making recipes for food, and punishes them for walking around eating 27 venison raw.

janseno
11-06-2013, 03:04 PM
my bad srry

Stignos
11-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Ha, I wasn't commenting on your particular comment janseno. I was commenting on the whole trend of the thread. I started this thread with an idea that would punish or reward people from eating food. I want to just keep the topic on topic of what I started. Which is proposing an idea to have a system that rewards players for cooking and making recipes for food, and punishes them for walking around eating 27 venison raw.

Ok I see your point much better, I agree it would make the game that much more realistic, which I am always happy to see. But even if this does happen, just don't expect it any time soon, this could be something done after the debs complete their list of goals achieved in Kickstarter.

Eichi
11-15-2013, 05:12 PM
I'm sure they are planing something like this. as they stated in kickstarter-video the purity of food will be important.

Anubis
11-15-2013, 08:30 PM
great idea!!!