PDA

View Full Version : Fully connected sewer/subway syetem for random gen cities.

Slaan
09-25-2015, 11:46 PM
**Edit 29-3-16**

The first set of the new custom cityblocks are ready for Alpha 14!

They are still considered a work-in-progress but I decided now would be a good time to get them out while people are prepping their new saves for a fresh A14 start.

They are mostly a copy/paste of the 'old' system with the addition of a new tunnel system running directly beneath the roads (with added manholes!) and an extended tunnel system in the lower water way. There are currently 5 tiles in this set and I do intend to release some more with a couple of alternative surface layers and some duplicates of the current surface layers with additional rotations (tracks runnin north to south instead of just east to west)

Video tour (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep-PJ7zAi8s)

Custom Cityblock series (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9sTVdq0AcMGKhdOi-Q5EiVmdI9BF3w6Z)

Death By zombie edition (https://www.dropbox.com/s/97jh9pn846k1w29/Cityblocks%20v4.%20Death%20by%20zombie%20edition.z ip?dl=0) Dropbox

Gluten free edition (https://www.dropbox.com/s/abd2xx1kmoqqr5b/Cityblocks%20v4.%20Gluten%20free%20edition%20%28no %20zombies%29.zip?dl=0) Dropbox (no zombie spawns)

The following is what I've been testing the past couple of days, it will setup your center wasteland hub to be an 8 x 8 sized city with a reasonable mix of compo pack 18 prefabs that interfere as little as possible with the tunnel system, expect some clipping issues, but all tunnels should be accessible. Using this mixer will only add the custom sewers to the center hub.

Compo pack 18 modified rwgmixer (https://www.dropbox.com/s/15nd6fm9o45ecz1/rwgmixer%20compo%20pack%2018.xml?dl=0)

To add the set manually to ALL cities, simply replace the vanilla cityblock entries with:

<prefab_rule name="cityBlocks">
<prefab name="x_custom_cityblock_bridgetile" min_count="15" max_count="15"/>
<prefab name="x_custom_cityblock_sewerentrance" min_count="15" max_count="15"/>
<prefab name="x_custom_cityblock_topstation" min_count="8" max_count="8"/>
<prefab name="x_custom_cityblock_tracks" min_count="18" max_count="18"/>
<prefab name="x_custom_cityblock_stationEW" min_count="8" max_count="8"/>
</prefab_rule>

The min/max counts will need to be adjusted depending on the size of the hub/city, these values I quite like within the 8x8 but theres no reason you can't add/remove whatever you like.

Known issues:

Some layers are clipped out by prefabs depending on the lot they spawn in and/or rotation
Some city prefabs make a horrible mess of the tunnels
"I can't see ♥♥♥♥♥ in those tunnels" : welcome to the real world, they are a very eerie and spooky system to explore now. If you're a real man and playing with the death by zombie set, they are also quite deadly!

A14 has seen 'some' performance loss when using this new set, it may be because of all the additional content/water added, but even with minimum settings ( reduced view distance still biggest performace increase in the city) Im still hovering around 30fps and getting regular stuttering.

As usual, all feedback is welcome and greatly appreciated. In particular the performance loss is quite worrying and I'd really like to hear peoples thoughts in that regard. I have an emergency backup plan that will take time to execute, basically removing large chunks of the old system from each tile but I would like to avoid seriously messing the tunnels up as they are really starting to take a decent shape.

h0tr0d
09-25-2015, 11:57 PM
That is impressive work. I'll check this out tonight; hope it works as intended and will let you know what happens.

Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- "Impressive. Most impressive. Obi-Wan has taught you well."

Slaan
09-26-2015, 12:00 AM
it works, but i do mention in my blog some of the issues with structural integrity in some areas, when you peek below the surface in DM you get an idea for the size of the area that has been dug out, somthing i did not account for... won't take too long to fix if it proves terrible, but inital testing in a large city has not been 'too bad' yet...

h0tr0d
09-26-2015, 12:25 AM
it works, but i do mention in my blog some of the issues with structural integrity in some areas, when you peek below the surface in DM you get an idea for the size of the area that has been dug out, somthing i did not account for... won't take too long to fix if it proves terrible, but inital testing in a large city has not been 'too bad' yet...

Ah, gotcha. Going to insert support pillars as you would find in a train station?

Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- a pillar of the community

stallionsden
09-26-2015, 12:32 AM
does this work with compo pack 8. or is that only your sewer system

or can you have both sewer and subway or.

argeos
09-26-2015, 12:33 AM
I already have the "sewerCityTile" lines... are they compatible or should I replace the full cityBlocks entry with your lines?

Slaan
09-26-2015, 12:45 AM
treat these as a new mod and replace any old code. As far as im concerned, the compo pack has become my 'vanilla game' and I will always try and build with that in mind.

However...

These city blocks occupy a lot of the space between the prefabs, and there is a lot of clipping. Most of it is not so bad, kind of adds to the run down look, some of it however does look a bit odd. I have modified the vast majority of the prefabs in the compo pack I use on the test server atm to build my city hub with so they fit in a bit better, lined up pathways, replaced some ground layer details. The longer term goal is to release the cityhub and its mixer/groups as its own little pack, with the edited prefabs re-named and available too so they can be used alongside the compo pack without issue if people choose.

@Hotrod

The sewer part itself i think is ok and more or less complete. The subway is literally a hot of the press first pass and should really be considered a work-in-progress, I will modify my post to include this as its only just occurred to me now =S. Im still undecided on a less bland pattern to use, so functionality first then later on, maybe with inspiration (more than likely thats what starts me on buildathons!) but I have a feeling that support will have to be addressed sooner rather than later.

h0tr0d
09-26-2015, 12:53 AM
Someone had done an underground train station a while back for Navezgane. I think it may have been based on Gravetown in Navezgane; did you use these as references?

Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- we come with references

Laz Man
09-26-2015, 02:04 AM
Hi slaan, awesome job with this. I am certain it took you a lot of hours to bring everything together. I specifically like the idea about the interchangeable city blocks. Some real thinking outside of the box on that one.

If you need any prefab help let me know.

Slaan
09-26-2015, 12:08 PM
Someone had done an underground train station a while back for Navezgane. I think it may have been based on Gravetown in Navezgane; did you use these as references?

This whole idea spawned from the original navesgane pack that had the sewers beneath diersville and the wastecity. I still use the graveyard station from the compo pack and I had often thought on how to modify that and the water plant to connect to the system somehow. The graveyard station feels more like an intercity station tho, its upper promenade reminds me of the waiting area in Newcastle airport where all the food stalls/stittin areas are. The station has toilets and many other features that one day I hope to intergrate into my system.

Before the beautifying can begin tho, I want to make sure the foundations are actually stable enough to build on lol, spinning 11 blocks from two base tiles is gonna be an awesome amount of edit time in the hals editor, so I will try and collect the worst problems and bugs together for a week or two before addressing it further.

@laz I love cityblocks, they can really add somthing to a hub when designed to, and the best part is, they interfere very little with the work people have already done on the 'topside' prefabs. Nothing stopping people who want to copy/pasta the base intersection or stationEW, chopping the surface layer and re-skinning it in red, white and water aisa theme.... or leaving the surface area and changing the subway or sewer section itself, train crash, exploded tunnel, subway cart storage hub, heck even a prefab thats not related to the system at all could still be joined to it via a broken wall or small tunnel, they can all be connected seamlessly.

Best of all, theres still a ton of space to be used up...

Matite
09-26-2015, 01:01 PM
Really nice work... thanks!

:)

h0tr0d
09-27-2015, 02:55 AM
Sent ya a PM Slaan.

Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- The PM of Navezgane

JaxTeller718
09-27-2015, 03:01 AM
This whole idea spawned from the original navesgane pack that had the sewers beneath diersville and the wastecity. I still use the graveyard station from the compo pack and I had often thought on how to modify that and the water plant to connect to the system somehow. The graveyard station feels more like an intercity station tho, its upper promenade reminds me of the waiting area in Newcastle airport where all the food stalls/stittin areas are. The station has toilets and many other features that one day I hope to intergrate into my system.

Before the beautifying can begin tho, I want to make sure the foundations are actually stable enough to build on lol, spinning 11 blocks from two base tiles is gonna be an awesome amount of edit time in the hals editor, so I will try and collect the worst problems and bugs together for a week or two before addressing it further.

@laz I love cityblocks, they can really add somthing to a hub when designed to, and the best part is, they interfere very little with the work people have already done on the 'topside' prefabs. Nothing stopping people who want to copy/pasta the base intersection or stationEW, chopping the surface layer and re-skinning it in red, white and water aisa theme.... or leaving the surface area and changing the subway or sewer section itself, train crash, exploded tunnel, subway cart storage hub, heck even a prefab thats not related to the system at all could still be joined to it via a broken wall or small tunnel, they can all be connected seamlessly.

Best of all, theres still a ton of space to be used up...

im guessing that pack you speak of wouldnt work on 12.5 or with navezgane project. i would love that

h0tr0d
09-27-2015, 03:09 AM
It might, all Navezgane does is establish everything by fixed locations versus being randomly generated.

What Slaan did it modify the city blocks and didn't affect the space the above ground prefabs include.

I don't see why any prefab in Navezgane couldn't be generated within a RWG world if the .xml was done correctly.

Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- did you know "Navezgane" is an anagram for "A Zen Vegan"?

Slaan
09-27-2015, 09:40 AM
im guessing that pack you speak of wouldnt work on 12.5 or with navezgane project. i would love that

I'm talking really old, around alpha 8 I believe was the time we were looking at it, it was defo before random gen was released. I've not looked at the navezgane project personally (or naxezgane much at all since random gen) but it sounds very similar. I know that the spawning of prefabs was slightly different (maybe easier) as you could set the X/Y/Z location on a fixed size map, there was a spreadsheet floating around that showed the locations people had already built in to prevent others from over lapping their work.

Slaan
10-06-2015, 03:44 PM
I have no idea how many people are using these cityblocks, but the time is approaching to sit down with them again and start the second pass of major edits/changes/tweaks.

I've spoken with some people and tried to answer questions, the general response to them has been quite positive but I have have had very little in the form of true constructive criticism. Looking at the sub-city network as just that, its much more than just a sewer/subway set of prefabs which can and will offer much more to the city gameplay as the idea is developed.

What I'm planning in the second pass:

1, Stations and the subway entrances. The subway tunnels are very plain, not sure on a pattern or approach that does not copy the sewers but the subway platforms in the tunnels will get their facelift. Not sure how to do the ground level entrances, space is very tight (5 wide area is safe, 7 wide area can be used but the extra layer on each side may be clipped), will make them look 'better'

2, Subway carts. They will get some touch ups in detail, flanges all around

3, Sewers. Prepping the tunnels and 'other areas' for underwater exploration (sounds way cooler than few extra flooded rooms/tunnels)

What I'm planning post A13
1, traffic. With the new cars comming in 13, I will build traffic into the cityblocks roads themselves, I'll do this after I 've edited the master blocks with all the different surface types to give as many random combinations as possible.

2, Underwater areas. There is some serious potential to be had with this. Imagine the stormdrains flooding the lower sewer tunnel when it rains! and they talk of a flooded house in their blog... think bigger!

If theres anything you would like to see, (city prefab that is destroyed down to sewer?) now is the time to say somthing. Anthing from the surface to all 44 underground layers, ideas on layouts, new surface types, mini prefabs to add, think it would look better green? I bet each person who used them has at least one thing they wish was different or 'better'.

7daysguy
10-06-2015, 05:26 PM
1. I'm concerned that the lack of zombies in the sewers just make make them a "cool" safe place to hang out.

2. I like the sewers but the above ground tracks don't make a lot of sense when they start and stop randomly, or there's a really short section in a really small city

3. Any way to get the destroyed stone surface back instead of the grass?

4. Train wreck looks eh... kinda amateurish. A full train would probably look better instead of the simulated destruction. I think I would be happier with the sewers and no above ground stuff except for entrances.

5. Good work, cool mod. :)

Slaan
10-07-2015, 01:31 PM
1. I'm concerned that the lack of zombies in the sewers just make make them a "cool" safe place to hang out.

2. I like the sewers but the above ground tracks don't make a lot of sense when they start and stop randomly, or there's a really short section in a really small city

3. Any way to get the destroyed stone surface back instead of the grass?

4. Train wreck looks eh... kinda amateurish. A full train would probably look better instead of the simulated destruction. I think I would be happier with the sewers and no above ground stuff except for entrances.

5. Good work, cool mod. :)

1, Your not the first to bring this up and it is something I've deliberately left out atm. As my personal use for them is our urban survival theme (mentioned in the blog), I was a little hesitant to go with zombies from the start as we are in the process of making changes to the zombies on our server and part of those changes is knowing we have an 'undead safe zone' running beneath the city. When I start the second pass of changes there is a good chance I will copy and modify a set of cityblocks that use the vanilla surface layers (destroyed stone/empty space) to include zombie spawns too, so at least there would be an option if thats what people want.

2, the first set of tiles I made had nothing but some built up brick walls, the raised train tracks came later as I was struggling to create excuses for making higher raised platforms that stand alone from the prefabs that spawn within the city. I personally believe the parkour playstyle that you can get while bounding up onto the extra walls or using the tracks to get onto roofs etc is pretty good, however theres no way to have a full train system going on in the seamless way the subway works...unless every citytile was designed with surface tracks in mind that would connect on all sides (or if we had a way to choose/edit the areas the prefabs spawn on within the city tile itself then things can get really interesting)

3, as mentioned in 1, I will at the very least add the sewers beneath the vanilla cityblocks for those who prefer. Personally I will use these blocks to add sewers to the wasty city hubs magoli created in his compo pack to keep the worn down destroyed look. It also means the wasteland city hub will look very unique.

4, amateurish is being generous ;). they were rushed, I will replace the trains with the much better built subway carts (once they themselves have been shown some loving). Till these changes get done, you can tweak the code in your mixer to not use the blocks you dont like.

5, thanks! and thanks some more for the feedback, although I do have my personal agenda, I am genuinely interested in what people think and will work towards creating alternatives where they are preferred.

I should mention tho, I dont plan any changes for at least two more weeks, Im pretty busy irl this week and have some holiday time comming up. Hopefully I can get somthing done pre-A13, if not then there will be a major overhaul asap.

Laz Man
10-07-2015, 06:17 PM
You can add zombies in the sewers via Hals editor. :)

Slaan
10-23-2015, 06:39 PM
Here is the next set of cityblocks, with the connected sewer/subway system set beneath the vanilla rg_waste prefabs.

Dropbox (https://www.dropbox.com/s/fblx5thqab1rdyg/Vanilla%20set%20V2.zip?dl=0)

Zombie spawns have been added, all four tiles have their own set, different things in different layers in different parts!

Hub layout code has too much potential to replace traditional cities, or main/center one at least so I won't be updating the original 11 tiles, they are compatible and can be added alongside this release but do not have the updated interiors/zombies.

From this point on these four 'vanilla' tiles will be a continued work in progress as the game updates, I'm just looking at new ways to build a city and dont want to waste too much time on things I may not use later.

as usual, feedback is appreciated and feel free to modify any of these 'mods' in any way you'd like.

vaustein
12-16-2015, 07:30 AM
Would you please update the connected sewers & subway for A13 compatibility? Also, is there an option not to have zombie spawns within the subway and sewers?

argeos
12-16-2015, 12:53 PM
Yes, please have it updated for A13 !

Slaan
12-16-2015, 02:05 PM
Good news is, the original 6 tiles are converted for 13 massive thanks to magoli, i chewed his ears for almost 40 mins last night before manually updating my personal collection (230 prefabs). There are a few edits and updates I would like to make for the new editions, mainly waiting for the editor for these.

My next couple nights will be correcting stuff, once the editor is updated with the bbb commands working, I will give them a proper facelift which will take maybe another 4-5 hours. Trust me when I say I want these finished ASAP, but as this will be the last version of this particular style of prefab set that I will build/update I would like to see them off with a decent make-over, much bigger (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197978747455/screenshot/644375927096548446) fish to fry once these are out of the way...

vaustein
12-17-2015, 03:38 AM
Waiting for the editor? Out of curiosity, do you mean an editor released by TFP?

vaustein
12-19-2015, 06:18 PM
Trust me when I say I want these finished ASAP, but as this will be the last version of this particular style of prefab set that I will build/update I would like to see them off with a decent make-over, much bigger (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197978747455/screenshot/644375927096548446) fish to fry once these are out of the way...

If I wanted to apply your last release to my current A13 private server, would it be as simple as opening each prefab in an editor and saving it?

Slaan
12-19-2015, 10:10 PM
If I wanted to apply your last release to my current A13 private server, would it be as simple as opening each prefab in an editor and saving it?

The A12 cityblocks main offending blocks are concrete and pipes, theres a few others but not a huge amount compared to some other prefabs. All the changed/removed ID blocks need fixing, now magoli has shared the list he created so I was able to convert them all manually but there are still some errors and minor tweaks to be sorted out before I will re-release them.

Now the the short answer is no, it's a reasonably simple process once you wrap you head around the method but it is far from simple if you are not familiar with the editor/never used it before. I consider myself reasonably proficient with the editor and I made a few 'mistakes' working through the list that luckily I was able to easily spot and correct but I think there is still plenty margin for nasty errors if your still just testing the water...

Slaan
12-22-2015, 08:26 PM
Enjoy folks, lemme know of any issues, I've had literally an hour or to play test with them

Slaan
12-22-2015, 11:17 PM
Played around a bit more and getting bashed to death from the console spam, another version without the zombie spawns inc soon.

Using the editor to do a remove all entities pass on each cityblock has removed the error spam completely, however

<prefab name="x_custom_subwaycitytile_intersection_tunnel_a13"/>

causes hals editor to have a heart attack and I get an error, not sure what exactly but it shows no entities yet im still seeing crawlers in the sewer, it's currently removed from my test mixer and the map is currently working without errors consistently, it may be a temporary fix for any issues you may have atm till i get time to look some more.

adding another link in first post to the four cityblocks that work and have been zombie purged

h0tr0d
12-28-2015, 06:56 AM
So these

<prefab name="x_custom_subwaycitytile_stationEW_a13"/>
<prefab name="x_custom_subwaycitytile_intersection_bridge_a13"/>
<prefab name="x_custom_subwaycitytile_intersection_tracks_depo_a 13"/>
<!--<prefab name="x_custom_subwaycitytile_intersection_tunnel_a13"/>--> <!--disabled-->
<prefab name="x_custom_subwaycitytile_intersection_tracks_statio n_a13"/>
</prefab_rule>

replace all of these:

<prefab name="x_custom_subwayCityTile_intersection_quartered" min_count="1"/>
<prefab name="x_custom_subwayCityTile_stationEW_quartered" min_count="1"/>
<prefab name="x_custom_subwayCityTile_stationEW_rot1_quartered" min_count="1"/>
<prefab name="x_custom_subwayCityTile_intersection_bridge" min_count="1"/>
<prefab name="x_custom_subwayCityTile_intersection_subway" min_count="1"/>
<prefab name="x_custom_subwayCityTile_intersection_tracks_depo" min_count="1"/>
<prefab name="x_custom_subwayCityTile_intersection_tracks_depo_r ot1" min_count="1"/>
<prefab name="x_custom_subwayCityTile_intersection_tracks_statio n" min_count="1"/>
<prefab name="x_custom_subwayCityTile_intersection_tracks_statio n_rot1" min_count="1"/>
<prefab name="x_custom_subwayCityTile_intersection_tracks_wreck" min_count="1"/>
<prefab name="x_custom_subwayCityTile_intersection_tracks_wreck_ rot1" min_count="1"/>

or are the others still good, no rotation needed?

Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- we spin you right round baby (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGNiXGX2nLU)

Slaan
12-28-2015, 12:38 PM
I removed all the old links bud, but yeah.

Like I mentioned the min/max values will depend what you prefer more of and can be tweaked manually if really needed. I'm still not sure what the problem with the prefab I have commented out is, but the other four seem to work ok and I've managed to build back up a cityhub using compo pack and get it back to 824,824 without fragmenting all over the place lol.

On a side note if people are working on citys, I found that using the wastelandHub entries to spawn my cities was sometimes bugging out, I had several where I got buildings but no city blocks, or in some cases nothing at all. I have since created custom cell/hub/prefab rules and it 'seems' ok now after rolling 5-6 more.

h0tr0d
12-28-2015, 07:25 PM
I removed all the old links bud, but yeah.

Like I mentioned the min/max values will depend what you prefer more of and can be tweaked manually if really needed. I'm still not sure what the problem with the prefab I have commented out is, but the other four seem to work ok and I've managed to build back up a cityhub using compo pack and get it back to 824,824 without fragmenting all over the place lol.

On a side note if people are working on citys, I found that using the wastelandHub entries to spawn my cities was sometimes bugging out, I had several where I got buildings but no city blocks, or in some cases nothing at all. I have since created custom cell/hub/prefab rules and it 'seems' ok now after rolling 5-6 more.

yeah wasteland_hub causes issues for me as well with getting prefabs to generate.

Blah!

Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- blah blah

xXC.H.U.DXx
01-10-2016, 02:24 AM
Hey Slaan
Just wanted to KNow if the Sewer system was working properly.
i got the the Prefab pack and im building a 20 man PVE server (Whitelist)
With alot of Other FUn stuff from other Modders
Im testing everything and making sure its balanced

A link would be great if so...WOuld love to test it

stallionsden
01-10-2016, 03:45 AM
Hey Slaan
Just wanted to KNow if the Sewer system was working properly.
i got the the Prefab pack and im building a 20 man PVE server (Whitelist)
With alot of Other FUn stuff from other Modders
Im testing everything and making sure its balanced

A link would be great if so...WOuld love to test it

Yes this is working great and works with the compo pack

xXC.H.U.DXx
01-10-2016, 04:06 AM
Yes this is working great and works with the compo pack

Thank you for your Feedback.So i guess i follow the instructions on the first post and go from there
Thanks again...Happy hunting

stallionsden
01-10-2016, 08:07 AM
Thank you for your Feedback.So i guess i follow the instructions on the first post and go from there
Thanks again...Happy hunting

Yes :-). This adds so much to the compo pack its a awesome addition :-) Nothing better then living in the sewers and ducking up to the surface to scavenge.

Slaan
01-10-2016, 01:41 PM
I was using something similar to what stompyNZ posted for zombie spawns, basically a 0 delay on daytime respawns. Have to admit it's a cheap and nasty fix, but actually having to duck below the surface or go building hopping to loose the zombies is actually pretty fun. We thought it was cool having stuff to pew pew, then we were out of ammo and the heat hordes were still pouring in, our noise and gunshots would agro the constantly regular spawns... it got pretty crazy pretty fast and we realised that we had to work a lot harder and be more quiet when comming and going (we made one of peppino's skyscrapers our home in the middle of a city).

Now the compo pack is taking good shape for 13.6 Ill probably take a more thorough look into the tiles with entity spawns on them and see what can be done about mixing them into the 'plain' ones to try keep Z spawns up a bit as thats a common complaint on the server atm.

xXC.H.U.DXx
01-10-2016, 07:38 PM
Having trouble getting it to load so far..getting errors...THis is my First Time doing this stuff..SO maybe its just me..But i have to learn some how.
Just to make sure..Where do i put the Folder i Downloaded?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes :-). This adds so much to the compo pack its a awesome addition :-) Nothing better then living in the sewers and ducking up to the surface to scavenge.

I hope they Fix the Zombie spawn soon...I want the sewers to be just as dangerous..maybe even more Zeds and maybe a way for them to get out instead of digging their way out
it should be very dark in there all the time...Headlamps and stuff are important

I also Assume the Subway Prefabs make it so Zeds can RUn in and out of the Sewers?
They wont get stuck down there?

stallionsden
01-10-2016, 09:43 PM
Having trouble getting it to load so far..getting errors...THis is my First Time doing this stuff..SO maybe its just me..But i have to learn some how.
Just to make sure..Where do i put the Folder i Downloaded?

- - - Updated - - -

I hope they Fix the Zombie spawn soon...I want the sewers to be just as dangerous..maybe even more Zeds and maybe a way for them to get out instead of digging their way out
it should be very dark in there all the time...Headlamps and stuff are important

I also Assume the Subway Prefabs make it so Zeds can RUn in and out of the Sewers?
They wont get stuck down there?

Copy and paste the prefabs into the game prefabs. Then open game rwgmixer and copy what is on the first post of this thread. Find cityblocks in this sub will be 4 rubble name prefabs copy over that

xXC.H.U.DXx
01-10-2016, 10:37 PM
Copy and paste the prefabs into the game prefabs. Then open game rwgmixer and copy what is on the first post of this thread. Find cityblocks in this sub will be 4 rubble name prefabs copy over that

Got it to work..Only problem i have now is when (I) go into the city it stops generating then i crash sometimes other times my Cursor disappears.I think this a Game bug anyways?......Other then that it works perfect and i see the subways

Seems to eat all my Ram up instantly also..anybody even experience that?
And does everybody that plays have to Have this on their PC also?
I7 CPU
2g video card
8gs ram

stallionsden
01-10-2016, 10:40 PM
Got it to work..Only problem i have now is when (I) go into the city it stops generating then i crash sometimes other times my Cursor disappears.I think this a Game bug anyways?......Other then that it works perfect and i see the subways

Seems to eat all my Ram up instantly also..anybody even experience that?

I7 CPU
2g video card
8gs ram

when your in the city press m and look at elevation.

if under 30 elevation the sewers system unfort dont spawn but the game still reads it as I found out when making the Mega City. I had to decrease the depth of the sewers and it all spawns now no matter the elevation. fix is to try another seed until you get one that has a good elevation

Unfortunately this is a thing for 13.6 where as prior the game spawned a level bedrock and there was always enough room for the sewers.

xXC.H.U.DXx
01-10-2016, 11:01 PM
The sewer spawned just fine..it was the ground around me stop and i would get a console error..then i could run to the area not spawned and fall off the world...Seem to eat up all my ram too

this the same error i got too

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/357273736834790899/A02148674F1612ECA94313E7F5C9EC9B532DB42B/

stallionsden
01-10-2016, 11:18 PM
The sewer spawned just fine..it was the ground around me stop and i would get a console error..then i could run to the area not spawned and fall off the world...Seem to eat up all my ram too

this the same error i got too

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/357273736834790899/A02148674F1612ECA94313E7F5C9EC9B532DB42B/

Did you over write the cityblocks in the rwgmixer and the correct ones. Maybe ul your output.log and rwgmixer for us to see the problem

xXC.H.U.DXx
01-10-2016, 11:24 PM
I didn't Change mine on my PC..i logged into a Friends made world..DO i need to Have it in mine too?
Noob at heart.....

stallionsden
01-11-2016, 12:00 AM
I didn't Change mine on my PC..i logged into a Friends made world..DO i need to Have it in mine too?
Noob at heart.....

Not that i am aware. The server should push the config files except xui's. Maybe ask him if he gets the error. If so ask him to provide the server output.log and rwgmixer and we can have a look

xXC.H.U.DXx
01-11-2016, 12:31 AM
Well i loaded it into my Files and i went to 0,0 and didn't even find a City LOL...yeah i think i messed something up...I will ask him if i see him again..he is AFK lately alot.which is why im working on it myself

xXC.H.U.DXx
01-11-2016, 12:52 AM
ok good news i got too work right with no crashes but some of the lots are bare...i'm using Compopack15 (for Alpha 13.6)....When we loaded it the first time there was A ton of different buildings in the city.Not sure if i did something wrong in the Xml?

stallionsden
01-11-2016, 01:33 AM
ok good news i got too work right with no crashes but some of the lots are bare...i'm using Compopack15 (for Alpha 13.6)....When we loaded it the first time there was A ton of different buildings in the city.Not sure if i did something wrong in the Xml?

Compo pack is now v16. Try pack16 and see if that fixes things

vaustein
01-13-2016, 02:22 AM
Hi Slaan,

Is there any chance that "x_custom_subwaycitytile_intersection_tunnel_a13" will be converted to a13 and included in your prefab pack? The steel-walled tunnel leading past a turnstile down to the subway was one of my favorite prefabs in a12.

Slaan
01-14-2016, 01:04 PM
I will look at them, I slighty tweaked the naming system when I done the A13 conversions. _intersection_ means that subway level tunnels form a + shaped cross on that particular tile. The prefab <prefab name="x_custom_subwaycitytile_stationEW_a13"/> I believe is the one your looking for. (_station_EW_) being the reference to their being subway station instead of the intersection tunnel.

Now this did just make me remember, I was having an issue where only 3 of the 4 cityblocks were being used in a massive city, even setting a min_count="1" does not garunte it will use all of the tiles at least once. In a city that spawned exactly 100 city blocks (10 x 10) I went with max count=25 on each, and it worked, but spawned 25 of each cityblock before moving on so all the subway stations were stacked in rows then the bridge..... etc.

In A12 I would have set the subway station tiles to a min/max of maybe 8 and leave the rest on a min count of 1, used to work like a charm but not so well now. I'm due to be messing with our servers rwgmixer again, I'll play around with some different things and maybe amend the code in the first post If I can do anything better. I'd also reccomend checking out the mega city thread, stallion has been working lots with vanilla style city hubs recently and may have made some breakthru I dont know of.

stallionsden
01-14-2016, 01:11 PM
I will look at them, I slighty tweaked the naming system when I done the A13 conversions. _intersection_ means that subway level tunnels form a + shaped cross on that particular tile. The prefab <prefab name="x_custom_subwaycitytile_stationEW_a13"/> I believe is the one your looking for. (_station_EW_) being the reference to their being subway station instead of the intersection tunnel.

Now this did just make me remember, I was having an issue where only 3 of the 4 cityblocks were being used in a massive city, even setting a min_count="1" does not garunte it will use all of the tiles at least once. In a city that spawned exactly 100 city blocks (10 x 10) I went with max count=25 on each, and it worked, but spawned 25 of each cityblock before moving on so all the subway stations were stacked in rows then the bridge..... etc.

In A12 I would have set the subway station tiles to a min/max of maybe 8 and leave the rest on a min count of 1, used to work like a charm but not so well now. I'm due to be messing with our servers rwgmixer again, I'll play around with some different things and maybe amend the code in the first post If I can do anything better. I'd also reccomend checking out the mega city thread, stallion has been working lots with vanilla style city hubs recently and may have made some breakthru I dont know of.

For the mega city i used min_count="100" on each and they all spawn

vaustein
01-30-2016, 02:07 AM
Slaan, have you pretty much quit working on the mod at this point? Between the mod-breaking updates and the lack of good publicly-available editing tools, TFP seem determined to frustrate modders, if not outright discourage them. If I could simply "recompile" your sewer+subway prefabs myself, I'd happily spare you the trouble.

Slaan
01-30-2016, 05:28 PM
Slaan, have you pretty much quit working on the mod at this point? Between the mod-breaking updates and the lack of good publicly-available editing tools, TFP seem determined to frustrate modders, if not outright discourage them. If I could simply "recompile" your sewer+subway prefabs myself, I'd happily spare you the trouble.

Im fairly busy with project slaanhatten atm, if you want to fix them up/mod them, by all means feel free. I keep saying I'm gonna come back to them and some day I might, but I'm moving away from the vanilla style city atm so that 'day' may never happen lol.

Other than the initial '5th cityblock' that was commented out, are there any particular issues with them atm? Adding and testing them with zombies spawning in certain areas of the subway/sewer was always one thing I 'intended' to look at, but other than the clipping>not spawning issues I was under them impression they were working ok.

stallionsden
01-31-2016, 02:07 AM
Hhe this should be in prefabs haha. Lets see how long we can keep this on in here tho :-P..

Slaan I think the issue with the sewer/subway is the elevation. As StompyNZ noticed when the city spawns the elevation can be anywhere from -19 to +156 etc.

However, the sewer system is 30 deep. Thus when the elevation range of the city is below 30 the sewer system doesnt spawn however, the city still thinks it is there making all prefabs float 1 block off the ground and invisible sewer/subway. I in the end edited the sewer system myself removing as much as possible that was not part of the actual system. So the sewer system sat approx 1 - 3 blocks under instead of the 30. This now spawns in any elevation.

Unfortunately I had to remove the entrance to train station, which I really did not want to do but no choice. But yeh this elevation thing is annoying, since prior to a13 the elevation was great. But the bedrock was set to a set level and the terrain would always be enough room for the system and others that went below ground.

Other then the above everything is great, they line up they are not misrotated etc. My whole city is covered and you can get anywhere and everywhere using your great sewer/subway system.

vaustein
01-31-2016, 06:13 AM
Unfortunately I had to remove the entrance to train station

@stallionsden, do you have an alpha13-compatible build of the entrance to the train station prefab? If so, would you be willing to provide it for download? I'd like to try it on my private server.

stallionsden
01-31-2016, 10:07 AM
@stallionsden, do you have an alpha13-compatible build of the entrance to the train station prefab? If so, would you be willing to provide it for download? I'd like to try it on my private server.

its the same one as in the dl. Unless your talking bout my edited sewer/subway system. But that one dont have the entrance to train station as mentioned in above post all have to be 1 - 3 blocks under surface for it to spawn when the elevation range (found when you press (m). ) thus the entrance to train station is gone. However if you download Slaans one it is the original and it has the entrance still.

Slaan
01-31-2016, 10:39 AM
Hhe this should be in prefabs haha. Lets see how long we can keep this on in here tho :-P..

Slaan I think the issue with the sewer/subway is the elevation. As StompyNZ noticed when the city spawns the elevation can be anywhere from -19 to +156 etc.

However, the sewer system is 30 deep. Thus when the elevation range of the city is below 30 the sewer system doesnt spawn however, the city still thinks it is there making all prefabs float 1 block off the ground and invisible sewer/subway. I in the end edited the sewer system myself removing as much as possible that was not part of the actual system. So the sewer system sat approx 1 - 3 blocks under instead of the 30. This now spawns in any elevation.

Unfortunately I had to remove the entrance to train station, which I really did not want to do but no choice. But yeh this elevation thing is annoying, since prior to a13 the elevation was great. But the bedrock was set to a set level and the terrain would always be enough room for the system and others that went below ground.

Other then the above everything is great, they line up they are not misrotated etc. My whole city is covered and you can get anywhere and everywhere using your great sewer/subway system.

The main reason I did not adjust the depth of the sewers is because there is no room to spare unless you want to clip into certain prefabs basements. Off the top of my head the plant and the citymix with the subway station are the main offenders, but depending how many layers you remove then others could creep in too, ofc if you can live with that then thats cool, I just didnt want to build something that craps on something else (even tho the city prefabs clip some layers of the cityblocks without mercy!).

The entrance to the subway station (i assume you mean the crude escalators) I would have to rebuild according to the adjusted height, and personally I would rather flip the seed to find a good city that spawns than do without them as they are the only natural way to enter the sub-system without having to drill through a 'manhole' (lol).

However, like I keep saying people are more than welcome to do as they please, I may or may not adjust them at a later date, until then chop em, enjoy em, do whatever, I'm just as interested now seeing what people will do with the idea as I was when I released them first version!

Slaan
01-31-2016, 10:44 AM

Haha you just jealous because I can still edit my first post here!!

stallionsden
01-31-2016, 10:49 AM
Haha you just jealous because I can still edit my first post here!!

Grrrr ya got me lol..... SOOOOO NOOOOOOTTTTTT FAIR lol haha... Lol but yeh i can see tho the prefab folder having like 50 of the same prefabs which is gonna clutter it all up and confuse people but i have passed that part on to malthis whom is gonna get onto MM boout it lol

stallionsden
01-31-2016, 10:52 AM
The main reason I did not adjust the depth of the sewers is because there is no room to spare unless you want to clip into certain prefabs basements. Off the top of my head the plant and the citymix with the subway station are the main offenders, but depending how many layers you remove then others could creep in too, ofc if you can live with that then thats cool, I just didnt want to build something that craps on something else (even tho the city prefabs clip some layers of the cityblocks without mercy!).

The entrance to the subway station (i assume you mean the crude escalators) I would have to rebuild according to the adjusted height, and personally I would rather flip the seed to find a good city that spawns than do without them as they are the only natural way to enter the sub-system without having to drill through a 'manhole' (lol).

However, like I keep saying people are more than welcome to do as they please, I may or may not adjust them at a later date, until then chop em, enjoy em, do whatever, I'm just as interested now seeing what people will do with the idea as I was when I released them first version!

Oh I totally understand what you are saying. And I cant play without your cityblocks they add so much to my game and it is how i get around the city to lol. When i play a game i have crates and crates and storage boxes everywhere in them and i utilise them lots hence why i reduced the size and not worried bout if they clipped other pois that were under the ground i just lived with it.

I totally miss the train station entrance tho

vaustein
01-31-2016, 07:03 PM
its the same one as in the dl.

Right now, all of the connected sewer+subway city blocks render in Hub City on my server, except the steel subway entrance with turnstile leading down to the subway train.

So, if I understand you correctly, if I re-enable the prefab rule for "x_custom_subwaycitytile_intersection_tunnel_a13" in rwgmixer.xml, the turnstile entrance will be generated along with the other custom city blocks?

I'll test that now. Thanks!

[EDIT] Okay, I'm getting confused. None of the cityBlockSubway prefabs provides street level egress down to a subway train. Two of the prefabs have pedestrian walkways that go a short distance under ground in order to provide passage underneath a roadway; one of these gets flooded during rain. Is the steel-wall turnstile leading down to a subway still a feature of this mod? If not, that's too bad, because I miss it.

vaustein
01-31-2016, 07:26 PM
Please disregard my last reply. I somehow missed Slaan's most recent reply to this thread. It's too bad that the Edit Post button isn't available for more than a few minutes after posting. Anyway, even if I have to smash through a rain grate in order to enter the underground subway/sewer system, it's worth it. Much to explore, and nice touches like the wood shanty and stalled subway train give a definite Silent Hill vibe.

stallionsden
01-31-2016, 08:25 PM
Right now, all of the connected sewer+subway city blocks render in Hub City on my server, except the steel subway entrance with turnstile leading down to the subway train.

So, if I understand you correctly, if I re-enable the prefab rule for "x_custom_subwaycitytile_intersection_tunnel_a13" in rwgmixer.xml, the turnstile entrance will be generated along with the other custom city blocks?

I'll test that now. Thanks!

[EDIT] Okay, I'm getting confused. None of the cityBlockSubway prefabs provides street level egress down to a subway train. Two of the prefabs have pedestrian walkways that go a short distance under ground in order to provide passage underneath a roadway; one of these gets flooded during rain. Is the steel-wall turnstile leading down to a subway still a feature of this mod? If not, that's too bad, because I miss it.

Ok the entrance doesn't spawn on every cityblock. It is random. But the entrance that you described seems like the entrance your talking bout. You can walk down some escalator looking stairs only short distance to train subway it dont go all the way to the sewers which is under the subway. You must find ladder access to these.

vaustein
01-31-2016, 09:37 PM
Ok the entrance doesn't spawn on every cityblock. It is random. But the entrance that you described seems like the entrance your talking bout. You can walk down some escalator looking stairs only short distance to train subway it dont go all the way to the sewers which is under the subway. You must find ladder access to these.

I enabled all 5 of the subway+sewer prefabs in rwgmixer.xml. The escalator entrance you're describing doesn't spawn at all, anywhere. Shouldn't there be a 6th prefab with the escalator?

stallionsden
01-31-2016, 11:27 PM
I enabled all 5 of the subway+sewer prefabs in rwgmixer.xml. The escalator entrance you're describing doesn't spawn at all, anywhere. Shouldn't there be a 6th prefab with the escalator?

The escalator entrance us the one that says sw or we at the end of it

vaustein
01-31-2016, 11:46 PM
The escalator entrance us the one that says sw or we at the end of it

So, the first of the 5 prefabs listed below contains the escalator entrance? "x_custom_subwaycitytile_stationEW_a13"?

<prefab_rule name="cityBlocksSubway">
</prefab_rule>

Would you please provide a screenshot of the "x_custom_subwaycitytile_stationEW_a13" prefab running on your server?

stallionsden
02-01-2016, 12:23 AM
So, the first of the 5 prefabs listed below contains the escalator entrance? "x_custom_subwaycitytile_stationEW_a13"?

</prefab_rule>

Would you please provide a screenshot of the "x_custom_subwaycitytile_stationEW_a13" prefab running on your server?

Yes the one ending with ew. Ok as i said i have modified my one it don't have the entrance. But when i did use the original it did spawn just not as frequently as the others. But simply comment out the other 4 lines leaving only the line with ew open. Comment out like <!-- @@#### -->. And when you go into your city it will only spawn the entrance one.

vaustein
02-01-2016, 02:25 AM
But simply comment out the other 4 lines leaving only the line with ew open.

Hey, that worked! Thanks! :applause:

The reason I had thought the E-W station was missing is that I couldn't find it anywhere in Hub City. It turns out to be an odd issue with the rwgmixer: In some cases, the first prefab in a prefab_rule set rarely or never appears in the game. I've noticed this behavior with other prefab_rules as well.

I reshuffled the order of prefabs in the prefab_rule, and now I'm getting a fun and interesting distribution of cityBlocksSubway prefabs.

<!-- <prefab name="x_custom_subwaycitytile_intersection_tunnel_a13" /> -->
<prefab name="x_custom_subwaycitytile_intersection_bridge_a13" />
<prefab name="x_custom_subwaycitytile_stationEW_a13" />
<prefab name="x_custom_subwaycitytile_intersection_tracks_depo_a 13" />
<prefab name="x_custom_subwaycitytile_intersection_tracks_statio n_a13" />
</prefab_rule>

Now, the pedestrian bridge rarely appears, but that's a fine trade-off.

Slaan
02-06-2016, 12:05 AM
No cityblock entry in the rwgmixer, sad times, unless they have something up their sleeve they ain't showing yet...

StompyNZ
02-06-2016, 12:09 AM
Hey, that worked! Thanks! :applause:

The reason I had thought the E-W station was missing is that I couldn't find it anywhere in Hub City. It turns out to be an odd issue with the rwgmixer: In some cases, the first prefab in a prefab_rule set rarely or never appears in the game. I've noticed this behavior with other prefab_rules as well.

I reshuffled the order of prefabs in the prefab_rule, and now I'm getting a fun and interesting distribution of cityBlocksSubway prefabs.

<!-- <prefab name="x_custom_subwaycitytile_intersection_tunnel_a13" /> -->
<prefab name="x_custom_subwaycitytile_intersection_bridge_a13" />
<prefab name="x_custom_subwaycitytile_stationEW_a13" />
<prefab name="x_custom_subwaycitytile_intersection_tracks_depo_a 13" />
<prefab name="x_custom_subwaycitytile_intersection_tracks_statio n_a13" />
</prefab_rule>

Now, the pedestrian bridge rarely appears, but that's a fine trade-off.

13.8 finally fixes this issue from the test I've just done

stallionsden
02-06-2016, 12:09 AM
No cityblock entry in the rwgmixer, sad times, unless they have something up their sleeve they ain't showing yet...

i still got mine.

Nothing changed in my xmls and I am on 13.8. Altho the elevation issues as discussed prior are causing mor havoc now unfort :-(

Slaan
02-06-2016, 12:16 AM
yeah I missed it, just caught up with the compo pack thread and got my panic on lol, sewers working fine.

I dunno about the elevation thing will have to churn thru a lot more seeds, but It caused me lots of grief finding a decent seed last time although i think luck comes into that qute a bit.

StompyNZ
02-06-2016, 12:33 AM
13.8 finally fixes this issue from the test I've just done

http://7days2mod.com/stompynz/rwgcitytest.jpg

on reflection there may still be a bug with the cityblocks.

The prefabs 1 through 10 spawned correctly but the first cityblock doesnt show (rg_waste_hub_blk_quartered)

StompyNZ
02-06-2016, 12:58 AM
I take it back, this isnt fixed at all.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?38185-Alpha-13-8-is-out!&p=393301&viewfull=1#post393301

forgot to take out the <prefab rule="none" /> from the nested rule.

As a workaround add <prefab rule="none" /> to every prefab rule that is included in another rule if it doesn't have cityblocks at the top.

Slaan
02-29-2016, 07:53 PM
Getting all excited over A14 comming out soon and as Im taking a break from project slaanhatten I decided to work some more on the sewer/subway system.

Take a sneak peak in my latest video (https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=gJheu7VPrbE), any feedback or suggestions are most welcome, what you liked/don't like etc, now is the best time to tell me this stuff while they are still being developed.

(the video may take upto an hour to finish processing just incase the link does not work)

stallionsden
02-29-2016, 07:59 PM
Getting all excited over A14 comming out soon and as Im taking a break from project slaanhatten I decided to work some more on the sewer/subway system.

Take a sneak peak in my latest video (https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=gJheu7VPrbE), any feedback or suggestions are most welcome, what you liked/don't like etc, now is the best time to tell me this stuff while they are still being developed.

(the video may take upto an hour to finish processing just incase the link does not work)

Oh sounds exciting :-)

stallionsden
02-29-2016, 10:07 PM
its still saying no video found lol

Slaan
02-29-2016, 10:55 PM
its still saying no video found lol

I think I gave the wrong link >.<

This should work (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJheu7VPrbE)

stallionsden
02-29-2016, 11:47 PM
I think I gave the wrong link >.<

This should work (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJheu7VPrbE)

Man WTF you make some thing brilliant and then ............ you go and make it even brillianter :-) that looks awesome. I was actually gonna ask if you could put the stuff under the roads instead of the prefabs and you read my mind even before m bringing it up lol :-). Really cant wait. I do hav a few more ideas to run by you as well. Can you add me to steam at all :-)

stallionsden
03-01-2016, 09:09 AM
Hehe roland moved this here.. i wonder if Slaan will finds it now :-D

Slaan
03-01-2016, 04:29 PM
lol they moved it at last, I'll send a steam invite over stallion.

Spider
03-01-2016, 06:38 PM
Hay Slaan love your city blocks. I use them in my Mod True Survival with a few tweaks. Your new ones look awesome. Great job fixing the spawning issue. One thing that I always noticed is that the city blocks always spawn in the same rotation. So it begins to look a little repetitive in larger cities. I couldn’t figure out a way to make it do a random rotation before spawning in but it was pretty easy to just go in Halls Editor and rotate them and save them in four different rotations. So you end up with 16 city blocks and a more random look and feel to the city’s when they spawn. Just my two cents, not saying you have to do it. Keep up the good work can’t wait for the new ones.

Slaan
03-02-2016, 04:32 PM
Hay Slaan love your city blocks. I use them in my Mod True Survival with a few tweaks. Your new ones look awesome. Great job fixing the spawning issue. One thing that I always noticed is that the city blocks always spawn in the same rotation. So it begins to look a little repetitive in larger cities. I couldn’t figure out a way to make it do a random rotation before spawning in but it was pretty easy to just go in Halls Editor and rotate them and save them in four different rotations. So you end up with 16 city blocks and a more random look and feel to the city’s when they spawn. Just my two cents, not saying you have to do it. Keep up the good work can’t wait for the new ones.

Yeah using the rotations for some extra variety is defo something I will look at, it's possible to save/rename the prefabs and use their xml's to set in a rotation on spawn but this was causing some blocks to be mis-rotated so In the first release I done a similar method to what you mention, it's by far more effective.

In this next release I plan on being able to drive my minibike down into the subway level and at the very least, the upper sewer too and have a couple of ideas brewing on how to do it so I think from the surface perspective, there's gonna be a lot more variety before rotated sections are added too.

Guppycur
03-02-2016, 05:05 PM
You can always use 4 copies of the same building, like building1-s, building1-e, building1-n, building1-w

I also think about your mod alot when I am fiddling with my random maze (https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?37581-RGen-Dynamically-generated-maze)generator, and although I've hit a snag (https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?37632-Prefab-RWG-Question)on larger prefabs (hoping A14 sorts that out), the same idea could be used for your sewers... create sewer blocks instead of maze pieces, and it doesn't matter what order they're spawned in they would all connect.

Slaan
03-03-2016, 06:12 PM
You can always use 4 copies of the same building, like building1-s, building1-e, building1-n, building1-w

I also think about your mod alot when I am fiddling with my random maze (https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?37581-RGen-Dynamically-generated-maze)generator, and although I've hit a snag (https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?37632-Prefab-RWG-Question)on larger prefabs (hoping A14 sorts that out), the same idea could be used for your sewers... create sewer blocks instead of maze pieces, and it doesn't matter what order they're spawned in they would all connect.

Part of the fun of this build is having the upper and lower sewer tunnels running along the outside, meaning the 'complete' tunnels you see in the video are actually two half sections of tunnel sitting side by side. It's been a bit of a head screw trying to plan some designs/patterns that will connect well regardless of what they sit next to but I have a few in mind so far that will set the ball rolling.

Slaan
03-08-2016, 11:00 PM
The next video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNt-3u1tNzE&list=PL9sTVdq0AcMGKhdOi-Q5EiVmdI9BF3w6Z&index=2) is out, showing a more finalised form of the new sewer/subway layout. As usual, all feedback is greatly appreciated (even negative!) so don't be shy as I will take all suggestions on board and explain/justify my reasoning about the whats and whys.

stallionsden
03-09-2016, 12:02 AM
The next video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNt-3u1tNzE&list=PL9sTVdq0AcMGKhdOi-Q5EiVmdI9BF3w6Z&index=2) is out, showing a more finalised form of the new sewer/subway layout. As usual, all feedback is greatly appreciated (even negative!) so don't be shy as I will take all suggestions on board and explain/justify my reasoning about the whats and whys.

Awesome work again slaan. Really do love the sewer/subway system

Slaan
03-13-2016, 09:06 PM
more tunnels, more entrances, see what's going on so far in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_0jQU-CaVM).

stallionsden
03-14-2016, 09:08 AM
more tunnels, more entrances, see what's going on so far in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_0jQU-CaVM).

Have watched this a few times. Really cant wait to get me hands on the new sewers. You keep making em better. And the sewer entrances and new additions from previous video definitely are superbly done :-).

PS: yes first version of super highway i totally agree with you lol. It was sloppy and rushed and glad you told me so :-). But def now have something half decent to work with.

Slaan
03-14-2016, 06:26 PM
I know I did say I'd drop you a copy of the base tile to work with, but as I mention, there's a lot of things that just crop up while Im bashing thru them, It's been changed twice already and I've not even started to look at incorporating the old surface layers yet >.<

stallionsden
03-14-2016, 08:28 PM
I know I did say I'd drop you a copy of the base tile to work with, but as I mention, there's a lot of things that just crop up while Im bashing thru them, It's been changed twice already and I've not even started to look at incorporating the old surface layers yet >.<

Nah all good man when it's ready :-). Looking good tho :-)

Slaan
03-20-2016, 08:29 PM
Two more (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWzzKNwfefY) cityblocks scratched off the list, next up will be the new subway station and more changes to the tunnel system!

stallionsden
03-20-2016, 11:13 PM
Two more (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWzzKNwfefY) cityblocks scratched off the list, next up will be the new subway station and more changes to the tunnel system!

Coming along nicely :-)

Slaan
03-27-2016, 01:57 PM
The cityblocks I've been working on are converted and working for 14, theres defo a noticeable performance drop (theres a lot more water beneath the city now and first suspect would be reflections). The tunnels are a lot darker now and concrete is looking awesome again (no more blue marbling effect!) all thats missing now are some zombies in the lower levels. The way the lighting is working I think it will only take a few spawners scattered into the tunnels to really get the panic going on when exploring beneath the city.

I can't seem to be able to make more than four tiles in the set spawn within the cities, atm I have 5 cityblocks (with minimum two more planned before looking at having some rotated duplicates) so only being able to use 4 is a little problematic.

and last but not least, seems we have even less room to play with beneath the surface, some seeds do not generate the hub and im guessing the old issue of clipping beneath the bedrock layer is occuring again.

Slaan
03-29-2016, 04:55 PM
Update main post to include the new A14 downloads/info's

Enjoy!

as usual, all feedback is greatly appreciated

stallionsden
03-29-2016, 07:53 PM
Update main post to include the new A14 downloads/info's

Enjoy!

as usual, all feedback is greatly appreciated

Whoot whoot awesome job man

Slaan
03-29-2016, 09:41 PM
Video tour (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep-PJ7zAi8s) updated in OP!

zomina
06-07-2016, 10:53 PM
I'm on Alpha 14.6. This is my first time installing prefabs. What I did is I got the cityblock xml and tts file and pasted them into my prefabs folder. When I started a new random gen world I got error messages in the console. Could someone please tell me how to install this? Thanks

stallionsden
06-08-2016, 12:44 AM
I'm on Alpha 14.6. This is my first time installing prefabs. What I did is I got the cityblock xml and tts file and pasted them into my prefabs folder. When I started a new random gen world I got error messages in the console. Could someone please tell me how to install this? Thanks

Did you add the code to the rwgmixer as shown

zomina
06-08-2016, 07:02 PM
Did you add the code to the rwgmixer as shown

The error messages stopped for some reason (I hadn't done anything in between the errors and them stopping), I thought the code in the original post was supposed to go in the prefabs.xml idk why but there were multiple and I didn't know which one to change so I did nothing. I replaced the cityBlocks code with the code in the original post, started up a random gen world, found a city but couldn't find the sewers? Do u know why?

stallionsden
06-08-2016, 08:17 PM
The error messages stopped for some reason (I hadn't done anything in between the errors and them stopping), I thought the code in the original post was supposed to go in the prefabs.xml idk why but there were multiple and I didn't know which one to change so I did nothing. I replaced the cityBlocks code with the code in the original post, started up a random gen world, found a city but couldn't find the sewers? Do u know why?

Try going to the hub city at 0,0.

zomina
06-09-2016, 06:06 PM

Alright I did that and completely searched it but no sewers :(
It was the biome with all the ruined buildings idk if thats a problem or not.

zomina
06-09-2016, 07:04 PM

I also just tried replacing the rwgmixer file with the one in the original post but now my game freezes when I try to create or load the world I made with the new rwgmixer file.

stallionsden
06-09-2016, 08:20 PM
I also just tried replacing the rwgmixer file with the one in the original post but now my game freezes when I try to create or load the world I made with the new rwgmixer file.

Upload your output.log. found at common/7 days to die /7daystodie_data

zomina
06-10-2016, 12:05 AM
Upload your output.log. found at common/7 days to die /7daystodie_data

the file is too large

stallionsden
06-10-2016, 01:24 AM
the file is too large

Ummmm everyone else can upload theirs. Try using drop box

zomina
06-10-2016, 04:06 PM
Ummmm everyone else can upload theirs. Try using drop box

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n100zuzs7g7cykc/output_log.txt?dl=0

zomina
06-10-2016, 08:40 PM
Ummmm everyone else can upload theirs. Try using drop box15303

stallionsden
06-10-2016, 11:25 PM

Ummmmm is that the whole output.log cause it seems way short.

zomina
06-10-2016, 11:33 PM
Ummmmm is that the whole output.log cause it seems way short.

It's weird, sometimes its really long and other times it isn't. Here it is when its long: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n100zuzs7g7cykc/output_log.txt?dl=0

stallionsden
06-10-2016, 11:50 PM
Thats better.

Ok go to the compo pack and add the prefabs to the prefabs folder that should fix it. you must a used the compo pack rwgmixer slaan has which means you need the compo pack try with just adding the compo pack prefabs to the games prefab folder. Then test and if errors repost new output.log here

- - - Updated - - -

FileNotFoundException: Could not find file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Data\Prefabs\cabin_01_snow.tts".
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream:.ctor (string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,Sy stem.IO.FileShare)
at System.IO.File.OpenRead (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Prefab.JE (System.String , System.String ) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException( Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception , Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
Logger:masterLogException(Exception)
Logger:Exception(Exception)
Log:Exception(Exception)
Prefab:JE(String, String)
Prefab:Load(String, String)
Prefab:Load(String)
DynamicPrefabDecorator:GetPrefab(String)
DynamicPrefabDecorator:Load(String, String)
ChunkProviderGenerateWorld:Init(World)
ChunkProviderGenerateWorldRandom:Init(World)
ChunkCluster:Init(EnumChunkProviderId)
World:CreateChunkCluster(EnumChunkProviderId, String, Int32, Int32, Int32, Boolean, Transform)
World:LoadWorld(String)
GameManager:HI(String, String)
GameManager:CH()
GameManager:StartGame()
ConnectionManager:Net_ServerInitialized()
NetworkCommon:StartServers(String)
NGuiWdwContinueGame:NGuiButtonOnClick(Transform)
NGuiButtonOnClickHandler:OnClick()
UnityEngine.GameObject:SendMessage(String, Object, SendMessageOptions)
UICamera:Notify(GameObject, String, Object)
UICamera:ProcessTouch(Boolean, Boolean)
UICamera:ProcessMouse()
UICamera:ProcessTouches()
UICamera:Update()

(Filename: Line: -1)

2016-06-10T17:51:58 388.519 WRN Could not load prefab 'cabin_01_snow'. Skipping it
2016-06-10T17:51:58 388.520 EXC Could not find file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Data\Prefabs\cabin_02_sm_snow.tts".
FileNotFoundException: Could not find file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Data\Prefabs\cabin_02_sm_snow.tts".
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream:.ctor (string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,Sy stem.IO.FileShare)
at System.IO.File.OpenRead (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
World:CreateChunkCluster(EnumChunkProviderId, String, Int32, Int32, Int32, Boolean, Transform)

which means those files are not in the prefabs folder there is a tonne more but yeh download compo pack and as i explained above in previous message and it should work.

- - - Updated - - -

2016-06-10T17:51:58 388.849 WRN Could not load prefab 'Batman_Apartments'. Skipping it
2016-06-10T17:51:58 388.851 EXC Could not find file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Data\Prefabs\Batman_Warehouse.tts".
FileNotFoundException: Could not find file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Data\Prefabs\Batman_Warehouse.tts".

2016-06-10T17:51:58 388.868 WRN Could not load prefab 'Batman_Warehouse'. Skipping it
2016-06-10T17:51:58 388.868 EXC Could not find file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Data\Prefabs\BigC90210_Farm.tts".
FileNotFoundException: Could not find file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Data\Prefabs\BigC90210_Farm.tts".

xxx73
08-02-2016, 02:45 PM
Great mod, thanks for sharing :)

Is it possible to use this together with the combo pack, and if so, what do I need to do?

Gareee
11-20-2016, 02:04 PM
Great mod, thanks for sharing :)

Is it possible to use this together with the combo pack, and if so, what do I need to do?

Good question... and is it A15 compatible? It looks like the discussion about this stopped back in July.

Slaan
11-21-2016, 05:33 PM
Good question... and is it A15 compatible? It looks like the discussion about this stopped back in July.

I've never checked them in A15 but the block changes were minimal so I imagine they should still be functional. The cityblocks are not something Im spending any time on atm mainly because with the new socket system comming, the traditional square grid cities seem like they will be a thing of the past. If they do totally replace the whole city generation system then I may preserve these in the form of a small grid style city as a custom hub.

Gareee
11-21-2016, 08:07 PM
Makes sense. Its silly to spend a lot of time on something that might be incompatible by the time you complete it.

grndblitz
03-27-2017, 04:30 PM
Hi I wanted to try this out in A15 game and I am fairly sure I added the files to my prefab list correctly*, do I also need to make changes to my rwg.xml?

I also really appreciate your work and look forward to trying Slaanhatten someday!

*I copy/move the .xml and .ttl into my data/prefabs

grndblitz
03-27-2017, 06:20 PM
Hi. I am trying to pick apart your RWG to figure out how to try this out in an A15 game. After adding the prefab files to the prefab folder in /data, I need to replace the following section in my RGWmixer correct?

<prefab_rule name="customCityBlocks">
</prefab_rule>

I am also confused as to why you made:

<!--<cell_rule name="customHubTest" position="0,1" prob="0"/>-->

My understanding is this a forced spawn for another city close to the typical 0,0 wasteland hub city? I am trying to figure out what city/town type you used.

<hub_layouts>
<hub_layout name="customHubTest">
<township_type value="town"/>
<street start_point="-64,0" end_point="64,0"/>
<lot min_x_y="0, 8" size="60,60" rotation_to_road="2"/>
<lot min_x_y="-32, 12" prefab="oldwest_jail" rotation_to_road="2"/>
</hub_layout>

I think it is a "town" but I do not find a hubtype for 'towns'.

I hope I am making sense/ focusing on the right questions. I have combed most of the RWG threads available, but documentation is sparse and often times for previous versions. :)

Slaan
03-27-2017, 10:31 PM
custom hub test stuff was already in the mixer, the prefabs themselves may contain a few null blocks but other than that it should still be possible to use them.

In the compo pack mixer, coronado city or wastey city are good examples of how to make an old style grid city spawn then you just add the cityblocks to their own prefab group and use that for the lot type where the vanilla city blocks would usually be.

grndblitz
03-27-2017, 11:30 PM
custom hub test stuff was already in the mixer, the prefabs themselves may contain a few null blocks but other than that it should still be possible to use them.

In the compo pack mixer, coronado city or wastey city are good examples of how to make an old style grid city spawn then you just add the cityblocks to their own prefab group and use that for the lot type where the vanilla city blocks would usually be.

I think I understand this. I added your city blocks to my prefabs folder and overwrote/replaced the originals.

The next step is open my rwgmixer, find coronado or wasteycity, and change the cityblocks prefab group to the names of the new ones?

grndblitz
03-28-2017, 02:52 AM
I feel like I am missing a step somewhere. I installed the .xml and .tll to my prefab folder and had them replace the costum_cityblocks I had from compopack 24. That didn't make any spawn in the hub city.

I then copied the following into my rwgmixer

</prefab_rule>

and inserted it over the city block line that corresponded to the smallcity hub which spawns at 0,0

<prefab_rules>
<prefab_rule name="none"/>

<prefab_rule name="CommonCityPOIs">
</prefab_rule>
<prefab name="xvanilla_store_bank_lg_01" min_count="1" max_count="1" />
<prefab name="xvanilla_settlement_01" min_count="1" max_count="1" />
<prefab name="xvanilla_carlot_01" min_count="1" max_count="1" />
<prefab name="xvanilla_carlot_02" min_count="1" max_count="1" />
<prefab name="xvanilla_cemetery_01" min_count="1" max_count="1" />
<prefab name="xvanilla_cemetery_02"

And had no 0,0 spawn. My seed is 'crash'

I am probably not referencing it correctly?

Slaan
03-28-2017, 07:59 PM
Without actually digging thru my old stuff and going from memory the process from the cell rule is s follows:

<cell_rule name="namehere" position="0,0" prob="0"/>

Chooses the center cell, spawns the hub used in it only once (prob 0).

<cell_rule name="namehere">
<cave_count value="1,1"/>

<path_material value="asphalt" />
<path_radius value="7" />

<hub_rule name="citySmall" />

<wilderness_rule name="wildernessDefault" prob="1"/>
</cell_rule>

the cell rule for our hub.

<hub_rule name="citySmall">
<hub_type value="city"/>
<width value="412, 824" />
<height value="412, 824" />
<path_material value="asphalt" />
<path_radius value="7" />

<prefab_rule name="wastelandHub" prob="1"/>
</hub_rule>

This is the first part you have to put your thinking cap on, height and width (min/max) is important as we specify later in the cityblocks prefab rule how many of each we want to spawn. I prefer fixed sizes (min/max same number), 824 x 824 I believe is a 4 x 4 cityblock size (16 sections in total, the min/max spawn count in the prefab rule should match this).

<prefab_rule name="wastelandHub">
<prefab rule="cityBlocks" lot_type="CityBlock"/>
<prefab rule="cityBuildingsUncommon"/>
<prefab rule="cityBuildingsRare"/>
<prefab rule="cityBuildingsCommon"/>
</prefab_rule>

The lot_type entry is where you would reference the custom cityblock prefab rule, the others are simply the prefab rules it will populate the city with. As mentioned above, adjust the min/max spawn counts so they add up to whatever size city you are gonna build.

Hopefully this is easier to understand but fire away if you have more questions, just remember tho this project is something I stopped working on a while ago and have not tested at all in A15.

grndblitz
03-28-2017, 08:57 PM
The lot_type entry is where you would reference the custom cityblock prefab rule, the others are simply the prefab rules it will populate the city with. As mentioned above, adjust the min/max spawn counts so they add up to whatever size city you are gonna build.

Hopefully this is easier to understand but fire away if you have more questions, just remember tho this project is something I stopped working on a while ago and have not tested at all in A15.

I really appreciate the response and patience. I will let you know how A15 impacts it :) I think I understand now:

<prefab_rules>
<prefab_rule name="none"/>

<prefab_rule name="CommonCityPOIs">
<prefab rule="cityBlocks" lot_type="CityBlock"/>
<prefab name="xvanilla_store_bank_lg_01" min_count="1" max_count="1" />
<prefab name="xvanilla_settlement_01" min_count="1" max_count="1" />
<prefab name="xvanilla_carlot_01" min_count="1" max_count="1" />
<prefab name="xvanilla_carlot_02" min_count="1" max_count="1" />

I use compopack 24 (i understand this may create issues w/ clipping) and the wastelandHub uses the prefab rules for 'citySmall' as seen above. I changed prefab_rule="cityBlocks" to "customcityBlocks" and the game got angry and didn't spawn at 0,0

:) Because I should have changed lot_type="customCityBlocks". Now I would do the same to the entries for wasteycity and coronadocity to have sewers spawn in those? Otherwise they will still pull from the normal pool of cityBlocks. Next is adding the prefab rule?

<prefab name="rg_waste_hub_blk_quartered"/>
<prefab name="rg_waste_hub_blk_half"/>
<prefab name="rg_waste_hub_blk_t"/>
<prefab name="rg_waste_hub_blk_full"/>
</prefab_rule>

I found this towards the bottom of my rwgmixer. Do I replace that entry with the following?

</prefab_rule>

If I am understanding correctly, I could do both prefab rules? As long the names are different (cityBlocks) and referenced correctly?

And again, thank you for the help Slaan.

grndblitz
03-29-2017, 05:19 AM
I figured it out. :satellite:

Sewers in A15! They really make the city seem more unique compared to the rest of the map.

Is it possible to create rules for a custom city to spawn where each cityblock was predetermined and it's facing, but the buildings that spawned on it were still random? I think the 'cityblock' holds four prefab buildings I seem to have noticed.

Slaan
03-29-2017, 01:55 PM
I figured it out. :satellite:

Sewers in A15! They really make the city seem more unique compared to the rest of the map.

Is it possible to create rules for a custom city to spawn where each cityblock was predetermined and it's facing, but the buildings that spawned on it were still random? I think the 'cityblock' holds four prefab buildings I seem to have noticed.

There are options for a rotation to road and a basic rotations I think which can be defined within the prefabs XML, Im sure I remember stompy posting picture ages ago showing the way each of the four lots on a city block face and I believe it's fixed (or I couldnt get the results I wanted possibly).

The custom hub layouts could be used to produce fixed point spawning/rotations and with some time and effort get the exact results you want (project slaanhatten is an example of one way you can use it). But with A16 hiding around the corner (and the changes it will bring) it could be a short lived effort.

Guppycur
03-29-2017, 03:25 PM
@Slaan, what are your plans for a16? Keep trucking on or saying fuggit?

grndblitz
03-29-2017, 03:28 PM
The custom hub layouts could be used to produce fixed point spawning/rotations and with some time and effort get the exact results you want (project slaanhatten is an example of one way you can use it). But with A16 hiding around the corner (and the changes it will bring) it could be a short lived effort.

Even if it is short-lived it is still a good learning experience. I will take a look at Slaanhatten for an example.

Slaan
04-03-2017, 07:58 PM
@Slaan, what are your plans for a16? Keep trucking on or saying fuggit?

I know I answered in another thread, but the plan is always to convert and business as usual as long as that's possible. If there becomes a better way to do something on this kind of scale then maybe I'd hit the drawing board and consider starting again, we'll see what sorts of prefab designs start showing up and if I can incorporate the distant POI/sleeper zombies into the current version when 16 drops.

I'd like to think I can keep working on the same hub, the plan was always to fill out then re-visit in detail and I already have a decent backlog of prefabs to use. Round sewer tunnels/system is high on the list along with a whole bunch of other cool stuff we will be able to paint on.