PDA

View Full Version : Dread Mountain

StompyNZ
10-24-2015, 11:32 AM
So I was playing around with some ideas for my nanotech mod and accidentally ended up making a prefab :)

Legends speak of a mountain flooded with radiation for centuries, and only now has it become possible to explore its depths.

Can you find the DREAD MOUNTAIN! Hidden deep under the ominous peak of radiated stone lay dark secrets, are you brave enough to enter? Will you ever return?!

ok, so its mostly empty apart from some ore atm :p I plan to finish it and add some more in the series in a13 (needs some loot love and a bit of random foliage and mixed terrain noise). The cave system is a bit more complex than the RWG ones in a12, and will continue into other prefabs as I make them :) Might even have some nice flooding in a13 with some sewers running into the caves.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1dy90z53a8qxla7/DreadMountain.zip?dl=0

Dimentions: 101w x 101d x 120h

Quick xml for RWGmixer:
Enable the hub in your ruleset that links to the hub layout,

in prefab rules, add:
<prefab_rule name="UniquePOIs">
<prefab name="DreadMountain"/>
</prefab_rule>

in hub layouts, add:
<hub_layout name="dreadHub">
<township_type value="city"/>
<street start_point="0,0" end_point="102,0" path_material="stone" path_radius="0" />
<street start_point="102,0" end_point="102,102" path_material="stone" path_radius="0" />
<street start_point="102,102" end_point="0,102" path_material="stone" path_radius="0" />
<street start_point="0,102" end_point="0,0" path_material="stone" path_radius="0" />
<lot min_x_y="1,1" prefab="DreadMountain" rotation_to_road="0"/>
</hub_layout>

Laz Man
10-24-2015, 05:45 PM
He he, I happen to be working on something similar. Lips are tightly sealed though. :p

Valmar
10-24-2015, 06:23 PM
This is pretty awesome. Its a bit small though for a mountain. Is it compatible with the prefab pack?

DieTillDay7
10-24-2015, 06:53 PM
you can just add in the code to the pack

StompyNZ
10-24-2015, 07:03 PM
This is pretty awesome. Its a bit small though for a mountain. Is it compatible with the prefab pack?

Cheers :)

Yeah I could have gone bigger but its already 120 blocks tall with the caves so I didn't want to go too big :) I've kept the underground at 60 blocks so it shouldn't have any problems with hitting bedrock even with a desert spawn.

Using only vanilla blocks so should be no issue adding it into another rwgmixer (i.e. compo pack) Just give it a cell rule etc with a unique position

- - - Updated - - -

He he, I happen to be working on something similar. Lips are tightly sealed though. :p

hehe, I knew you wouldn't be able to hold off on more prefab work before a13 :)

- - - Updated - - -

BTW it took about 4 hours work, with about 10 mins of that creating the peak, the rest was drilling the caves and flattening the edges to level with the terrain it spawns into :)

Nanobots ftw!

Laz Man
10-24-2015, 07:28 PM
Cheers :)

Yeah I could have gone bigger but its already 120 blocks tall with the caves so I didn't want to go too big :) I've kept the underground at 60 blocks so it shouldn't have any problems with hitting bedrock even with a desert spawn.

Using only vanilla blocks so should be no issue adding it into another rwgmixer (i.e. compo pack) Just give it a cell rule etc with a unique position

- - - Updated - - -

hehe, I knew you wouldn't be able to hold off on more prefab work before a13 :)

- - - Updated - - -

BTW it took about 4 hours work, with about 10 mins of that creating the peak, the rest was drilling the caves and flattening the edges to level with the terrain it spawns into :)

Nanobots ftw!

Once hal adds that new density feature, your mountain will look even more badass.

Magoli
10-24-2015, 07:49 PM
very giantastic :)

I wonder whats inside - lol

I didn't have checked it yet myself - so I can't say if addable to the pack like it is now !!!

To be honest 90% of all postet Prefab's I have to do something that they work well and/or fit to the world !!!
(very often its just the xml-files that needs a fix. Sometimes there are disallowed or disrotated blocks in the prefabs itselfs.
Sometimes terrainfiller is not set well or its a static terrain - that must be changed to terrainfiller.
Often ppl forget to cutoff the air above the prefab (or even below!).
Sometimes Loot is to less or to much. Sometimes the buildings collapses and need a special repair.
And there are a bunch of other things I gotta check before I add posted Prefabs to the Pack.)

Every Magoli-GO! includes at least a check with the editor in each layer - and also a testspawn in Nava !!!

Mag

StompyNZ
10-24-2015, 07:57 PM
very giantastic :)

I wonder whats inside - lol

I didn't have checked it yet myself - so I can't say if addable to the pack like it is now !!!

To be honest 90% of all postet Prefab's I have to do something that they work well and/or fit to the world !!!
(very often its just the xml-files that needs a fix. Sometimes there are disallowed or disrotated blocks in the prefabs itselfs.
Sometimes terrainfiller is not set well or its a static terrain - that must be changed to terrainfiller.
Often ppl forget to cutoff the air above the prefab (or even below!).
Sometimes Loot is to less or to much. Sometimes the buildings collapses and need a special repair.
And there are a bunch of other things I gotta check before I add posted Prefabs to the Pack.)

Every Magoli-GO! includes at least a check with the editor in each layer - and also a testspawn in Nava !!!

Mag

I have checked it with a vanilla copy and only this added and had no issues :) (I went through every layer in hals and checked for and removed any non vanilla blocks)it does need some more added to it before it's really ready for standard inclusion. I do have disallowed biomes of desert and plains but that is overridden by whatever the biome is that the hub spawns at.

Whats the max size for something to spawn into wilderness?

Having said that, while it doesnt have any 'loot' it does have a good amount of ore so could be a replacement for a cave in that regards :)

Valmar
10-24-2015, 09:33 PM
Im curious are we able to to modify what spawns inside these custom areas with the biomes.xml?

For example in the biomes.xml you can make certain blocks spawn on cave floors. Is such a thing possible to do with this mountain?

StompyNZ
10-25-2015, 12:01 AM
Im curious are we able to to modify what spawns inside these custom areas with the biomes.xml?

For example in the biomes.xml you can make certain blocks spawn on cave floors. Is such a thing possible to do with this mountain?

Not with the biomes part (prefabs don't use the biome spawn rules), but you can use loot placeholders to get random blocks in set places. I need to test it further to see what blocks you can use. Def works with any loot container, and I did get a terrain block to spawn that way, but couldn't get a tree to spawn.
You can define a custom loot placeholder (both the placeholder in loot.xml and the block that you use in the prefab that gets replace).

Laz Man
10-25-2015, 01:28 AM
Not with the biomes part (prefabs don't use the biome spawn rules), but you can use loot placeholders to get random blocks in set places. I need to test it further to see what blocks you can use. Def works with any loot container, and I did get a terrain block to spawn that way, but couldn't get a tree to spawn.
You can define a custom loot placeholder (both the placeholder in loot.xml and the block that you use in the prefab that gets replace).

There's a topsoil function in Hals editor but I haven't used it for a long time so not sure how good (or bad) it works :p.

If I remember correctly its supposed to populate the top of certain blocks with random things like grass, rocks, etc.

StompyNZ
10-25-2015, 03:08 AM
There's a topsoil function in Hals editor but I haven't used it for a long time so not sure how good (or bad) it works :p.

If I remember correctly its supposed to populate the top of certain blocks with random things like grass, rocks, etc.

hmm, can't see anything that might do this in hals, when you get a chance could you have a look and see if its still there and let me know :)

I did previously try the lootplaceholder function here: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?33297-Bad-Company-Preview-and-Pour-able-Terrain&p=326954&viewfull=1#post326954

can reduce the amount of actual blocks by having air as one of the options in the placeholder list, and create an effective random placement of loot based on where the flows take the placeholder block ;)

Will give it a try later, but working on something else atm :)

Matite
10-25-2015, 03:21 AM
Enable the hub in your ruleset that links to the hub layout

Love the mountain (I spawned it with Hals "bbb ip" command) but I am a bit new to this random gen stuff... could you please explain better the line I quoted above?

I have been fiddling trying to get it to spawn with no luck.

<cell_rule name="customHubTest" position="0,1" prob="0"/>

With the line above the region/zone/position is 0,1 does that mean it will be north of the central hub city? I checked all of the directions and did not find the mountain so I assume I did something wrong with the first line of your instructions I quoted at the top.

:)

stallionsden
10-25-2015, 03:26 AM
Love the mountain (I spawned it with Hals "bbb ip" command) but I am a bit new to this random gen stuff... could you please explain better the line I quoted above?

I have been fiddling trying to get it to spawn

With the line above the region/zone/position is 0,1 does that mean it will be north of the central hub city? I checked all of the directions and did not find the mountain so I assume I did something wrong with the first line of your instructions I quoted at the top.

0,1 is to the right of the city hub at 0,0. So find 0,0 then travel right in a straight line not north head west

h0tr0d
10-25-2015, 03:30 AM

Yup; without it there are no blocks as you describe at all, just flat ground and the feature works well. Of course, your prefab needs the grass/rocks/trash in the prefab if you want them to generate.

0,1 is to the right of the city hub at 0,0. So find 0,0 then travel right in a straight line not north head west

Keep in mind the cell offset can change the positions within the cell so it may not be due east or west, or whichever direction.

Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- Barring dirty underwear, is there such a thing as bottomsoil?

StompyNZ
10-25-2015, 05:25 AM

I have been fiddling trying to get it to spawn with no luck.

If you start with a vanilla RWGmixer then this is the minimum you need to change

in the ruleset:
<cell_rule name="customHubTest" position="0,0" prob="0"/>
using 0,0 so you can just teleport to 0,0 to find it for testing, after that you can adjust to anything ;)
<cell_rule name="wastelandHub" prob="0.1"/>
removed the position="0,0" for testing, add it back if you move the custom hub elsewhere

in prefab rules add:
<prefab_rule name="Unique">
<!-- "Unique" can be anything, prefabs just have to be in at least one prefab rule if you want to use it in the hub layout (otherwise null errors) -->
<prefab name="DreadMountain"/>
</prefab_rule>

in hub layouts change the custom hub layout to:

<hub_layout name="customHubTest">
<township_type value="town"/>
<street start_point="0,0" end_point="102,0" path_material="stone" path_radius="0" />
<street start_point="102,0" end_point="102,102" path_material="stone" path_radius="0" />
<street start_point="102,102" end_point="0,102" path_material="stone" path_radius="0" />
<street start_point="0,102" end_point="0,0" path_material="stone" path_radius="0" />
<lot min_x_y="1,1" prefab="DreadMountain" rotation_to_road="0"/>
</hub_layout>

The name for the custom hub is referenced by the hub rule, so if you change the name change the hub rule as well:
<hub_rule name="customHubTest">
<hub_type value="town"/>
<hub_layout name="customHubTest"/>
<prefab_rule name="townSmall"/>
</hub_rule>

StompyNZ
10-25-2015, 05:28 AM

Hmm, I thought it was first number for west/east and second for south/north. But then I missed something else really obvious today so who knows :p

either way it is a reference to the cells, so with a cellsize of 1200 and an offset of 0 you would find the hubs at 1200 blocks n/s/e/w of the central hub. The offset is the amount it can vary from the middle, so .8 means it can be 1200*.2 to 1200*.8 from the center of the cell. The 0,0 cell is always at 0,0 map coords and it moves the cell to adjust the offset rather than the hub :)

StompyNZ
10-25-2015, 05:47 AM
Yup; without it there are no blocks as you describe at all, just flat ground and the feature works well. Of course, your prefab needs the grass/rocks/trash in the prefab if you want them to generate.

Not sure what you mean by this. is the function still in hals? if so where? :) There's a lot I still haven't really learnt in the editor yet :)

stallionsden
10-25-2015, 06:05 AM
Hmm, I thought it was first number for west/east and second for south/north. But then I missed something else really obvious today so who knows :p

either way it is a reference to the cells, so with a cellsize of 1200 and an offset of 0 you would find the hubs at 1200 blocks n/s/e/w of the central hub. The offset is the amount it can vary from the middle, so .8 means it can be 1200*.2 to 1200*.8 from the center of the cell. The 0,0 cell is always at 0,0 map coords and it moves the cell to adjust the offset rather than the hub :)

Oh I was wrong lol.

0,1 is north of 0,0 lol urgh i was thinking of 1,0 lol.

0,0 then head north (to the top of your map) the first hub above is 0,1. Apologies for the confusion

Matite
10-25-2015, 07:42 AM
Oh I was wrong lol.

0,1 is north of 0,0 lol urgh i was thinking of 1,0 lol.

0,0 then head north (to the top of your map) the first hub above is 0,1. Apologies for the confusion

Heh, no problem... I knew it was not correct when you said:

travel right in a straight line not north head west

When you are facing north then to your right is east and left is west.

Anyway, I will head north as I was doing originally and try to find it now that StompyNZ has shown me exactly what to do to the mixer file.

Roland
03-24-2016, 05:13 AM
moved to prefab forum

TyL3RAdAmZ
03-26-2016, 10:11 AM
Does this still work?
I did everything it says and I spawned at 0-0 and didnt see it

StompyNZ
03-26-2016, 07:30 PM
Does this still work?
I did everything it says and I spawned at 0-0 and didnt see it

it should work although the linked version hasn't been updated since a12 it only uses terrain blocks so there shouldn't be any issues.

Can you post what you changes you made and ill have a look.