PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics Zombies cause performace issues (confirmed by many)

abc9876
12-13-2015, 08:15 PM
I have the impression that the widespread performance issues experienced in A13 are caused by the zombies. I have read most FPS-related topics on A13 both on this forum and on the steam forums. Many people in this topic confirm what i am saying here:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/251570/discussions/0/494631967663855075/#p3

There are people with Titan X memory cards and more than 16 GB RAM experiences huge FPS drops, while there are also peeople with lower end computers who hardly experience problems. The one consistent fact which I read everytime is that people (especially in multiplayer) start to lag HARD when more than a few zombies spawn. No zombies means high fps, more than 10 zombies means <10 fps.

I have a medium-high end MSi laptop , GTX 960M, 8 GB RAM, i7 processor. Got <3 fps during a 20-25 zombie horde. Around 15-30 fps when there are 5-10 zombies. 50-60 fps when there are none.

It is the zombies guys. This problem was much less pronounced in A12.5. Could you please fix this. All the small gameplaying bugs don't really matter at this point. FPS IS THE GAME! Without a playable framerate it's better not playing at all.

Please prioritize this, as many, many players simply cannot play at this point (well at least not with zombies).

Please don't post here to say that you DON'T experience lag, it is about us who actually do, with good PCs.

I have to add that the A13 game itself is amazing. I love it, it's quite buggy still but has huge potential. Huge compliment on that. I just hate that I cant actually play the game (unless I manually change the XMLs to never spawn more than 4 zombies which is absurd).

PS: Graphics settings don't matter! It's the zombies. I know hardly anything about computers but maybe the engine has trouble loading the zombies from my SSD? Or the zombies use too much memory?

UndeadDucky
12-13-2015, 08:51 PM
Seconded.

Relay
12-13-2015, 09:21 PM
How do you start the game ?

When launching the game from steam you have two options:
- Play 7 Days to Die
- Launch without AntiCheat

If i choose "Play 7 Days to Die" the game stutters like hell when zombies are around me. With "Launch without AntiCheat" the problem is gone.

abc9876
12-13-2015, 10:47 PM
launching without anti-cheat does not work.
However, launching in SP mode does work to some extent. got around 15 fps in cheat mode in the wasteland at night with 2 7 day hordes spawned (settime 134000 in console). There were like 40 zombies and even this gave a minimum of 10 fps, but average 15-20.

But multiplayer gives MASSIVE fps drops even with 10 zombies.

Cerberus
12-13-2015, 11:01 PM
i can confirm the performance issue only happen when there are zombie when ever zombie are not around i get a solid 60 fps and any time more then 5 spawn my fps hits 3, the ppl i play with are also experiencing these fps drops when more then 5 zombies spawn

Shin3on
12-14-2015, 01:22 AM
I can say that playing a multiplayer game on my machine without anti cheat there is significant FPS drop when more zombies are around.
There is only my girlfriend joined to my 2 player game and when the 7 day horde hit here FPS hit the floor and she couldn't move.

We have not experienced these issues with previous updates even with huge hordes present.

My machine:

Windows 10 pro
Core i7 4970k
16GB RAM
MSI GTX980ti gfx
SSD

Her machine:

Windows 10 pro
Core i7 2600k
8GB Ram
GTX580

Both machines clean built by me and are running correctly.

Cheers.

Okumba
12-14-2015, 01:32 AM
Same here.
As soon as we hit like 10-20 zombies the dedicated server starts to lag really bad. Zombies not really moving but warping and opening containers takes 1-2 seconds to even react.

VM running windows dedicated server:
Core i7-4770 (full access)
8 GB ram allocated (of 32)
7dtd server process eating from 1-4gb ram (not having the memory leak problem others reported about yet)

brehmluke
12-14-2015, 01:42 AM
I've been having this problem also, I host a server that 3 of my friends play in.
I get lower FPS when many zombies are around but one of my friends drop to 2 fps then his game crashes. He has a decently powerful PC, AMD processor(Not sure on the model but its recent) and GTX 970. Our other friends get very low fps but they don't crash
This is making the game unplayable in multiplayer, please send a fix for this
I'm running:

Windows 10
Intel i7-5930K
32GB 2800mhz DDR4
2 x GTX Titan X

Vvgamepro
12-14-2015, 02:40 AM
I agree, it only happens when zombies or other enemies are around. I lag uncontrollably and just stop moving eventually while zombies continue to hit me. Makes the game unplayable when any zombies are around. Died 3 times in 15 minutes of playing because I keep lagging.

I have a Xeon E5 2.3Ghz processor
GTX 760
32GB 1866Mhz DDR3. I don't go above 5% cpu utilization when ever playing this game, and my RAM is barely 15% being used.

dustinest
12-14-2015, 08:37 PM
Same problem. I guess it doesn not matter which rig you have. I am not sure, but seems like the pathfinder is the problem. Also is there parallel processing in action? I see my cores are all working...

I played around with different graphic settings. It did not matter much if there was high or low settings. When horde came in, the FPS drop was huge. Even when FPS was showing 60, there was significant stutter which made aiming hard.

I did recorded the test at http://www.twitch.tv/dustinest/v/29962521

Tetrameth
12-14-2015, 09:42 PM
I think asking people who aren't having the problem not to post here is only half the story. If you really want to fix the problem, wouldn't proper and concise problem solving include everything?

And post your rigs specs for gods sake...

Katitof
12-15-2015, 11:54 AM
I'm going to +1 to this issue, hordes at night or walking around cities with greater spawns then other POIs kill the FPS for me.

i5 6600K, GTX980T, 8GB ram, but ram was never an issue for me unless build had memory leaks and Win7.

LewZephyr
12-18-2015, 01:56 PM
Yes, having the FPS issue only with the zombies around.
All others in my running group have the same issue, on PC's with better specs than mine.

60 + FPS without zombies, running around the world with no issues.
1 zomebie shows up FPS starts to drop.
5 + zombies FPS tanks.
Horde, 1 - 4 FPS tops.

Windows 8
Core i7 3820
16 GB RAM
GeForce GTX 660 Ti - 2GB

OkariDraconis
02-29-2016, 09:49 PM
Any status update on this issue, or a fix of sorts? I also have this issue and its so bad, I've given up on playing the game for now, which has been sad.

SylenThunder
02-29-2016, 11:22 PM
Wait for a14. It's the Optimization/bugfix release.

JayzenFreeze
03-01-2016, 01:01 AM
Yeah we all hope A14 has some great optimizations, I got a pretty decent PC as well an AMD 6 core 4.2ghz 32GB of ddr3 ram a gtx 970 with 4GB of ddr5 v-ram and can be in a big building with 0 zeds getting around 60FPS then like 3 to 5 zeds will be outside the building and my FPS can drop to under 20FPS with more under 4FPS and it is unplayable and I die because I cant move or fight right. Dang vortex based games and there extra system demands and of course Alpha dont help, but what can you do. Vortex games have to work harder and alpha games have to work harder but together damn now that sucks lol.

SylenThunder
03-01-2016, 11:38 AM
Yeah we all hope A14 has some great optimizations, I got a pretty decent PC as well an AMD 6 core 4.2ghz 32GB of ddr3 ram a gtx 970 with 4GB of ddr5 v-ram and can be in a big building with 0 zeds getting around 60FPS then like 3 to 5 zeds will be outside the building and my FPS can drop to under 20FPS with more under 4FPS and it is unplayable and I die because I cant move or fight right. Dang vortex based games and there extra system demands and of course Alpha dont help, but what can you do. Vortex games have to work harder and alpha games have to work harder but together damn now that sucks lol.
Which is the really weird thing because I've got an i7 hexa-core, 16GB RAM, and a GTX660Ti with 2GB RAM, and I don't have that issue at all.
Same area, horde of about 150 zeds outside, and my FPS is pretty solid above 40-50.

I've never been able to make sense out of the optimization issues, but it seems like anything higher than a 700-series card right now is really suffering from the VRAM issue.

OkariDraconis
03-01-2016, 05:49 PM
I currently have an Amd 8core @ 4.2ghz, 16 gig of ram, and an 8g r9 295x2. Even when disabling cross fire, a single side of that card is basically an r9 290 w/ 4g ram. My computer should get solid fps, but the moment zeds show up, my frame rate goes good bye. I essentially have to play on Medium quality everything to get a constant fps of 50-60 in the forest w/o zombies around.

Personally I'm hoping that they will enable DX12 when unity rolls it out on March 16 (unity 5.4), since it will greatly help AMD cards, and Multi GPU systems (at least it should)

JayzenFreeze
03-01-2016, 06:08 PM
Which is the really weird thing because I've got an i7 hexa-core, 16GB RAM, and a GTX660Ti with 2GB RAM, and I don't have that issue at all.
Same area, horde of about 150 zeds outside, and my FPS is pretty solid above 40-50.

I've never been able to make sense out of the optimization issues, but it seems like anything higher than a 700-series card right now is really suffering from the VRAM issue.

I had the same thing with my gtx 570 I think the AMD is the biggest trouble maker. I see like 10 times the issues with people using AMD not intel processors. Dont know for sure but both video cards did the same thing. Settings on either default or everything turned off and on low.

sadpickle
03-02-2016, 01:20 AM
Wait for a14. It's the Optimization/bugfix release.
People will go ballistic if A14 drops and this isn't fixed. We're fine with waiting, if it means the issue is being addressed... I don't play MP because MP is so broken, but I did drop into a server a couple times in 13.6 and found my FPS gets tanked with zeds nearby. SP I don't have any issues, a full horde doesn't make a dent.

i7
970GTX
16gb ram

Brian9824
03-02-2016, 02:54 PM

I5 w/ a gtx 970 and 0 lag. We mod our server to have MORE zombies on screen at once and i'm rock steady at 60 FPS during horde night and in city. So zombies might be a part of it but its a more complex issue.