PDA

View Full Version : Project Slaanhatten

Pages : [1] 2

Slaan
01-16-2016, 02:33 PM
Welcome to Project Slaanhatten

Alpha 17 Update!

New World: Hezuta Mountains (https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4jqvmbu5d8ln9q/Hezuta%20Mountains.zip?dl=0)

This is replacing the old Slaanhatten download, I will include a custom map to demo all of the features and ideas I'm working on with the World Editor Prefab Pack below. If you just want to play then install the prefabs from the pack below and load up this world, there's plenty to see and explore including:

Full Canyon + towns/POI - replacing most of the empty space and desert area in the south
Highway System - Connects all of the major cities in an indirect route, full of zombies, loots and traders.
Quarry - WIP construction area to the south
Military camp - Makeshift military camp offering more of mid/end game challenge
Military Base - WIP military base with runways, hangars and a bunch of other things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XLN3J2nSBc

New Prefabs: World Editor Prefab Pack v2 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/8kk4s8u2q9ijbnq/Alpha%2017%20World%20Editor%20Prefab%20Pack%20v2.z ip?dl=0)

Everything created in the demo world was made with the prefabs in this pack, it is required if you want to play the demo world. It contains well over 50 prefabs with many more planned and already in the works and is a way for you to take idea's that I've come up with and re-imagine them in your own way or layout.

It is not a 'compo pack' as such, it's designed for people who want to apply that extra layer of detail to maps via the world editor after a world has been generated. I openly invite people to share any prefabs that fit this theme and I will include them in the pack, over time it is my hope this pack will expand into a world building resource containing hundreds of props and decorative prefabs for people to use as touch ups or starting points for their own projects.

Add the contents of each of the folders to your own prefabs folder in you 7 days installation, each folder represents an extra category that will appear within the prefab/world editor when you press escape and go to the load prefabs tab.

Magoli
01-16-2016, 04:18 PM
I cant wait for the official release.

I want to have my houseboat on the River !!! :)
(and my U-boat in the River :) )

I was able to see some steps of the working-process.
Everytime i was there it looked better and better.

I really loved it.

rock on
Mag

Slaan
01-17-2016, 02:55 PM
I cant wait for the official release.

I want to have my houseboat on the River !!! :)
(and my U-boat in the River :) )

I was able to see some steps of the working-process.
Everytime i was there it looked better and better.

I really loved it.

rock on
Mag

Yeah, working on water is gonna be fun, plenty room for all sorts of wierd things. It's gonna be fun watching what sorts of things people end up building when size is not so much of a big issue.

Slaan
01-20-2016, 09:32 PM
Ok added link to main post, the northern half of the map is now available for public playtesting, hope you enjoy it as much as I did putting it together.

Some important things to be aware of:

1, read the about file, all of the know issues, fixed and prevalent, are mentioned here as well as a bunch of how to use infomation.
2, The hub is VERY seed dependant, by which I mean depending on height issues sections may not spawn, I'll add a handful of working seeds at the bottom of this post.
3, The hub is very rough around it's perimiter and floaty islands may still occur on some seeds. The closer area's come to completion the more I can do to remove this stuff without making it obvious to the eye (like the roads in the sewer ;D)

It is still largely a work in progress build but I think what is there is enough to enjoy for now while I knuckle down with the rest.

Please spare a moment to read through the credits, It's important to me that people are recognized for their contributions no matter how small, If I used something you built and you think it looks terrible.... sorry ;p

The rwgmixer contained within is vanilla with no mods with the exception of the hub itself, I removed as much of the unused areas as possible for this version.

*seeds*
justdoit0
justdoit1
justdoit6
justdoit9 (one of the best so far)

try as many seeds as possible, i've had several that the hub sits just nice in but as you will see steep drops are unavoidable in some areas at this stage.

stallionsden
01-20-2016, 10:50 PM
I am getting the error could not find x_custom_dogtown 0_0 etc

stallionsden
01-21-2016, 01:46 AM
Ok I commented out the above.

But man this hub is amazingly detailed and really awesome to stroll thru. Very recommended and even tho it not 100% complete one can one can only imagine when it is fully complete. And at this early stage is damn awesome well done to all involved in making this.

Slaan
01-21-2016, 02:15 PM
Ok sorry about that, It's the first time I've had to roll the project back, my version includes lowfdogs area and some other 'blank' spots that are the foundation for whats been drawn into the next version's concept map and I had not fully removed all the unused entries.

The link has been updated with the corrections in the mixer, let me know if you have any other troubles.

Forgot to add that people are more than welcome to include this in their own packs, It will be easy enough to update the prefab sections as I release newer versions, and there will always be a fresh mixer included for those who want to add the new stuff from each update.

Slaan
01-23-2016, 12:40 PM
Tutorial Part 1 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWZfnOvgBnI): building within the project area.

Will tidy up the OP when we have the ability to edit them again, feel free to drop any questions here regarding the tutorials or anything else.

Psyborg
01-24-2016, 01:23 PM
This looks amazing...
Is it possible to combine this work of yours with Magoli's Compo-Pack (https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?28057-Compo-Pack-for-Random-Gen) ?

Slaan
01-24-2016, 09:04 PM
You are able to add the hub itself into a custom cell in the same as the other custom hubs, Magoli is more than welcome to include it there, it's a very simple affair to keep the project updated once I release new versions of it.

As long as people are aware there is a txt file I keep in my project folder that tracks the known issues and things people might want/need to know about the hub and how it works. Also all the prefabbers/modders who's works are included are credited within the project folder too, so I would recommend you grab a copy of the project folder regardless just to fill yourself in on the details.

Slaan
01-24-2016, 10:38 PM
Some more prefab wizardry (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iRd2C5XYgM) using hals' prefab editor.

Psyborg
01-25-2016, 09:14 AM
I used to run a small dedicated server with multiple mods since A10 to A12 and merging and updating all those files was a true pain in the ass. I gave your code a glance but it doesn't look like a quick job, and honestly I'm not going to get stuck in that swamp again.

For now I've just generated central city chunks with your code and then swapped it with's Mgoli's...

Psyborg
01-25-2016, 11:16 AM
Btw, some of loot containers you've used in the prefabs are "player-made" and they have lootlist value of 10 - which means they neither contain nor spawn anything (i.e. "storageHealth", "storageAmmo"). A warehouse full of those storage boxes looks promising but it quickly turns out to be just disappointing...

stallionsden
01-25-2016, 01:16 PM
Btw, some of loot containers you've used in the prefabs are "player-made" and they have lootlist value of 10 - which means they neither contain nor spawn anything (i.e. "storageHealth", "storageAmmo"). A warehouse full of those storage boxes looks promising but it quickly turns out to be just disappointing...

the storagehealth containers etc are spose to spawn empty as thy are just for deco/storage purposes. not a error or bug

Psyborg
01-25-2016, 02:15 PM
the storagehealth containers etc are spose to spawn empty as thy are just for deco/storage purposes. not a error or bug

I didn't say it's a bug or an error. I know it's working fine, but I doubt that creating a warehouse full of empty containers just for the look of the crates was the sole purpose.

Slaan
01-25-2016, 03:18 PM
I didn't say it's a bug or an error. I know it's working fine, but I doubt that creating a warehouse full of empty containers just for the look of the crates was the sole purpose.

Hate to say it bud, but thats exactly the purpose. The reasoning behind it is with all these custom prefabs we generally have a lot more loot containers than you would typically get in the same kind of area within the vanilla game and as the game is balanced for the content the pimps created, modders have a certain responsibility imo to maintain that balance within their creations.

I can't speak for the compo pack, but one idea Im planning at a later date is to create some custom loot containers that look the same as their counterparts but would have a much smaller chance of items in them, this would not be until the hub has had its foundations set in properly so that I can look at the area as a whole and adjust the loot accordingly.

Also remember my personal use for this hub is for a pvp dedi server, so loot will be more abundant than typically expected as we hope to have permanent residents moving into the city and taking over sections to hold as their territory.

- - - Updated - - -

I used to run a small dedicated server with multiple mods since A10 to A12 and merging and updating all those files was a true pain in the ass. I gave your code a glance but it doesn't look like a quick job, and honestly I'm not going to get stuck in that swamp again.

For now I've just generated central city chunks with your code and then swapped it with's Mgoli's...

I will work on adding the hub as a custom cell within the latest compo pack mixer, it's not as bad as it seems, theres just a lot more to the hub layout code and it's prefab rule than some might expect.

Slaan
01-25-2016, 04:48 PM
Done a short video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBk3Qr9AQDo) showing how to add the relevant code into another rwgmixer, I used the compo pack 16 mixer as an example and there is also a link to download it in the description.

Hope this helps.

Psyborg
01-25-2016, 10:43 PM
You sound sick!!

Anyway, your tutorial made it so easy that even an untrained, wild monkey could make it.
However I've spent nearly 2h looking for a suitable biome and testing different rwgmiser settings....
I've ended up with "iluvgrumpy" seed which is more or less acceptable (moderate temperature and somewhat flat surface).
Here's the rwgmixer.xml (https://www.dropbox.com/s/4czklgfn9q0ixr2/rwgmixer.xml?dl=0) merging Magoli's pack and Slaanhatten.

P.S. I've noticed that your city doesn't generate on a desert biome - it creates streets only with a few to none prefabs, and it consists mostly of empty lots.

Psyborg
01-25-2016, 10:50 PM
(...)I can't speak for the compo pack, but one idea Im planning at a later date is to create some custom loot containers that look the same as their counterparts but would have a much smaller chance of items in them, (...)

It's be enough if you'd use a custom containers even with the same meshes and models, but just with different names, so it wouldn't be the same as the ones made by players. That'd allow us to adjust it as we like, because currently I can't do anything with it, as those are the same craftable containers, so making them spawn loot would create a gamebreaking exploit...

Slaan
01-26-2016, 04:27 PM
P.S. I've noticed that your city doesn't generate on a desert biome - it creates streets only with a few to none prefabs, and it consists mostly of empty lots.

Yeah different seeds can have different results, basically if the prefab clips above or below the world (below bedrock/above sky limit) then they won't load up. I think I can probably trim of some of the stone base and maybe adjust the offset to something more agreeable, around -25(ish) to make generating the hub in the very low biomes a little less troublesome.

and yeah, i need more lemsips before i record more video ;p

Psyborg
01-26-2016, 10:02 PM
Okay, I wasn't sure what was causing the error I kept getting, but now I'm 100% sure it's your mod.

Your code works fine in SP, but in MP it randomly creates the same error over and over. It happens only when generating chunks in Slaanhatten, and only in MP. It stops the server from generating chunks and desynchronizes all clients, making reconnecting impossible. This behavior is slightly different in case of a dedicted server and a privately hosted MP game, but the cause is exactly the same.

2016-01-26T22:36:36 12448.184 ERR Exception in thread thread_GenerateChunks:
2016-01-26T22:36:36 12448.184 EXC The given key was not present in the dictionary.

KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,Prefab].get_Item (System.String key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at HGHubLayout.generateLots () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at HGHubLayout.Init () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at HubCell.GenerateDetails () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RandomWorldGenerator.GetBiomeCellByWorldPos (Int32 _seed, Single x, Single y, Boolean _generateDetails) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RandomWorldGenerator.GetBiomeCellByWorldPos (Single x, Single y, Boolean _generateDetails) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TerrainFromBiomeCellData.GenerateTerrain (.World _world, .Chunk _chunk, System.Random _random) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ChunkProviderGenerateWorld.generateTerrain (.World _world, .Chunk _chunk, System.Random _random) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ChunkProviderGenerateWorld.DoGenerateChunks () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ChunkProviderGenerateWorld.thread_GenerateChunks (.ThreadInfo _threadInfo) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ThreadManager.V (System.Object ) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
Logger:masterLogException(Exception)
Logger:Exception(Exception)
Log:Exception(Exception)
ThreadManager:V(Object)

(Filename: Line: -1)

2016-01-26T22:36:36 12448.188 INF Exited thread thread_GenerateChunks

I've found there was a discussion about a similiar issue HERE (https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?32817-Hub_Layout-Guide-%28by-Laz-Man%29/page3)

So for now the only way to get Slaanhatten to an MP game is generating it with your code and then removing all your code completely form the rwgmixer. I believe it's some minor mistake in the code, but it's quite difficult for me to track it down, as I don't know the city hub creation mechanics well enough...

Slaan
01-26-2016, 10:42 PM
I've noticed this de-sync when i've had people connecting, one thing that springs to mind is some of the older prefab sections may need pulled thru the editor to fix any bugs/wierd air/density stuff and some of the freaky roads I've laid down with the mixer need tidied up. After that I'll back track thru the change log and see if I notice anything as this was not an issue in earlier version so I have a feeling it can be fixed as Im sure I've seen this before.

cheers for the heads up, before I wrap up the next version I'll make sure to test this some more.

After removing the code, the server can continue on fine with the generated hub?

StompyNZ
01-26-2016, 11:10 PM
So for now the only way to get Slaanhatten to an MP game is generating it with your code and then removing all your code completely form the rwgmixer. I believe it's some minor mistake in the code, but it's quite difficult for me to track it down, as I don't know the city hub creation mechanics well enough...

The first thing to check when you have custom hub errors is that all of the prefabs used in the custom hubs are included in at least one prefab_rule, even one that is not used for anything, as that is what creates the 'dictionary' of prefabs for the system to load and reference.

StompyNZ
01-26-2016, 11:22 PM
You sound sick!!

Anyway, your tutorial made it so easy that even an untrained, wild monkey could make it.
However I've spent nearly 2h looking for a suitable biome and testing different rwgmiser settings....
I've ended up with "iluvgrumpy" seed which is more or less acceptable (moderate temperature and somewhat flat surface).
Here's the rwgmixer.xml (https://www.dropbox.com/s/4czklgfn9q0ixr2/rwgmixer.xml?dl=0) merging Magoli's pack and Slaanhatten.

Just checked through your mixer and all the custom hub prefabs are in a prefab_rule, so the other thing to check is that you have uploaded all of the required prefabs to the server, as I've seen that error when I've forgotten to copy prefabs before.

Also for desert biome, it might just be a coincidence that its actually a very low elevation city and the prefabs are hitting the bottom which stops them spawning

StompyNZ
01-26-2016, 11:41 PM
Just had a look through the slaanhattan prefab xml and there's a few with allowedbiomes = wasteland which would stop them spawning in a randomly allocated lot, but I dont think it matters for custom hubs. They also don't have allowedtownship set but once again shouldn't matter for custom hub.

Many are -35 yoffset so I think its possible to have a city that is a couple blocks too low for those to spawn (and one with -44) as I think the min height can be as low as -32.

Psyborg
01-27-2016, 12:18 AM
(...)
After removing the code, the server can continue on fine with the generated hub?

I've tested it briefly without any errors. I'll do more testing tommorow, cause it's past 1am already....

Psyborg
01-27-2016, 03:37 PM
(...)so the other thing to check is that you have uploaded all of the required prefabs to the server, as I've seen that error when I've forgotten to copy prefabs before (...)

I've had similiar issues when running a private hosted MP game (so all the prefabs were supposed to be on my PC). I can't remember the exact error atm, but all the conditions and the result was the same for other players connecting to my game.

The error I posted above, is from my dedicated server. I'll re-upload all prefabs to double check it and then try some more testing.

LowfDog
01-27-2016, 06:11 PM
I would like to just point out at this time that I'm really sorry I broke the Slaanhatten Bridge...

:dog:

---
Fake Signature Line that's really just a cheap plug for my YouTube Channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwkzZIGzinOMWKCYE72n8lw)

Slaan
01-28-2016, 07:36 PM
I would like to just point out at this time that I'm really sorry I broke the Slaanhatten Bridge...

:dog:

---
Fake Signature Line that's really just a cheap plug for my YouTube Channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwkzZIGzinOMWKCYE72n8lw)

Well it's not the first time you come in and take a crap somewhere, i doubt it's gonna be the last...

Doombringer101
01-29-2016, 03:30 PM
Just watched the video :)
Extremely impressive work Slaan!

Slaan
01-29-2016, 03:55 PM
Just watched the video :)
Extremely impressive work Slaan!

Cheers dude!,

On a side note, my master copy has ported over to the 13.7 mixer and the de-sync problem still persists. Got most of the upcoming concept areas almost done but gonna put the rest on hold for now and start trying to track down the cause of this issue. Theres quite clearly particular trouble spots, I had tried resetting all densities back to 0 for the hub and was getting a crash to desktop (no error, just client closing instantly)when trying to generate some parts so gonna do some more controlled testing with smaller areas and see what that brings.

Psyborg
01-29-2016, 06:26 PM
Just a quick feedback: I've been playing with friends on a dedicated server with a map generated with your code (having your code removed afterwards) and there were no desync or other issues of that kind.

I'm still yet to test your code on a dedicated server again to double check the desync issue, but I'm working 24/7 atm so I don't have much time for gaming...

Slaan
01-29-2016, 06:32 PM
2016-01-29T18:01:16 809.840 ERR Task_CommWriterSteam (cl=76561198005426512, ch=0):

2016-01-29T18:01:16 809.840 EXC offset+count

Parameter name: The size of the buffer is less than offset + count.

ArgumentException: offset+count

at System.IO.MemoryStream.Read (System.Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at NetConnectionSteam.Task_CommWriter (.TaskInfo _threadInfo) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
NetConnectionSteam:Task_CommWriter(TaskInfo)
ThreadManager:W(Object)

Ok so after a few tries, managed to capture the error (as the host of local MP), any idea's or suggestions would be appriciated as although there does seem to be a way to work around this for the dedi server, the offset + count thing seems to be quite specific and is not an error im used to seeing.

The steam ID at the top is the player who connected, he received the keynotfound error seconds before this one popped up at my end, and from that point on terrain refuses to generate for him, both our cursors are gone and the game requires a full restart to fix. Below is the error log from his end.

2016-01-29T18:00:35 183.841 INF ************************ SKY INITIALIZED ************************

2016-01-29T18:00:36 184.173 INF PlayerId(258, 0)

2016-01-29T18:00:36 184.589 INF Created player with id=258

2016-01-29T18:00:36 184.600 INF Found own player entity with id 258

2016-01-29T18:00:36 184.608 INF Adding observed entity: 1, (1666.9, 64.0, 1666.9), 8

2016-01-29T18:00:36 184.711 INF Created player with id=239

2016-01-29T18:00:36 184.727 INF GMSG: Mr T-Ball joined the game

2016-01-29T18:00:58 206.940 ERR Task_CommReaderSteam (ch=0):

2016-01-29T18:00:58 206.941 EXC The given key was not present in the dictionary.

KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[NetPackageType,System.Type].get_Item (NetPackageType key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at NetPackage.Parse (System.IO.BinaryReader _reader, .ClientInfo _sender) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at NetConnectionSteam.Task_CommReader (.TaskInfo _threadInfo) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
NetConnectionSteam:Task_CommReader(TaskInfo)
ThreadManager:W(Object)

(Filename: Line: -1)

2016-01-29T18:01:16 224.446 INF Time: 2.64m FPS: 39.26 Heap: 286.5MB Max: 286.5MB Chunks: 256 CGO: 196 Ply: 2 Zom: 0 Ent: 3 (23) Items: 20 CO: 1

2016-01-29T18:01:46 254.476 INF Time: 3.14m FPS: 35.49 Heap: 286.8MB Max: 286.8MB Chunks: 256 CGO: 196 Ply: 2 Zom: 0 Ent: 3 (23) Items: 20 CO: 1

2016-01-29T18:02:16 284.487 INF Time: 3.64m FPS: 50.87 Heap: 316.9MB Max: 316.9MB Chunks: 256 CGO: 196 Ply: 2 Zom: 0 Ent: 3 (23) Items: 20 CO: 1

Unloading 2 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 2)

Unloading 2594 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 244476.
Total: 540.874451 ms (FindLiveObjects: 37.645477 ms CreateObjectMapping: 22.355980 ms MarkObjects: 474.594421 ms DeleteObjects: 6.276538 ms)

2016-01-29T18:02:46 314.768 INF Time: 4.14m FPS: 18.89 Heap: 296.1MB Max: 316.9MB Chunks: 256 CGO: 196 Ply: 2 Zom: 0 Ent: 3 (23) Items: 20 CO: 1

2016-01-29T18:03:00 328.276 INF [Steamworks.NET] NET: Connection closed

2016-01-29T18:03:00 328.281 INF [NET] DisconnectedFromServer: Connection closed by server

2016-01-29T18:03:00 328.286 INF SaveAndCleanupWorld

2016-01-29T18:03:05 333.172 INF XUI loading took 4833ms

2016-01-29T18:03:05 333.174 INF [Steamworks.NET] Stopping server

2016-01-29T18:03:05 333.194 INF World.Unload

2016-01-29T18:03:05 333.333 INF World.Cleanup

2016-01-29T18:03:05 333.335 INF Exited thread thread_Regenerating

2016-01-29T18:03:05 333.335 INF Exited thread RY

2016-01-29T18:03:05 333.336 INF Removing observed entity 1

2016-01-29T18:04:18 406.789 INF Persistent GamePrefs saved

2016-01-29T18:04:18 406.791 INF Cleanup

Unloading 1 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 2)

Unloading 21456 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 191806.
Total: 329.443481 ms (FindLiveObjects: 33.010853 ms CreateObjectMapping: 25.117855 ms MarkObjects: 229.239197 ms DeleteObjects: 42.073547 ms)

2016-01-29T18:04:19 407.651 INF OnApplicationQuit

The keynotfound thing, I have seen before but as I'm certain the mixer itself is not at fault, I had thought it could have been a density thing but have ruled this out now as I have reset all densities to 0 (except air, that was changed back to 127) and while there are less glitches in some seeds, the hub is loading fine for me.

It's almost like there's a null block hiding somewhere, but that would surely cause me issues long before any others connected.

Slaan
01-29-2016, 06:40 PM
Just a quick feedback: I've been playing with friends on a dedicated server with a map generated with your code (having your code removed afterwards) and there were no desync or other issues of that kind.

I'm still yet to test your code on a dedicated server again to double check the desync issue, but I'm working 24/7 atm so I don't have much time for gaming...

All info is appreciated m8 and you have given me a workaround to test. Obviously I'd like to know what is causing the problems, but a solid workaround means people can still enjoy at least!

Psyborg
01-29-2016, 08:44 PM
EXC offset+count

The above error is exactly the one I was having when running a locally hosted MP. However the error occured only when another player has connected.
From what I've found, it may be somehow related to a PNG encoder used to compress/decompress large png files, but it may be as well a bug in the game code...
I have a little clue why is it occuring only in an MP game and only with clients connected:

From what I see i the server log file, the whole "thing" starts with an error related to communication protocol with Steam (ERR Task_CommWriterSteam)- I guess this is some netcode issue.

Then the desync and client crashing due to "KeyNotFound" thing is just a result of the broken communication with the server.

Just an idea...

EDIT:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/251570/discussions/1/458604254452569207/

Slaan
01-30-2016, 05:03 PM
I've broken the hub apart for the time being, slowly re-doing the roads and putting it back together piece by piece. More importantly BigC has let me use the northern lan test server and the downtown area is loading up fine, not been kicked or de-synced at all so far. It's gonna take a couple of days to get it all back together, testing each area on the dedi server before moving on to the next parts.

I should be putting out the next version during the week if all goes well, the access ramp prefabs I made for the highway really start to bring the two halfs of the hub together now they are joined by the bridge, lowfdogs arena has had it's foundations set and will be the main show off on the south side in the next release.

Psyborg
01-30-2016, 05:32 PM
Can't wait for the update. I love it. Can't imagine I could have played without it.

P.S. Are you planning to change the layout of the city? Me & my friends made a base in the bank at the NW edge and I'd hate to build it from scratch again.

Slaan
01-30-2016, 06:01 PM
They layout will stay the same, the major changes will be the additions like the south side of the river, highway + bridge with the access ramps. I think downtown is gonna extend another block so I can squeeze in a school and wrap that area up as its own 'little' district.

As I'm still not sure whats causing the initial problem I'm expecting the addition of a section will break something at some point, but when it does I'll be in a better position to diagnose what I done wrong re-building it piece by piece. There's floaty islands all over atm too, but I'll work on them once the hub is whole again.

DieTillDay7
01-31-2016, 07:15 PM
looked at this - and its pretty good - great job - to be honest i could help with building - but currently my time is modding - but if i get that done i have another project with another modder - but i will pop in now and again and see what you have done and maybe when im done modding ill come help you - but for now keep up the good work!

Slaan
02-02-2016, 11:37 AM
looked at this - and its pretty good - great job - to be honest i could help with building - but currently my time is modding - but if i get that done i have another project with another modder - but i will pop in now and again and see what you have done and maybe when im done modding ill come help you - but for now keep up the good work!

People are welcome at any stage to do as little or as much as they like, or just ping back feedback/suggestions here and I'll add the good ones to the 'to do' list. It's the prefabbers who have crazy big builds that will feel most at home as instead of filling all our cell's with tiny custom hubs we can collect them all together in one place and leave our random gen a bit more 'random'.

On a sidenote, I've not been able to track down the cause of the error's we've been saying, I will speculate some things regarding it tho. Firstly, initial testing started on a dedi server went perfectly fine, up until the hub was around 4 x 4 prefab lots. As it gets to this kind of size, the hub itself if too big to fit into terrain and we start to see hill's etc be removed when the hub is placed into the world. This is the start of the triangle fails, some seeds are terrible, a handful are not so bad, but the ground level of the hub sitting over the terrain as opposed to cutting thru it defo see's much better results. How this is tied to the de-sync error is beyond me, I'm a self confessed simpleton and I've tried rebuilding piece by piece, there's nothing that stands out as the obvious issue when I first hit seeds that produced the error.

I'm still to test Psyborgs' work around, but once the last parts of the hub are re-added (taking longer than expected, but a lot of cleaning up has been done) I'll take a look at it in more detail and include instructions (and probably a video) on how to set it up on a dedicated server.

All in all, it's looking much better and I can't wait to get the rest of the highway ramps set in and get the last couple of concept area's finished off.

stallionsden
02-02-2016, 12:48 PM
i am currently building some skyskrapers. Also going to be a part of my hospital. But if all works out ot should be able to be swapped and changed into different buildings (using the editor ofc). However wont be able to export til hals is updated. But still got lots to do before this is finished

Slaan
02-02-2016, 04:39 PM
i am currently building some skyskrapers. Also going to be a part of my hospital. But if all works out ot should be able to be swapped and changed into different buildings (using the editor ofc). However wont be able to export til hals is updated. But still got lots to do before this is finished

Sounds interesting, good thing with having to wait for the dll's is it's given me a ton of time to go over every city section in the editor to correct all sorts of crap, I fear rotations are not fully eliminated... forgot the brownstone houses had pipes in the basement >.< but it's looking a lot tidier now.

Psyborg
02-07-2016, 08:15 AM
Any news? ETA? :p

Slaan
02-08-2016, 07:31 PM
I've done feck all for about 5 days lol, but now the editor is updated Im gonna crack on with whats left to do for this version. No ETA yet, but I think I'm gonna skip the downtown addition I mentioned earlier and use it as the basis for a couple tutorials on how to add new area's to the project.

Northern highway needs it's access ramps put in, but they are already pre-built and just need inserted/tidied up, all of the highway prefabs (5 roads, 4 ramps) make up a tidy little set that will be there with the mini-fabs should anyone want to use them for anything. Once the highway is complete I'll look at any other little touch ups I can do, then crack on with the dedi server setup/testing.

Menace
02-13-2016, 07:35 AM
Ok sorry about that, It's the first time I've had to roll the project back, my version includes lowfdogs area and some other 'blank' spots that are the foundation for whats been drawn into the next version's concept map and I had not fully removed all the unused entries.

The link has been updated with the corrections in the mixer, let me know if you have any other troubles.

Forgot to add that people are more than welcome to include this in their own packs, It will be easy enough to update the prefab sections as I release newer versions, and there will always be a fresh mixer included for those who want to add the new stuff from each update.

I am new to the whole prefab and modding community myself, but my friend and I are quickly learning how to do these prefabs. We both greatly enjoy building detailed structures, and I also like the 3d character work in blender. I don't have the dedicated server to export anything to, but if you're interested in help or offers to add some newer buildings and such let me know, I will have you jump on with me and check out the missile silo I just started

Slaan
02-14-2016, 10:47 AM
I am new to the whole prefab and modding community myself, but my friend and I are quickly learning how to do these prefabs. We both greatly enjoy building detailed structures, and I also like the 3d character work in blender. I don't have the dedicated server to export anything to, but if you're interested in help or offers to add some newer buildings and such let me know, I will have you jump on with me and check out the missile silo I just started

Sounds good, I'm just testing the 0.3 version and playing with psyborgs' work around so nothing 'new' will make it into the next release. Once you feel you have an area that is substantial enough to start being converted (if it exceeds 117 x 117 blocks then it will need chopping into more than 1 piece) into the prefab grid system, I will work with you in a similar way I did to lowfdog and we can thrash out any other ideas or features particular to the area you would be allocated. Once you have your own mini prefab grid hub, adding it to the main hub is as simple as adding your prefab lots to the mixer.

http://northern-lan.co.uk/project-slaanhatten-part-1-from-concept-to-crazy/

Towards the bottom of the blog you will see some diagrams on how lowfdogs (rather large) city area was converted to a prefab grid system and also how it looks added to the project itself.

Slaan
02-14-2016, 12:39 PM
Testing on a dedi server has been interesting to say the least.

So far setting the server seed name (config xml) and loading into the world to generate the savegame folder, teleporting to 0,0 (almost guarantees the de-sync glitch) and explore small part of the hub until the error pops up.

At this point I can re-start the client, re-connect and carry on discovering the rest of the hub until the next error, then rinse/repeat until the whole area is set down in the region files. Then removing the hub code from the mixer seems to stop the errors all together. It's a seriously tedious and ♥♥♥♥ty method and even tho dedi server owners *should* only have to do this once, it's still too much of a hassle.

So what I'm doing now, is generating the world as in the first step and porting over to 0,0 once in until I get the error. Re-start the client then copy the seed name into a SP/MP game on my local machine and fully exploring the hub on my own world. Once the hub is discovered and the road connections are located, simpely shut down the dedi, go into the savegame folder for the world and copy over the region files, overwriting anything that pops up. (I also delete the map folder).

This seems to prevent the errors also, while not requiring the mixer to be modified at all and while it still takes around 20-30 mins to setup, it's not too terrible of a process to go thru to get a good slice of custom going on in your world.

Slaan
02-14-2016, 11:15 PM
ok everything goes ok, should have the next version out tomorrow or Tuesday, I'll tidy up the OP with everything when i push it out.

Setting up the hub on a dedicated server tutorial HERE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkV70HdtxU0)

Any troubles/problems/questions fire away and I'll do my best (to not be clever enough to answer them!).

wolverine576
02-15-2016, 11:46 AM
Running this, and combopack on a dedi, all seems ok so far.

if anyone wants to come test it out

75.181.43.20:25000

Slaan
02-15-2016, 03:29 PM
Ok new version is available along with a new, short video tour.

There are now two mixers available within the project folder itself, vanilla and a modified CP 17 mixer.

As usual, any feedback/questions/suggestions are appriciated.

stallionsden
02-15-2016, 08:46 PM
Ok new version is available along with a new, short video tour.

There are now two mixers available within the project folder itself, vanilla and a modified CP 17 mixer.

As usual, any feedback/questions/suggestions are appriciated.

Awesome work Slaan. Downloaded and will check out a bit later.

I am thinking the sky Rise series would look great in your project lol :-D. Just finishing off my city hospital and will give it a try. Adding to the hub I will have to learn lol :-D.

Great work again Slaan and co. Look forward to the finished product especially if what you have now is so great :-)

wolverine576
02-16-2016, 02:09 AM
Does the large hub spawn in a specific location? So far all ive found is a small hub, only 2 -3 blocks wide, and the normal hub.

Live map

http://75.181.43.20:8082/static/index.html

Got it working! If anyone wants to come check it out, im running this and combopack, and the valmod Just search for Night of the living dead or

75.181.43.20:25000

LewZephyr
02-16-2016, 01:11 PM
@Slaan,
Pardon the ignorance.
Watching your videos, you pull up a tool on the right hand side that looks to let you teleport around etc.
What is that? Is that a mod, or just something I am unaware of in the creative tools?

Thanks.

stallionsden
02-16-2016, 01:13 PM
@Slaan,
Pardon the ignorance.
Watching your videos, you pull up a tool on the right hand side that looks to let you teleport around etc.
What is that? Is that a mod, or just something I am unaware of in the creative tools?

Thanks.

Open console using tilde key type dm and enter. Then press esc it will appear

LewZephyr
02-16-2016, 01:16 PM
Open console using tilde key type dm and enter. Then press esc it will appear

Thanks stallionsden. Ignorance may be bliss, but knowledge is power.

stallionsden
02-16-2016, 01:18 PM
Thanks stallionsden. Ignorance may be bliss, but knowledge is power.

No worries

Slaan
02-16-2016, 03:04 PM
I am thinking the sky Rise series would look great in your project lol :-D. Just finishing off my city hospital and will give it a try. Adding to the hub I will have to learn lol :-D.

I did look at some of the re-skinned skyscrapers, I used a similar technique to put together the toppled skyscraper that's already in there. The interior of peppinos' skyscraper is easily recyclable as it is, however I'm not a massive fan of simply replacing the concrete, I think with a little more effort some quite unique patterns could be created over one or two that would make them look like a totally new building. Checkout some of lowfdogs video's, he inspired the 'pattern' i skinned over the crappy vanilla brick buildings to make the toppled skyscraper and imho a single unique looking building (even with a repeated interior) far surpasses a huge amount of similar looking stuff.

I have a little something planned as a thankyou for the subscribes on the youtube channel which should be out *soon* then I'm gonna start work on the school area in downtown and hopefully shoot some vids that cover all the stages I use in adding a 'new' area to the hub itself, however feel free to bombard me with questions, If you have the building itch I most certainly will help you scratch it if I can ;)

stallionsden
02-16-2016, 08:14 PM
I did look at some of the re-skinned skyscrapers, I used a similar technique to put together the toppled skyscraper that's already in there. The interior of peppinos' skyscraper is easily recyclable as it is, however I'm not a massive fan of simply replacing the concrete, I think with a little more effort some quite unique patterns could be created over one or two that would make them look like a totally new building. Checkout some of lowfdogs video's, he inspired the 'pattern' i skinned over the crappy vanilla brick buildings to make the toppled skyscraper and imho a single unique looking building (even with a repeated interior) far surpasses a huge amount of similar looking stuff.

I have a little something planned as a thankyou for the subscribes on the youtube channel which should be out *soon* then I'm gonna start work on the school area in downtown and hopefully shoot some vids that cover all the stages I use in adding a 'new' area to the hub itself, however feel free to bombard me with questions, If you have the building itch I most certainly will help you scratch it if I can ;)

I an understand that. Argh yes I saw the toppled sky rise looks bloody awesome. I atm tho have lost the prefab building itch.

I didnt play a11 (i think) cause it was an optimisation and bug fix release. A11 prolly be the same for me. But who knows might get it back.

Def tho keep up the awesome work.

Slaan
02-16-2016, 08:38 PM
I an understand that. Argh yes I saw the toppled sky rise looks bloody awesome. I atm tho have lost the prefab building itch.

I didnt play a11 (i think) cause it was an optimisation and bug fix release. A11 prolly be the same for me. But who knows might get it back.

Def tho keep up the awesome work.

Well Im blindly hoping when it comes to converting to A14 that everything is gonna be just fine (I tell this to myself at least three times a day), it was so much fun making the transition from 12 to 13 that I just can't wait...

As for learning the 'prefab grid', the first part (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCdiw7hYFbk) of that series is just finished rendering, hope that is of some use to you, there's very little actual building, but the method behind adding stuff to the hub layout code is in there.

There is a third approach where people can just build crazy big things and not worry about the grid system at all, in this instance, like I said to menace earlier in the thread leaves you with something that will spawn as it's own little hub and/or could be used as a district within the larger project. I'd only use one or the other, but some builds end up being decent little things that sit nice out in the wilderness with their own cells (pikero slum/indy hub).

wolverine576
02-17-2016, 04:46 AM
Im flying around my map, in a 1500-2000m circle, not finding much for POI's, is this normal? Is the map setup to make slaanhatten a major focus point and not have much for small houses? Im used to finding small random houses in the middle of forests, or deserts.

stallionsden
02-17-2016, 05:02 AM
Im flying around my map, in a 1500-2000m circle, not finding much for POI's, is this normal? Is the map setup to make slaanhatten a major focus point and not have much for small houses? Im used to finding small random houses in the middle of forests, or deserts.

What region/hub do you have the slaanhatten set at. But you will notice it when you see it. Stompynz taught me this. Get your cell size ie: 3000 and x it by each region so of slaanhatten is set at 2,1 then 2 x 3000 = 6000 & 1x 3000 = 3000 so you put in the dm esc menu on the right 6000,3000 & yoi should re spawn on top of it

wolverine576
02-17-2016, 12:52 PM
slaanhattan is spawned, i just dont see much in the way of the little pois. If thats what you were referring to, Im a noob when it comes to cell sizes and things. Everything is set to the way slaan has it

Slaan
02-17-2016, 02:20 PM
slaanhattan is spawned, i just dont see much in the way of the little pois. If thats what you were referring to, Im a noob when it comes to cell sizes and things. Everything is set to the way slaan has it

The size of the hub may have a knock on effect with what else can spawn within the cell alongside it, however the rest of the cells should spawn stuff as usual. Maybe try the compo pack mixer that's included, Magoli has done an amazing job with the wilderness spawns in the last couple versions. Im sure that stallions megacity mod pack uses some other form of wilderness spawning via biome decorations, but I'm not familiar with that method at all. Maybe you have just rolled a 'bad' seed and need to sacrifice some more zombies to the RNG gods.

I'd like to work more on the rest of the mixer, but other community members are already doing a much better job than I could pull off, so for the time being I'll stick with maintaining the hub.

wolverine576
02-17-2016, 02:32 PM
Im using, the combopack, and the valmod, i have your mixer installed that combines combopack and slaanhattan. Maybe i need to venture out more, but the biomes feel deserted, i even follow the roads, and dont see any gravel roads leading to poi's, maybe im impatient LOL, need to explore more

Tahoenvy
02-18-2016, 12:59 PM
The size of the hub may have a knock on effect with what else can spawn within the cell alongside it, however the rest of the cells should spawn stuff as usual. Maybe try the compo pack mixer that's included, Magoli has done an amazing job with the wilderness spawns in the last couple versions. Im sure that stallions megacity mod pack uses some other form of wilderness spawning via biome decorations, but I'm not familiar with that method at all. Maybe you have just rolled a 'bad' seed and need to sacrifice some more zombies to the RNG gods.

I'd like to work more on the rest of the mixer, but other community members are already doing a much better job than I could pull off, so for the time being I'll stick with maintaining the hub.

Actually the RWG has always been a problem with Mag's Compo work, Im not so sure you can decide how many spawn in each biome. I've literally spawned 20 seeds and NONE have been the way I want them. But with the most recent changes and the lack of Min max settings I don't feel comfortable enough to make changes to it myself so I've settled for a much more barren world also. On the 13.0 release I had found a PERFECT seed and my biomes were covered in POI's it was awesome. I was very sorry to change it.
Please don't take this as an insult on Mags, he's amazing and works incredibly hard for this community but the RWG is a huge problem that the Devs should really help us with, I truly believe they don't want us Modding.

stallionsden
02-18-2016, 01:36 PM
Actually the RWG has always been a problem with Mag's Compo work, Im not so sure you can decide how many spawn in each biome. I've literally spawned 20 seeds and NONE have been the way I want them. But with the most recent changes and the lack of Min max settings I don't feel comfortable enough to make changes to it myself so I've settled for a much more barren world also. On the 13.0 release I had found a PERFECT seed and my biomes were covered in POI's it was awesome. I was very sorry to change it.
Please don't take this as an insult on Mags, he's amazing and works incredibly hard for this community but the RWG is a huge problem that the Devs should really help us with, I truly believe they don't want us Modding.

Not sure what your looking for in the rwgmixer. I agree the rwgmixer has issues. Max_count when placed on a handful of prefabs you really only want 1 of works great. Probs are completely ruined and cause lots of flow on bugs.

Slaan
02-18-2016, 06:01 PM
Admittedly I've not done much exploring into the surrounding world with compo pack 17, but I was very impressed with what I saw in CP 16 and I'm not sure much has changed with regards to the spawn settings/probabilities etc between the two.

I honestly think luck is your biggest deciding factor, when you consider the size of the world, the sheer amount of possibilities and combinations is always gonna be hard to nail down, but then again thats why it's called 'random'. I think some kind of seed tracker thread may already exist?, if not then maybe people could get into the habit of sharing some of their better finds but I do feel your pain when it comes to flipping seeds, the last time I purged my saves folder I sent around 640 folders to the recycle bin :o

wolverine576
02-19-2016, 02:23 AM
At this point in the game, as in ive been playing for awhile lol. I am starting to like the low spawning of POIs. Especially since slaanhattan is so big, and growing!!! I did notice when i climbed up on the highway, so of the metal blocks, that were on top for like support collapsed...if i find the spot, ill screenshot it

stallionsden
02-19-2016, 04:47 AM
At this point in the game, as in ive been playing for awhile lol. I am starting to like the low spawning of POIs. Especially since slaanhattan is so big, and growing!!! I did notice when i climbed up on the highway, so of the metal blocks, that were on top for like support collapsed...if i find the spot, ill screenshot it

Possible work around would be to work out what the bridge is made of and change the si and strength to that of bridgemetal i think. Si is 400. I change all the si and strength of blocks to the strongest.

Slaan
02-19-2016, 04:29 PM
There's quite a few areas that will collapse, the bridge struts are among a 'few' unstable parts of the hub... try climbing across the toppled skyscraper... that can be fun ;) I shrug this stuff off as wear and tear, there's been an apocalypse after all.

If there's any serious collapsing, enable DM and check beneath the surface, some seeds will generate gaps beneath the hub since i removed some of the stone base layers and they will most certainly interfere with structural integrity.

stallionsden
02-19-2016, 08:26 PM
There's quite a few areas that will collapse, the bridge struts are among a 'few' unstable parts of the hub... try climbing across the toppled skyscraper... that can be fun ;) I shrug this stuff off as wear and tear, there's been an apocalypse after all.

If there's any serious collapsing, enable DM and check beneath the surface, some seeds will generate gaps beneath the hub since i removed some of the stone base layers and they will most certainly interfere with structural integrity.

Exactly. When i build a prefab i use bridgemetalrivet and bridge concrete this i find helps the si and strength issues. But yes the air pockets under the ground can be annoying. Easy to pick you attach a block on something that even has a really high si and strength and yet it still falls.

This can also be a sign the prefab has low si under that block for example if you build a 10 story building and on the 9th floor it does this it can be 1 of 3 reasons 1 - air pocket under the ground 2. si and strength issue of the prefab and 3. the si and strength of the block you have attempted to attach the block to has reached the maximum strength and si.

Slaan
02-19-2016, 09:40 PM
Lowfdog showed me something interesting regarding the SI, steel I believe should support around 16 blocks but the 10th will always collapse when walked on, I'm sure the 11th block will collapse the whole lot when placed too. Im not sure if this was true for all blocks that extend their support past 10 blocks, I seem to remember him say there was some kind of bug involved.

I'd never even thought of checking things like how many blocks the different things will support before I start building until I started talking to lowfdog, which is quite funny when u consider how far I've come with building stuff lol

I might actually fully understand it all by the time the gold release comes along >.<

stallionsden
02-19-2016, 09:58 PM
Lowfdog showed me something interesting regarding the SI, steel I believe should support around 16 blocks but the 10th will always collapse when walked on, I'm sure the 11th block will collapse the whole lot when placed too. Im not sure if this was true for all blocks that extend their support past 10 blocks, I seem to remember him say there was some kind of bug involved.

I'd never even thought of checking things like how many blocks the different things will support before I start building until I started talking to lowfdog, which is quite funny when u consider how far I've come with building stuff lol

I might actually fully understand it all by the time the gold release comes along >.<

lol well at least when game is gold things wont change haha so when we all work out how to have work arounds etc it will stay lol.

Yes it is quite interesting the whole si and strength. When building I also use a minimum of 2 levels for floors. if a big prefab as in the distance the floor is from wall to centre of prefab I will use metalbridgerivet as the centre with what ever flooring on top and th roofing under it.

IE:
m - metalbridgerivet
f - flooring
r - roofing
a - air

fffffffffffffffffffffff
mmmmmmmmm
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
a
a
a
a
a
fffffffffffffffffffffff

This adds to the si and strength and what would normally collapse with just using 1 level wont.

Ha Lowfdog his BB stadium is a work of art lol I have tried to dissect how he did such a great big prefab and it stays standing lol.. I think black magic is involved here hahaha :-P.

Here is my concrete as you see it is different to the vanilla as I have upped the si and the mass (strength) which theoretically is how many blocks can one block hold.

<material id="concrete">
<property name="damage_category" value="stone" />
<property name="surface_category" value="stone" />
<property name="explosionresistance" value=".25" />
<property name="MaxDamage" value="2000" />
<property name="Hardness" type="float" value="1" />
<property name="stepsound" value="metal" />
<property name="stability_glue" value="400" />
<property name="Mass" type="int" value="12" />
</material>

as you see the stability of 400 and the mass of 12 meaning 12 blocks sideways from the edge of the block another is attached.
Also other factors do come into this ie how heavy the next block is etc. more heavier the less you can attach. The less heavy the more one can attach.

The only thing I am looking at atm is this line which is in most the materials -
<property name="Hardness" type="float" value="1" />

The float part there i am unsure its part in this whole thing. If we change it or remove this line would a prefab not float or am i thinking wrongly. But I have noticed this line prominently in alot of the materials if not all. and wonder if changing the float part or simply removing it would it mean prefabs wont float or would it mean the block will not be allowed to attach to the side of another block in which it wont "float" or by changing the value from 1 to say 12 would it have more of a resistance to falling.

- - - Updated - - -

yours and lowfdogs prefabs are amazing.

Slaan
03-30-2016, 10:02 PM
Ok so the hub has been converted, theres just a few minor changes need to be fixed. Will most likely have this finished tomorrow, unfortunately the de-sync issue is still there so dedi servers will need to use the work around guide to get it up and running.

The glassCTRsheet block seems to be bugging out, possibly when broken by Z's or collapsing, im not sure, but when it does it is causing a massive frames drop in the bank/large office building when you have it visable on screen.

Slaan
03-31-2016, 03:28 PM
v0.3.7 now available.

The glassCTRsheet has been purged.
The tile containing the sewer plant has had 10 layers shaved off the bottom, it means we loose the connecting tunnel (for those that actually found it!), however, spawning issues are very rare now with the exception of a high elevation hub placement.

Started some concept work for v0.4: Down the drain edition, no eta as of yet, now the custom stuff has all been worked into A14 I intend to enjoy a good survival playthrough!

Magoli
03-31-2016, 11:11 PM
great man

will check it out this weekend

rockon mate
Mag

Ky6000
04-01-2016, 12:09 AM
Wow this mod looks amazing! Is it good for a survival play-through? I Quickly tried this morning with the compo-pack and the city looked brilliant, however there wasn't many zombie spawns in the city (didn't play for long), have they been implemented? Or should I wait until I play with this mod. If not, should I also add the sewer/subway mod you have created for my play-through? (looks great as well!)

Slaan
04-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Wow this mod looks amazing! Is it good for a survival play-through? I Quickly tried this morning with the compo-pack and the city looked brilliant, however there wasn't many zombie spawns in the city (didn't play for long), have they been implemented? Or should I wait until I play with this mod. If not, should I also add the sewer/subway mod you have created for my play-through? (looks great as well!)

Theres no reason not to have the hub somewhere in your game world just for the extra variety, however I did notice myself that in A14 there does not seem to be a lot of zombies within it. Further down the line when it's a bit more fleshed out I'll be adding some entity spawners, the main reason they are not in now is a lot of the layout *might* change in some shape or form as I add new areas/come back to old ones and I would constantly need to re-address the locations they were placed at through each release (and remember where they all are!). The project hub is still very much a WIP, a solo survival play-through might be made a bit easier with the lack of zombies and amount of lootable prefabs but on a PvP enabled server with multiple players/groups to contest the resources I think It's good enough to use in it's current state.

As for the sewers/subway system, defo try that one out bud. They can have quite a big impact on the city gameplay and imo they add a lot to the city environment. I know Magoli did mention the new version will be implemented in the next compo pack release, or if you want to go heavy on the cities there's the mega city pack that stallionsden put together (I believe he has the slaanhatten hub in there too). If you prefer vanilla the new sewer system works perfectly (only one maybe two prefabs have clipping issues) and is very simple to add.

Glad you like the mods tho, feedback is always good to keep pushing them in the right direction so feel free to add any other issues or preferences that might pop up as you play through them!

RedMunich
04-04-2016, 03:12 AM
absolutly awesome work. Thx for you hard work on this and the Subway City Blocks. I love this.

I have added some static Entitys in the City Prefabs, so can i use the Slaanhatten for the Hub City at 0,0

unfortunately have Frame Drops in the City, but i think the lights are the Problem. The Compopack has the same Problem...

I canīt wait the Slaanhatten is Final, is a big Project, thx again for the great work.

I hope you understand my bad English, sorry for that, but i must post a message for your great work ;)

Slaan
04-18-2016, 08:22 PM
absolutly awesome work. Thx for you hard work on this and the Subway City Blocks. I love this.

I have added some static Entitys in the City Prefabs, so can i use the Slaanhatten for the Hub City at 0,0

unfortunately have Frame Drops in the City, but i think the lights are the Problem. The Compopack has the same Problem...

I canīt wait the Slaanhatten is Final, is a big Project, thx again for the great work.

I hope you understand my bad English, sorry for that, but i must post a message for your great work ;)

Thanks for the kind words!

For those who are interested, a new video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68tDwTicWk) is up showcasing whats been going on in the project since alpha 14!

stallionsden
04-18-2016, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the kind words!

For those who are interested, a new video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68tDwTicWk) is up showcasing whats been going on in the project since alpha 14!

absolutely great stuff Slaan.

Feel free to use anything i have added to the mega city to if you like. For example I have cut up Periston and Dieresville and added them in as rural/wilderness mini hub precincts/ Like dieresville is cut up into 2 rows of houses and then i cut them in half again as seperate pois.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?40106-Precincts

maybe could throw in a shanty town here and there as well. look like some survivors set up a base that got over run in there type thing. But looks like it is coming along nicely and cant wait for the next installment :-)

Slaan
04-19-2016, 03:54 PM
absolutely great stuff Slaan.

Feel free to use anything i have added to the mega city to if you like. For example I have cut up Periston and Dieresville and added them in as rural/wilderness mini hub precincts/ Like dieresville is cut up into 2 rows of houses and then i cut them in half again as seperate pois.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?40106-Precincts

maybe could throw in a shanty town here and there as well. look like some survivors set up a base that got over run in there type thing. But looks like it is coming along nicely and cant wait for the next installment :-)

I'll defo look into some of those prefabs, I had intended at some point to dive into navezgane and see what could be ripped. Things like shanty towns etc will be added at some point, on particular idea I'm toying with atm is to leave that stuff until the foundation of the hub is set then dedicate a full release, apocolypse now edition or something like that where I focus on nothing but wear and tear/damage/blockades/car crashes etc.

I'm trying not to go too mental with traffic atm, I have my fingers crossed we'll see some other form of lootable vehicles, but even if we don't get them I think that is something I might like to mod into the game myself to learn some new stuff.

stallionsden
04-19-2016, 08:16 PM
I'll defo look into some of those prefabs, I had intended at some point to dive into navezgane and see what could be ripped. Things like shanty towns etc will be added at some point, on particular idea I'm toying with atm is to leave that stuff until the foundation of the hub is set then dedicate a full release, apocolypse now edition or something like that where I focus on nothing but wear and tear/damage/blockades/car crashes etc.

I'm trying not to go too mental with traffic atm, I have my fingers crossed we'll see some other form of lootable vehicles, but even if we don't get them I think that is something I might like to mod into the game myself to learn some new stuff.

The possibilities are endless as long as tfp stop changing things ya'all figure out lolz

Highope
04-26-2016, 04:19 AM
can i use this for random gen map or not?

stallionsden
04-26-2016, 07:59 AM
can i use this for random gen map or not?

It is for rwg lol. Just look at slaans rwg and follow the path related to the slaanhatten

Slaan
05-22-2016, 12:27 AM
v0.4 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXhj0y2c7wY) is comming along nicely, new prefab count is in the 30's and rising!

stallionsden
05-22-2016, 03:19 AM
Looking great Slaan. Didnt realise i hadnt subscribed yet lol. I have now tho :-D.

Slaan
05-22-2016, 12:24 PM
Cheers dude, like I said in the vid, after using the hub for a multiplayer survival game I really started to realise how 'little' there actually is so while things like the sewer will see some more work very soon I'm switching the focus to fleshing out the hub for this next version to try and keep it a bit more playable.

On a side note entity spawners are still not on the menu at this stage but I am thinking on good ways to get them in there and also open to suggestions/ideas people may have.

stallionsden
05-22-2016, 01:13 PM
Cheers dude, like I said in the vid, after using the hub for a multiplayer survival game I really started to realise how 'little' there actually is so while things like the sewer will see some more work very soon I'm switching the focus to fleshing out the hub for this next version to try and keep it a bit more playable.

On a side note entity spawners are still not on the menu at this stage but I am thinking on good ways to get them in there and also open to suggestions/ideas people may have.

Yeh i have it in in the mega city. And always love going thru it. The school and chernobyl would be great additions to it. And i would think a prison to would go well.

I have the city hall to from periston in navez to if you wanted it. Its quite a nice building actually. I can send to you or your welcome to grab from the mega city.

Also thinking maybe under the highways some parks and maybe a market sort of thing would go great there to. But cant wait for next release for sure. Keep up the great work

Pacco
05-30-2016, 06:22 AM
Just took a look at this on my own game for the first time, this is freaking !!!AMAZING!!!
would you mind if I try to integrate that in the Headbangers mod????
allready got the Casino at the "empty" space near the Bridge in .....

Slaan
05-30-2016, 02:32 PM
Just took a look at this on my own game for the first time, this is freaking !!!AMAZING!!!
would you mind if I try to integrate that in the Headbangers mod????
allready got the Casino at the "empty" space near the Bridge in .....

More than welcome to m8, I'd love to see some pics of what you done with the casino as I'm more than happy to integrate things that people have added themselves.

As for the 'empty space near the bridge', there's four bridges in total, I'm gonna throw a guess that you mean somewhere on the south side of the river which is (in my version of the hub) a giant building site atm so even if you have built up and area that I'm currently working on myself I can still salvage what you have done and re-locate it to another spot (if needed).

I'm expecting to finish up the school area later on today or at least take it to a playable stage then after some (more) rotation corrections and minor fixes I'm gonna update the changelog/grid maps etc in the project folder and push out the first 0.4 version.

I think people will really start to enjoy the hub from this version, there were a lot of issues that cropped up with my survival play through and I've really pushed to fill out the empty spaces instead of cracking on with the more detailed builds so all in all this release will be massive in terms of prefabs added when compared to whats in there atm.

(I think there's in the region of 60ish new buildings)

Slaan
05-30-2016, 02:43 PM
Teaser Screenshot (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=694004155)

Pacco
05-30-2016, 10:57 PM
Teaser Screenshot (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=694004155)

yeah exactly the spot I choose..... but I just played a bit around (https://gyazo.com/3dcd57aa8f3aff4eeed942035e1f8107) :chuncky:

your work is realy amazing and the way how you get the prefabs in is also very nice :) was fighting a lifetime with this rwg mixer, now I could just place the prefabs wherever I want into the city. :applause:

also made a short video to show you what you could do with custom deco blocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh7zO7v3lbY&feature=youtu.be

so much thx for this awesome mod!!!!

Slaan
05-31-2016, 02:03 PM
yeah exactly the spot I choose..... but I just played a bit around (https://gyazo.com/3dcd57aa8f3aff4eeed942035e1f8107) :chuncky:

your work is realy amazing and the way how you get the prefabs in is also very nice :) was fighting a lifetime with this rwg mixer, now I could just place the prefabs wherever I want into the city. :applause:

also made a short video to show you what you could do with custom deco blocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh7zO7v3lbY&feature=youtu.be

so much thx for this awesome mod!!!!

Theres some really nice things going on in that video, as I mentioned in the comments there, at the very least I'd like to incorporate some custom vehicles/blocks into the hub, variety is the spice of life after all and even if they give regular car loot/parts it would really help break up the repetitiveness that plagues the city atm.

In the short term the hub will stay vanilla, but further down the line I think it's gonna be hard to resist the temptation of using some custom blocks/builds. StompyNZ's project (http://7days2mod.com/7d2d/14.6/) I'm hoping can be used to make some kind of master custom blocks xml file, even without using SDX to bring in the funky stuff there's a lot of xml modded blocks and tools that are really useful.

Those nuclear exhaust funnels are probably the best attempt I've seen yet (they are round!), and although a lot of those builds shown seem a bit rushed/empty, I'm guessing they were more of an example of what 'could' be done.

I'm gonna reintroduce the concept map back into the project folder for the next release, it will basically outline my current thoughts/plans for the upcoming version and although it's never a set-in-stone job it would at least give people a heads up when it comes to adding things themselves being able to see the potential areas I'm working on myself.

Slaan
05-31-2016, 05:39 PM
Updated first post dropbox link...

Enjoy v0.4.1 , I'll shoot a new video tour later for those interested.

I'm thinking v0.4 will see a couple updates before it's nearing completion, the sewers are still the main feature for this release and I'll be working some more on them 'soon'. In the meantime I've included a concept map, the main prefab grid map has been updated and approx 60 new buildings have made it into this release (thanks for the subscribes!) so while the hub itself is far from complete, I consider this to be a rather substantial addition, defo worth checking out.

StompyNZ
05-31-2016, 08:41 PM
Hey slaan, I'm working on some large bandit encampments that could probably find a spot in the city :)

The current build I'm working on is on a vanilla server so it won't be a fast process.

I have plans for a mod based heavily on custom prefabs and quests, probably build on top of valmod. There's also the medieval project which I will get to before much longer as well, both of which will make extensive use of custom blocks in prefabs. My project will help a lot with that but I still need to find the time to finish off some bits of the code :)

Pacco
06-01-2016, 11:22 PM
Theres some really nice things going on in that video, as I mentioned in the comments there, at the very least I'd like to incorporate some custom vehicles/blocks into the hub, variety is the spice of life after all and even if they give regular car loot/parts it would really help break up the repetitiveness that plagues the city atm.

In the short term the hub will stay vanilla, but further down the line I think it's gonna be hard to resist the temptation of using some custom blocks/builds. StompyNZ's project (http://7days2mod.com/7d2d/14.6/) I'm hoping can be used to make some kind of master custom blocks xml file, even without using SDX to bring in the funky stuff there's a lot of xml modded blocks and tools that are really useful.

Those nuclear exhaust funnels are probably the best attempt I've seen yet (they are round!), and although a lot of those builds shown seem a bit rushed/empty, I'm guessing they were more of an example of what 'could' be done.

I'm gonna reintroduce the concept map back into the project folder for the next release, it will basically outline my current thoughts/plans for the upcoming version and although it's never a set-in-stone job it would at least give people a heads up when it comes to adding things themselves being able to see the potential areas I'm working on myself.

put a bit time in deco vehicle blocks (https://gyazo.com/728b3450d2b34ed9bdc434476f8178f1).... all the models (https://gyazo.com/938fd851a224c077675ad8190663fc33) are free avialable and for free use..... think you could get a "bit" life into the city with them

stallionsden
06-01-2016, 11:29 PM
put a bit time in deco vehicle blocks (https://gyazo.com/728b3450d2b34ed9bdc434476f8178f1).... all the models (https://gyazo.com/938fd851a224c077675ad8190663fc33) are free avialable and for free use..... think you could get a "bit" life into the city with them

Oh the tractor and ambulance and truck look really awesome :-)

Slaan
06-02-2016, 02:15 PM

They look mint, exactly the type of stuff I'd be looking for. But like I mentioned, although I could fill the hub up with all these things, getting people to test/feedback is hard enough without requiring a separate download just for custom assets. There are a lot of empty spaces/park areas and barren roads within the hub, but once I decide to roll with custom blocks actually updating the relevant areas will not take long whether it's scattering traffic around or updating little parts of buildings or even adding big/new builds.

Theres a lot of thought goes into the planning and layout, far too many things are potentially a temporary foundation and first and foremost I need to be able to crack on with the hub itself without having to wait for third party tools/mods to be updated bewteen versions (probably my biggest turn off with sdx, i get sweaty palms just knowing the ball ache I'd have without hal's prefab convertors). There is a gigantic amount of build time left to take the hub to what I would call 'basic completion' and until that point (unless i get bored) I won't really focus much on beautifying as that sort of stuff is best done when you can take a step back and see the bigger picture.

I hope you don't think I'm idly dismissing the work the SDX team has done, my OCD just won't allow me to take on more side projects until the city foundations are firmly set.

On a side note, I think our live server may be moving over to headbangers soon so maybe things will change a bit when bigc90210 forces me to use SDX just to play!

bigc90210
06-02-2016, 02:41 PM
They look mint, exactly the type of stuff I'd be looking for. But like I mentioned, although I could fill the hub up with all these things, getting people to test/feedback is hard enough without requiring a separate download just for custom assets. There are a lot of empty spaces/park areas and barren roads within the hub, but once I decide to roll with custom blocks actually updating the relevant areas will not take long whether it's scattering traffic around or updating little parts of buildings or even adding big/new builds.

Theres a lot of thought goes into the planning and layout, far too many things are potentially a temporary foundation and first and foremost I need to be able to crack on with the hub itself without having to wait for third party tools/mods to be updated bewteen versions (probably my biggest turn off with sdx, i get sweaty palms just knowing the ball ache I'd have without hal's prefab convertors). There is a gigantic amount of build time left to take the hub to what I would call 'basic completion' and until that point (unless i get bored) I won't really focus much on beautifying as that sort of stuff is best done when you can take a step back and see the bigger picture.

I hope you don't think I'm idly dismissing the work the SDX team has done, my OCD just won't allow me to take on more side projects until the city foundations are firmly set.

On a side note, I think our live server may be moving over to headbangers soon so maybe things will change a bit when bigc90210 forces me to use SDX just to play!

agree on all points here. even up to now the work youve put into SH is staggering and it really shows. we should probably give HB and SH a run on the test server to see how they go hand in hand. its very tempting though to go down the custom model route. i mean, who doesnnt wanna see a las vegas style "welcome to slaanhatten" sign? ;)

Slaan
06-02-2016, 07:09 PM
agree on all points here. even up to now the work youve put into SH is staggering and it really shows. we should probably give HB and SH a run on the test server to see how they go hand in hand. its very tempting though to go down the custom model route. i mean, who doesnnt wanna see a las vegas style "welcome to slaanhatten" sign? ;)

Custom models will defo be a thing there's no question about that, it's just more productive for me to finish (to a certain degree!) what I have planned at this stage. The SW quarter of the city for example does not even have its base prefabs set in.

Slaan
06-02-2016, 08:09 PM
Another update lurking closer (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197978747455/screenshot/489018224645996281) than expected

Pacco
06-02-2016, 09:46 PM

Hi,
nice you like those blocks, all of them could surely be improved...didnīt spend that much time on them.
and you could believe me, the possibilities are (almost)endless, you maybe see the simply Npcīs I made?? They are also just deco blocks, with an animation, and that workbench proberty......
I donīt want to force anybody to use a tool wich he donīt want too, but what I would suggess is make the project only with vanilla blocks first, and then if finished, release a vanilla blocks one, and an edited one with deco.....
btw if you need anything just yell, got some nice 3d modell sites, and simple ones could made by myself :onthego:

Slaan
06-05-2016, 02:55 PM
Hi,
nice you like those blocks, all of them could surely be improved...didnīt spend that much time on them.
and you could believe me, the possibilities are (almost)endless, you maybe see the simply Npcīs I made?? They are also just deco blocks, with an animation, and that workbench proberty......
I donīt want to force anybody to use a tool wich he donīt want too, but what I would suggess is make the project only with vanilla blocks first, and then if finished, release a vanilla blocks one, and an edited one with deco.....
btw if you need anything just yell, got some nice 3d modell sites, and simple ones could made by myself :onthego:

Those NPC's open up some interesting idea's, as zombie spawning is less than ideal in the hub. I think a couple of area's setup with some npc's would be a nice addition, I do intend to spice up certain area's with entity spawners but I can't do this everywhere if I still want to encourage players to move in and setup a base so NPC's could be used at a few key points as a static enhancement to certain parts of the hub.

Slaan
06-11-2016, 10:09 PM
Working on saving the British steel industry (http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fsteamcommunity.com%2Fprofiles %2F76561197978747455%2Fscreenshot%2F48901886123217 5011&h=sAQEcZfUy) then will tidy up the river roads and push out 0.4.2

Here's a sample of the hub map (https://www.dropbox.com/s/nb4a3gdc9nigexb/slaanhatten%200.4.2%20sneakpeek.jpg?dl=0) so far.

Soon...

stallionsden
06-11-2016, 11:48 PM
Working on saving the British steel industry (http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fsteamcommunity.com%2Fprofiles %2F76561197978747455%2Fscreenshot%2F48901886123217 5011&h=sAQEcZfUy) then will tidy up the river roads and push out 0.4.2

Here's a sample of the hub map (https://www.dropbox.com/s/nb4a3gdc9nigexb/slaanhatten%200.4.2%20sneakpeek.jpg?dl=0) so far.

Soon...

awesome man looking really great. I am currently working on a casino with hotel up above when i finish and if you want to add it to slaan your welcome to :-D. I am doing it for sdx but can also do a non sdx version as well.

Slaan
06-12-2016, 07:16 PM
awesome man looking really great. I am currently working on a casino with hotel up above when i finish and if you want to add it to slaan your welcome to :-D. I am doing it for sdx but can also do a non sdx version as well.

I'd say keep your SDX stuff in there if that was your original plan, I can always remove the non vanilla stuff if needed. When pacco first showed me the video featuring his gambling tables/machines I straight away started thinkin on how to introduce a vegas style strip somewhere. After I drop 0.4.2 it's back to the northern half of the hub to address the verticle drop on the west side of the 'uptown' area so maybe this is somewhere that I can start with a gambling strip theme as it's designed to be more built up with tall buildings/highrises etc.

stallionsden
06-12-2016, 08:30 PM
I'd say keep your SDX stuff in there if that was your original plan, I can always remove the non vanilla stuff if needed. When pacco first showed me the video featuring his gambling tables/machines I straight away started thinkin on how to introduce a vegas style strip somewhere. After I drop 0.4.2 it's back to the northern half of the hub to address the verticle drop on the west side of the 'uptown' area so maybe this is somewhere that I can start with a gambling strip theme as it's designed to be more built up with tall buildings/highrises etc.

Oh nice las vegas in the zombie apocalypse ha gamble get drunk and kill zs :-D.

stallionsden
06-13-2016, 04:19 AM
Grrr grand opening of my casino got delayed by the start of the zombie apocalypse grrrr lol. Construction holted haha :-P

- - - Updated - - -

Actually i am only upto finishing the car park lol

Slaan
06-20-2016, 06:47 PM
v0.4.2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQxjjHYL2VQ) now available.

I've started to re-introduce the prefab entity triggers back into the prefab sections that form the south side of the hub and while there does seem to be more zombies about, some solid feedback in this area would be kindly appreciated as I'd really like to up the spawns in the hub without having to dot about too many static entity spawners.

Outside of the prefab triggers there are some static spawners placed in *certain* areas, again on the south side (for now).

stallionsden
06-20-2016, 08:40 PM
v0.4.2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQxjjHYL2VQ) now available.

I've started to re-introduce the prefab entity triggers back into the prefab sections that form the south side of the hub and while there does seem to be more zombies about, some solid feedback in this area would be kindly appreciated as I'd really like to up the spawns in the hub without having to dot about too many static entity spawners.

Outside of the prefab triggers there are some static spawners placed in *certain* areas, again on the south side (for now).

Hehe this be where sdx come in handy with morte spawner lol. You walk on it or near it and zs spawn lol :-P.

bigc90210
07-13-2016, 11:38 AM
video from myself and slaan discussing the latest version of slaanhatten: Prepare to Die Edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh6oF4j1iIg

Sorrowthief
08-03-2016, 04:16 PM
I was watching the videos of Slaan building slaanhatten. The grid map thing I see you using to layout your city, is that part of Hals or did you make that? If you made it is there anyway you could put that up as a download for me? I wanted to try to add something similar to your project but to a Navezgane map. Thanks

Magoli
08-03-2016, 07:42 PM
I was watching the videos of Slaan building slaanhatten. The grid map thing I see you using to layout your city, is that part of Hals or did you make that? If you made it is there anyway you could put that up as a download for me? I wanted to try to add something similar to your project but to a Navezgane map. Thanks

Yes Slaanhattan is awesome. I hope its finished before game goes gold - LOL

to ur question:

The Navezgane-map is very easy to setup if it just belongs to Prefab-spawning.
All other parts can NOT be modified through .xml !!!
It is totally hardcoded atm. Just guys like Hal9000 are able to deal with that.

We cant Change or modify where the biomes are
We cant Change or modify roads
We cant Change or modify rivers or seas
We cant Change or modify Hills,Mountains and Heights of the land

mag

Ky6000
09-17-2016, 06:04 AM
Can't wait to play this with my friends on alpha 15! I'll be sure to test the entity spawners when we play too.

Slaan
09-17-2016, 11:44 AM
Well everything works quite well and looks bloody awesome on the new experimental build, the new draw distance is rather off when zipping over the city but from street level it's not very noticeable.

Should have some new stuff put together for the offical A15 release, I'll get things added that were used in our local server play-through and get a new download setup on (or just after) launch day.

Slaan
09-27-2016, 09:53 PM
Ok it's been a while...

Thrown together a quick video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4_2siXtGy8) showing some of the stuff I'm building and how the hub looks with distant terrain. The industrial area is really starting to come together and I can't wait to tackle a boat.

The terrain editor opens some interesting opportunities to re-sculpt the river so once the gaps are filled I think I'll take a step back and make tidying up the landscape more of a priority.

stallionsden
09-27-2016, 11:08 PM
Ok it's been a while...

Thrown together a quick video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4_2siXtGy8) showing some of the stuff I'm building and how the hub looks with distant terrain. The industrial area is really starting to come together and I can't wait to tackle a boat.

The terrain editor opens some interesting opportunities to re-sculpt the river so once the gaps are filled I think I'll take a step back and make tidying up the landscape more of a priority.

Coming along very nicely Slaan looks amazing. Cant wait to see the new a15 Slaanhatten

Slaan
09-30-2016, 02:54 PM
New blog (http://northern-lan.co.uk/project-slaanhatten-part-4-alpha-15-preview/) on the northern lan site covering the stuff I've been doing the past couple months, may or may not be easier to understand than my accent in the video's ;)

The Overcomer
10-03-2016, 03:14 PM
Hi Slaan

I followed the instructions you posted and on the video, I am using 7DTD B93. After 4 hours and much frustration the only thing I could get was the roadways to show in the water. No buildings no anything else. Can you please help as I very much am wanting to load up your Project as it is exactly what I have wanted from 7DTD. When I used your file with B94 it came up with many errors in red.

Regards David...

Slaan
10-03-2016, 03:34 PM
Hi Slaan

I followed the instructions you posted and on the video, I am using 7DTD B93. After 4 hours and much frustration the only thing I could get was the roadways to show in the water. No buildings no anything else. Can you please help as I very much am wanting to load up your Project as it is exactly what I have wanted from 7DTD. When I used your file with B93 it came up with many errors in red.

Regards David...

The current release (v0.4.2) only works in Alpha 14, it's possible to load up the hub within the experimental build but you will have to manually add the cell/hub/prefab rules and the hub layout code to the new rwgmixer. If thats not the issue then lemme know and I'll see what I can do.

There will be no updates released for the project until A15 goes live, I've got many changes and updates added already but I'd like to drop it all in one go on or just after release day.

stallionsden
10-03-2016, 08:37 PM
The current release (v0.4.2) only works in Alpha 14, it's possible to load up the hub within the experimental build but you will have to manually add the cell/hub/prefab rules and the hub layout code to the new rwgmixer. If thats not the issue then lemme know and I'll see what I can do.

There will be no updates released for the project until A15 goes live, I've got many changes and updates added already but I'd like to drop it all in one go on or just after release day.

Can confirm 0.4.2 works in the new experimental b94. :-)

The Overcomer
10-04-2016, 12:13 AM

Hi Slaan,

I got it working after 6 attempts with Alpha 15 B94. The problem was that the random gen world was drawing over the whole mod and seemed to cancel out things. Thought I would mention this as when you are in the POI it works great. But when you then go into the distance the hills, water or mountains then redrawn over it. I had mountain tops covering the top of some of the buildings etc. Seems like the grid doesnt clear the way correctly for the POI. I have taken screenshots if this helps.

I would like to assist in testing if possible as this is an amazing mod and I would like to help out. This is the type of 7DTD that it should be I feel. I definitely think more people need to know about your amazing work as I think they would feel the same. The Fun Pimps should definitely be looking to include this work..

Regards David.

Slaan
10-04-2016, 03:19 PM
Hi Slaan,

I got it working after 6 attempts with Alpha 15 B94. The problem was that the random gen world was drawing over the whole mod and seemed to cancel out things. Thought I would mention this as when you are in the POI it works great. But when you then go into the distance the hills, water or mountains then redrawn over it. I had mountain tops covering the top of some of the buildings etc. Seems like the grid doesnt clear the way correctly for the POI. I have taken screenshots if this helps.

I would like to assist in testing if possible as this is an amazing mod and I would like to help out. This is the type of 7DTD that it should be I feel. I definitely think more people need to know about your amazing work as I think they would feel the same. The Fun Pimps should definitely be looking to include this work..

Regards David.

Sometimes I find when the game is re-loading chunks that it forgets there's large sections of prefab sitting there and reverts back to drawing the terrain that would have been there, usually for me tho this fixes itself after a min or so when it catches up. It's particularly noticable in areas that are below ground level for example, the whole river and industrial area's are all built below 'ground' level and the distant terrain not drawing prefabs past your draw dist makes it look worse than it actually is (we can see/draw much further in A15 but the absence of the old fade out effect is very noticeable when buildings just stop have drawn in the distance).

Please post any screens (or links) as they are always useful to see just incase I have missed something or we are not talking about the same issues.

It's great that you like the work and even better if it gets shared around as the more people making prefabs means more content for the city but there's a certain level of polish the pimps apply to their prefabs that are 'officially' released that I just have not even begun to start (mixing in rubble, adding decals, entity spawns/triggers and general cosmetic touches) so as much as I'd love to see this kind of thing in the game itself there are many areas of the project that are far from being in an 'officially' releasable state.

When A15 drops and I push out the next version Ill go over in more detail how people can get involved, there will be many new areas crying out for attention after all the landscaping that's going on currently. For now the best way to help is to make some great prefabs! many people expect to build gigantic works but realistically it's the regular houses and shops and smaller props (bus stops, highway sections etc checkout the mini-fabs folder within the project download for some good examples of 'props') that get used more than anything else, if you could find it in a city then I'll probably be interested.

The Overcomer
10-05-2016, 12:41 PM
Hi Slaan,

does this mean your just about to release in relation to b104 alpha ;) 0.5 ?

"We think this build could be good enough to go stable. Please let us know if you find and can reproduce any show stopping gameplay bugs or crashes. Known issues and crashes are listed at the bottom of this post."

stallionsden
10-05-2016, 01:34 PM
Hi Slaan,

"We think this build could be good enough to go stable. Please let us know if you find and can reproduce any show stopping gameplay bugs or crashes. Known issues and crashes are listed at the bottom of this post."

Thats for a15 b104 has nothing to do with slaanhatten or any mod :-/

Slaan
10-05-2016, 02:54 PM
Hi Slaan,

As soon as we get a stable build I'll wrap up the current state of the hub and push it out :D

The Overcomer
10-05-2016, 08:55 PM
Hi Stallionsden,

Slaan said when there is a stable release he will release his next version. so I was asking as per comment in yellow from TFP if it mean Slaans next release was very very close to be released. I know he doesnt have anythign to do with the official game release but I'm very excited to see Slaans next version.

The Overcomer
10-05-2016, 09:00 PM
Hi Slaan,

When a new RWG is done, does the location of Slaanhatten change to random or is it fixed ? Each time I have re generated a new world it seems to move and I'm having trouble locating it .

Slaan
10-05-2016, 09:19 PM
Hi Slaan,

When a new RWG is done, does the location of Slaanhatten change to random or is it fixed ? Each time I have re generated a new world it seems to move and I'm having trouble locating it .

The hub itself should remain in a fixed position, currently there's one section that does not generate on a few seeds as it's Y offsett is lower than -25 but the rest should generate each time.

Check your cell size in the rwgmixer, I think 0.4.2 can get away with minimum 2200 but as I discovered on the newer build when I shifted everything into the NE quarter of the cell, the hub will be cut off at the cell border if it's not set high enough.

Other than that (off the top of my head) there should be no other issues with things not spawning where they should.

On a side note, the northern lan test server is up and running, 86.31.252.133:26905 PW: citytest
It's not gonna be a 24/7 thing but while it's on people are more than welcome to come take a look around (vanilla mixer with cityhub in it's new home NE of 0,0)

The Overcomer
10-05-2016, 09:20 PM
removed

Slaan
10-06-2016, 09:41 PM
v0.5.1 is available for download, updated the main post.

Enjoy :eagerness:

The Overcomer
10-07-2016, 08:51 AM
v0.5.1 is available for download, updated the main post.

Enjoy :eagerness:

OMG OMG OMG !!! Wooohoooo !!!!!!

Ky6000
10-07-2016, 10:27 PM
Can't believe this mod hasn't gotten more downloads! Playing it now and it's very fun (although the distant terrain bug is a bit annoying.)

Thanks again Slaan for this awesome addition to the game.

The Overcomer
10-08-2016, 08:56 PM
Hi Slaan,

I just found this and thought it would be amazing in Slaanhatten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX8BgxAnQGQ

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198083397848

P.S I have just edited this post as you have seen the video. Is he or you interested in putting this in Slaanhatten ?

Thanks heaps again for your amazing work.

Regards David.

The Overcomer
10-08-2016, 09:06 PM
Hi Slaan,

I just posted this in Alpha 16 diary to see if MM will take a look and his thoughts

If you cant see image its the link to your latest video and your forum.

Fingers Crossed.

Regards Dave.

Slaan
10-11-2016, 03:24 PM
I'm taking a break for a week or so while I enjoy a survival play through on BigC's server, I have a few loose ends to chase when I start building again. I did add mondsucht on steam and intend to speak to him about the mental hospital, even tho we already have the asylum up by the hospital I can think of a couple of possible uses/spots to drop it in.

It's working quite well so far, tho like most times I play through surivial I end up with an ever increasing list of ideas/edits that are needed so It won't be too long before I get the itch to continue.

stallionsden
10-11-2016, 08:35 PM
I'm taking a break for a week or so while I enjoy a survival play through on BigC's server, I have a few loose ends to chase when I start building again. I did add mondsucht on steam and intend to speak to him about the mental hospital, even tho we already have the asylum up by the hospital I can think of a couple of possible uses/spots to drop it in.

It's working quite well so far, tho like most times I play through surivial I end up with an ever increasing list of ideas/edits that are needed so It won't be too long before I get the itch to continue.

Enjoy your week man. Everyone needs a break every now and then. Enjoy your great work you have done :-)

LuckyStar
11-08-2016, 02:44 AM
Slaan,

I think I've got some stuff that would fit well in there.

Slaan
11-08-2016, 08:29 PM
Slaan,

I think I've got some stuff that would fit well in there.

Sounds interesting! feel free to elaborate here or send me a mail with the juicy info. I'm due to start more work on the hub soon and look forward to seeing what you've built.

LuckyStar
11-13-2016, 06:49 PM
Sounds interesting! feel free to elaborate here or send me a mail with the juicy info. I'm due to start more work on the hub soon and look forward to seeing what you've built.

I'd need to know what kind of motif you allow.

I think my Tank Garage would be fun in there and the Utility stuff I made by it looks like you want custom built to your map.
How would I go about doing that?

I'm near the 500 hours mark for alpha 15 so time to take a break from playing and do some building.
I was going to release a Mod pack but I wouldn't mind making something for your project.
Sounds like fun.

Slaan
11-21-2016, 06:19 PM
When it comes to adding to the hub, the simple way I think...

load it up in a game and add the prefabs/manual build the area's you have in mind.

and/or

Modify the actual x_custom_city_ prefabs(cut in paths/roads,terraform,decorations etc, will depend on level of skill with the editor)

and/or

build your own area/street(s)/town

Once you're done, extract the whole modified area as a prefab (don't forget any modified city sections) and take some coordinates for where I'd have to insert it to see it match up with the hub. Send/post links and pics.

Enough exists in the hub now I think to demonstrate the kind of style I'm trying to go for and it's important that regardless of whats being built we keep looking at the project as a single city as when it comes to the distribution of amenities and landmarks. However I still feel quite wary about commiting so much effort to this method with A16 and more RWG changes looming which is why things have been going slower for a while now. I've even contemplated a more 'enhanced' method of creating the city and starting it again (/shudder).

BigC90210 once made a joke about me using 7D2D to play sim city and it's not a bad comparison to how I look at the hub when I consider expanding/upgrades, connecting them to the road network or highway, building up the landscape and filling the gaps with residential.

Nothing below -25
and consider the fps when ye stacking 2k lights or large/dense buildings.

I know the tutorial videos I made are a little old now and my english is awesome..., but if there are specific things that are hard to understand or questions I can directly answer/expand upon, then Im happy to do more or even thrash out a blog.

Claudiaice
12-04-2016, 11:51 PM
Can you add an abandoned train somewhere in the city?

wolverine576
12-05-2016, 12:34 AM
Whats the difference between, terror-forming, and dedicated versions on the download page?

Slaan
12-06-2016, 04:49 PM
Whats the difference between, terror-forming, and dedicated versions on the download page?

The dedicated server version contains the region files used to generate the hub in a game with the seed name Slaanhatten07.

It's mainly for people who struggle to setup a local MP/dedi server game with the required workaround, you can use the included project rwgmixer and simply copy the region files over to your save game to pre-generate the hub area. However, as the mixer included within the project folder is just the city hub added to a vanilla game, it may not match up right if your adding in other things like the compo pack or adjusting the offset etc.

Slaan
12-06-2016, 04:55 PM
Can you add an abandoned train somewhere in the city?

Some kind of rail network was gonna be a 'thing' which would include at least a couple stations, bridge and maybe some subway sections. The main thing is there are many other more important things to add at this stage, even just filling the area up in a respectable way is time consuming and the mentioned rail network would need the city as a whole to be a touch more complete before it could be planned properly.

I miss the rail tracks we used to have with the custom city blocks, but we do have nearly 2km of highway and an already impressive road map to race our mini bikes around so for now the rail system will remain on the 'to do' list.

Guppycur
12-06-2016, 10:00 PM
Horst did a great train and I think my density tweaks to his tracks look on point. Just can't curve them is all.

Slaan
12-09-2016, 07:33 PM
Horst did a great train and I think my density tweaks to his tracks look on point. Just can't curve them is all.

I believe I know the prefab your talking of, it's pretty impressive and way better than the ones I done in the cityblocks by a mile. The method used to create the hub allows me a freedom of building that you just can't have when using more traditional ways and although it's often waaaay more time consuming, the non uniform look and more realistic planning of districts is one thing that makes this city stand apart by quite a large margin imo and a rail network will get the same kind of love if it makes it in.

Density blending is one thing that I've been really lazy with, but again this is something that would be more of a finishing touch to the city. Due to the way plans change and areas are revisited as well as the changes to the game itself which improves or kills fps in some parts of the hub, there are far too many opportunities to re-do or edit existing areas to be more performance friendly or aesthetically pleasing so we get the dirty version for now and things like that can be done as a single update across the whole hub at a later date.

I love the way it's comming together, the south side of the city is turning out much better than I imagined it would but when you head back to the 'older' areas, particularly downtown and where the sewers were started, performance is borderline terrible and some changes are desperately needed.

First and foremost I developed this project to work on multiplayer servers and be as playable as possible, even if it means sacrificing things like a New York style skyscraper district or other larger performance hogging builds. Hopefully as we approach the gold release things will be a lot more stable and we as modders will have a better idea of how far we can push the game before things start going to ♥♥♥♥. Thats why I cherish the smaller builds when they pop up (like your apartments) as they give a great opportunity to kill some large empty space with respectable looking prefabs that are not 'too' big or full of objects/containers/lights etc.

Slaan
12-10-2016, 11:52 AM
As there won't be an update for a couple weeks yet HERE (https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjotoyn8741b3ci/rwgmixer.xml?dl=0) is a newer version of the RWGmixer.

You MUST have the latest compo pack prefabs installed too.

The mixer features Slaanhatten at 0,0 and rather than rolling out custom cell rules for some of the larger builds, I've added them to the custom hub code for the city and dropped them around in the empty areas surrounding the hub. It should be noted that these are not permanent additions, they are just used as fillers when we generate a new map for a playthrough.

The other main difference is the introduction of the compo packs custom towns/rural/cities and wilderness spawns. Everything outside of the center cell is now randomly generated. The cell offset is back up to 0.7 and we have a reasonable amount of vanilla/custom prefabs out in the wilds now to compensate for the larger cell size.

We run this mixer on BigC90210s' server over at Northern-lan along with valmod overhaul if anyone wants to see it in action.

Feel free to add or modify, if you take a look at the hub code for Slaanhatten you can see how the big builds were thrown in as a last minute addition and it's quite simple to drop in as many 'extras' as you like.

*Bugs*

Massive console spam on the first time connecting to the dedi server, quit and re-try as this is a once only thing.

The usual slaanhatten de-sync bug that requires the work-around fix (see project folder/OP)

StompyNZ
12-10-2016, 12:25 PM
*Bugs*

Massive console spam on the first time connecting to the dedi server, quit and re-try as this is a once only thing.

The usual slaanhatten de-sync bug that requires the work-around fix (see project folder/OP)

You shouldn't get the console spam if you have the prefabs on the client as well :)

Slaan
12-10-2016, 01:24 PM
Im kinda lucky being the one setting it up I have all the required files, that said like you mention in the CP thread, average joe does not want to have to download third party packs and see's red errors as a sign of a bad server.

It's awesome valmod is becoming more popular as people are starting to get into the habit of needing these extra things on the client but at the end of the day it's mainly red tape that could be taken care of server side and we see a massive drop in players when we roll out more unique and custom worlds.

With that in mind I've been on all morning replicating the slaanhatten de-sync ♥♥♥♥e on our test server and will drop the report, reproduction and logs in Kinyajus' mail box as I've a sneaky feeling that this is also related and with new random gen on the cards for A16 it would be nice to have this stuff taken care of.

Slaan
01-22-2017, 12:14 PM
Been enjoying the survival play through for much longer than expected but work has been ongoing since before xmas. Not sure if I'll drop the latest stuff before A16, some things I said I would do have not been done and a whole bunch of other stuff has been added instead.

Much of the NE has been renovated to try and bring performance back to acceptable levels and although there are still some hotspots of stuttering, generally speaking it plays much better.

Cookies for those who can spot the traders, I know some of our community memebers won't be happy that the bandits (naughty players not NPC's) can snipe into them from nearby buildings :playful:

wolverine576
01-22-2017, 03:18 PM
How can I place slaanhatten, in the far southwest corner of the map? Say 3000s 3000w

Guppycur
01-24-2017, 05:19 PM
Does anyone happen to have a GIANT prefab of the entire thing?

...yeh yeh I know it would be big, wouldn't spawn, etc... I know, but I'd like to insert it into an existing rwg map, and I don't mind doing the terraforming.

wolverine576
01-24-2017, 05:50 PM

...yeh yeh I know it would be big, wouldn't spawn, etc... I know, but I'd like to insert it into an existing rwg map, and I don't mind doing the terraforming.

Yeah that's what I want to do! I think I might know how, but want to spawn it in the south of my map

Guppycur
01-24-2017, 06:16 PM
I guess I should start a nav game, install it, and rip it.

Slaan
01-24-2017, 08:55 PM
How can I place slaanhatten, in the far southwest corner of the map? Say 3000s 3000w

Adjust the cell rule to any coords you like, atm getting it exactly 3000 s and w will be slightly problematic due to the cell sizes required to spawn in the hub. However, this will not be as much of an issue from a16 as the hub will go back to being centered within it's cell instead of pushed into the NE corner, meaning I can reduce the cell size right down to a much more forgiving 2000ish.

Off the top of my head, it's current cell size is 4200 so the cell SW of the center would be -1,-1 and the SW corner of the hub using that cell would be approx -4200,-4200 with the center of the hub being around -3500,-3500.

Guppycur
01-24-2017, 09:12 PM
I kinda wanna stick this in... hm. The world isn't fully generated yet, I could just slip it in...

(that's what she said)

Slaan
01-24-2017, 09:16 PM

I know hal9000 is a wizard, but god damn guppy you're talking about a prefab that would be 1521 x 1521, the initial extract including the bedrock to sky layers would be freaking massive. Heck even just claiming an area that big would have my PC smoking.

I have no plans to extend beyond that outside road, although that road may not always be a solid square around the hub. So if you really wanted to drop this into navezgane, the blending in around the edges may be a once only job regardless of how often I add/update the hub itself.

As to how I would do it, work out where the SW corner would be in navezgane, lets just say for this examples sake its -500,-1000. In the current prefab grid the South-western most point is 0,0 but the lot coordinates to spawn in that city section (although it's empty atm) would be 0,117.

the coordinates you'd use in the navezgane XML to spawn the south western most prefab lot would be (0 - 500), (117 - 1000) or -500, -883. and just like that you can now calculate the lot coordinates for the rest of the city sections. No need to drop in a giant prefab, just do it the way I do in random gen.

Now this would not factor in the offset, you'd have to play around and find one that is low enough for the tall parts, high enough for the low parts and overall creates as little terra-forming work to blend it in as possible. Future proof if you ever did do this as the -25 offset I use currently leaves me space to add stuff underground (sewers/subways etc) and it would be a shame if that wasn't factored in and you weren't able to include any things that may be added in future.

I'll be honest, considering navesgane already has some excellent topography you could really bring it to life imo with a decent sized city, extending the highway out to diersville and the other small towns, joining up the rivers etc but it is a project of epic proportions.

Guppycur
01-24-2017, 09:25 PM
Oh, I was only going to bring it into nav so I could rip it easier. Nav is faster to work with in Hals. :) Wasn't going to keep it there.

BUT, the info you just gave me saves me some research, so much appreciated. :)

I really like what you did on the north side of the river; that little hilly area. Ultimately I wanted to edit it to make it look more or less like:

https://images.trvl-media.com/media/content/shared/images/travelguides/destination/178303/San-Antonio-Rverwalk-34793.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This is San Antonio's River Walk (Texas), and basically you go beneath grade to get to it. The roof of the 2nd story is "ground" level in the city... so you would have a deep recess with a river in it, and buildings on the banks.

Slaan
01-24-2017, 10:05 PM
Oh, I was only going to bring it into nav so I could rip it easier. Nav is faster to work with in Hals. :) Wasn't going to keep it there.

BUT, the info you just gave me saves me some research, so much appreciated. :)

I really like what you did on the north side of the river; that little hilly area. Ultimately I wanted to edit it to make it look more or less like:

https://images.trvl-media.com/media/content/shared/images/travelguides/destination/178303/San-Antonio-Rverwalk-34793.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This is San Antonio's River Walk (Texas), and basically you go beneath grade to get to it. The roof of the 2nd story is "ground" level in the city... so you would have a deep recess with a river in it, and buildings on the banks.

That looks pretty cool, trying to come up with ways of removing all the vertical drops, especially in the river area is frustrating without becoming repetitive. I love the effect the hills that I added have and although they are not perfect they fit the area really nice. However, building good hills layer by layer in hals is gonna have me in spectacles before long lol and I promised myself when I added the newest one in the as yet unreleased version, no more hills for a while ( tho this one is the best looking yet!).

Slaan
01-24-2017, 10:08 PM

Because there are not enough tunnels already!

Guppycur
01-24-2017, 10:14 PM
Building hills in Hals does indeed take time...

...but ripping hills from RWG or NAV, then placing them into your prefab, takes very little time at all. ;)

Especially if you're fluent in the new multi-instance feature (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCbwtQhhm7E&feature=youtu.be) I asked Hal to put in. :)

- - - Updated - - -

In your case (And I'm making up numbers here), I would rip a hill range, cut the layers to the height of your enbankment, say 12, cut the depth, width, and call it a day.

Slaan
01-24-2017, 11:28 PM
Building hills in Hals does indeed take time...

...but ripping hills from RWG or NAV, then placing them into your prefab, takes very little time at all. ;)

Especially if you're fluent in the new multi-instance feature (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCbwtQhhm7E&feature=youtu.be) I asked Hal to put in. :)

- - - Updated - - -

In your case (And I'm making up numbers here), I would rip a hill range, cut the layers to the height of your enbankment, say 12, cut the depth, width, and call it a day.

Multi window!? I copy/paste like a pro in just one! I've actually used that method in the past and theres times when it's great even if it's just a starting point. I think I should re-visit this technique but sometimes, especially working between streets or around sections of highway the layer by layer approach is the more painstakingly thorough one. Imagine when people start wanting smoother hills and I have to start adjusting densities, my optician is gonna be rich.

wolverine576
01-25-2017, 12:12 AM
Adjust the cell rule to any coords you like, atm getting it exactly 3000 s and w will be slightly problematic due to the cell sizes required to spawn in the hub. However, this will not be as much of an issue from a16 as the hub will go back to being centered within it's cell instead of pushed into the NE corner, meaning I can reduce the cell size right down to a much more forgiving 2000ish.

Off the top of my head, it's current cell size is 4200 so the cell SW of the center would be -1,-1 and the SW corner of the hub using that cell would be approx -4200,-4200 with the center of the hub being around -3500,-3500.

Slaanhatten doesnt have to be exactly 3000s w I just dont want it to be on the NW or north side of the map, what section of you code do i edit to get slaahatten to spawn somewhere south?

Heres what i was thinking would work. On my local machine, im going to start a new world, with slaanhatten, but use the seed name from my current map. That way slaahatten will "properly" spawn, hopefully in the south, cause my base is in the north, ill then add the region files, after exploring them locally, to my dedi, over-writing the existing regions...In therory lol

Slaan
01-25-2017, 05:47 PM
Slaanhatten doesnt have to be exactly 3000s w I just dont want it to be on the NW or north side of the map, what section of you code do i edit to get slaahatten to spawn somewhere south?

Heres what i was thinking would work. On my local machine, im going to start a new world, with slaanhatten, but use the seed name from my current map. That way slaahatten will "properly" spawn, hopefully in the south, cause my base is in the north, ill then add the region files, after exploring them locally, to my dedi, over-writing the existing regions...In therory lol

That should work, just adjust the cell rule to push it wherever you want it and copy/paste the regions it spawns into. It's the way we get around the bug that crashes out the server when the hub is generated for the first time.

wolverine576
01-25-2017, 07:18 PM
That should work, just adjust the cell rule to push it wherever you want it and copy/paste the regions it spawns into. It's the way we get around the bug that crashes out the server when the hub is generated for the first time.

So i got SLaanhtten Integrated into an existing map, It spawned in the lower NE corner, next to a lake, about 50 meters ABOVE the lake, makes for an interesting view, not yet jumped off the side yet into the water lol :)

ZonMaxIII
01-26-2017, 04:35 PM
Great job! Thanks!
My fresh dedicated server seems to run fine with your project and Valmod 4.6.

Slaan
01-26-2017, 09:52 PM
So i got SLaanhtten Integrated into an existing map, It spawned in the lower NE corner, next to a lake, about 50 meters ABOVE the lake, makes for an interesting view, not yet jumped off the side yet into the water lol :)

I guess it being there with some strangeness is better than not at all! it's not a perfect method but we've done ok using it on the initial server setup when we push out a new game.

seanzy13
01-28-2017, 09:09 PM
I am not able to make it run with the compo pack mixers. It works fine with the included mixer, but won't work with any of the mixers you have listed that require compo pack. I'm sure I have installed the latest download. Is anyone else seen these issues?

wolverine576
01-30-2017, 12:16 PM
If you use a different mixer, you have to add slaanhatten to that mixer, how to is in original post

Slaan
01-30-2017, 03:20 PM
I am not able to make it run with the compo pack mixers. It works fine with the included mixer, but won't work with any of the mixers you have listed that require compo pack. I'm sure I have installed the latest download. Is anyone else seen these issues?

Check the original post, there's a mixer that includes compo pack prefabs available via a separate link. You can add the hub manually, however it currently requires an unusually large cell size to fit the hub and still have room to blend out. Ofc adjusting the cell size by such a large amount requires some kind of effort to be made with the rest of the mixer to adequately fill the rest of the map (you will get roughly half as many cells in the playable area and the default wilderness spawning is for cells less than half the size I use).

The extra mixer I linked is far from perfect, we run a version of it atm on our dedi server at http://www.northern-lan.co.uk/7d2d/ if you wanted to look at the webmap and catch a glimpse of how it's spawned for us.

wolverine576
02-07-2017, 01:07 AM
Not sure of what it is called....Ill call it the coal plant, the place that has the red furnaces with 9 forges under them...WEll it is very unstable, i managed to cave in the roof, and 2 floors of it...

Screenshot 1 (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=858776676)

Screenshot 2 (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=858776663)

Slaan
02-08-2017, 12:01 AM
Yeah theres a few spots where if you break anything the whole lot comes down, I'll defo fix it so it's not so bad but generally on a smaller scale I leave that stuff in. Fallen skyscraper claims a soul every play through on our live server ;D.

On a separate note, update time! will edit the OP

wolverine576
02-08-2017, 01:21 AM
Yeah theres a few spots where if you break anything the whole lot comes down, I'll defo fix it so it's not so bad but generally on a smaller scale I leave that stuff in. Fallen skyscraper claims a soul every play through on our live server ;D.

On a separate note, update time! will edit the OP

Been waiting for this! Thank you!

Jolly
02-08-2017, 08:37 AM
I was looking forward to this but every game i start ends up with a rendering problem that wont go away. Everything seems to be messed up since 15.2 dropped.

Slaan
02-08-2017, 03:48 PM
I was looking forward to this but every game i start ends up with a rendering problem that wont go away. Everything seems to be messed up since 15.2 dropped.

Is this in a single player game or local MP/dedi server?

Jolly
02-08-2017, 11:21 PM
Single Player Random Gen - I suppose its not supposed to work in SP ? I was testing it to see if i should load it on my server which runs the True Survivor mod.

While I have your attention - is it possible to increase the map size in the mixer ? I tried one out that didnt work at all by changing the 10000 to 25000 and the radiation to 20000 - 25000. Should that work ?

Also how would i change the tracks that branch off the roads to asphalt ?

wolverine576
02-09-2017, 01:02 AM
Single Player Random Gen - I suppose its not supposed to work in SP ? I was testing it to see if i should load it on my server which runs the True Survivor mod.

While I have your attention - is it possible to increase the map size in the mixer ? I tried one out that didnt work at all by changing the 10000 to 25000 and the radiation to 20000 - 25000. Should that work ?

I run True Survival and SlaaHatten, Did you add SLaanHatten to the true survivor mixer?

Slaan
02-09-2017, 10:34 AM

Single player should work fine, it's local MP/dedi servers that have a bug requiring the hub to be pre-generated or suffer death by error spam. So if your only in SP then I'm not sure if the rending problem you encountered is project related.

It's been a while but increasing the generation distance used to be all that was required, this was before we had the extra biome settings too so the radiation increase might also be needed I'm honestly not sure.

The tracks materials are handeled in the wilderness rules within the rwgmixer (just below the hub rules), <path_material value="gravel" /> is where you would drop in asphalt or any other material.

Jolly
02-09-2017, 12:02 PM
I run True Survival and SlaaHatten, Did you add SLaanHatten to the true survivor mixer?
No i just used the SlaanH one for testing. i saw the youtube thing on how to do it though. I'll keep testing.

wolverine576
02-10-2017, 12:52 AM
No i just used the SlaanH one for testing. i saw the youtube thing on how to do it though. I'll keep testing.

I had to add Slaan to TS, i found the tutorial slaan made to add SLaanhatten to another mixer easy

LogicAudio
02-10-2017, 07:35 PM
Hi Slaan, I first want to say WOW AMAZING WORK!! I finally got Slaanhatten to appear on my random gen map, but I have a question. (Im sorry if this has been answered before)

My question is, is it normal to still see the original map outside my view distance? I still see mountains and valleys up until i get closer then SlannHatten appears. DId I miss something in the instructions?

Does it have to do with the rwgmixer file? Id appreciate some insight guys thanks.

EDIT: been rereading... i didn't explore the whole city, could this explain my problem??

wolverine576
02-11-2017, 01:40 AM
Hi Slaan, I first want to say WOW AMAZING WORK!! I finally got Slaanhatten to appear on my random gen map, but I have a question. (Im sorry if this has been answered before)

My question is, is it normal to still see the original map outside my view distance? I still see mountains and valleys up until i get closer then SlannHatten appears. DId I miss something in the instructions?

Does it have to do with the rwgmixer file? Id appreciate some insight guys thanks.

EDIT: been rereading... i didn't explore the whole city, could this explain my problem??

That is normal, its an issue wtih PIMPS and distant terrain generating.

LogicAudio
02-11-2017, 01:53 AM
That is normal, its an issue wtih PIMPS and distant terrain generating.

Just to be clear, it's almost like I have two maps at once now.. from a distance the original land outline, and now when I get closer SLaanHatten

wolverine576
02-11-2017, 03:05 AM
Maps generate a certain distance away, ever since pimps add in distance terrain, think A15, when playing slaanhatten, you only see a certain distance of slaan. Your game is rendering the distance after where it stops rendering Slaan, so it rendering the map, like slaan isnt even there, but it is....best ii can explain it lol

LogicAudio
02-11-2017, 05:00 AM
Maps generate a certain distance away, ever since pimps add in distance terrain, think A15, when playing slaanhatten, you only see a certain distance of slaan. Your game is rendering the distance after where it stops rendering Slaan, so it rendering the map, like slaan isnt even there, but it is....best ii can explain it lol

Ok I think I get it... but basically then I have installed it correctly and this is normal?

LogicAudio
02-11-2017, 05:19 AM
I forgot to mention, I was playing around yesterday and I replaced the original rwgmixer to my game and I do not seem to see any difference. What does that file do in this scenario? do i actually need to add the one given by Slaan?

seanzy13
02-11-2017, 06:45 AM
Check the original post, there's a mixer that includes compo pack prefabs available via a separate link. You can add the hub manually, however it currently requires an unusually large cell size to fit the hub and still have room to blend out. Ofc adjusting the cell size by such a large amount requires some kind of effort to be made with the rest of the mixer to adequately fill the rest of the map (you will get roughly half as many cells in the playable area and the default wilderness spawning is for cells less than half the size I use).

The extra mixer I linked is far from perfect, we run a version of it atm on our dedi server at http://www.northern-lan.co.uk/7d2d/ if you wanted to look at the webmap and catch a glimpse of how it's spawned for us.

I was not trying to add it manually, was using the mixer I saw linked that you had already modified. I am looking back at the original post and I'm not seeing a link to that mixer. Says you edited it 3 days to add a link to the compo pack mixer, but I'm just not seeing there. Am I missing something?

Slaan
02-11-2017, 11:00 AM
I was not trying to add it manually, was using the mixer I saw linked that you had already modified. I am looking back at the original post and I'm not seeing a link to that mixer. Says you edited it 3 days to add a link to the compo pack mixer, but I'm just not seeing there. Am I missing something?

I've since edited the OP as the rwgmixer I was using changed with the new version, I'll be working on another one soon as we are due to have a clean start on our live server. Here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjotoyn8741b3ci/rwgmixer.xml?dl=0) is the link to the old mixer you are talking about but you will need to re-add the project sections or some of the newer areas will not spawn in.

wolverine576
02-11-2017, 01:37 PM
I forgot to mention, I was playing around yesterday and I replaced the original rwgmixer to my game and I do not seem to see any difference. What does that file do in this scenario? do i actually need to add the one given by Slaan?

If you make any changes to the RWGmixer, you have to either start a new world, or delete the region files, so the game will replace them

seanzy13
02-11-2017, 08:53 PM
I've since edited the OP as the rwgmixer I was using changed with the new version, I'll be working on another one soon as we are due to have a clean start on our live server. Here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjotoyn8741b3ci/rwgmixer.xml?dl=0) is the link to the old mixer you are talking about but you will need to re-add the project sections or some of the newer areas will not spawn in.

Gotcha, Thanks. I will play around one this one until I see you release an updated version to start the next game. Thanks!

Apocalypticus
02-24-2017, 08:14 PM
Does anybody managed it to integrate Slaanhattan into CompoPack and has a rwgmixer.xml for download?
I watched the video but this is far too complicated for me.

Edit: Ok, finally got it, but it doesn't work. At 0/0 there is just the normal City Hub. Even if I use the rwgmixer from Slaan (CompoPack removed) there is nothing at 0/0, no City.
I copied the Prefabs and the mixer to the correct folders. Did I miss something?

Edit 2: I removed the game and deleted the folder. After reinstalling it works with the files from Slaan. Then I copied the Prefabs and rwgmixer from CompoPack and modified the mixer as shown in the Youtube Video. At 0/0 there is a normal CityHub again.

Jeoshua
02-26-2017, 12:22 AM
Does anybody managed it to integrate Slaanhattan into CompoPack and has a rwgmixer.xml for download?
I watched the video but this is far too complicated for me.

Edit: Ok, finally got it, but it doesn't work. At 0/0 there is just the normal City Hub. Even if I use the rwgmixer from Slaan (CompoPack removed) there is nothing at 0/0, no City.
I copied the Prefabs and the mixer to the correct folders. Did I miss something?

Edit 2: I removed the game and deleted the folder. After reinstalling it works with the files from Slaan. Then I copied the Prefabs and rwgmixer from CompoPack and modified the mixer as shown in the Youtube Video. At 0/0 there is a normal CityHub again.

What does the top line of the rwgmixer say? I believe you need to increase the cell size, as well.

Apocalypticus
02-26-2017, 06:37 AM
What does the top line of the rwgmixer say? I believe you need to increase the cell size, as well.
In the video he increased it to 2500. And so did I.

Slaan
02-26-2017, 06:51 PM
It would be easier to adjust the cell size on the compo pack mixer to around 4200 ( the video may bea little out of date but the method is the same more or less) then add in the slaanhatten cell/hub/prefab rules into the relevant parts of the mixer and the hub layout at the bottom. If your'e not too familiar with tinkering with the mixer then trying to add in all of the compo pack stuff to the one I provided can get a bit hectic.

Jeoshua
03-07-2017, 07:52 PM
You shouldn't need such a huge cell size, in the first place. The city should take up from 0,0 to 1521,1521 coords. One change I made, which helps prevent sections of the city from being broken off, is to change the city size in the "smallCity" hub to 1600. This will add a bit of flat ground outside the city, and help mesh it to the land. Then, one can use a smaller cell size than 4200, more like 1800. Changing the cell offset in the first line to a very low value is also important, in that if you have the city pressed up against, say, the eastern side of the cell, and another hub to the east is pushed up against the western edge of its cell, the map will generate with roads and prefabs reaching into Slaanhatten, which causes all kinds of problems, I'm sure you can imagine.

Slaan
03-07-2017, 09:29 PM
4200 is what I use to cater for a high offset and give plenty of room for the terrain to make the transition to the rest of the world. In all honesty it's been a while since I've really sat down and looked at that but I generally like to play with at least a 0.6 offset. The bigger cells are a pain in some ways but offer some benefits too depending how your setting up a game/server.

I've never had cities or towns overlap into the hub, but generally speaking it contains the loot of about 10+ vanilla towns so I like to have a thinned down world where the city is the main feature and my cells are typically larger than I imagine most would use.

Experimentation is the key tho, if you get it setup and working in a way that your happy with then thats awesome and the feedback is always useful, I'll defo be experimenting more in future to get those cells trimmed down for sure.

maatschunat
03-20-2017, 04:02 PM
4200 is what I use to cater for a high offset and give plenty of room for the terrain to make the transition to the rest of the world. In all honesty it's been a while since I've really sat down and looked at that but I generally like to play with at least a 0.6 offset. The bigger cells are a pain in some ways but offer some benefits too depending how your setting up a game/server.

I've never had cities or towns overlap into the hub, but generally speaking it contains the loot of about 10+ vanilla towns so I like to have a thinned down world where the city is the main feature and my cells are typically larger than I imagine most would use.

Experimentation is the key tho, if you get it setup and working in a way that your happy with then thats awesome and the feedback is always useful, I'll defo be experimenting more in future to get those cells trimmed down for sure.

U2 are talking about the Slaanhatten Northern Lan server?

Slaan
03-21-2017, 09:49 PM
U2 are talking about the Slaanhatten Northern Lan server?

Just the reasoning behind some of the settings in the rwgmixer, I do the modding side of things on the Northern Lan server and use that to basically setup the game for the types of things we most enjoyed through the alpha's (PvP, City combat, hardcore survival) and it's become a rolling WIP XML mess project that we tweak/add based on our player feedback/personal expirience.

So while the release version of slaanhatten is bare bones, it's kinda designed to be something you can add to your own mixer/game and use the way you like. The included mixer is just a quick copy/paste "I dont care just wanna look" vanilla job with the required tweaks to get it in the game in as good a way as possible.

Slaan
06-17-2017, 11:42 PM
Still a lot of work to do but the first version of the distant terrain meshes are complete, the views are amazing, the pimps really done a nice job with this feature and big thanks to hal for getting the commands to us.

Business district (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=949297942)

A view down the highway (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=949297998)

In-game previewer view (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=949297625)

Basketball arena/southside (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197978747455/screenshots/)

Long view (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=949008512), the skyscraper is approx 960-1000m away

Kubikus
06-18-2017, 03:04 PM
Still a lot of work to do but the first version of the distant terrain meshes are complete, the views are amazing, the pimps really done a nice job with this feature and big thanks to hal for getting the commands to us.

Business district (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=949297942)

A view down the highway (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=949297998)

In-game previewer view (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=949297625)

Basketball arena/southside (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197978747455/screenshots/)

Long view (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=949008512), the skyscraper is approx 960-1000m awayLooks gorgeous! And how did you do this:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=949297625

? Is there a way to create hubs exactly like you want to, with placing prefabs and whatnot? If so, how does it work - and how did you figure that out??

Tin
06-18-2017, 04:30 PM

Long view (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=949008512), the skyscraper is approx 960-1000m away

I am seeing a lot of rendering issues in your pics. Is that caused from trying to make it fit in the game world? or is it just from the pics themselves? Either way looks sweet!

Slaan
06-18-2017, 05:02 PM
Looks gorgeous! And how did you do this:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=949297625

? Is there a way to create hubs exactly like you want to, with placing prefabs and whatnot? If so, how does it work - and how did you figure that out??

The custom hub layout code at the bottom of the rwgmixer has a few example of how to manually place streets (roads) and prefabs/prefab lots and you can always download the project itself to see what I've done in the mixer. The short answer is yes but the custom hub layout is causing errors and cannot be used ingame, this may or may not be fixed in future but until it does the only way to get away with the 'prefab grid' technique is in navezgane atm.

Slaan
06-18-2017, 05:08 PM
I am seeing a lot of rendering issues in your pics. Is that caused from trying to make it fit in the game world? or is it just from the pics themselves? Either way looks sweet!

distant terrain is overwriting the prefab meshes and still looks a little wonky in places, it's a lot easier to pick up on when your flying around but down at ground level the skyline is stunning, you can start to appreciate just how many buildings there is when you can see 4-5 streets from the window of the house your looting.

Getting it to work well with sleepers and play nice is an ambitious task but it already looks awesome from the ground when your running around or travelling the highway, it's huge how much more immersive the city feels when you can see a massive wedge of it from higher vantage points.

Kubikus
06-18-2017, 05:33 PM
The custom hub layout code at the bottom of the rwgmixer has a few example of how to manually place streets (roads) and prefabs/prefab lots and you can always download the project itself to see what I've done in the mixer. The short answer is yes but the custom hub layout is causing errors and cannot be used ingame, this may or may not be fixed in future but until it does the only way to get away with the 'prefab grid' technique is in navezgane atm.Ah ok.. Yeah I know how it worked before, actually I had, several alphas ago, used your files as a tutorial to get into it.

I thought you had found a way to make what worked in A15 work in A16.. I guess you only used the previewer to get the preview, but it does not work ingame, and to get it ingame, you used a tool to spawn the buildings..?

Slaan
06-18-2017, 05:59 PM
I currently have the hub sitting in navesgane, I'm not sure if it's gonna be possible to put it back into random gen at this point in a neat and tidy way. I'll make something available by the end of the experimental period, the project is in a state of flux atm while I consider a bunch of different options.

The previewer seems to work fine, throws us a bone of hope that there's a bug elsewhere which could end up being fixed.

Kubikus
06-18-2017, 06:17 PM
I currently have the hub sitting in navesgane, I'm not sure if it's gonna be possible to put it back into random gen at this point in a neat and tidy way. I'll make something available by the end of the experimental period, the project is in a state of flux atm while I consider a bunch of different options.

The previewer seems to work fine, throws us a bone of hope that there's a bug elsewhere which could end up being fixed.I suspect the world generator demands to have the new code, have a look:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?64530-Custom-hub-no-longer-possible-(-(-))&p=660536&viewfull=1#post660536

I have not tried, maybe if you have the street_gen-stuff in, you can even place roads and prefabs as pre-A16. I doubt it though.

Slaan
06-19-2017, 12:50 PM
I suspect the world generator demands to have the new code, have a look:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?64530-Custom-hub-no-longer-possible-(-(-))&p=660536&viewfull=1#post660536

I have not tried, maybe if you have the street_gen-stuff in, you can even place roads and prefabs as pre-A16. I doubt it though.

That thread was an interesting read, should have known stompy would know what that gibberish meant but it does open up possibilities for sure tho im not so sure I could bend it to my will enough to make it work with prefabs 117 x 117 that are required to be laid out in a certain way or llook terrible.

Slaan
07-13-2017, 08:02 PM
Ok so a quick progress update as 16 is now stable.

We probably won't be enjoying custom hubs in RWG till at least A17, if ever. If you know better or are more informed I beg you to speak up. I've read mixed posts all over hinting that It's probably just slipped under the radar and coupled with the fact the previewer works fine with them I am still feeling optimistic this may be addressed in future but until I know otherwise I'm gonna focus on slow boating through the city a section at a time, painting, touching up and adding sleepers etc.

Navezgane is now the only place you will be able to test/play with the whole city, the socket system can easily handle the prefabs but there is no way to organise them together and as stand alone prefabs they look a little off to say the least, once the hub nears completion and if random gen compatibility is still missing maybe I'll work on some kind of way to make the hub look better there. I take no responsibility for the terrible terrain clipping :P

It's rather annoying as with a few exceptions A16 was gonna make things perfect and I can see how bloody awesome it looks just from the meshes in the previewer, tho I do guess it's not a proper mod project unless something doesn't work right :calm:.

I'm almost comfortable with the way I'm set on doing the sleepers, once I have around 15-20 sections done I'll release something people can have a mess around with, you won't be disappointed... well once you get over the fact your not in random gen anyway.

It's pretty weird as I kinda wanna be angry, but things are just so much better now... it's not fair

Slaan
07-14-2017, 08:09 AM
Sleepers in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c63QG5omk1w

Slaan
07-15-2017, 10:15 AM
New blog (http://www.northern-lan.co.uk/project-slaanhatten-part-5-the-transition-to-alpha-16/)

Pille
07-15-2017, 10:32 AM
Very nice blog Slaan.

I hoped that I could use Slaanhatten for my upcoming server but there is one small problem: "City Hub Status – 10% complete…" ^^
What do think? How long will it take to complete the city?

Slaan
07-15-2017, 10:50 AM
With no certain guarantee we'll get it back into random gen I've no intentions on rushing anything. I'd rather invest some time into patching the compo pack prefabs up as that will be the main injection of custom POI's into most servers for a while I imagine.

I've a lot on my plate the next couple weeks but have a LOT of spare time come the start of August, like two to three weeks of spare time. I'd like to think I can have the majority of the sections face-lifted by then or during that period. Once I'm at the halfway mark I'll release what I have with a prefab xml for navezgane so people can give it a spin and get the feedback rolling in.

- - - Updated - - -

A thing worth mentioning tho, there are about 25-30 sections of city that are just place-holder terrain/empty spots ready to be built on. They require 0 work to bring up to date. So the 10 of 102 prefabs is really more like 10/70 which even when you consider their size, is not tooo massive a job.

Pille
07-15-2017, 10:55 AM
Thanks Slaan. I have to wait then.^^ Hopefully, you never lose your motivation.

Slaan
07-15-2017, 07:47 PM
Thanks Slaan. I have to wait then.^^ Hopefully, you never lose your motivation.

I've been waiting a while to bring some areas to completion, things like the sewer area in the video were left empty mainly because there was no way to bring the challenge into them and they end up being easy places for people to live out of right next to all the loots in the city.

Now I don't want to have to re-visit any of the old areas after this conversion process unless it's to add some funky stuff or further improve the 'dungeon' areas. I have a massive back log of ideas that have only recently became possible (or worth the effort) and I'm itching te get into the empty areas and fill them with some love.

Motivation has never been higher, even with the custom hub issues. Sleepers I believe, really are that good and they really do bring some of the dull areas to life/undeath/whatever.

Laz Man
07-15-2017, 11:06 PM
Love the video slaan. The sleepers will bring slaanhatten to life. :)

wolverine576
07-16-2017, 03:23 AM
Been following/test/playing Slaanhatten for a long time. I love the Huge city. I cant wait to see it drawn in distant poi. I hated in pre a16 how the game was limited on how far the chunks would load. I watched your vid, read your blog, the blog was great, loved the story telling! Cant wait to see what the future hols for our favorite massively Large city!

Kaiser502
07-16-2017, 11:24 PM
So far this is the best, love roaming the city, If this had a threesome it could be considered 7D2D Beta.1.
That is if Slaanhatten made a baby with Compopack 26, and Vals complete overhaul. That would be a dream come true.

Would also put three forge slots with the vr12 forge menu. This is on my christmass list. I am looking into learning modding thanks to you Valmer and Hal. Skippy help to after watching some of his utube vids. Keep up the great work.

Slaan
07-20-2017, 06:08 PM
Can confirm upwards of 85 sleeper volumes in a single prefab working fine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQurmyhSTh4

Slaan
07-21-2017, 10:02 AM
After speaking to some of our local players and a couple of friends who've been watching the vids, there's a few things I feel I should explain as the end result will not be super concentrated zombies over every inch of the city.

It's a city. That means it has to at least look like 10,000+ people lived there. This also means that there should be around 10,000+ corpses or zombies too. Stop complaining, in alpha 15 we had none.

Game stage modifiers are set to hard and will slowly decline to easy the closer to the edges of the city you get. The stucco housing that makes up the edges in the south as an example, can still potentially have a decent amount of sleepers, but those low value loot areas will be a lot less troublesome than what you've seen so far.

Once you get so far into the city, I am actively trying to kill you to death with every step you take. Every single area is being assessed and I will shamelessly drop ferals in that area with lots of loot or whatever else I feel should stand in your way without hesitation. People soaked up starvation, valmod and other packs simply because it was hard, well welcome to the concrete jungle ladies...

A testing version will be out sooner rather than later, leave your hand bags at home tho, slaanhatten is now about the challenge of simply being there and I will upscale looting and access to the point people feel it's worth it rather than tone down the difficulty.

Ofc when Gertle heights and a party of a few players drop the server to it's knees I may have to address the spawning, but so far with some thought, most sleepers are not active until they need to be so performance is not too bad surprisingly.

stallionsden
07-21-2017, 11:03 AM
After speaking to some of our local players and a couple of friends who've been watching the vids, there's a few things I feel I should explain as the end result will not be super concentrated zombies over every inch of the city.

It's a city. That means it has to at least look like 10,000+ people lived there. This also means that there should be around 10,000+ corpses or zombies too. Stop complaining, in alpha 15 we had none.

Game stage modifiers are set to hard and will slowly decline to easy the closer to the edges of the city you get. The stucco housing that makes up the edges in the south as an example, can still potentially have a decent amount of sleepers, but those low value loot areas will be a lot less troublesome than what you've seen so far.

Once you get so far into the city, I am actively trying to kill you to death with every step you take. Every single area is being assessed and I will shamelessly drop ferals in that area with lots of loot or whatever else I feel should stand in your way without hesitation. People soaked up starvation, valmod and other packs simply because it was hard, well welcome to the concrete jungle ladies...

A testing version will be out sooner rather than later, leave your hand bags at home tho, slaanhatten is now about the challenge of simply being there and I will upscale looting and access to the point people feel it's worth it rather than tone down the difficulty.

Ofc when Gertle heights and a party of a few players drop the server to it's knees I may have to address the spawning, but so far with some thought, most sleepers are not active until they need to be so performance is not too bad surprisingly.

DUDE Slaanhatten was awesome A15 and prior. A16 Slanhatten has become awesome :-) I totally 100% agree a city should be near death type experience to get thru. the 10000+ should be a actual thing at minimum.

I def wouldn't tone it down because people forgot their nappies or a spare pair of undies. increase the sleepers and zs as much as you like to your liking. def tho think you should add a hell of a lot of zs and sleepers to the sewers tho. however you kill them they are gone unless you get a stray here or there. Because I am one of those that do use them to move about the city a lot lol. But would like what you have proposed as reality you would get stray zs coming down to the sewers even an occasional horde/herd. where you either fight or flight.

Keep up the great work Mate and here is to a near impossible city full of zs to get to.

Laz Man
07-21-2017, 01:19 PM

Thats one seriously awesome vision. I know people love higher risk / higher reward areas. Let me know if you need any custom prefabs to add. Im almost done with my mcdowells restaurant and will be looking for my next project.

Slaan
07-21-2017, 07:50 PM
DUDE Slaanhatten was awesome A15 and prior. A16 Slanhatten has become awesome :-) I totally 100% agree a city should be near death type experience to get thru. the 10000+ should be a actual thing at minimum.

I def wouldn't tone it down because people forgot their nappies or a spare pair of undies. increase the sleepers and zs as much as you like to your liking. def tho think you should add a hell of a lot of zs and sleepers to the sewers tho. however you kill them they are gone unless you get a stray here or there. Because I am one of those that do use them to move about the city a lot lol. But would like what you have proposed as reality you would get stray zs coming down to the sewers even an occasional horde/herd. where you either fight or flight.

Keep up the great work Mate and here is to a near impossible city full of zs to get to.

There's been some genuine worry about the way I've set about dropping sleepers in, but other than the impacts of such large volumes making our server die, more is much more preferable to less as things can easily be tweaked later on. There's a lot of effort going into testing (working nice in local MP) and the sleeper volumes have been re-done probably 5-6 times now as I try different things and do my best to keep unnecessary spawning as low as possible.

The difficulty modifiers are quite deceiving in some ways, at level 1 your getting spawns that you typically wont see till 20+ and the difference between that and level 1 spawning is rather drastic. By level 50, your used to being abused with multiple ferals/radiated zombies and the hub is gonna spit level 70ish spawning at you, but the difference then is not so drastic and hopefully you have some kit/perks and more importantly a level head, panicing and doing a mad dash through unexplored areas is gonna make your day rather painful. More methodical room to room clearing like a pro and taking your time is a sure way to success, ofc when 4 ferals just burst out of the front door your knackered... but even then, that never used to happen so I welcome the fact people need to be aware of whats going on or their chances of death increase.

Thats one seriously awesome vision. I know people love higher risk / higher reward areas. Let me know if you need any custom prefabs to add. Im almost done with my mcdowells restaurant and will be looking for my next project.

The days of having a quick drive thru the city and seeing it all in a day are long gone, mapping out and finding the loot just in gertle heights alone is gonna take a handful of visits, a sack of ammo and two dozen of your best spiked clubs.

Good builds will always have a home, heck even the bad ones as long as they fit in. I don't think you've got a prefab that I didn't use and before you bring up the galleria, it has a spot i just never got round to doing that particular area so it's on the to-do list lol.

Guppycur
07-21-2017, 07:54 PM
Can you make a quick video of you applying spawn volumes using pilles and explain how it works as you go? I feel like I am making stuff up, and you are likely the for most expert right now. :)

Slaan
07-21-2017, 09:44 PM
Can you make a quick video of you applying spawn volumes using pilles and explain how it works as you go? I feel like I am making stuff up, and you are likely the for most expert right now. :)

Can give it a go, just time atm is my enemy as my work shifts are all over the place hence the cheapo shadowplay vids that I can set uploading while I sleep. Those apartments were a beastly task tho, my eyes were popping out by the end of that session and I actually had to just stop but I think I can throw something together soon.

Also consider I'm still hitting some 'triggered empty volume' stuff and now I know the groups are in the right spot and have the required blocks within etc (once again, pille saves the day) there may be bugs with the system. The funny thing is in that last video, I check the console before I hit the apartments as one of the simpler groups I'd placed triggers nothing lol then pretty much everything else was as crazy as I'd hoped.

Slaan
07-21-2017, 10:58 PM
Quality is not awesome, my net is poop atm but hopefully this will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3v0HW-pjA0

Guppycur
07-21-2017, 11:22 PM
Do you realize you can use right click to resize the sleeper volumes? You do not need to use the sleeper volume size boxes. :-)

Thanks for this video, I'm watching it now and will make more comments as I go through it.

Guppycur
07-21-2017, 11:43 PM
Excellent video. The sleepers work better than I thought they would. Intelligent volume placement is going to be vital. I like it.

Hal had some comment about sleepers coming in as blocks if you do one thing instead of the other, but I didn't pay attention to what, but it may have been why they didn't attack.

Anyway, fantastic show and tell.

What Hal blank world is that? I feel I've missed something...

Slaan
07-22-2017, 12:26 PM
The empty world is what hal's editor (button panel?) unlocked I believe, I've never seen it before but it's quite possible I missed it in 15.
Main reason I use it is because it removes the need to extract prefabs (and the time it takes to trim/edit), with editor mode enabled 'prefab save' is just too handy to have and being able to switch between the ingame and pilles editor without having to close either is awesome.

I can't avoid extraction all together, when it comes to stealing whole buildings and dropping them in the hub as a fixed part of a prefab section then mass bbb imports and a couple of large extracts were the way to go. I reckon I could do all the chopping in Pilles editor tho so hopefully we'll say nay to the tedious extraction process in A16, time will tell when I start 'adding' stuff again instead of the touch-ups I'm mainly focused on atm.

Slaan
07-22-2017, 02:30 PM
*fixed*

Test version is available, the full hub and it's meshes are there just check the included readme and map for details.

Kaiser502
07-24-2017, 05:25 AM
Is this on you game to, of am I reporting a bug. Either way love your work. This thing is awesome.

Laz Man
07-24-2017, 06:39 AM
Quality is not awesome, my net is poop atm but hopefully this will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3v0HW-pjA0

Hey Slaan, thanks for the vid. For some reason when I place sleepers in game they blow up after a few seconds. Have you run into that problem before. I observed this using Hal's empty world. I just noticed its any block. Any block placed ends up falling and going poof. I suspect this has something to do with hal's empty world.

StompyNZ
07-24-2017, 08:52 AM
Sounds like SI is disabled for some reason. Can happen if the chunk generator glitches out

Slaan
07-24-2017, 01:43 PM
Enable dm and turn off physics, or bad things can happen lol

Slaan
07-24-2017, 01:46 PM
Is this on you game to, of am I reporting a bug. Either way love your work. This thing is awesome.

Theres details on the placement of the hub within navezgane in the read me included in the download. For now you'll have to live with it but there's plans to make all that bad clipping disappear and offer an easy way for people to move the whole city should they desire

**edit**

One thing I did not mention is that for this test version the hub is literally dropped ontop of the area so any prefabs that would have been there will be overwritten, but their distant meshes will still appear. Again, when it's time for a proper release all of these things will be purged.

Laz Man
07-24-2017, 03:00 PM
Enable dm and turn off physics, or bad things can happen lol

I thought that might be it. Thanks will try that out later. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Theres details on the placement of the hub within navezgane in the read me included in the download. For now you'll have to live with it but there's plans to make all that bad clipping disappear and offer an easy way for people to move the whole city should they desire

**edit**

One thing I did not mention is that for this test version the hub is literally dropped ontop of the area so any prefabs that would have been there will be overwritten, but their distant meshes will still appear. Again, when it's time for a proper release all of these things will be purged.

Another temp. fix might be to increase the air layers above the prefab so it replaces any large mountains. :p

Slaan
07-24-2017, 03:29 PM
Another temp. fix might be to increase the air layers above the prefab so it replaces any large mountains. :p

The curse of saving thru the empty world is it removes the excess air layers as I move through. BigC90210 has wrote me a wicked little script for re-calculating the lot coords and fixing the xml, further down the line it will remove the prefabs that dont need to be there too but he is working on *stuff* atm so I'll work more on a neater placement in the future and quite probably a custom nav world using herphols DLL to sculpt the terrain a little better.

Back when I started I never thought I'd see the hub in Navezgane even tho it's always been possible, now it's kinda gotta be there, there's a whole bunch of options available that we just could not have in random gen. Extending the highway across the map with prefab sections as one example, connecting diersville and perishton, joining the river up to the one in Nav. I wasn't a big fan of using herphols editor for extracting prefabs (117 x 117 x upto 70 could get a little troublesome) so I never used it, but the way it writes to the Nav world file is extremely useful now.

Laz Man
07-24-2017, 05:22 PM
The curse of saving thru the empty world is it removes the excess air layers as I move through. BigC90210 has wrote me a wicked little script for re-calculating the lot coords and fixing the xml, further down the line it will remove the prefabs that dont need to be there too but he is working on *stuff* atm so I'll work more on a neater placement in the future and quite probably a custom nav world using herphols DLL to sculpt the terrain a little better.

Back when I started I never thought I'd see the hub in Navezgane even tho it's always been possible, now it's kinda gotta be there, there's a whole bunch of options available that we just could not have in random gen. Extending the highway across the map with prefab sections as one example, connecting diersville and perishton, joining the river up to the one in Nav. I wasn't a big fan of using herphols editor for extracting prefabs (117 x 117 x upto 70 could get a little troublesome) so I never used it, but the way it writes to the Nav world file is extremely useful now.

Once your ready for release, you should make slaan hatten a separate selection alongside navesgane and random world gen. :)

Slaan
07-24-2017, 07:29 PM
Once your ready for release, you should make slaan hatten a separate selection alongside navesgane and random world gen. :)

One possible idea is that there could be multiple versions of each section, you run a script to do a shuffle and build the hub before it's added to your prefabs folder from the selection of options available for each section.

More complicated edits, say like the bridge over the river that cross over multiple tiles can just be deleted from the prefab sections completely and dropped in on top as a separate prefab altogether. So using the bridge example, I just remove it and re-add it as a giant single prefab, the script can pick between bridge A which is perfect, bridge B which is half broken, bridge C is perfect but has crazy sleeper bomb... and stuff like this can be done via empty world and prefab save without having to mess around with the usual extracting/harder to learn things.

I'd say this is just the beginning but the project is well over a year old, you remember getting this in the mail....

Slaan
08-18-2017, 05:20 PM
I'll have a fresh release available soon consisting of mainly the northern half of the hub, spent waaaaay more time on this than originally intended but things are slowly coming together now the majority of the larger custom stuff has been *fixed*.

Till then, checkout the new (but quite old) hospital area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c37nVlOOuuE

SlicksGirl
09-05-2017, 12:12 PM
how is the rgen version of this going?

Laz Man
09-05-2017, 01:02 PM
Great hospital. Those sleeper spawns really makes the place come alive. :p

ajlam05
09-12-2017, 10:02 PM
Very Cool! I will be waiting for the random gen release of it soon :)

Slaan
09-13-2017, 12:01 PM
I've yet to test the custom hub layout code with the 16.3b but I'm not optimistic about the project in it's current form hitting random gen. The fixing process turned into a chore a lot faster than I predicted, 120~ hours in and I'd say I'm maybe a third of the way through although admittedly I've literally done nothing the past few weeks and probably won't be doing much for a little while yet.

Other than the layout code issues with RWG, my biggest worry atm is performance, as gorgeous as it looks I think the constant switch from distant terrain to nearby draw distance is having a huge impact, try stacking a socket city full of big buildings over a large area and you'll start to see what I mean.

I've tested the hub in multiple locations throughout Navezgane and regardless of where I drop it there is gonna be a huge amount of work to make it look like it fits (we're talking about custom prefabs around the entire 1.5 x 1.5km hub to make it match the landscape). It's hard to motivate myself to make the Nav version look as good as it could as it was never intended to even be there in the first place and loosing the ability to spawn in RWG was like getting kicked in the balls as that's where I've always enjoyed playing and why I started putting it together in the first place.

I'm not sure the pimps intended or expected the layout code to be used the way I have and ever since the beginning I've always been wary on the lifespan of the project and would it last till gold, it has been and still is an experimental learning experience and now more than ever I think it's time to start considering a 2.0 and looking at the drawing board to see how I can bring the new RWG to it's knees with some of the old tricks I've learned but there's just some things that don't look they'll ever be possible without the custom hub layouts (or some new version of), loosing the ability to build what I want where I want it is a massive deal and is essentially what the project was about in the first place.

You can expect some form of the hub to make it into a Navezgane map *soon-ish*, don't hold your breath waiting for a RWG version, although if they fix the issues with whatever is going on with the layout code then rest assured I'll be back at it full time to try and make it work. The last thing I want is to leave over 1000 hours worth of work sitting in limbo but the flip side is I don't want to waste any more time on something that's potentially gonna be unusable.

Pille
09-13-2017, 10:13 PM
Wow awful news. :( I have no clue about most of the things you've mentioned but I might be able to support you regarding the performance issues. There are a few ideas I will test...

stallionsden
09-13-2017, 10:38 PM
I've yet to test the custom hub layout code with the 16.3b but I'm not optimistic about the project in it's current form hitting random gen. The fixing process turned into a chore a lot faster than I predicted, 120~ hours in and I'd say I'm maybe a third of the way through although admittedly I've literally done nothing the past few weeks and probably won't be doing much for a little while yet.

Other than the layout code issues with RWG, my biggest worry atm is performance, as gorgeous as it looks I think the constant switch from distant terrain to nearby draw distance is having a huge impact, try stacking a socket city full of big buildings over a large area and you'll start to see what I mean.

I've tested the hub in multiple locations throughout Navezgane and regardless of where I drop it there is gonna be a huge amount of work to make it look like it fits (we're talking about custom prefabs around the entire 1.5 x 1.5km hub to make it match the landscape). It's hard to motivate myself to make the Nav version look as good as it could as it was never intended to even be there in the first place and loosing the ability to spawn in RWG was like getting kicked in the balls as that's where I've always enjoyed playing and why I started putting it together in the first place.

I'm not sure the pimps intended or expected the layout code to be used the way I have and ever since the beginning I've always been wary on the lifespan of the project and would it last till gold, it has been and still is an experimental learning experience and now more than ever I think it's time to start considering a 2.0 and looking at the drawing board to see how I can bring the new RWG to it's knees with some of the old tricks I've learned but there's just some things that don't look they'll ever be possible without the custom hub layouts (or some new version of), loosing the ability to build what I want where I want it is a massive deal and is essentially what the project was about in the first place.

You can expect some form of the hub to make it into a Navezgane map *soon-ish*, don't hold your breath waiting for a RWG version, although if they fix the issues with whatever is going on with the layout code then rest assured I'll be back at it full time to try and make it work. The last thing I want is to leave over 1000 hours worth of work sitting in limbo but the flip side is I don't want to waste any more time on something that's potentially gonna be unusable.

Spoke to kin about the hub layouts. He was unaware they werent working. And mentioned he had to rip everything apart to sort the socket system out. He did ask what issues errors was happening so he could look into it. I directed him to stompynz thread about it but if you have any further to add to it pm me or kin or maybe start a thread.

Slaan
09-14-2017, 01:38 AM
Wow awful news. :( I have no clue about most of the things you've mentioned but I might be able to support you regarding the performance issues. There are a few ideas I will test...

I'll tidy up what I have and push out the latest stuff, this is not the end of days by any means but the project itself had it's foundations set in A12 and four conversions is starting to take it's toll. There's a few errors cropping up that I can't nail down but it's nothing that a restart doesn't remedy.

That said, the Nav version is very rough and feels like a big step backwards but the content of the hub itself is a real beauty and other than the wonky performance I'm really happy with what I have done, the sections that have been touched up are really looking more complete than any previous versions I've released.

Gotta remember tho, I can't just fix stucco_house_1, I gotta fix all 45 stucco_house_1's because of the way I built the hub which is the real killer and the thing that's eating me the most is spending so much time working with the converting/touch ups that there's been zero progress towards actually fleshing the rest of the area out and taking advantage of all the cool stuff that A16 brought us (and wondering how long the A17 conversion will take). There's over 200 buildings not including the wacky stuff like the bridges, sewers, highway and all the things inbetween and easily space for a 'few' more :distrust: and while things don't have to be perfect, one day it would be nice to get it error free.

When it's sorted you guys can see what you think of the performance, sacrifices will be made for the make up of the city itself naturally as it's always been but then again I do like my cake and will eat it :cocksure:

Spoke to kin about the hub layouts. He was unaware they werent working. And mentioned he had to rip everything apart to sort the socket system out. He did ask what issues errors was happening so he could look into it. I directed him to stompynz thread about it but if you have any further to add to it pm me or kin or maybe start a thread.

Thats great to hear, the errors can be tested simply running the custom hub test layouts that are still in the mixer. The worlds will generate in the previewer without issues. The problem arises when you approach the area in game and you get a game killing error that persists through restarts, I've never been able to get close enough to view the hub on the horizon it's like as soon as it hits the distant draw distance it dies. The prefabs themselves (minus a couple of errors here and there) generate fine as individual wilderness POI's.

stallionsden
09-14-2017, 10:12 AM
I'll tidy up what I have and push out the latest stuff, this is not the end of days by any means but the project itself had it's foundations set in A12 and four conversions is starting to take it's toll. There's a few errors cropping up that I can't nail down but it's nothing that a restart doesn't remedy.

That said, the Nav version is very rough and feels like a big step backwards but the content of the hub itself is a real beauty and other than the wonky performance I'm really happy with what I have done, the sections that have been touched up are really looking more complete than any previous versions I've released.

Gotta remember tho, I can't just fix stucco_house_1, I gotta fix all 45 stucco_house_1's because of the way I built the hub which is the real killer and the thing that's eating me the most is spending so much time working with the converting/touch ups that there's been zero progress towards actually fleshing the rest of the area out and taking advantage of all the cool stuff that A16 brought us (and wondering how long the A17 conversion will take). There's over 200 buildings not including the wacky stuff like the bridges, sewers, highway and all the things inbetween and easily space for a 'few' more :distrust: and while things don't have to be perfect, one day it would be nice to get it error free.

When it's sorted you guys can see what you think of the performance, sacrifices will be made for the make up of the city itself naturally as it's always been but then again I do like my cake and will eat it :cocksure:

Thats great to hear, the errors can be tested simply running the custom hub test layouts that are still in the mixer. The worlds will generate in the previewer without issues. The problem arises when you approach the area in game and you get a game killing error that persists through restarts, I've never been able to get close enough to view the hub on the horizon it's like as soon as it hits the distant draw distance it dies. The prefabs themselves (minus a couple of errors here and there) generate fine as individual wilderness POI's.

Has this been tested for a16.3 at all on case he has got to the problem or

Slaan
09-14-2017, 11:54 AM
Im gonna look into this now, just prepping the stuff for the mini navesgane release so people can at least take a look at whats been done so far. The mixer will take a little work compared to the nav setup but I'll rport back in a couple hours or so.