LeastConcern
02-08-2014, 04:51 AM
A lil project I'm working on:

Laz Man
02-08-2014, 04:57 AM
Wow thats huge. Is that your base?

LeastConcern
02-08-2014, 05:03 AM
I have an established base on spillway lake, but I wanted to try something a bit bigger in scale for the hell of it. I do have an underground area already set up under the pyramid for use while construction is in progress. There's a pit to bedrock all the way around the outer edge for defense which allows me to build through the night as well. The farm in the middle is something someone else set up for temp food while helping me with the build, but it won't be permanent. The little structure in the middle is temporary too. It IS going to go all the way to the top until the sides come together ^^

Martial-Law
02-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Looks good mate!

Will have to come and see it "in person" so to speak! ;>

ouyin2000
02-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Going for a Chichen Itza look?

LeastConcern
02-08-2014, 04:46 PM
Going for a Chichen Itza look?

It only looks that way now. There's a loose similarity to Giza (Cheops) in the internal layout of passages / chambers. The stairs were obviously inspired by Chichen Itza / step pyramids, but it won't look that way for long since the stairs are at 45 degree incline and the sides are a bit over 60 degrees (2 up for every one over). The steps are slowly sinking into the interior as they ascend. They will come together inside the upper section similar to the way the ascending passage / great gallery of Cheops rises to the Kings chamber. If you notice the small slit in the stairs - that's an entrance that goes to a descending stairway which goes to a subterranean chamber, again similar Cheops. There will even be a horizontal passage leading to a "Queen's chamber". Naturally, I've got a lot of space to work with, so while I plan to make these the "main" chambers, there will be a number of other rooms as well.

ccannon22
02-08-2014, 04:54 PM
Must be great to come through the hills and see this build.

LeastConcern
02-08-2014, 05:19 PM
Looks good mate!

Will have to come and see it "in person" so to speak! ;>

Thanks! Yep, come on over. It's east of apache and north of courtland in the middle of the dark brown area.

Must be great to come through the hills and see this build.

I hope so! I just hope I can finish it before the map gets reset for Alpha 7 xD

quido
02-08-2014, 07:41 PM
A lil project I'm working on:

just watchout for the big drop around it

LeastConcern
02-09-2014, 10:35 AM
Update:

LeastConcern
02-10-2014, 02:05 PM
Progress:

Fox
02-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Wow, I don't think your images are doing the project justice... I might have to see this for myself or ask to see more angles cuz damn that looks complex and unique.

Brains
02-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Wow thats huge. Is that your base?
Thats what she said.

LeastConcern
02-10-2014, 04:35 PM
Wow, I don't think your images are doing the project justice... I might have to see this for myself or ask to see more angles cuz damn that looks complex and unique.

Send quido a PM for server info if you want to check it out in person. I could make a video walkthrough, I guess. I just didn't want to slow production by doing a regular video thing. Also, I'm doing it a bit rushed with the expectation of alpha 7 soon. I'm focusing mostly on the outer shell but trying to build with a support system that will accommodate interior renovation later, if time allows. I may even do a slower, more detailed (especially on interior space) build when alpha 7 is released.

Fox
02-10-2014, 04:50 PM
oh ok, well, when you finish it, then maybe you could make a video or take more pics at different angles?

LeastConcern
02-11-2014, 03:39 PM
Only interior work today:

main entrance detail:

Fox
02-11-2014, 03:51 PM
Wooooow!!!... I'm really impressed by this.

LeastConcern
02-11-2014, 04:04 PM
Ha, glad you like. ^^ The power of old plywood! lol Amazing stuff, really. 1024 old plywood from 1 stack of 64 burnt wood goes a long ways - so far I've used over 20,000 pieces of it. Makes a great support system - doubles as weight bearing walls and scaffolding at the same time, and it's easy to remove if/when you want to build a room in the otherwise unused space.

LeastConcern
02-12-2014, 05:11 AM
Well, it looks like it's not gonna happen. My little project is too big for the game, it seems.

ERR: Chunk_8,-44 mesh 0 has too many vertices (65000)!

As you can see, areas I've built are becoming invisible / glitched. Restarting the server didn't help and confirmed that other people see the same thing I see. Hope this limit gets raised!

Red Eagle LXIX
02-12-2014, 06:26 AM
Ouch, that is the same kind of error/problem that stopped one of Fox's build if I remember correctly.

Fox
02-12-2014, 10:07 AM
Ouch, that is the same kind of error/problem that stopped one of Fox's build if I remember correctly.
Yup... my poor skyscraper. :(

You know what this means though right? That trade center that the other team is building is also going to screw up on them as that's a large structure too. Then again, they have a huge amounts of hollow areas (especially the middle), so maybe not.

LeastConcern
02-13-2014, 07:34 PM
Well, I have a theory. I'm wondering if my love for old plywood is part of the problem. Consider that it occupies only a small portion of the block it fills, therefore, every piece must be rendered even if it's completely surrounded by other blocks (of plywood).

I decided to try a little experiment. First, I demolished parts of the pyramid until the error went away. Then, I added back old plywood until the error returned. I got it narrowed down to the exact piece - add one more piece of old plywood to make the error. At this point, i added 20 blocks of sandstone (which is solid - fills the whole block) - no error. Ok, let's be sure. Added 1 more piece of old plywood - error returned. Removed 1 piece of old plywood - error gone.

So, based on this information, I think I can re-attempt this project in Alpha 7 using mostly solid blocks to fill instead of old plywood. It will be a lot more work, but it should be doable.

Fox
02-13-2014, 07:43 PM
Well, I have a theory. I'm wondering if my love for old plywood is part of the problem. Consider that it occupies only a small portion of the block it fills, therefore, every piece must be rendered even if it's completely surrounded by other blocks (of plywood).
Nope... cuz my skyscraper was made of reinforced concrete and small staircase to the top only... nothing else was used and yet I had that same problem.

What you're basically doing is tearing down some of the structure so you can replace it with more blocks till the error comes back again (which it will). Think of it as the chunk area carrying too much "weight", you remove the half blocks and fill it with full size blocks... you will still reach the "weight" limit of the chunk area.

Red Eagle LXIX
02-13-2014, 07:53 PM
I'd wait at this point as maybe the chunk stuff will be helped by the changes where they stop rendering and dealing all the way from bedrock to sky as suggested by:

We're making changes that can allow for more skyscraper like structures. Currently chunks render all the way to the sky so changing large tall buildings caused issues of poly limits in chunks. So maybe in the future we'll have skyrcrapers.

LeastConcern
02-13-2014, 09:39 PM
What you're basically doing is tearing down some of the structure so you can replace it with more blocks till the error comes back again (which it will). Think of it as the chunk area carrying too much "weight", you remove the half blocks and fill it with full size blocks... you will still reach the "weight" limit of the chunk area.

Well I realize it will happen at some point with any type block, but I was able to place 20 sandstone and not trigger the error where 1 plywood was enough to trigger it. At the very least, this demonstrates that sandstone can go a lot farther than plywood. I went back and tested some more and found that from the same point (where adding 1 more plywood makes the error happen) I can add 6 reinforced concrete in a 2x3 configuration without generating the error, but when i add 1 more block starting a 3rd column, it errors. If I remove all 7 blocks and start again with sandstone - I added a full stack of 64 sandstone and no error. Again, adding 1 plywood afterwards, caused the error immediately. So, it seems that reinforced concrete goes farther than plywood before generating the error, but sandstone goes a lot farther. I'm guessing maybe the blocks that the game considers "terrain" get rendered differently (collective render vs individual render, maybe) .

Laz Man
02-13-2014, 09:55 PM
If you can find the exact borderline of the chunk cab you build half your building in one and half in the other effectively doubling your max block count? Quadrupole if you can build on the corners of 4 adjacent chunks lol.

Fox
02-13-2014, 10:06 PM
Well I realize it will happen at some point with any type block, but I was able to place 20 sandstone and not trigger the error where 1 plywood was enough to trigger it. At the very least, this demonstrates that sandstone can go a lot farther than plywood. I went back and tested some more and found that from the same point (where adding 1 more plywood makes the error happen) I can add 6 reinforced concrete in a 2x3 configuration without generating the error, but when i add 1 more block starting a 3rd column, it errors. If I remove all 7 blocks and start again with sandstone - I added a full stack of 64 sandstone and no error. Again, adding 1 plywood afterwards, caused the error immediately. So, it seems that reinforced concrete goes farther than plywood before generating the error, but sandstone goes a lot farther. I'm guessing maybe the blocks that the game considers "terrain" get rendered differently (collective render vs individual render, maybe) .
Hmm, interesting. I wonder if torches affect that error too.

mrpf
02-15-2014, 12:43 PM
That's a lot of work there. :)

Martial-Law
02-15-2014, 04:37 PM
Just a little somethin' I need to ask...

On the main index page for the Images and Videos, this thread "line" has a icon shown on it? Next to the paperclip for attachments? When you hover over it; it says pyramid?

1069 <<< OoOoOo A shiny icon!

A SHINY SHINY icon that I haven't noticed before... :>

Whats all that about then? (Does it mean 10 attachments?)

Fox
02-15-2014, 04:40 PM
Ha, you're actually missing an icon that only us mods can see :p

Just says pyramid, no idea what it's for either.

LeastConcern
02-15-2014, 04:44 PM
Just a little somethin' I need to ask...

On the main index page for the Images and Videos, this thread "line" has a icon shown on it? Next to the paperclip for attachments? When you hover over it; it says pyramid?

1069 <<< OoOoOo A shiny icon!

A SHINY SHINY icon that I haven't noticed before... :>

Whats all that about then? (Does it mean 10 attachments?)

I'm not sure what Fox is on about, but the icon you are asking about is a "tag" - you can add tags to your threads to make them show up when searched for those terms. At least i assume it's there for everyone, I guess it could be only moderators / admins, not 100% positive.

Fox
02-15-2014, 04:47 PM
At least i assume it's there for everyone, I guess it could be only moderators / admins, not 100% positive.
Oh, the joys of being a moderator, lol...

Hey, what does this red button do? Should I push it to find out? :p

Martial-Law
02-15-2014, 04:48 PM
I'm not sure what Fox is on about, but the icon you are asking about is a "tag" - you can add tags to your threads to make them show up when searched for those terms. At least i assume it's there for everyone, I guess it could be only moderators / admins, not 100% positive.
Thanks for answering the question mate!

I'm a bit like a magpie, I see something SHINY and I just want it! :>

EDIT: I don't think its there for everyone...

Martial-Law
02-15-2014, 05:02 PM
Ha, you're actually missing an icon that only us mods can see :p

Just says pyramid, no idea what it's for either.
I love it how you edited this post! :>

You changed your response from one which made no sense and that was slightly condescending to this one which is now just "vague".

Is this a moderator privilege?

Fox
02-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Hmm? condescending? what? I changed it cuz I just looked like an idiot for not knowing which icon you were talking about.