PDA

View Full Version : [XB1] Struggling to get animal hides for a bellows

Frost033
07-23-2016, 06:07 PM
So I'm REALLY struggling to get the 20 hides necessary to craft a bellows for the forge. Can someone give me some tips/tricks for hunting deer or pigs? Every time I try, I manage to hit it once and it runs away. I do chase them but deer quickly outrun me and I run out of stamina before I can get another shot off.

Any help would be appreciated.

caleb68
07-23-2016, 06:19 PM
In one game it took me till day 75 till I could find enough hides to create the bellows, the current game I am playing i was able to within the first week. It seems odd that we cant use leather to make a bellows and that it has to be animal hide.

Oxreigns
07-23-2016, 06:34 PM
The easiest way to get the hides you need for the bellows is by going to a town and killing dogs. You can destroy the corpse of a zombie or dog to get bones needed for a bone shive which can be used to skin animals including other dogs.

Gamida
07-23-2016, 06:48 PM
Pigs were easiest I found to kill. they don't run so fast as deer so I just keep chasing and shooting arrows at them. And Oxreigns mentioned, get the bone to make a shiv asap to get more meat and hides.

caleb68
07-23-2016, 07:41 PM
The easiest way to get the hides you need for the bellows is by going to a town and killing dogs. You can destroy the corpse of a zombie or dog to get bones needed for a bone shive which can be used to skin animals including other dogs.

Ha I never even thought of that, but wouldnt it be easier in the burnt land (not burning land) to do it? Cities you usually get a small pack of them, 2-4, out in that burnt land you usually get just one at a time.

Lol never once thought of skinning the dogs in all the time I have been playing on the pc as well as console, def durrrr moment for me haha

MrSmoke
07-23-2016, 11:10 PM
When hunting anything with a bow or xbow always be sure to stay crouched for double damage. After you shoot the deer the first time, dont keep running towards it. It will run away for about 5-10 seconds then stop, unless you keep chasing it, then it keeps running. You will be able to crouch down again and sneak up on it to get another shot into it. Always aim for the head!!

Using a shiv, hunting knife or machete will give the best yield for hides and meat from animals. Axes dont produce as much.

Oxreigns
07-24-2016, 04:40 PM
Haha yeah any where you do it should be fine it's just a random luck how many you can pull in where ever you go. Ofcourse you don't want a full pack at once but you don't want to find none either. One good thing about the burnt forest is that sometimes you'll find other smaller animals such as rabbits and birds even deer that will catch one fire so they become easy to spot and you can either finish them off to skin them or they die from the fires. Ofcourse birds you don't get skins but feathers are always nice. The only issue is heat exhaustion at least until you get the iron armor on that reduces your core temperature. But you can't make that armor unless you have a forge so haha. It's a catch 22.

dsellman95
07-25-2016, 06:26 PM
from what I have learned and like they said above-
shoot when crouched, aim for the head, but the neck/chest/upper body shots seem to do better at first. (head shots are somewhat difficult in the beginning... unless you've played a while and have mastered the controls ect...)
don't chase them...sneak up for a second shot. If you get a good first shot off, sometimes they will bleed out after they make that first run.
If you have found Iron or steel arrows/arrow heads while scavenging, try to use those for your animal hunting only.
Upgrade your bow (ABC, Always Be Crafting - keep improving your weapon making skills. arrows and wood clubs are cheap to make and helps raise that skill a lot)
always skin with a bladed weapon (if you can) yields more hides/meat.