PDA

View Full Version : Prefab - Abandoned freight train

Horst
08-17-2016, 08:56 AM
Since my last take on putting a train prefab into 7d2d I have worked on the idea a bit more, and will show the work in progress here.

The current setting is a big freight train on a single track pointing towards the radiated area comming out of the desert. Obvious reason: I have to somehow cover the tracks on both ends, so one end disappears into the sand, and the other into the radiated area. To add a bit of authenticity I would like to make it look like it was stopped as the driver saw the bombs dropping in front of him (at least for Navezgane) - so if anyone has an idea how to show that with more than just missing windows and a damaged front feel free to tell me.

So far I made a first try on two locomotives, three waggons and a single container that is on top of the sand, and looks like the rest of the waggon underneath it was burried by the desert.

---Update---

So as a first try, I have made a long freight train and adapted it to be put it in the south-eastern corner of the Navez-Map, along the river... It is by far not finished, as the blocks, metal sheets, etc. I used are still far too repetetive, and the cars are currently simply copy-pasted. I still would love to hear what you think about it, and maybe how to improve it.

Position in NAV should be 1225,44,-1441....this is my first time making a prefab, so feedback if it fits correctly and if I made technical errors would be much appreciated^^

Horst
08-17-2016, 09:03 AM
Some closer pictures:

HAL9000
08-17-2016, 09:14 AM
Nice work Horst!

The tracks in Navezgane could end in a train station POI which gives logical sense as to why they stopped. In-between the station and the train could be a giant crater and damaged area where the bomb hit

Horst
08-17-2016, 09:42 AM
Nice work Horst!

The tracks in Navezgane could end in a train station POI which gives logical sense as to why they stopped. In-between the station and the train could be a giant crater and damaged area where the bomb hit

Thx! If you have a crater, you can overlook it and would still expect the tracks to come out at the other end... so I prefer hills, as you can never see the other side...

Horst
08-17-2016, 09:48 AM
I need a long level straight (north to south), preferebly in the desert...
Its currently 50-100 blocks west of the diner. I could possibly have it run along the river between river and hotel for a longer straight.

Or...for credibility reasons west of the desert cemetery - shorter train, or a train in a long tunnel which is collapsed in the end...that would mean it is comming from the direction of the wasteland factory - and noone would question why the tracks are gone in the wasteland...

Or maybe the best idea, I could elevate it somewhere where the desert is higher than the wasteland in the north, have it run on pillars into the wasteland, and there it just collapses...might even be a possibility for RWG and later fit nicely with the road-bits I saw in the A15 video

HAL9000
08-17-2016, 10:47 AM
Thx! If you have a crater, you can overlook it and would still expect the tracks to come out at the other end... so I prefer hills, as you can never see the other side...

Yeah the track would continue on after the crater to the POI or hill or wherever you wanted to terminate the track.

Elevation would be cool and could even lead to it being extended to create a full circuit of Nav. Maybe a community project

Horst
08-17-2016, 03:50 PM
Yeah the track would continue on after the crater to the POI or hill or wherever you wanted to terminate the track.

Elevation would be cool and could even lead to it being extended to create a full circuit of Nav. Maybe a community project

One straight line through might be the most realistic target ^^

Stupid question, as I'm using your editor: Is there a way to cut the left/right rows quicker or more at once? Or the possibility to claim an area that is not square shaped?

Reason I ask is I just made a longer train, the piece I need as prefab is about 10x10x750 blocks...and even loading the exported area with a claim size of 751 nearly kills my computer^^

Sorrowthief
08-17-2016, 04:18 PM
One straight line through might be the most realistic target ^^

Stupid question, as I'm using your editor: Is there a way to cut the left/right rows quicker or more at once? Or the possibility to claim an area that is not square shaped?

Reason I ask is I just made a longer train, the piece I need as prefab is about 10x10x750 blocks...and even loading the exported area with a claim size of 751 nearly kills my computer^^

If all you want is the track part then u can (off memory here so careful) f5 thru f8 it will remove left right or up down rows and bring it closer to the track. Also it saves to bedrock and way up in the sky. Remover layers. If prefab is on layer 45(being the first layer) perhaps u need to remove layers 0 thru 40 or so. Same with air above. Remove the layers above the prefab, won't need all that

Horst
08-17-2016, 07:16 PM
If all you want is the track part then u can (off memory here so careful) f5 thru f8 it will remove left right or up down rows and bring it closer to the track. Also it saves to bedrock and way up in the sky. Remover layers. If prefab is on layer 45(being the first layer) perhaps u need to remove layers 0 thru 40 or so. Same with air above. Remove the layers above the prefab, won't need all that

Thats what I do...but as I have to cut out a really huge part, I would have to press f5 and f6 for about 700 times...and each time I push it my computer takes about 5-10 secs as the "raw" prefab is so huge. I fear someone will one day find me as I have died of old age with my finger still on f6^^

Sorrowthief
08-17-2016, 07:40 PM
Thats what I do...but as I have to cut out a really huge part, I would have to press f5 and f6 for about 700 times...and each time I push it my computer takes about 5-10 secs as the "raw" prefab is so huge. I fear someone will one day find me as I have died of old age with my finger still on f6^^

Lol don't die on us we need the trains. Anyway it sounds like when you are creating a new prefab you are making the layout to large to begin with. Perhaps change your claim size to be long and not wide. Reclaim the area?

Also not to say anything bad about Hals editor cause I love it and still use the world editor sometimes but this tool is so much easier for me and once you learn it, makes it go so fast. https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?47459-Unlocking-In-Game-Prefab-Editor-(Terrain-Tools)-dll-mod

All of it can be done in game, no restarting a d you can select the size you want to save in real time. Food for thought.

Horst
08-17-2016, 09:54 PM
Lol don't die on us we need the trains. Anyway it sounds like when you are creating a new prefab you are making the layout to large to begin with. Perhaps change your claim size to be long and not wide. Reclaim the area?

Also not to say anything bad about Hals editor cause I love it and still use the world editor sometimes but this tool is so much easier for me and once you learn it, makes it go so fast. https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?47459-Unlocking-In-Game-Prefab-Editor-(Terrain-Tools)-dll-mod

All of it can be done in game, no restarting a d you can select the size you want to save in real time. Food for thought.

Well I did it the way I think to have already understood, and surprisingly didn't starve while pushing the f keys 700 times. How do I change my claimsize to not be a square?

Also: I just uploaded my first try on a prefab in post #1 here, so noone needs to wait for me to make it perfect...

Sorrowthief
08-17-2016, 10:06 PM
I'm not sure u can with Hals. You can with the other one I linked

HAL9000
08-18-2016, 10:13 AM
Definitely check out the other prefab tool for the in-game menus - it looks very handy and may give you easier access to the stuff you need to do. I don't do prefabbing so I can't tell you where the limits of it are but I'm hoping to off-load all the in-game stuff to that and leave the editor as an external tool only.

In the mean time you could copy the area from the large prefab and paste it into a new prefab that's the correct size in the editor.

It's the Backup Manager on the main menu if you want to change the size of the claims. They have to be cuboid though (i.e a 3D rectangle). Just set the start as the South-Western point and the end as the North-Eastern point.

Or you can setup the world editor to extract the prefabs, there's videos on my YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UWYxHMbmWQ&ab_channel=HAL9000) on how to set it up.

When removing columns and rows using the F keys make sure you remove the layers above and below the stuff you're editing first. If you're only editing a 10x10x750 area but you have exported a 10x255x750 prefab then you're processing 1,912,500 blocks instead of the 75,000 you actually want. It makes a huge difference in CPU time.

Horst
08-19-2016, 07:37 AM
So I have tried something different to be able to fit it anywhere at random without having to cover the tracks. The idea is very similar to the highway pieces in MM latest Video. It is relatively small, fits into the wasteland, and more importantly - if anyone wants to use my trains for his own prefabs - this one is turned 90.

Let me know what you think...I will now spend my time experimenting with the new editor^^

Magoli
08-19-2016, 07:44 PM
So I have tried something different to be able to fit it anywhere at random without having to cover the tracks. The idea is very similar to the highway pieces in MM latest Video. It is relatively small, fits into the wasteland, and more importantly - if anyone wants to use my trains for his own prefabs - this one is turned 90.

Let me know what you think...I will now spend my time experimenting with the new editor^^

Looks very cool - very nice work

I add it to the COMPOPACK with your permission

Mag

Horst
08-19-2016, 08:51 PM
Looks very cool - very nice work

I add it to the COMPOPACK with your permission

Mag

Cool, yes, feel free to do that - and no need to ask permission for stuff I put here^^

Laz Man
08-22-2016, 06:35 AM
Great job Horst, I love the attention to details, especially on the lead train car.

Horst
08-23-2016, 08:31 PM
Does anyone who reads this thread by any chance have an idea how I could make a track go 45 without modding the blocks?

I would like to make a station, possibly a bit like Terminus, as that would allow to place the train models I have in a more square shaped prefab instead of one long thin stretch. To do that I would have to spread out the tracks, so if anyone has an idea how to do that, please let me know.

Guppycur
08-25-2016, 07:39 PM
Cheat. Have your tracks go side by side, and at the "turns", use the rubble that shows twisted rebar to simulate broken track. :)

Horst
08-25-2016, 09:00 PM
Cheat. Have your tracks go side by side, and at the "turns", use the rubble that shows twisted rebar to simulate broken track. :)

that won't look very nice...any idea on 45 ties?

I might just wait for A15 and hope it has some new blocks...

Magoli
08-26-2016, 01:45 PM
that won't look very nice...any idea on 45 ties?

I might just wait for A15 and hope it has some new blocks...

no chance !!!

None of your used blocks are able to rotate in a 45 deg position.

The only block that can rotate 45deg and kinda looklike a straight something is the IRONPOLE.
The tracks could be made of 45deg rotated ramps.
Thats all I can offer - But this would look like [email protected] !!!

If we want to have curves in the traintracks I recommend to

a.)
just turn the tracks 90deg in a sharp corner

b.)
go kinda zigzag every say 6 blocks and make a wide kinda looklike curving track

c.)
TFP will spend blocks that solve the problem (but Iam pretty sure they wont !!!)

Horst
08-27-2016, 12:24 PM
no chance !!!

None of your used blocks are able to rotate in a 45 deg position.

The only block that can rotate 45deg and kinda looklike a straight something is the IRONPOLE.
The tracks could be made of 45deg rotated ramps.
Thats all I can offer - But this would look like [email protected] !!!

If we want to have curves in the traintracks I recommend to

a.)
just turn the tracks 90deg in a sharp corner

b.)
go kinda zigzag every say 6 blocks and make a wide kinda looklike curving track

c.)
TFP will spend blocks that solve the problem (but Iam pretty sure they wont !!!)

Stop destroying my dreams^^
No plates, sheets, doorframes, railings, etc. that could be covered 80% via density?

I hope the A15 catwalks and railings, etc. have something useful...or I could beg Madmole for the diagonal support beams to being turnable to lie on the floor - allthough that won't end in any reaction...as they are possibly busy with A15...

AshenTemper
08-29-2016, 07:26 PM
I'm building a RWG and, for the life of me, could not find a nice flat piece of land for this without heavily cutting into hills (that looked to be aspiring mountains). I wanted to make some mods to the items in the crates anywho so I went ahead and used this to make an underground railroad but giving it a few layers of cement blocks for a roof (and then a layer sandstone above that)... It actually ended up looking pretty good (imo). I haven't had anyone playthrough it yet but it was nice and spooky down there as you try to investigate the various cars with zombies snooping around.

I'll get some pics or something of it... but the TL;DR is great work on this! One of the prefabs I felt like I had to add to the world!

Horst
08-29-2016, 07:58 PM
I'm building a RWG and, for the life of me, could not find a nice flat piece of land for this without heavily cutting into hills (that looked to be aspiring mountains). I wanted to make some mods to the items in the crates anywho so I went ahead and used this to make an underground railroad but giving it a few layers of cement blocks for a roof (and then a layer sandstone above that)... It actually ended up looking pretty good (imo). I haven't had anyone playthrough it yet but it was nice and spooky down there as you try to investigate the various cars with zombies snooping around.

I'll get some pics or something of it... but the TL;DR is great work on this! One of the prefabs I felt like I had to add to the world!

Nice to hear you like it, would be good to see a screen shot of that here. You can also check out my other train prefab (https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?47889-Prefab-Navezgane-Snow-Train) which Guppycur kindly uploaded for me. You can work easier in snow biomes, if you want to cut out a bit for rwg, as you can "cover" the tracks with snow...
And the same thing for uneven surface - a few meters between cars on not too different height levels could still ould look convincing with "covered" tracks inbetween...

Guppycur
08-31-2016, 12:42 AM
@AshenTemper: Check out this prefab https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?38742-Ground-Flattener

@Horst: I leave and you're a student, I come back and you're a master! I see you've gotten the hang of well, pretty much everything, nice job man!

...do you have any other plans for prefabs? I think you should do the train yard, btw... I don't know when I'll be unbusy to finish mine.

Horst
08-31-2016, 05:54 AM
@AshenTemper: Check out this prefab https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?38742-Ground-Flattener

@Horst: I leave and you're a student, I come back and you're a master! I see you've gotten the hang of well, pretty much everything, nice job man!

...do you have any other plans for prefabs? I think you should do the train yard, btw... I don't know when I'll be unbusy to finish mine.

Thank you!
I would love to do something like "Terminus" from TWD - that would give me the possibility to make a more square shaped prefab with trains/train cars side by side instead a single long line and some buildings nearby. But for that I'm still looking for a good possibility to do a switch aka 45 rail.

The other thing I would love to do when I see the high Mountain in Nav in the A15 Videos is something like the "Ravine" map in The long dark has.
But I won't have that much time next 3 or 4 weeks....

AshenTemper
08-31-2016, 09:22 PM

Yeah, I actually made a few of those for myself for each biotype or area (for example, I've been customizing the city layouts so flatten them before putting something new there). They are super helpful!

The problem I was having is that my current RWG (which I, for the most part, really like) has some decent hills and the train I believe is around 660 in distance (so it eats a good part of my map since it is small) and leveling it just looked odd.

That said, last night I started playing with doing almost the opposite... putting the train above ground and running rails. Sort of like this:

Not sure if I like it yet but its fun to play around with it :)

Guppycur
09-01-2016, 02:53 AM
Ooh, that'll kill the fps but I say go for it!

Horst
09-01-2016, 05:26 AM
Yeah, I actually made a few of those for myself for each biotype or area (for example, I've been customizing the city layouts so flatten them before putting something new there). They are super helpful!

The problem I was having is that my current RWG (which I, for the most part, really like) has some decent hills and the train I believe is around 660 in distance (so it eats a good part of my map since it is small) and leveling it just looked odd.

That said, last night I started playing with doing almost the opposite... putting the train above ground and running rails. Sort of like this:

Not sure if I like it yet but its fun to play around with it :)

Thats basically what I showed in post 14 ...
took my inspiration from this:

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/4/7/9/4479.1258411766.jpg

Here is the file again, if you want to take a look: 16092

AshenTemper
09-01-2016, 12:11 PM
Thats basically what I showed in post 14 ...
took my inspiration from this:

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/4/7/9/4479.1258411766.jpg

Here is the file again, if you want to take a look: 16092

Wow, I completely missed that. I'd say I wish I saw this before working on it last night but it was a fun diversion after a long day of work. That said, I think I like yours more so I'm using it ;)

The Overcomer
10-04-2016, 08:22 PM
Hi All,

I have tried to position the train in Navezgane and cannot get it to work. I tried another position and ended up with a train in the sky. Can someone please help me as I would really love to add this in to the game where it is intended to go. Here are the lines I used. Also 2 hours of frustration trying to get it to work.

I asumed the x y z are the co ordinance in the text file but it would help if there was actual instructions on adding this one to the game.

decoration type="model" name="settlement_trader_01" position="1225, 44, -1441" rotation="2" /> (tried to find it but not swure if it was N 1225 E44 ? please assist)

decoration type="model" name="settlement_trader_01" position="300, 60, 67" rotation="2" /> (train ended up in the sky but I saw it)

regards David.

Horst
10-06-2016, 09:29 PM
I'm really sorry I can't help you much myself, I allways spawned it in by using the editor and simply spawning at my position. Did you try in A15? Because I think the map changed quite a bit, and it might not fit anymore...

HAL9000
10-06-2016, 10:24 PM
Hi All,

I have tried to position the train in Navezgane and cannot get it to work. I tried another position and ended up with a train in the sky. Can someone please help me as I would really love to add this in to the game where it is intended to go. Here are the lines I used. Also 2 hours of frustration trying to get it to work.

I asumed the x y z are the co ordinance in the text file but it would help if there was actual instructions on adding this one to the game.

decoration type="model" name="settlement_trader_01" position="1225, 44, -1441" rotation="2" /> (tried to find it but not swure if it was N 1225 E44 ? please assist)

decoration type="model" name="settlement_trader_01" position="300, 60, 67" rotation="2" /> (train ended up in the sky but I saw it)

regards David.

Hello David,

Sounds like you're thinking z is height but it's the y value that's used for height in Unity.

X = East/West
Y = Up/Down (though height is always positive in 7DTD)
Z = North/South

e.g. 1225, 44, -1441 would be 1225 East, 44 up and 1441 South. You saw the 300, 60, 67 entry because the Z and Y values are similar so you were in the right area

fireidar
10-07-2016, 12:46 AM
It could start in the contaminated area and continue to stop in the desert! You could have some raised areas at the end of the track to make it look like the desert winds have blown sand to cover the tracks, giving the sense of time has past since it was used. The raised areas could lead into an hill so it looks like the sand pilled up and covered the tracks eventually. :02.47-tranquillity:

Horst
10-07-2016, 08:49 AM
It could start in the contaminated area and continue to stop in the desert! You could have some raised areas at the end of the track to make it look like the desert winds have blown sand to cover the tracks, giving the sense of time has past since it was used. The raised areas could lead into an hill so it looks like the sand pilled up and covered the tracks eventually. :02.47-tranquillity:

If you look at the first pictures, I have tried that originally - problem is, the desert looks like it has been there for a long time unchanged (plants, wood, especially cacti) while the metal textures the game offers look much newer. So if you cover the tracks like that it never really looks believable. Could do that in the snow though.

Only way this might work with sand is to really make it apokalyptic -burrying it half way, have train cars lie on their side, and containers, etc. scattered through the landscape...

The Overcomer
10-17-2016, 12:39 PM
Hello David,

Sounds like you're thinking z is height but it's the y value that's used for height in Unity.

X = East/West
Y = Up/Down (though height is always positive in 7DTD)
Z = North/South

e.g. 1225, 44, -1441 would be 1225 East, 44 up and 1441 South. You saw the 300, 60, 67 entry because the Z and Y values are similar so you were in the right area

Hi Hal,

Thank you very much for your reply. I had actually wanted to add this in but gave up after I couldn't work it out. I'll try that.

The Overcomer
10-17-2016, 12:43 PM
I'm really sorry I can't help you much myself, I allways spawned it in by using the editor and simply spawning at my position. Did you try in A15? Because I think the map changed quite a bit, and it might not fit anymore...

Hi Horst,

Yes it was in A15 .. Now I know why I had the trouble .... What about putting it in to dead mans gulch ? There is possibly plenty of spots that it could be coming out of what is a blocked tunnel (rock face wall) and the rest is explosed coming out of the collapsed tunnel . What do you think ?

The Overcomer
10-17-2016, 11:23 PM
Hi Hal,

So I believe the best place for it is at the end dead mans gultch ... So it actually makes a tunnel in to the rock and looks quite effective.

<decoration type="model" name="longtrain" position="753,4,-1410" rotation="-0" />

The only thing is because it is going in to the actual rockface and breaking the rock formation, the white space draws before the train appears. Do you know how you actually make the same size tunnel in the rocks so it will draw a proper tunnel and then the train and tunnel will render properly ?

Horst
10-19-2016, 01:58 PM
Hi Hal,

So I believe the best place for it is at the end dead mans gultch ... So it actually makes a tunnel in to the rock and looks quite effective.

<decoration type="model" name="longtrain" position="753,4,-1410" rotation="-0" />

The only thing is because it is going in to the actual rockface and breaking the rock formation, the white space draws before the train appears. Do you know how you actually make the same size tunnel in the rocks so it will draw a proper tunnel and then the train and tunnel will render properly ?

Dead mans gultch seems not straight enough to me for a long train. If I look on the new map, the old location should still work, if the prefab flatens a tiny bit of terrain. I'm also more and more thinking about the snow biome, as you can easily let the tracks disappear beneath the snow...

Guppycur
10-19-2016, 02:59 PM
Didn't one of us do a snow placement?