PDA

View Full Version : Alpha 16 Q&A with Madmole: Volume 1

Roland
09-07-2016, 05:18 AM
Questions and Answers with Madmole is back and we have some nice cushy seats all reserved for you on the Alpha 16 hype train.

Rules

1) One question per person. Period. Additional questions will be deleted so ask your best one first if you plan to be a rule breaker.

2) Please do not answer anyone else's question. This is not a discussion thread. Simply ask your question, step to the left, and receive your soup.

3) Keep the questions focused on Alpha 16 or on "behind the scenes" development curiosity. Far future possibilities, next game, console status, etc. are off the table.

4) Read the threads and do not post duplicate questions. Please note: Turrets? and Flamethrowers? and Cars for passengers? are all duplicate questions. (Psst...the answer is: maybe)

And Finally....

Q: When is Alpha 16 going to be released?
A: When it's done.

The Gronk
10-06-2016, 08:19 PM
Only one question and I have so many! Better make it a good one!

Can you describe, in as many words as possible, the current or future (if applicable) AI system used by game.

Subquake
10-06-2016, 08:19 PM
Can we have a block shape selection window open on mouse right click and rotation of block mapped to middle mouse button or other keyboard button? Something like this:

http://i.imgur.com/K4nJnW6.png (http://i.imgur.com/K4nJnW6.png)

Roland
10-06-2016, 08:22 PM
Madmole, with the breadcrumb system will the issue of zombies spinning in circles directly below players when the player is out of reach on an upper floor be resolved for all regular zombies? I'm happy about the new ramming special ability but I'd like to see some behavior change in all the regular zeds (when they can't reach you) as well.

Trekkan
10-06-2016, 08:28 PM
Do you think you will have some time in A16 to put some emphasis on the telnet output? I write the 7D2D RAT server manager and it would be nice to get information such as when someone kills a zombie, what type of zombie it was, what weapon was used, etc. I could go into more detail, but will save that for another thread post, if you answer that you might have some time to improve that area a little. =) Of course, if it is easy to do, you can always do it in an A15 release and I'd be okay with that. ;)

Brian9824
10-06-2016, 08:30 PM
Will we be seeing a change with the current issues of zombies spawning in right behind you?

SurvivalUK
10-06-2016, 08:33 PM
Any additional transport options coming in A16 e.g. quadbike, gyro-copter (ala Far Cry 4!).

Farlo
10-06-2016, 09:00 PM
Since you guys are re-doing pigs, why not model them after javelina since they would be really accurate for the AZ setting. It could also be something you would need to worry about attacking you. since they are at times pretty agressive IRL.

Xtrakicking
10-06-2016, 09:07 PM
So, madmole, Alpha 16 dude!

What can we expect in terms of electricity? New traps? mechanisms that move blocks like Minecraft? (if it's planned for A16 that is)

DividingByZero
10-06-2016, 09:15 PM
Madmole - A15 is amaze-balls!

My question: How deep are you planning on taking the NPC system. Will there ever be more than just traders? Will there be factions and can we expect anything in this regard in A16?

stallionsden
10-06-2016, 09:22 PM
i usually give ya a hard time at times (sometimes its the morphine. sometimes its a bad sleep other times I completely disagree and sometimes its all 4 :-P ) but i am loving a15 totally and look forward to seeing this game in a16. what if i have only asked 1 question in like 15 Q and As lol do i get bonus questions :-P......

my question is - is there any chance that a16 might see bigger block ids at all . that way you guys can add alot more content hehe withoout stepping on those mods that add more stuff themsleves. Modders are crying out for more block ids. (PS: Roland said he will pay the wages for the day to get this done lol..he did I swear haha)

USMC_Grunt
10-06-2016, 09:26 PM
MM, will there any greater threats to players other than ferals/bandits be added to the game?
(e.g. Bosses, Events(disease,radioactive rain(damage to entire structure)fires,earthquakes,sinkholes, flooding)

AiRJacobs
10-06-2016, 09:30 PM
First off, I want to say that I absolutely love 7 Days To Die and believe that it has more potential than any other survival game right now, but something needs to be said about its current state.

QUESTION: Can you guys NOT add anything in Alpha 16 and spend an entire build just doing bug fixes, balancing, and optimization? Mostly optimization.

It would be best to save all the cool new features (like Bandits and Sleeper Zombies) for Alpha 17 when the game runs smoothly. The problem is that you guys keep adding cool new features without fixing the previous problems. Yes, I read the change logs during each update, but the game is still a broken mess. Alpha 15 runs about as bad as Alpha 13 did. Alpha 14 had the best performance.

dabentster
10-06-2016, 10:00 PM
Madmole, great work on the game so far! I like A15 and am excited for the changes coming in A16.

I have always wanted to see animal breeding/farming (at the very least farmable chickens for a source of feathers and eggs). Would it be possible to put animals in a fenced off area (or perhaps a craftable chicken coup for chickens) and have them spawn in baby animals after a certain amount of time being in close proximity to another animal of the same kind? Also chickens could spawn birds nests or perhaps just harvest eggs straight out of the chicken coup.

CongoBongo
10-06-2016, 10:13 PM
Will we be getting bigger default backpacks or some kind of additional pack we can carry at any point of development?

Maybe we can have some loot specific sacks we can carry like a Dufflebag (for guns, ammo and parts) or a mining bag for raw materials, food bag, etc... but you can only have one equipped at a time? I think that would rock!

Ld-airgrafix
10-06-2016, 10:39 PM
Are there any plans to update zombies, such as grab and bite animations, rather than usual hand slap animation?

TFONIGHTSTAKER1
10-06-2016, 10:41 PM
when can we get a preview of the world creators tools someday ?

Guppycur
10-06-2016, 11:01 PM
As I lay in a hospital bed on dilaudid, my only question is about vultures... What will their new purpose be, and what behavior changes will you make from bees.

(It's the same question, roland, leave me alone. :))

Venturai
10-06-2016, 11:28 PM
Cars. Still thinking about them? To start with, even just a 2-seater would do, though eventually of course, 4 would be better. If you're not the driver you should be able to look around, open inventory, craft, shoot through the windows, all that good stuff, but not actually move (outside of getting in and out of the vehicle, regardless of whether it's moving or not).

Outside of that, keep up the good work guys :)

Something Strange
10-06-2016, 11:34 PM
Hello madmole. Love A15 and can't wait for A16.

Question: I saw "survivors" NPCs in the spawn list menu in debug mode, could you elaborate your plans on these NPCs? Will they be UMA too?

Fyrdrinc
10-07-2016, 12:57 AM
Have you considered a re-look at some of the "early game" recipes for basic survival? For example, why can't I pour a bottle of murky water into an empty can to make a can of murky water (so I can cook it on a fire). Or have sod actually be useful for construction in some cases, whereas right now it's basically obsolete from the start? I think some of these would greatly enhance the new player experience.

giltirn
10-07-2016, 02:04 AM
Hi Madmole, thanks for doing this Q&A. Have you considered adding a melee weapon that can be used effectively on horde night? Perhaps a pike that can reach zombies from the top of walls?

Lonestarcanuck
10-07-2016, 03:33 AM
Any chances of getting skills to mod existing items like adding a flashlight to helmets/bows, or hardening metals to make things stronger and sharper?

madmole
10-07-2016, 03:36 AM
As I lay in a hospital bed on dilaudid, my only question is about vultures... What will their new purpose be, and what behavior changes will you make from bees.

(It's the same question, roland, leave me alone. :))

Are you really in the hospital or trolling?

Umm all I can promise is hornets that look like vultures. Hopefully we get something better than that, but that is what I can get done for sure. And I can justify that because zombies have no stamina and a limited CNS function, so they could in theory just hover around like the current hornets do.

madmole
10-07-2016, 03:39 AM
Have you considered a re-look at some of the "early game" recipes for basic survival? For example, why can't I pour a bottle of murky water into an empty can to make a can of murky water (so I can cook it on a fire). Or have sod actually be useful for construction in some cases, whereas right now it's basically obsolete from the start? I think some of these would greatly enhance the new player experience.

Because we don't want to clutter the recipe list up with a jillion recipes. Then you'll want a can of goldenrod tea and other stuff. Sod probably needs to just be removed from the game, its pointless.

amazombie
10-07-2016, 03:51 AM
Because we don't want to clutter the recipe list up with a jillion recipes. Then you'll want a can of goldenrod tea and other stuff. Sod probably needs to just be removed from the game, its pointless.

but then how will i make hobbiton? :)

Jackelmyer
10-07-2016, 04:25 AM
Are there any plans to add RWG tweaks to new game creation? I.e. biome sizes, max lakes, max mountain height, sliders for this kind of stuff?

ChJees
10-07-2016, 04:26 AM
tl;dr: There was some discussion of melee combat improvements in the Alpha 16 Dev thread. Would keeping it as simple as in Shadow Warrior be adequate with just combos like: Forward + Forward + Attack be adequate?

Keeping it simple yet interesting.

Examples Given: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLT6sMfAI_M

Flix
10-07-2016, 04:47 AM
I have so many questions and ideas it's hard to pick just one lol.

I'll go with the simplest one and hope for a second round of questions.

Will A16 be like A15 where the community test and report bugs and if so when will it start (no exact date required just a rough estimate will do)

Thanks Flix

Aldranon
10-07-2016, 04:48 AM
Are there any plans to add RWG tweaks to new game creation? I.e. biome sizes, max lakes, max mountain height, sliders for this kind of stuff?

Someone should make a thread called: Interesting Seeds.

People beiefly describe the area and maybe a map or view screenshot.

Deeds4life
10-07-2016, 05:03 AM
Hey MM and TFP. Quickly wanted to say thanks for such a great game. I have been playing since A6 with almost 700 hours and really love how the game has progressed. I love how you guys are active in the forums to answer our questions and take feedback from the community.

Would be cool to see a video or some pictures of some battle stations and/or the guys working on the game.

Are there any plans for new weapons and/ or traps? I feel like we have had for the most part, the same traps or variants of the same traps for quite some time. One of my ideas is to have a metal plate with spikes on it that swings to really create some damage. For example, have the plate in the ceiling that swings down when something is about to walk by.

Ammo7
10-07-2016, 05:42 AM
Awesome game I have over 2400 hrs playing and growing.
Question: will Alpha 16 RWG Map become borderless like it used to be back in the day ?

Thanks for all the hard work you and the team has put into 7D2D.

Oldbolt
10-07-2016, 06:18 AM
Thanks Pimps for making 7DTD. It was always my 'go to game' when I didn't know what to play, since Alpha 15 it's all I've played.

Q: Now that the problem with zombies not making any sound seems to be fixed can we get a 'Creeper Zombie' that doesn't make any sound?
I used to love getting the crap scared out of me by noiseless zombies, usually while I was whacking away at some wood (damn, I've typed it so it must stay).

Cheers

zombo
10-07-2016, 06:23 AM
What about socket road system? Socket river system? Interstate highways?

The current RWG world really looks great, but without interstate highways it looks... like a disjointed unrealistic mess of hills and erm... more hills... and some lakes, in the way of a few towns dotted around. Not trying to insult, what we have is great, but it could be so much more!

Interstate highways going from city to city would make travel so much more interesting, with abandoned cars\buses\military vehicles along the way. Off\on ramps, rest stops with fast food joints, bathrooms...

I am very curious about the next iteration of RWG, and I am guessing we won't see this in alpha 16?

Crys416
10-07-2016, 08:22 AM
Have you ever considered the possibility of allowing us to loot zombies thru iron bars?

Occam
10-07-2016, 09:20 AM
Hi Madmole - thank you for a wonderful and very scary game!

The new road system looks great and made me wonder whether it could be used to make railroad tracks as well? With the exception that when passing a hill or mountain, the railroad would tunnel through rather than go over it.

The horrors of walking through a long, dark tunnel with zombies hiding in small openings would be great!

Wrecked trains on the line could provide interesting loot, and new POIs such as stations, water towers and industries would add new interest to the random world.

Darcek
10-07-2016, 09:33 AM
My one Question is Will we see NPCs,
Will we be able to interact with them? will they have quest related to them,or could we recruit them as companions or pets?:calm:

Doombringer101
10-07-2016, 09:48 AM
Hi MM :)

Loving A15, really nice work on the distant terrain.

Question: Any chance of the backstory of the apocalypse as seen in 7DtD getting fleshed out in A16?
More quests that lead the player to the backstory or books that can be read as per Skyrim?

Inquiring minds want to know ;)

razor1612
10-07-2016, 10:11 AM
Is it possible to give the pig and stag the random chance of copying the ramming behavior of the Fat Hawaiian Shirt Zed, whenever you get that going..? So we can have that moment of suspense when we hit the critter! :D (Because Guppy stole my question...)

stinnaz
10-07-2016, 10:34 AM
Hey MM - A15 is the pinnacle of your creation without a doubt, so thanks dude.

Question; Can you expand a bit more on "volume based Sleeper system" please? i.e. are we talking Splinter Cell type affair where players actions have differing sound values which will incrementally add until X decibels reached, when Sleepers will then rise? So basically like Heat but with sound? A visual representation might be a good idea in general and especially for any players with hearing issues such as a sound meter / bar in the HUD which shows the accumulation of sound and limit for sleeper spawns.

Please keep up the awesome, awesome work!

Haidrgna
10-07-2016, 11:57 AM
Thanks Madmole (and the rest of the Team) for all the hard work, keep it up I love it so far and this is the best Alpha yet!

Question:
Is A16 going to see the implementation of Clothing Buffs? The current system for weather protection is far from perfect and having clothing items be able to apply buffs or debuffs on players would open up a whole new level of itemization for this game.

pApA^LeGBa
10-07-2016, 12:00 PM
Will there be more survival? like water not everywhere. faster hunger and thirst degradation. (yes would be unrealistic, but i can spend the whole daytime of a 90min day (0nly for testing this so itīs basically one and a half day on default) outside without eating or drinking, thats no survival at all. not even a bit.)

unkfester
10-07-2016, 12:05 PM
Q. Will there be controller support

RestInPieces
10-07-2016, 12:19 PM
Hey stud, what are you thoughts on adding an environmental(?) hazard that will add some cons to underground living, in order to keep the survival feeling real? Like having to craft fueled air filters, or something similar?

PS: You guys are an inspiration to Unity users with this thing you've made :)

OzHawkeye
10-07-2016, 12:37 PM
A15 distance terrain rocks - a total immersion booster - well done!

Do you ever foresee a Fallout 4 style settlement system (but with actual uses) ever coming to 7DaysToDie?

Stonx
10-07-2016, 12:42 PM

If toilets were effectively a slowly replenishing water source instead of a container you could do fill cans of water by right clicking at it with empty cans equipped. I never found it made sense that you would find 3 bottles of water in a toilet, I know the free bottles are for convenience though since the decision was made to stop the toilets being an infinite water source.

And was sod not initially mentioned as being an early game fireproof material? Because burning zombies could torch your wooden fort?

gagagu
10-07-2016, 01:42 PM
Is there are more Base dependings things (for PVP) planned? Atm, raiding a base is only a time issue. If you have enough time you enter every base.

Reth
10-07-2016, 01:42 PM
Do you have plans to add infinite player-made sources of water to the game? Like an electric water pump, for instance?

Guppycur
10-07-2016, 01:47 PM
Are you really in the hospital or trolling?

Umm all I can promise is hornets that look like vultures. Hopefully we get something better than that, but that is what I can get done for sure. And I can justify that because zombies have no stamina and a limited CNS function, so they could in theory just hover around like the current hornets do.

Sadly, my knee decided it wanted swell to the point where I was crying like a baby for them to just take the leg... Morphine didn't work, hence the dilaudid. Great stuff, highly recommend it. Takes about 10 minutes to write a coherent post though. :)

Anyway, they took 4ozs of liquid from beneath my kneecap, that was fun, and now I'm waiting to find out why it did swelled in the first place. Infection, gout, dunno, I'm just glad they were able to rule out embolism.

Re vultures: good luck with the animations, that'll be a challenge. Looking forward to them.

BioFringe
10-07-2016, 04:21 PM
Hey Madmole. Love the game. Thanks so much for everything.

Can you please speak to someone about implementing a proper keybinds.xml or the like? Would love to be able to edit my keybinds from outside the game (keeping backups and all) as well as maybe allowing for two keybinds per action (I like my jump on my keyboard and my mouse).

Thanks again.

Roland
10-07-2016, 04:30 PM
Great first volume of questions guys. I'm closing it up at 50-ish posts. See you in volume 2

Here are all volume one answers

Alpha 16 Q&A Vol 1 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVV8FLqgK5M)