PDA

View Full Version : New games to play

minchiller
03-04-2014, 08:20 PM
So I've played a lot of games, and I mean a lot like hundreds of games ranging back to cannon fodder, super mario bros. 3 and sonic to the newest games such as bf4, dead rising 3 etc. (what I mean is I've played every type of genre of game there is) and I've finally reached that point where I just get bored of games sooo easily. Has anyone got any suggestions to a game with a good story line which will keep me interested for more than an hour or so? I actually got so bored the other day that I went out and got a ps1 emulator so I could play crash bandicoot warped

Cowwie
03-04-2014, 08:30 PM
genre of game there is) and I've finally reached that point where I just get bored of games sooo easily. Has anyone got any suggestions to a game with a good story line which will keep me interested for more than an hour or so?

I think by the sounds of it you would get better value for your time if you took a good break from gaming, you sound too burnt out to give them justice either that or you are to tired from doing rl stuff to enjoy them.

LimeyRon
03-04-2014, 08:49 PM
I was browsing the Greenlit & released games on Steam earlier today. There's hundreds of them and I found some good ones. I got one for free, it's No More Room In Hell. Haven't tried it yet but it looks good.

Open Steam - Community - Greenlight

Others I've marked for later, since they're still in alpha/beta, are:

M.A.V - Modular Assault Vehicle
Kensi
Dead Effect
CDF Ghostship
Stonehearth (which people will already know about)
Dead State (also known)
Project Zomboid (also known)
Planet Explorers
Pirate Galaxy
Exoplanet: First Contact
Blockscape
The Forest (looks amazing)

Plenty of others to look at. Just kick back and enjoy browsing. I had quite a lot of fun.

Clauticus
03-04-2014, 09:41 PM
If you are up for lengthy jrpg adventures, look up the tales series. Symphonia (gamecube) is about 80 hours for one campaign run (stiff combat, but an excellent story), Vesperia (Xbox 360) is about 60-80 hours (excellent combat, best protagonist), Abyss (PS2) is more than 40 hours (haven't finished yet, be warned it has an annoying protagonist for a long time). These are rough estimates, your runs might be faster or take longer based on how many side quests you do.

Be warned (if you do decide to play the tales series), the combat has evolved to be better and better with each game, so I recommend you start with one of the earlier ones like Symphonia. Otherwise it will have an effect similar to playing Fallout 3 first then playing Fallout 1.

minchiller
03-04-2014, 10:39 PM
I think by the sounds of it you would get better value for your time if you took a good break from gaming, you sound too burnt out to give them justice either that or you are to tired from doing rl stuff to enjoy them.

I stopped gaming during the school break, I went an entire week only having the odd game of minecraft on a night time the rest of my time I spent going out with mates, fixing laptops or walking my auntie's dog, the reason why I play so many games during school time is because by the time I'm finished doing school work I don't have time to go out which is why I play games just about every other night.

minchiller
03-04-2014, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestions I'll have a look into them :)

Cowwie
03-05-2014, 12:22 AM
I stopped gaming during the school break, I went an entire week only having the odd game of minecraft on a night time the rest of my time I spent going out with mates, fixing laptops or walking my auntie's dog, the reason why I play so many games during school time is because by the time I'm finished doing school work I don't have time to go out which is why I play games just about every other night.

Been gaming for over 30 years i have no issue with how much you game, you just sounded a little burnt out ;).

RamsesIVcz
03-05-2014, 01:19 AM
Just take a break for couple of months and you will fall back in with new excitement. It works for me every time. In the meantime i do other stuff. There is always something I am not paying attention to and so I just need to think about what it was :D

spiceytacos
03-05-2014, 04:21 PM
what do you like RPGS, FPS, online games?

some of my favorites:
Red orchestra 2: very fun but hardcore ww2 game with a pretty good community.
Xcom EU: a very good strategy game
Postal 2: older game but it's still updated 10 years after release you can get high on catnip and piss on people.
If you have a dreamcast get sonic and crazy taxi (best games ever)
indie games: binding of isaac, hotline Miami, super meet boy

LimeyRon
03-05-2014, 04:35 PM
Postal 2: older game but it's still updated 10 years after release you can get high on catnip and piss on people.

Still makes me laugh :)

Red Eagle LXIX
03-09-2014, 06:44 AM
No real story yet, but another game making good use of voxels and the Unity Engine is From The Depths (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=164986685)

You build complete vehicles and do battle with them. The vehicles you can build are land, air, and sea (including submarines). You have to build everything, including building the weapons and power systems, as well as the AI for the turrets and a host of other features.

Graphics are so-so, but who cares, graphics aren't what makes a game fun.

Price is pretty cheap as well.

Development is not as fast paced as TFP, but then who is. TFP rock.

Laz Man
03-09-2014, 06:55 AM
Another voxel game out there but with a sci fi team is planet explorers. The twist is you can build your own weapons, armor, vehicles and aircraft. I backed their kickstarter but haven't played any of their recent builds. Been busy playing 7daystodie ^_^.

RamsesIVcz
03-09-2014, 07:15 AM
No real story yet, but another game making good use of voxels and the Unity Engine is From The Depths (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=164986685)

You build complete vehicles and do battle with them. The vehicles you can build are land, air, and sea (including submarines). You have to build everything, including building the weapons and power systems, as well as the AI for the turrets and a host of other features.

Graphics are so-so, but who cares, graphics aren't what makes a game fun.

Price is pretty cheap as well.

Development is not as fast paced as TFP, but then who is. TFP rock.

That looks interesting, it reminds me of Starmade, which is in space and you build your own spaceships and spacestations etc. But its not that complex like this. But Starmade is made probably just singlehandedly, and it will take few years before completion.

Red Eagle LXIX
03-09-2014, 07:25 AM
@Laz Man, looks interesting. When it gets to steam I might have to give it another look. I see it has been greenlit for a while now. Just not inexpensive enough to meet my game purchase rules (7DTD being one of the few exceptions I've made and well worth it).

brostoevsky
03-11-2014, 08:19 PM
You could play my HL2 mod Lambda Wars.

Basically it takes the Half-Life universe and Source engine and turns it into a full fledged multiplayer and singleplayer RTS.

http://lambdawars.com (Only needs free Alien Swarm installed to play, and you can download and play it now from the website. We have been Greenlit as of January, but we are still working on getting the game ready for distribution through Steam so currently you need to still install it like a normal HL2 mod).

Aresbece
03-12-2014, 09:30 PM
The only game I've been playing (other than 7 Days) is Qvadriga, a Roman chariot/management game...the race can be run in either 10 second turn based chunks or real time...

Your motley crew starts out in the backwoods of Gaul, with the hope of getting 3 wins at the Circus Maximus in Rome...the races last about 2 minutes each...but they draw you into the game like few others ..

I found this video on how to play on Youtube...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heLkoUmj79M

gamelover1
03-13-2014, 07:52 PM
I was browsing the Greenlit & released games on Steam earlier today. There's hundreds of them and I found some good ones. I got one for free, it's No More Room In Hell. Haven't tried it yet but it looks good.

Open Steam - Community - Greenlight

Others I've marked for later, since they're still in alpha/beta, are:

M.A.V - Modular Assault Vehicle
Kensi
Dead Effect
CDF Ghostship
Stonehearth (which people will already know about)
Dead State (also known)
Project Zomboid (also known)
Planet Explorers
Pirate Galaxy
Exoplanet: First Contact
Blockscape
The Forest (looks amazing)

Plenty of others to look at. Just kick back and enjoy browsing. I had quite a lot of fun.
and farsky is a underwater survival

Kurogo
03-15-2014, 11:48 AM
I didn't see any mention of System Shock 1 or 2, I highly recommend them. They're a little older, but the gameplay and story is outstanding on both.