PDA

View Full Version : Hmm... Mesh issue with specific test prefab

Jackelmyer
09-15-2017, 06:20 PM
So... I've been having issues creating meshes... Which... magically worked itself out with one of my fully developed prefabs. However this prefab, which is just some little test, won't create a functional mesh. The mesh will create. No errors. But loaded into RWG, no mesh is displayed. I'm at a loss.

Anyone care to try this prefab out too? See if you can get a functional mesh?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mzp3pe07wh9abc/test123v2.zip?dl=0

Pille
09-15-2017, 06:54 PM
The mesh works in Navezgane... Haven't tested RWG because it's too annoying to search for the prefab.

Jackelmyer
09-15-2017, 07:08 PM
The mesh works in Navezgane... Haven't tested RWG because it's too annoying to search for the prefab.

*sob* My computer is stupid then. Maybe i just have too many dang copies of 7D2D now and things are getting crossed. It's just so weird...

Thanks Pille!

Pille
09-15-2017, 07:14 PM
Ok tested RWG and it worked too.

I assume it's not just the mesh (Are you sure that the prefab is spawning at all?). Either something is wrong with test123v2.xml or the rwg mixer isn't properly configured or it's a combination of these things.

I've removed the lines
<property name="Zoning" value="Commercial,Industrial" />
<property name="AllowedTownships" value="city,town" />

and added to prefab to the wilderness spawn:

<prefab_rule name="wildernessGroup">
<prefab name="test123v2" min_count="20" max_count="20"/>

Hopefully, that's not my fault. lol

Jackelmyer
09-15-2017, 07:57 PM
Those lines removed I did add via your tool. But they're the same for a few of my Prefabs that work. I don't know all the various caching mechanics in 7D2D. I'm just going to assume it's something to do with a cached file pointer I guess. Really don't know what to make of it.

Pille
09-15-2017, 08:06 PM
Mhh ok. At least it works for other people.^^

Andyjoki
09-15-2017, 08:16 PM

bro just delete every Prefab from RWG and write only your custom prefab in every section.
in my rwg i see 50+ sphinx´s. Everywhere im looking . that way i can test and play some very fast.

jackel i can try it tomorrow.

Jackelmyer
09-15-2017, 10:07 PM
Mhh ok. At least it works for other people.^^

lol wait what?!

bro just delete every Prefab from RWG and write only your custom prefab in every section.
in my rwg i see 50+ sphinx´s. Everywhere im looking . that way i can test and play some very fast.

jackel i can try it tomorrow.

/facepalm

That's a great idea for individual testing. thanks!

Though i have tested and I'm going to do what Pille suggested and see if the xml is part of the issue. But I'll try to produce first with this suggestion. :)

Pille
09-15-2017, 10:31 PM
lol wait what?!

Lol, maybe it's my bad english (I am very tired, sorry^^). I assume that other people do not have any problems using your meshes.

Edit:

I've just tested your unchanged test123v2.xml and it worked in RWG.^^

Jackelmyer
09-16-2017, 12:27 AM
Something's up with my local dedicated server (7D2D dedi tool). I tried Andyjoki's idea and i only loaded two prefabs to test with in my Industrial and Commercial zones of RWG. Started a new game and the server built out a RWG map that was just like a typical map and I hadn't edited the rwgmixer at all. No errors in logs though. So yeah, I think I may chalk this up to a Dedi server issue. Uninstall. Wipe the whole dedicated server folder, and reinstall.

I swore I reinstalled that thing already too.. pft.

Thanks all for the help! I'll get this whole mesh testing thing worked out once and for all...

maybe.... >.>

stallionsden
09-16-2017, 01:05 AM
Something's up with my local dedicated server (7D2D dedi tool). I tried Andyjoki's idea and i only loaded two prefabs to test with in my Industrial and Commercial zones of RWG. Started a new game and the server built out a RWG map that was just like a typical map and I hadn't edited the rwgmixer at all. No errors in logs though. So yeah, I think I may chalk this up to a Dedi server issue. Uninstall. Wipe the whole dedicated server folder, and reinstall.

I swore I reinstalled that thing already too.. pft.

Thanks all for the help! I'll get this whole mesh testing thing worked out once and for all...

maybe.... >.>

Did you edit the right rwgmixer lol

Jackelmyer
09-16-2017, 01:13 AM

Hell if I know at this point. lol

Jackelmyer
09-16-2017, 01:16 AM
Yep! Like dis!

<prefab_rule name="commercialGroup">
<prefab name="test123" />
<prefab name="test123v2" />
</prefab_rule>

<prefab_rule name="industrialGroup">
</prefab_rule>

Wonder if I shouldn't have shortened the list.... hm. Still weird it threw in all the other prefabs I yanked out though.

UPDATE:

Yes... though apparently what I thought are towns are possibly really just Rural? Not sure. It's weird though. Think most of what I'm seeing spawn is coming from ruralGroup.

stallionsden
09-16-2017, 02:09 AM
Yep! Like dis!

<prefab_rule name="commercialGroup">
</prefab_rule>

<prefab_rule name="industrialGroup">
</prefab_rule>

Wonder if I shouldn't have shortened the list.... hm. Still weird it threw in all the other prefabs I yanked out though.

UPDATE:

Yes... though apparently what I thought are towns are possibly really just Rural? Not sure. It's weird though. Think most of what I'm seeing spawn is coming from ruralGroup.

What i was saying are you editing the sp rwgmixer or the dedi rwgmixer lol.

If you only have your prefabs listed in the rwgmixer then it should only read those.

Did you delete all prefabs and just add yours or

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe upload your mixer and we can see whats going on

Jackelmyer
09-16-2017, 02:55 AM
What i was saying are you editing the sp rwgmixer or the dedi rwgmixer lol.

If you only have your prefabs listed in the rwgmixer then it should only read those.

Did you delete all prefabs and just add yours or

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe upload your mixer and we can see whats going on

I figured out my issue with the rwgmixer. Largely... I'm still ignorant with it. I didn't realize how many towns were actually rural as opposed to towns or cities. And I didn't realize how the groups were being applied to rural, tows, and cities. got that figured out.

Now I'm just trying to figure out why my Dedicated Server Tool won't provide this mesh. I'm wondering if "test" in the name of a mesh is causing an issue or something. I'm at a loss. But I did test the mesh as Pille said by simply starting a new local game. Mesh popped right up. No problems.

So it's just some funky thing with the Dedicated server. No idea why though yet. Gonna poke at it with a stick for another hour at most and then call it quits. lol. I've had enough chasing my tail.

Jackelmyer
09-16-2017, 06:24 AM
Alrighty then...

So here's where this ended up. Still no answer, but there's definitely a problem trying to get a new mesh with these specific prefabs working on a dedicated server.

This is a collection of about 8(?) prefabs, all just small boxes with foundations. Slight variances on each one as part of my troubleshooting. One key point is that all these "Test123" prefabs were copies of the "test123.tts". Except... The Recreatev1.tts. That one I manually recreated using Pille's editor.

However all Mesh files were generated using Hal's latest mod on A16.3.

Pille, if you stop in on this, it'd be kinda cool if you could peek in on this too.

It seems to be tied to something in these prefabs. What though, I have absolutely no idea. I'm kind of worried that others are going to start bumping into this issue too. This is a pretty simple Prefab, but not much more simple than say a Water Tower (pond?). So I don't know if it's a problem due to the simplicity. All I know is I'd hate to see someone ready to pop off an awesome Prefab only to find that something demonstrated here caused the prefab to be a wash from a Mesh perspective.

Any help from people poking at this would be great.

Just keep in mind, the problem only reproduces on a Dedicated Server. Specifically installing the dedicated server tool from Steam on my local PC.

Just a refresher of the problem: Mesh doesn't display in game. Building will load via RWG. But mesh never shows up and the building just pops into view when close enough to fully render the building without the mesh.

strangemesh.zip (https://www.dropbox.com/s/0077apq9svtwfqe/strangemesh.zip?dl=0)

Note: I also just went through and replaced a number of prefab meshes with one of the mesh files in the file linked above. Specifically, "test123v4nosteelnop.mesh".

Odd thing is that the old mesh files, even though I deleted them and replaced them with the mesh file mentioned above, the original meshes associated to what I replaced were displayed. I replaced all the cabin mesh files with the mesh noted above. Yet all the cabins still looked like cabins from a distance (LOD enabled distance).

I dunno. Looks like the HubCellData contains the mesh data and the tts data of prefabs, roughly. But the mesh for these prefabs just aren't making it across the line.

Andyjoki
09-16-2017, 10:27 AM
i just tested test123v4nosteelnop.mesh . it won´t show up. so i made a new one out of the prefab and replaced my sphinx mesh with it.
the mesh shows 1-2 secs and then it dissapears and never shows up again... so no clue whats happening.

jackel i tested all on SP and it seems the problems aren´t only dedi issues.

Magoli
09-16-2017, 11:20 AM
i just tested test123v4nosteelnop.mesh . it won´t show up. so i made a new one out of the prefab and replaced my sphinx mesh with it.
the mesh shows 1-2 secs and then it dissapears and never shows up again... so no clue whats happening.

jackel i tested all on SP and it seems the problems aren´t only dedi issues.

Someone told me the same with a prefab from my Pack.

And i saw a prefab (NEPA-base) disappering when i went to it:
Mesh was showing fine. At a distance of 200 blocks the mesh was showing OK.
When i was nearing the prefab the mesh turned into the regular prefab. Still evrything alright...
But when i was about 30 blocks away the prefab simply disappeared and didnt came back.

I noticed that Issue 2 times yet - always just on the NEPA-base prefab
All other prefabs are working fine!

That brings me to the conclusion that it could have something to do with the prefabs paintings, because that was one of the only new (and painted) prefabs i have used in alpha16.2
In alpha 16.3 (CP29)i didnt saw that Issue yet (because iam not playing these days) - but i guess the Issue is still alive

Jackelmyer
09-16-2017, 02:29 PM
I'M NOT INSANE! lol.

Thanks guys.

As far as SP, I've been through so many tests that the oddity and inconsistency of the issue probably messed me up. Thanks for testing Andy.

Mag, as far as painting, I thought that too. So the recreatev1 Prefab I made in Pille's editor and used only Reinforced Concrete Blocks. No paint applied. Still had the problem. No idea what the deal is.

--Update--

Just for giggles, I went back to Hal's Mod A16.2 and pushed a mesh out for Recreatev1. Still didn't work. Expanded all sides of the prefab, was 36/28/10, thought maybe it was having a hard time finding the center to align or something (even though it's probably just corner placement for alignment). Still nuthin.

Just more stuff tossed out.