PDA

View Full Version : Help... Rotations... and what they mean?

bigstep70
10-23-2017, 05:43 PM
PLEASE, can someone shed some light on what the heck all these rotation values mean.

My problem is that I see a lot of POI's that are not "properly aligned" to face roads (asphalt) in towns and trails (gravel) in wilds.
This is totally immersion breaking in game but my issue is that I want to start making prefabs but if the rotations are gonna be problematic, well I dont even wanna try.
I know its something simple and I'm probably overthinking it but with a few inputs from the pro's (Pille, Tin, Royal, Guppy, Gazz, Stompy and all the rest of yous') maybe I can see clearly.

In Pille's editor we have a dropdown "RotationToFaceNorth" with selections > None,1,2,3,4... which one is North? I assume it is 1.
I read somewhere that the defaults are like this > 0,1,2,3 and the relation is 0=North, 1=South, 2=East, 3=West...
... therefore 4,5,6,7 are obviously NW,NE,SW,SE but which # pertains to which direction for the diagonals.
(diagonals are less important for asphalt/city/town but very important for gravel/wilds)

example > prefabs ;
** prefab > xcostum_minigolf(by_magoli) **
<property name="RotationToFaceNorth" value="1"/> but when I see it in game the enterance to the poi is facing the wrong way, its completly opposite the road/path/trail
I know that I can change the value in the xml for each rotation, reload a game, and test... but holy hell what a pain in the arse thats gonna be for each and every prefab.

example > hubs ;
** rwgmixer.xml > default rural hub in vanilla **
<rotation_to_road="2"/> --> E ?
<rotation_to_road="0"/> --> North ?
<rotation_to_road="1"/> --> S ?
<rotation_to_road="3"/> --> W ?
This one is a bit more simple but I need to know if the correlation is proper... 0=North, 1=South, etc... (Yes or No)

example > biomes ;
** biomes.xml > snow > decorations
<rotatemax="7"/> this is rock_form (big boulders)
<rotatemax="3"/> this is rock_resource (smaller ones)
decorations are not a big deal in the biomes.xml but I see there are prefab buildings in a few locations that are wonky in game (immersion breaking)

Its like... Doh,De,Doh, walkin' down this path, "look a bulding", go over there (folowing the path/trail/road), get to the building and Im staring at its back/side wall.
Have to walk all the way around it to get to the front enterance... WTF!?

Any input from anyone would be awesome as it will help me reorder my confusion of this simple problem.
Like I said Im probably overthinking it and will have to slap my self after I hear back from ya'll.

Royal Deluxe
10-23-2017, 05:47 PM
For that reason i make my pois with
* Pilles editor for the Template and Huge Walls (Copy layer, Copy Painted Blocks, Ability to Count blocks easy)
* Hals empty world for the small additions (See what you get, Painting single sides, Complex Rotations )

(Experience from Wilderness pois only)
The Prefab XML Rotation to North = 2 means that in Pilles Editor the entrance is on the low side , and in Hals it is South.
This way it feels best for me. i allways enter my compounds from south and make the backside in the north

Then because this thread is still WIP
here the 31x31 Template
https://www.file-upload.net/download-12732316/Prefab31x31.zip.html

Its simply a Prefab 31x31
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/888756449954294244/4FFEA0941D1FA1F17684B58A8F1A057A8023073F/
The Trees show the Backside of the Poi (if like the most Vanilla Prefabs <property name="RotationToFaceNorth" value="2" /> )
in center you find Haybales that marks additional the high of floors i suggest inside the Ground means 1 Basement and 2 Bunkerlevel if needed

The whole ground is "Gravel plus Coal" (73) that i never plan to use in a Prefab, so its easy to replace with Terrain filler (which disappears in the empty world)

I suggest to try a bit before you start to produce serious prefabs.
Specially Zombiespawn can be anoying.
Place Zombies so that they can spawn outside of viewrange
If you dont like ninjaspawn dont place zombies at the outer Border 5 Blocks deep (Thats the reason why 31x31 is the smallest Poi i will build)
Place zombies next to walls and in small earth pits.

bigstep70
10-23-2017, 06:42 PM
Thanx for the quick reply Royal but a little confused as to your north, south, top, bottom

to quote
(Experience from Wilderness pois only)
The Prefab XML Rotation to North = 2 ----------------------> thats most of the default vanilla prefabs YES
means that in Pilles Editor the entrance is on the low side ----> low side?? you mean south/like bottom of the editor if im in top down view
and in Hals it is South. ---------> South? not sure whats the difference South=bottom?

Royal Deluxe
10-23-2017, 06:51 PM
yes bottom in pilles is South in Hals world

bigstep70
10-23-2017, 07:01 PM
OK cool.... thats one jumble of confusion un-jumbled
thanx again royal

Royal Deluxe
10-23-2017, 07:01 PM
Maybe a pic says more than 1000 words
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/877499696245239647/736EC14CA4B80C9CFDDD9BC2D6A8C81D29DE8BF8/

In wilderness this and

<property name="RotationToFaceNorth" value="2" /> )

result in Pois with entrance to the gravel path, at least in theorie, in real sometimes the gravel path is placed a bit strange

bigstep70
10-23-2017, 07:17 PM
Thanx, yes pics + words = clairity
Yeah gravel is a weird sometimes...

bigstep70
10-23-2017, 08:01 PM
just saw this and had to laugh.... looks like your the teacher today Royal
https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?75921-Question-How-to-add-advanced-rotations-to-blocks
Rotation 101
LOL

Royal Deluxe
10-23-2017, 08:14 PM
If i can help, i like to help

bigstep70
10-23-2017, 08:18 PM
yeah me too
loot question https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?75923-Request-Zombieloot-change-help&p=749866#post749866
item colors https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?59082-In-game-Player-Item-Texture-Color-Mod-Help

Guppycur
10-24-2017, 01:12 AM
Thanks royal.

...me, I end up spawning it in, seeing I goofed, and trying until I get it right. :)

BUT, in the editor, my "front", is always facing down towards my keyboard (South I think?). Keep that kind of consistency when making your prefabs and never worry again. :)

I almost always build my "foundation" (floor and walls) in the editor, import into the game and finish from there. Way faster.

bigstep70
10-24-2017, 05:42 AM
thanks guppy and royal
i will sleep on my newfound knowledge, then after work tomorrow im'a gowna built some $#|^

Royal Deluxe
10-24-2017, 07:54 AM
I almost always build my "foundation" (floor and walls) in the editor, import into the game and finish from there. Way faster.
For this depends what i plan to do, its nothing special to Switch between Hals empty world and Pilles editor 20 Times during one prefab for me