PDA

View Full Version : Corpse Despawning way to quickly.

Amedeus
11-12-2013, 11:00 PM
Hello, I like to go out and hunt deer during the day for food, since its a renewable source of food. My problem is however once you kill a deer you have only 15 seconds to loot it, before it disappears. I have timed it, 15 seconds. the corpse disappears.

If you happen to shoot it at long range with a rifle, it could possibly despawn before you even get to it, or if you kill it and then have an unexpected rubber necking zombie wanting to see what your doing, taking care of the unwanted friend could take 10 seconds and now your deer loot is gone as well. This is just entirely to short of a time for a corpse to despawn.
Same for zombie corpses, if you are clearing out a group of zombies that have bundled up in a house and you lure them outside to club them to death, by the time your clubbing the 6th zombie to death, the 1st one you killed is already despawning, losing anything they might have been carrying.

A new system needs to be put in place, make them last 10 minutes, or make it configurable. 10 minutes unless empty.
If the zombie, deer, rabbit, dog corpse was already empty, no one really cares if it despawns, but 15 seconds to grab stuff before it disappears is just frustrating as you lose so much honestly earned loot.

If I spend 10 minutes of my time clubbing a horde of zombies to death with a sledgehammer at the very least, I expect to be able to loot them all without worrying about trying to loot them in order before they disappear while avoiding the rest of the zombies...

Clauticus
11-12-2013, 11:10 PM
Corpse despawning is kind of awkward and difficult to solve, because you (the player) want to loot the corpse, but if the corpse is right where you want to place your spike trap or building block, then having a 10 minute despawn is absolutely unacceptable. TFP would have to implement the ability to move a corpse, much like in Fallout 3, and I have not studied how efficient or effective their physics engine is, but that might not be too easy.

Amedeus
11-12-2013, 11:23 PM
Well if you read my post through entirely. I stated 10 minutes unless its empty.
So if you loot it. it would then disappear. I also suggested making it a option you can select how long you want corpses to persist before despawning when they have loot in them. If you want to place a block on a space currently occupied by an Empty corpse. then it should work just like grass and simply replace the corpse with the block placed, effectially simulating you moving the corpse without extra fallouty physics. Doesn't seem that hard to resolve to me.

Clauticus
11-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Well if you read my post through entirely. I stated 10 minutes unless its empty.
So if you loot it. it would then disappear.

I did indeed neglect to read your whole post, yes that is probably the best solution.

Fox
11-12-2013, 11:31 PM
5 minutes is better... the more dead corpses, the more memory the game uses.

rahzzalinto
11-12-2013, 11:59 PM
5 minutes is better... the more dead corpses, the more memory the game uses.

I think the exact time is not important as all features in this game should be customizable. The ability to adjust corpse despawn would be great. Coupled with the ability to put a block down and have it despawn will be better.

The OP basically laid it out perfectly.

Seeing as this game has multiple server types and some have 1 player some have 8, there is no one size fits all solution. Game needs to have an option to allow different players to customize to their server.

jc984
11-13-2013, 12:21 AM
yea it doesn't yep when u want to loot a killed animal it sometimes flies backwards lol. I am sure these bugs are being worked on in next patch.

Amedeus
11-13-2013, 12:26 AM
They know about the knockback. you should try using an augur on a deer, that really sends them flying.

Cragvis
11-13-2013, 05:05 AM
would be cool if you could use dead zombie or deer corpses to 'bait' other zombies, leave dead bodies around and they decay slowly after a long long time, but in the time zombies are attracted to the meat and will feast on the bodies if they are near it, eating it and causing it to despawn after a while.

madmole
11-13-2013, 05:31 AM
Sorry but the game quickly becomes unplayable if we made dead bodies stay for much longer than they are due to the number of characters on screen. Most games have 5-10 enemies on screen at most, we're doing 60 zombies plus wildlife, players, etc, that's a lot of overhead.

That said, I've raised the limit to 60 seconds for animals. Maybe in the future we can add an option for how long they can stay so if you don't mind 2 fps you can have dead bodies that stay for days until you loot them.

rahzzalinto
11-13-2013, 05:53 AM
Sorry but the game quickly becomes unplayable if we made dead bodies stay for much longer than they are due to the number of characters on screen. Most games have 5-10 enemies on screen at most, we're doing 60 zombies plus wildlife, players, etc, that's a lot of overhead.

That said, I've raised the limit to 60 seconds for animals. Maybe in the future we can add an option for how long they can stay so if you don't mind 2 fps you can have dead bodies that stay for days until you loot them.

Any way we can lower (customize) the number of zombies? I'd rather them just hit harder than spawn in bazillions :P

[I mean if my computer could handle bazillions that would be cool but it tends to get a bit laggy when there are 120 zombies attacking my base full of campfires (which I'm assuming are also contributing to the lag)]

Teque
11-13-2013, 08:23 AM

Thank you.. I hit and killed a deer from my patio on second floor with sniping rifle, then jogged to get to it, and poof.. my venison was gone! I admit to muttering a bit at that point! LOL

Stisis
11-13-2013, 01:12 PM
Any way we can lower (customize) the number of zombies? I'd rather them just hit harder than spawn in bazillions :P

[I mean if my computer could handle bazillions that would be cool but it tends to get a bit laggy when there are 120 zombies attacking my base full of campfires (which I'm assuming are also contributing to the lag)]

They do actually do that as the game goes on. Zombies in general were never known for being dangerous in. 1-on-1 scenario; they're feared in numbers. And I believe the pimps want to keep the zombie legacy of "strength in numbers" and as much of a sensual experience as possible.

xiiMaRcLeoN
11-13-2013, 01:54 PM
The zombies stay to long i killed a zombie where i was building something then i killed it then i must wait until the corpse vanished thats a bit annoying.

rahzzalinto
11-13-2013, 03:12 PM
They do actually do that as the game goes on. Zombies in general were never known for being dangerous in. 1-on-1 scenario; they're feared in numbers. And I believe the pimps want to keep the zombie legacy of "strength in numbers" and as much of a sensual experience as possible.

I agree that I'd like to have a ton of zombies running after me but seriously it's overkill lol. I don't think your average computer can handle the amount of zombies they throw at you without dropping in FPS.

The 200 zombies beating on a tree behind my building are not really adding to my experience while I'm running away from another 150 zombies inside my building lol

Stignos
11-13-2013, 03:23 PM

Any and all customisation is always welcome!

Stisis
11-13-2013, 03:32 PM
I agree that I'd like to have a ton of zombies running after me but seriously it's overkill lol. I don't think your average computer can handle the amount of zombies they throw at you without dropping in FPS.

The 200 zombies beating on a tree behind my building are not really adding to my experience while I'm running away from another 150 zombies inside my building lol

Im sure they have a multiplier that they use as a standard in the servers growing according to how many in game days youve played. Perhaps they could lower the multiplier from increasing by 0.25 to .2 or .175

rahzzalinto
11-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Im sure they have a multiplier that they use as a standard in the servers growing according to how many in game days youve played. Perhaps they could lower the multiplier from increasing by 0.25 to .2 or .175

Yeah I mean I don't really want some "lower it for everyone" solution. Considering the nature of this sandbox game, I would just appreciate an option for "Corpse decay" and another option for "Zombie Density" eventually.

None of this is game breaking or anything right now (Unless I fail to kill 100 of the zombies in a POI one night and it completely lags me out) but in the future these are "sliders" I would like to have when creating a server.

(I hate modding :P, but I'll do it if I have to lol)

The zombies stay to long i killed a zombie where i was building something then i killed it then i must wait until the corpse vanished thats a bit annoying.

OP addressed his idea for this issue and I think that it was a very good suggestion. He wanted putting down blocks to take priority over a corpse. (So putting down a block would just overwrite a corpse)

Basically everything he said about corpses without loot despawning instantly, and having them despawn after you looted them. All that sounds good to me :P

So if you loot it. it would then disappear. I also suggested making it a option you can select how long you want corpses to persist before despawning when they have loot in them. If you want to place a block on a space currently occupied by an Empty corpse. then it should work just like grass and simply replace the corpse with the block placed, effectially simulating you moving the corpse without extra fallouty physics. Doesn't seem that hard to resolve to me.

Yup :)

Stisis
11-13-2013, 04:05 PM
Yeah agreed, a zombie density level would be nice. Is the density influenced by the difficulty set in the server.config file?

Arkonik
11-13-2013, 05:34 PM

With this being said did you look at my post on physics causing 3fps when a building starts to collapse and throwing tons of by materials on the ground. Any way you can make them auto inventory to stop the high drop in fps. If need be I can make a video showing this in detail if you like just let me know.

My specs are 3.4 phenome quad 8mg ls and l2 16 gigs ddr3 550 ti 2 gig ddr5 2TB 64 meg cache. I shouldn't being having 50fps drop to 3 fps when a building comes down. didn't do it in previous builds till the falling debri started making by preoduct materials like scrap metal and destroyed stone etc...

eurosat7
10-05-2014, 12:18 PM
+1 for a variable setting of zombie despawning

Seniae
10-05-2014, 01:46 PM
When madmole says the game will become unplayable I trust his judgement. I don't think there should be options to change the setting of zombie despawning. I do think that you should just deal with the fact that you can't loot it all when in large quantities.

SoUlFaThEr
10-05-2014, 05:50 PM
I completely agree that there should be at least an adjustable unlooted corpse time. I get upset taking out an entire feral horde with 4 loaded shotgus and not get to loot any but the last few that die, leaving you with 0 reward for destroying so many zombies like a pr0.

Roland
10-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Zombie loot these days can't really be classified as a reward anyway. Back when this thread was started the loot tables for zombies were quite a different story. Of course the trade off was that you had to hop up any slope you came to....lol

Hinado
10-05-2014, 06:31 PM
-1 for necroing threads...

You can simply adjust despawn time of corpses in your game files (don't remember which model file it was right now..).

drewamor
11-12-2014, 12:23 PM
Bump. Lame to fight off a horde and only be able to loot a few of the many bodies

MetallicaSepultura
11-12-2014, 01:07 PM
let's not forget that in a next release TFP will add gore blocks instead of making the corpses disappearing... maybe you can loot the gore blocks??

drewamor
11-14-2014, 02:27 AM
I'd like that. I'd like that a lot

Kolenas
11-14-2014, 02:36 AM

Please Madmole NO!!! dont adds more useless option, soon there will be many unplayable server.

The OP lie its not true that corpse last 15 sec.. its at least 45 + sec

Tough.Resolve
11-14-2014, 09:15 AM
I don't mind how they solve it, not being able to loot corpses properly is annoying. I think viewed corpses should despawn after ~5 seconds if empty, and after ~15 if not empty to allow for quick scrapping of excess items. This should help lessen the ability to game the system in order to save time and only loot corpses with items, while still providing a way for players to kill and then loot.

Stealth2668
11-14-2014, 05:14 PM
Maybe after the zombies die, the loot should just be dropped on the ground so the corpse can despawn.

Gazz
11-14-2014, 05:21 PM
Or... when a zombie corpse with loot despawns, it turns into a small box, containing the loot.

If a zombie corpse with loot despawns and such a box already exists within 5 or 10 meters, the loot is added to this box.

Those boxes despawn after 10 or 30 minutes.

All horribly gamey but that's how you get to have your lewtz without keeping tons of FPS-killing zombie corpses around. =)

Tin
11-14-2014, 06:43 PM
Or... when a zombie corpse with loot despawns, it turns into a small box, containing the loot.

If a zombie corpse with loot despawns and such a box already exists within 5 or 10 meters, the loot is added to this box.

All horribly gamey but that's how you get to have your lewtz without keeping tons of FPS-killing zombie corpses around. =)

Wonder if they could make the gore blocks (if/when they get added) a easy break container. so when you clean/smash them to remove them, they release the contents at that point.

Kojakk
12-14-2014, 08:32 PM

Funny, you posted the same idea I had (http://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?17517-Corpse-decay-supply-crate&highlight=corpse+decay)

I would really like to see something done about it. I get really frustrated spending resources wiping out a large number of enemies only to have them despawn before I can loot them.