Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nails? Where are you?

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Scyris View Post
    Bones are not that precious, I can see what ya mean, but if you need that 5 duct tape for your first forge, its probally worth it to use the 10 bones. Earlier you get a running forge the better for you in the long run I find. As for nails, I find them a lot in trash bags, usually have more than I need before I even can even unlock the forge recipie. I just keep 5 nails and scrap the rest I find usually.
    The forge is not that really important to me in this playthrough because I was lucky to find a trader with a working forge, workbench and even the cement mixer works. And I lootet some iron tools level 2 on day 3.

Most of the people who have issues with a17 are the lazy ones, like one guy is whining about lack of cooking pot or meat, when he is bascally sitting like a turtle in the same chunk insted of exploring places he hasn't been, I mean the grey fog of war on the map is a good indication of where you haven't been yet. By day 6 I usually have 50+ bacon and eggs, a ton of spare meat, pretty much unlimited water. It just blows my mind how much trouble people seem to have. Especally when more often than not it just boils down to the player being lazy and expecting zombies to deliver the stuff to them. You gotta get rid of that mentality, zombies have a 3% chance to drop a loot bag, and stuff like nails, cooking pots, and simmlar things usually aren't in them.
    I had no cooking pot until day 2 and now I find them everywhere.

The most difficult thing to find was acid. Took me nearly 2 days on a 120 minute day to find 2 cans of acid. But now I have my bicycle and this helps me a lot. Next thing on my list is a beaker.
    Last edited by RipClaw; 12-23-2018 at 06:38 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    lulz.....

I'm like a damn hoarder. I open EVERYTHING... 2 minutes into the game, and I am THE SLOWEST person on the server. I always scrap things I dont need.

Things you need, when you are a just starting:

Cans - for water (no need for a pot right away)
    Snow - can make water out of it in cans
    Nails - for forge and boxes
    Leather - for forge
    Canned food (to eat, obviously)
    Scrap iron - to make an iron reinforced club so bashing zombies gets easier and cheaper.
    Feathers - for arrows
    Rocks - to repair your stone axe.

Skills, especially from starter quest, use them on miner 69'er, pack mule and mother load. more materials, more weight and hit harder when materials farming. you can also add a point into intelligence. higher durability on tools.
    + Ammo
    + Trading stuff (and i mean a ton of them)
    + All Food (well most you can eat right away)
    + Tools
    + Weapons
    + Bones
    + Glue
    + Duct Tape
    + Wood
    + Stones
    + lcb
    + ....

Encumberance affect you too early and too harsh. Thats why dont even start a game on a bad spot.
    Since a few days i start only a game if my startpoint is good enough to have all i need until Minibike

Sure you can place lootboxes. Too many of them disturbing me
    Last edited by Royal Deluxe; 12-23-2018 at 06:07 PM.

Not having any problems with nails.
    Found plenty right away.

I can see, however, how that might be frustrating to some players who just don't have any luck.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyStar View Post
    Not having any problems with nails.
    Found plenty right away.

I can see, however, how that might be frustrating to some players who just don't have any luck.
    Thats the whole point. RNG and luck. Some games start nice and some horrendous.
    This game
    - 10+ Foodcrates = 1 can of food
    - No nails
    - Local Trader no (startgame) Tools or weapons
    - No Jacket (still freeze in Snow biome)
    + Coat and clothes for Desert biome
    + Q2 Auger on day 6
    + Q5 Sledgehamer on day 2

and understand m right this is no rant, only a "statusreport" ^^
    Last edited by Royal Deluxe; 12-23-2018 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RipClaw View Post
    The forge is not that really important to me in this playthrough because I was lucky to find a trader with a working forge, workbench and even the cement mixer works. And I lootet some iron tools level 2 on day 3.

I had no cooking pot until day 2 and now I find them everywhere.

The most difficult thing to find was acid. Took me nearly 2 days on a 120 minute day to find 2 cans of acid. But now I have my bicycle and this helps me a lot. Next thing on my list is a beaker.
    If the most difficult thing took two days then I'd say NOTHING is difficult...

It is amazing how far this thread strayed from a simple question to me being flamed for being lazy. Thank you for the answers to those of you whom helped with constructive answers. GFY to the others.

Lock thread plz

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Deluxe View Post
    Thats the whole point. RNG and luck. Some games start nice and some horrendous.
    This game
    - 10+ Foodcrates = 1 can of food
    - No nails
    - Local Trader no (startgame) Tools or weapons
    - No Jacket (still freeze in Snow biome)
    + Coat and clothes for Desert biome
    + Q2 Auger on day 6
    + Q5 Sledgehamer on day 2

and understand m right this is no rant, only a "statusreport" ^^
    Yeah this may be a good sign.

I rather like having an aspect of luck in a game.
    Sometimes skill only gets you so far.

You either get really lucky or you have to adapt and struggle and claw for everything you earn.
    Both are equally fun, just for different reasons.

Yeah... perhaps this is a good thing in a way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fluffyrizzo View Post
    It is amazing how far this thread strayed from a simple question to me being flamed for being lazy. Thank you for the answers to those of you whom helped with constructive answers. GFY to the others.

Lock thread plz
    Oh don't let the flaming stuff get to you.

I think most people here are pretty good, if a little cheeky.

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffyrizzo View Post
    Simple question … Is there any place to get nails without crafting them, other than hoping to find them randomly? For instance, is there something I can take apart to loot nails?

Thank you for any feedback.
    Guys, guys… go to a trader with a working forge...make nails...there ya go. scrap iron and soil is all that's needed

Tracker
    I hate to say it but A17 has been too easy on me. I find damn near everything I need and its usually almost like the game read exactly what I wanted because I usually find it sooner than in A16. I could be wrong but I do notice the game being easier in A17 but its been over a year so I don't really remember much.

This is in no way meant to be hostile to the OP, its just something I noticed since Ive been playing A17. after a long break (2017) from A16. I guess I got lucky and decided to play on A17.4 and not an earlier Alpha or Beta or whatever you want to call it.

I like how Madmole comments on the forum, he seems very loyal to his game and he is very helpful. A lot of other game forums they seem too busy to deal with the peons that bought their game.

Lock thread plz
    I know the feeling about a post I made a mistake on and never should have posted it, but I don't think this is that kind of post and you should not really need to lock it or anything. All of the angry guys probably forgot about it by now.

I agree with RipClaw and the bottles of Acid is the hardest thing to find and I almost posted about the best place to find them and I am glad I didn't. I have found them in sinks most of the time.

As far as canned food, the idea of 5% chance of food poisoning is enough for me to scrap them for the iron and stick to meat and vegetables. I really see no point in even having the can of Soup Stock, can of Miso, Lamb Rations, etc, if you cannot make something like ChiliDogs or Fish Tacos out of them or be able to heat them up in pot or something and remove the food poisoning, or some simple recipe. It seems like a waste to have 50 cans of Lamb Rations, Beef Rations, Tuna, etc. when you take the risk of food poisoning and get such a small amount of food and water out of them. Why not make a Tuna Casserole or Lamb Soup with no food poisoning but with recipes anyone and their mother can make. yeah it sounds like I am complaining but I am just commenting.
    Last edited by bobrpggamer; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:45 AM.

Reconstructionist
    Is glue in a campfire still 2 bones? I thought that changed in A17, pretty sure it's only been costing me 1 bone per glue and I haven't installed a mod in years.

Tracker
    Quote Originally Posted by Whorhay View Post
    Is glue in a campfire still 2 bones? I thought that changed in A17, pretty sure it's only been costing me 1 bone per glue and I haven't installed a mod in years.
    I just checked and with only UI mods (Storage 120, Player 120, Vehicles 120 and 3 Forge slots) it looks like 1:1 although I remember it being 2:1 so maybe I unlocked it with "Yeah Science" at 5

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Shouldn't nails be easy to find?

...the balance should be requiring them for more things.

No more insta chests or frames, to start.

Tracker
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post

Who knows who makes the decision of how many nails should be here or there but they should be in 90% of all house garages and sheds and 50% in businesses somewhere possibly at the docks, 30% in cupboards both business and residential just not in cars or offices of businesses or safes. I cannot remember if I ever got loot in a safe early on and finding nails but they should not be in safes. I recently made about 100 nails in my forge so they are easy to make, you just need a trader with a forge starting out and scrap some useless thing that scraps to iron dig up some dirt with your fists or a stone axe and you have 100 nails.

You would realistically need nails for frames or chests but I think its a gampelay thing with the frames.
    Last edited by bobrpggamer; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:00 AM.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    If you need nails you will not find them and if you do not need them you will find a lot.
    It's a law of nature

In A17 nails were added to some recipes. For example, for the bellow.

Then you should play Ravenhearst. There you can't even build frames without nails. On the other hand offers Ravenhearst additional sources for nails. For example, you can get bent nails from wooden walls and then bend them straight in a workbench.
    Last edited by RipClaw; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:05 AM.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by bobrpggamer View Post
    I just checked and with only UI mods (Storage 120, Player 120, Vehicles 120 and 3 Forge slots) it looks like 1:1 although I remember it being 2:1 so maybe I unlocked it with "Yeah Science" at 5
    The recipe was changed during A17. Now it's 1:1 in the campfire.