Thread: Found workaround for constant crashes on Mac

Refugee

Found workaround for constant crashes on Mac

I've been trying to post this for days, but either the forums or steam was borked and I couldn't link my account till today.

Mac users on Mojave can play A17 without crashing if they simply launch 7d2d from Finder (7DaysToDie.app) instead of using steam or the launcher.

You can find 7DaysToDie.app by right clicking in steam and selecting "properties" then "local files" and finally "browse local files". Alternatively, you can find it under ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/comon/7 Days To Die.

The crash is happening because there is a bug in the logging system causing an uncaught exception when the logfile tries to roll over. This avoids this by not passing the logfile parameter to 7d2d. This will presumably have the side-effect of disabling logging.

FWIW I don't think this issue is directly related to code TFP wrote. Judging by the fact it is C++ code I'd say either Unity builtin code or some 3rd party logging plugin they use.

Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm wrong general discussion. Sorry about that. Flagging a moderator to move.
    Last edited by DEADFACE; 12-24-2018 at 07:58 PM.

Well done!!!

This is going to help a lot of people.

I have a solution too... if you were on windows you'd not be having these problems. Mac's are like AMD/ATI videocards, they can work, but they always have issues.
    Last edited by Crater Creator; 12-28-2018 at 12:51 AM.

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by Scyris View Post
    I have a solution too... if you were on windows you'd not be having these problems. Mac's are like AMD/ATI videocards, they can work, but they always have issues.
    Too bad that solution wont fix any of the other bugs

Everybody knows Windows is the place for gaming. I'm sure this is nobodies first time being informed about that. What you may not know is that an uncaught exception will cause a crash no matter what platform your code runs on

Just trying to spread Christmas cheer to the Mac users out there, As you know they well need it when it comes to gaming!
    Last edited by Crater Creator; 12-28-2018 at 12:51 AM. Reason: quote edited

Refugee
    one of our party members plays on a mac. he played for a few hours with no crash after this "fix".
    this should be stickied for mac users.

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADFACE View Post
    I've been trying to post this for days, but either the forums or steam was borked and I couldn't link my account till today.

Mac users on Mojave can play A17 without crashing if they simply launch 7d2d from Finder (7DaysToDie.app) instead of using steam or the launcher.

You can find 7DaysToDie.app by right clicking in steam and selecting "properties" then "local files" and finally "browse local files". Alternatively, you can find it under ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/comon/7 Days To Die.

The crash is happening because there is a bug in the logging system causing an uncaught exception when the logfile tries to roll over. This avoids this by not passing the logfile parameter to 7d2d. This will presumably have the side-effect of disabling logging.

FWIW I don't think this issue is directly related to code TFP wrote. Judging by the fact it is C++ code I'd say either Unity builtin code or some 3rd party logging plugin they use.

Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm wrong general discussion. Sorry about that. Flagging a moderator to move.

Works for me thanks

Tracker
    I'm not using a Mac, but mad credits to you for isolating this issue to the logging code. This probably enables TFP to also fix it quite fast

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilthanaz View Post
    I'm not using a Mac, but mad credits to you for isolating this issue to the logging code. This probably enables TFP to also fix it quite fast
    I actually doubt the bug is in TFP code; they tend to favor C#, not C++. I also doubt the hand rolled their own logging code

Hopefully a minor Unity update or 3rd party library update.

Itís sandboxing on the Mac. Good find.

- - - Updated - - -

Unlike windows Mac doesnít willynilly allow ♥♥♥♥ to do things without user permissions. Iím happy the crashes were proactive actions on apples part. Steam needs to fix this dumbass ♥♥♥♥.

- - - Updated - - -

Mac is second citizenship for steam. I guess we should be happy they support Mac at all..

Thank you so much for your work on finding this!