Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: The State of Alpha 17

Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
    Have to agree. Hyper-X, or get the Razer Tiamat if you want real surround. Have gone though most headsets out there, and these two really last. Bonus, they have excellent sound.
    the hyper x cloud revolver has true surround sound and is a beast set of headphones. love mine, big improvement over the cloud series tho the microphone takes some getting used to

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orsey View Post
    Hey.

I opened the console on my server and wanted to give the other player experience, but could not find such a command.

If I enter help and click enter, then there is no such command in the list.

What console command allows me to give another player experience by username?
    you will need a mod for it, cpm, bcm to name a couple.

My vanilla+ modlet collection offfer now the ability to get Skill or XP crates from CM menue
    https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...let-collection
    (its in the quests modlet)

Refugee
    Hey All!
    I am not a regular commenter, but I would like to share my thoughts with you. I believe this is the correct post.
    I maybe have around 750 hours on Steam, but I follow the game as early as from Alpha 13..
    In my belief Alpha 17 is the best release up to now! For sure I miss some features from earlier Alphas' (especially A15 and A16), but the new features in A17 is more promising. I will comment below the pros and cons, so prepare for a long post. Also please forgive some Grammar or Vocabulary mistakes, but English is not my Native language and I don't like use Google translate, so I will give my best to make sense.

Stamina
    In opposition of most of players, (which is absolutely fine. We have Democracy, don't we? and all voices must be heard),
    I think the current Stamina mechanics is as good as it can get. Yes, I totally agree that it is a struggle at the beginning, but eventually you can catch up as you progress. What I don't like, is how you progress. It doesn't make any sense to kill zombies or making quests and then spend points, to become a Marathon-Man...
    It is making sense though, to run all time and by doing so gaining the ability to run further, as it was in A16. Yes, running everywhere, eventually will make you more fit.
    That also goes with strength. I agree to have encumbrance and backpack slots unavailable from start, but by carrying things around when encumbered, will eventually make you stronger. A16 progression style.
    Of course is completely out of sense to have 3000 rocks and other stuff on you and suddenly become encumbered, because you get 1 feather.
    I believe that weight by item is better to implement, like structural integrity we already have at building blocks. A good idea of this system is in "The Elder Scrolls:Morrowind". At this game even a spoon has weight.
    For players who enjoy building mostly, but want the excitement of survival, it would be nice to introduce something cheap to make, but be able to haul things. Like a wooden wheelbarrow. 20wood+10nails+5iron and there you go. Can have half the space of a wooden chest and that's it.

Perks
    Most of them are fine as it is, except what we talked above, but others would be better to return to A16 system.
    For example: Leaning how to make weapons, ammo, tools etc.
    I say better not this way. Again by killing zombies and making quests doesn't teach you how to make a gun.
    For me, weapons, iron/steel tools etc, can only be found. Wooden crossbow and bow, as well as arrows, I agree you can craft. Ammo you can make with forge, die set and after you find the book for each individual ammo type. Don't forget, why have the blunderbuss from start. Of course you can repair whatever weapon you find with the repair kit. Also repair kits you can learn how to craft, reading a book.
    Making seeds is not needed to be behind a perk, but make sense to have 4 corns to take the seeds. Maybe slow down the growth speed will balance this out.
    Cooking also is not need to be behind perks. Most recipes are very well balanced as it is now, like bacon and eggs, charred meat, boiled meat etc. If you want something more delicious and of course more advance with betters stats (pies, stew, etc) find the book and there you go. If you boil all day eggs, you will never be able to make a cake.
    Of course using every weapon or tool will make you better at it, plus the mods already implemented will give better stats. To clarify things, I said using. Means that spam crafting is not a thing and only get experience by using the particular weapon/ tool. Like it is now by gaining experience when you mine or cutting a tree, but without spend points on a perk. Now you will wonder, how to advance level on tools, if crafting is not give you xp? Well, it will give you by using. Cut 50 trees, you get a lvl 2 stone axe and so on...
    If you like to smash heads with a club, you will get better using it and after, let's say 5lvl, you get automatically a perk, like "stay down!". But you only get experience, when you hit creatures (zombies, vultures, players etc) not when you hit rocks or trees or grass. Same for axes, pickaxes etc.
    On weapons is different. You get 1xp if you shoot a car, a tree, a rock... But, if you shoot a zombie is 10xp plus the 550xp it gives now when you kill it. The final blow will give the xp to the weapon last used.
    So, you can soften a fat tourist with a gun and finish him with a club. Final xp goes to the club and vice versa. On the other hand, if you want to spend 550 bullets on a tree to become better at AK-47, so be it...
    The cost of bullets and wear of the weapon, will balance the xp gained.

Those are my thoughts and I am looking forward for the next experimental!
    Keep it up Pimps!
    Greetings from Greece...
    Last edited by Panmilios; 01-08-2019 at 01:18 PM.

Refugee
    Hey, someone know a way to disable mouse control in vehicles?
    I need to enter in the vehicle and *click* to disable mouse control and use keyboard.
    I want to use keyboard all time.

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by dishmal View Post
    He means when accepting the quest. It would be nice to be able to know which direction each quest will be in so we can get quests from multiple traders in the same general direction.
    Exactly. As Kage848 put it in one of his vids, a quest could be 2km away. BUT, the trader is also 1KM away from your base. So knowing which direction the quest is in could help in deciding which one to pick up. Especially when (as far as I can tell) you can pick up the quest and see exactly where it is, but then if you don't like the location and abandon it, it doesn't reappear in the trader's quest list (another solution maybe?)

Refugee
    The night is no longer a challenge in Alpha 17 and 17.1. It's very easy to run away and hide from a running zombie who has discovered one. And that from day one! The fact that you can distribute additional points in "Stealth Perks" makes the whole thing even more ridiculous.

How far zombies can see should depend on the set level of difficulty! The higher the level of difficulty, the farther zombies should be able to see at night. Realize that, please!

It's not a challenge to be out at night. The fun of playing suffers and for you is the bad publicity when in videos players complain about it and talk about stupid zombies.

Why play a "survival game", which offers little challenge even in the highest difficulty level?

(Unfortunately, I can only speak very little English. I have used translation program German - English.)

Zombie Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by lucast View Post
    Hey, someone know a way to disable mouse control in vehicles?
    I need to enter in the vehicle and *click* to disable mouse control and use keyboard.
    I want to use keyboard all time.
    have you looked in the control settings?

PLEASE BRING BACK LOOTED RECIPES AND INDIVIDUAL SKILLS!

As a fan of this game for over 4 years, I'm extremely disappointed in this latest round of "streamlining" which completely removed found recipes and individual skills, in favor of a Fallout 4 style bland singular XP currency which seems to purchase almost everything meaningful in the game.

While I agree that a player should not get all the recipes in the game within the first few hours by simply running to a bookstore, removing them completely from the game kills a major fun factor when looting. You could have also utilized the perk system to gate the learning of some recipes, by requiring perks to read the books/schematics once you've found them. I get that schematics as one time crafting ingredients are out there, but this is essentially like finding a rare weapon. It's much less impactful than learning a recipe obtained by looting, which made the act of finding recipes a key part of your character development.

Individual skills meant that players would be better at what they actually spent their time doing. You felt like you were building a character organically, shaped by the things that you were doing, not simply by picking traits out of a menu after doing the same single activity that everybody else is doing. I think you had it right with the dual system of a16; individual skills developed organically, with the flexibility of the ability to boost skills through a menu using general xp. It could have used some further balancing tweaks but it was the foundation of a solid RPG framework.

In a17, grinding zombies is essentially the only activity in the game which impacts your character development. Grinding zombies allows you to buy, and is the only way you can buy, every recipe and skill in the game, from a menu. Scavenging, mining, crafting, and weapon choice are essentially irrelevent as far as your character progression is concerned, and your character progression is the central motivation for continuing to play the game. This essentially turns the game into an arcade shooter with light RPG and survival elements.

I think that adding ties between buffs and attributes is a positive step. However there is no reason why it had to come at the cost of ripping out so many mechanics which needed polish but were serving the experience well. These mechanics were not really replaced with anything at all, just kind of filled in with a bland general xp currency system which, prior to a17, existed as one element of something more organic and engaging. Please bring back these elements which have been at the core of 7 Days for years and made it a game worth playing. Thanks.

hey give it time by the time 17.2 comes out it will be tweeked it takes some getting used to for sure i loved te skills and stuff from 16 but the recipies where too common. i love the new system yes its not perfect but is getting there. i hope you still plan on playing thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by worf3k View Post
    hey give it time by the time 17.2 comes out it will be tweeked it takes some getting used to for sure i loved te skills and stuff from 16 but the recipies where too common. i love the new system yes its not perfect but is getting there. i hope you still plan on playing thanks.
    Hey there...yeah I like the new textures, pois, and vehicles, and the perks are generally better and the organization/presentation of them is definitely better. I also really like that zombie pathfinding/abilities have improved, and the ties between buffs and attributes are the start of something good. Mods for the weapons are great.

However, I have no idea why these things had to come at the cost of some solid core mechanics which have been a part of the game for years. Organic character progression (action skill) is completely out, as is the importance of looting in character progression (action skill & looted recipes). These things were NOT superfluous. They were key to immersion and rewarded you for doing different activities. They gave the game character. They made sense. And they really haven't been replaced by anything so far. Earning general xp from doing anything and then picking all your strengths from a menu is not a real substitute for organically building your character through specific actions. Was it really too hard for people to have to mine to get better at mining, or shoot a rifle to get better at shooting? I mean...were people seriously complaining about the fact that they had to swing an axe to get better at chopping trees? I'm at a loss.

If the complaints revolved around the fact that it took too long for their action skills to rise before they could pick the perks they wanted, then why not simply relax or even remove action skill gates from the perk system? Or remove them from most perks, but keep them for one special perk for each action skill which could only be obtained by mastering those skills?

If recipes were being learned too quickly and easily, why not gate the learning of higher level recipes behind perks, but still require the player to find them? In addition to that, why not break recipes into fragments, so that more looting would need to occur before the recipe was learned? This new system completely divorces the act of looting from character progression.

The dual progression system in a16 was perfect because it had flexibility while maintaining organic character development. While developing skills through actions was the most efficient way to do it, you could use your general xp to boost them a little, and buy the major stuff, the perks. But those who mined a often would naturally be great at mining, those who looted often would naturally be great at looting, those who shot a pistol often would naturally be great at shooting pistols. Maybe I'm old school but the fact that I can become a master miner without lifting a pickaxe really destroys the game for me.

Ripping these mechanics out really removed immersion and character to the game and I don't understand the decision at all. I've been playing since a4, have profusely recommended it, and have bought it for at least 5 other people on various Christmases/birthdays. It's been one of my favorite games of all time, but for the first time in all these years, despite the many improvements, I can no longer recommend this game in a17. It's essentially become an bland arcade shooter with superfluous stuff in the background. It's a real shame because had the core mechanics remained in the game, this would be far and away their best version yet.

Refugee

RWG fixes?

Quote Originally Posted by The Fun Pimp View Post
    Hey Folks,
    We hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. The Fun Pimps are taking a long-needed development break through New Year’s.

But not to worry we will be back to work after New Years and onto patching Alpha 17.

Alpha 17 is not perfect by any means but a big step forward towards the vision we have had for the game for a long time.

We have heard some valid concerns of the community and will be making needed adjustments to the game in the coming weeks along with bug fixes, optimizations and balance.

We are gathering data on a case by case basis, balancing and addressing the true problem areas most of which so far center around optimizations, stamina, balancing XP for all play styles, land claims, increasing zombie loot drop chance, zombie block damage, skill/perk balance and gating and random world gen improvements.

Cheers Richard

I cant wait for some real fixes to RWG bc in A16 it was for the most part great with a few hiccups here and there but that is to be expected. In A17 however RWG went from having occasional hiccups to spewing its guts out and then dry heaving(maps hardly generate any water)! I know its early access things happen I get that and im generally patient and my only question is what happened between A16 and A17 that caused such a disturbance in the RWG force?

Quote Originally Posted by Artyse View Post
    I cant wait for some real fixes to RWG bc in A16 it was for the most part great with a few hiccups here and there but that is to be expected. In A17 however RWG went from having occasional hiccups to spewing its guts out and then dry heaving(maps hardly generate any water)! I know its early access things happen I get that and im generally patient and my only question is what happened between A16 and A17 that caused such a disturbance in the RWG force?
    What happened is it was completely torn apart when the entirely new system was put in to allow pre generation of maps. Kinyjuu is slowly working to get it back into shape tho so never fear, it will return!