Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alpha 17b240 Quick Guide to Creating a ‘7 Days To Die’ world from an external image.

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    That's weird. Wish I had more suggestions. If something comes to mind I'll take another stab.

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcube View Post
    Anyone ever gotten an error when trying to run the swa 5 noregion command?

https://i.imgur.com/K5irFqG.jpg
    Don't know if you figured this out but if you don't have a dtm.tga file and try to use dtm.raw it will give this error. Basically saying it can't find the tga file to smooth.

Sorry if have already asked, but what is the size limit of the created map?
    Will 64kx64k work in practice?
    Last edited by n2n1; 03-07-2019 at 04:33 AM.

Size is limited by your memory I believe.

I tried creating a map with a custom heightmap (like the op) after loading the world in the world editor, tried the command "swa 5 noregion" and doesn't work. It still looking as a "mainkra" map. the dlls breaks the game (if I replace it, the game wont start)

I tried the Guppycur's tutorial but is still "mainkra" style. I'm probably missing something, I don't know. Please, help me. I really want to make a custom map.

info: I don't use the dtm.raw, I use dtm.tga because I don't have a photoshop copy and on Gimp the export to raw files are non-existent.

Dunno what mainkra is.

Make sure the file is 16bit not 8, that's the difference between blocky and smooth.

Refugee
    Update on the water issue:

I re-wrote the water_info.xml file and added an entry for every 8 blocks on the x axis (-2044 to 2044) and the problem is still there. I think i might have found what is causing it though. It seems like the water "flows" from its point of origin around hills and mountains but the moment it connects with bare rock texture or gravel texture on its highest point, (i.e. top level of the water) it stops generating... 20190311222052_1.jpg

Also, shrubs, grass and other random junk still appears in "air pockets" under water...

Refugee
    Is there any way to create tunnels and/or caves? On a related note, I suspect (based on some of the screenshots here) that there is no way to create a road that goes through a tunnel in a mountain. Is this correct?

Not using these methods... You can make tunnel prefabs and use them.

Refugee
    That sounds good. I'll experiment with them this weekend. In preparation, how do underground prefabs interact with the landscape, do they cut into landscape wherever they intersect?

Aside: I'm not clear on the model that 7DtD uses for the underground and digging. My guess is that the act of digging effectively creates an ad-hoc prefab (corollary: mineral deposits do not exist in the world until they are found) and so adding a prefab would remove the blocks at the edge of the landscape and allow you to pass into what would otherwise be dirt/rock.

Prefabs replace existing blocks, be them air or dirt, so what I would do is generate a world, make my prefab there, export it, the restart the world fresh (no prefab) and import it until it looks right, noting the coordinates, then put the prefab in the worlds prefab.xml.

So, I have been trying to take a crack at 7d2d map making and stumbled upon the guppy tutorial. Everything went very smoothly until I attempted to smooth the world. I've looked all over google for an solution and just finished trying to export the .tga file in grayscale using gimp ( This exported the tga file in 16 bit ) However none of any attempt resulted in a smooth world.

Here's what I attempted:

8192x8192 attempt, followed the guppy tutorial and tried "swa 5 noregion", "swa 50 noregion", "swa 100 noregion" and "swa" Displayed message in console was:
    swa1.jpg
    Then I quitted the game, deleted region files if any, verified the existance of heightinfo.dtm, started game and loaded in the world using the world editor. No change, no result.

I have tried the above with a map of 4096x4096 as well, then tried exporting the .tga in grayscale ( 16 bit ) which resulted in the message:
    swa2.jpg
    Exception: TGA texture has non 32/24 bit texture
    Also tried using the .dll simply for the sake of trying as i was running out of options.

It would mean a lot if someone could assist me with this issue by perhaps pinpointing what i've missed or done wrong or ask me to upload the files to have a closer look/experiment with them for a bit.

May it be of help, here's a picture of the world contents in folder \7 Days To Die\Data\Worlds:
    8192x8192 Dev Map:
    swa3.jpg
    4096x4096 Test Map:
    swa4.png
    Last edited by NLBlackEagle; 04-26-2019 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NLBlackEagle View Post
    So, I have been trying to take a crack at 7d2d map making and stumbled upon the guppy tutorial. Everything went very smoothly until I attempted to smooth the world. I've looked all over google for an solution and just finished trying to export the .tga file in grayscale using gimp ( This exported the tga file in 16 bit ) However none of any attempt resulted in a smooth world.

Here's what I attempted:

8192x8192 attempt, followed the guppy tutorial and tried "swa 5 noregion", "swa 50 noregion", "swa 100 noregion" and "swa" Displayed message in console was:
    swa1.jpg
    Then I quitted the game, deleted region files if any, verified the existance of heightinfo.dtm, started game and loaded in the world using the world editor. No change, no result.

I have tried the above with a map of 4096x4096 as well, then tried exporting the .tga in grayscale ( 16 bit ) which resulted in the message:
    swa2.jpg
    Exception: TGA texture has non 32/24 bit texture
    Also tried using the .dll simply for the sake of trying as i was running out of options.

It would mean a lot if someone could assist me with this issue by perhaps pinpointing what i've missed or done wrong or ask me to upload the files to have a closer look/experiment with them for a bit.

May it be of help, here's a picture of the world contents in folder \7 Days To Die\Data\Worlds:
    8192x8192 Dev Map:
    swa3.jpg
    4096x4096 Test Map:
    swa4.png
    UPDATE FIXED ISSUE

After referencing my own work with the tutorial map result download I found a couple more things i could try out and finally came to an solution to the issue.

Step 1. Make sure you follow the tutorial to the point where you have the dtm.tga
    Step 2. Open your world in the world editor and navigate to \7 Days To Die\Data\Worlds\YourWorld
    Step 3. open the console using f1 and execute "swa 5 noregion"
    Step 4. If something goes wrong here make sure you have enough ram ( 12GB and more should be enough )
    Step 5. If everything proceeds successfully you should end up with heightinfo.dtm in the folder mentioned in step 2.
    Step 6. Exit to menu and delete the dtm_processed file in the folder mentioned in step 2.
    Step 7. Reload your world and celebrate! Now you have a smooth world
    swa5.jpg

Yay.

Refugee

Alpha 17b240 Quick Guide to Creating a ‘7 Days To Die’ world from an external image

Nicely done DIY

I will be changing both fluids very soon, and have a quick question about the fluid itself. I was looking at purchasing the Motul gear 300 75w90 just like you used when I ran across Motul gear 300 LS 75w90, which is specifically formulated for limited slip diffs, according to the website.

So, do I have to put the "LS" in the differential and is there a benefit in doing so, or should I just stick with the regular gear 300 in both the transmission and the differential?