Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1090

Thread: Feedback for The Fun Pimps on Alpha 17

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
    Log spikes did take damage from zeds. It just wasn't anywhere near the rate that the other spikes were.
    Also, they could be rotated upside down to make a flat surface, and still dealt damage. This is most likely why they were removed.
    Im 99.9% sure that they didn't get passive damage. Obviously if a zed hit them they did... but not because a zed stood on it.

And yeah... because there is absolutely no way you can disable advanced rotation :P

And i am 99.9% sure they did get passive damage when anyone walked over them.

My A16 bases were dominated by platforms on top of tall columns with iron frames or iron bars as walkways (being able to shoot through them). The ground was always covered with iron log spikes (because wooden log spikes were too weak and could upgrade them easily). The border of this log spike field was always covered with wooden spikes. After each HN i had three jobs to make:
    1. Clean out the corpses as fast as i can.
    2. Bring back the loot into the base.
    3. Repair everything and put up any log spikes or wooden spikes that were missing.

The direction from which the Zs came always contributed on the side which got the biggest impact, yet there always were a few log spikes that had very little damage (always somewhere in the middle) where some Zs ran to, but had so low HP they quickly died. They couldn't hit below, so surely they didn't attack the log spikes and i always tried to make all of the log spikes stand on even ground to be sure Zs would simply run over them and not attack them.

Inventor
    Quote Originally Posted by Viktoriusiii View Post
    Im 99.9% sure that they didn't get passive damage. Obviously if a zed hit them they did... but not because a zed stood on it.

And yeah... because there is absolutely no way you can disable advanced rotation :P
    I have to disagree with you. If you stand on a logspike then this takes damage. I noticed that in A16 when I repaired the spikes around my base and then accidentally stepped on them.

I also disagree with Roland's statement that it didn't make sense to have two types of spikes in the game that practically are identical. The logspikes caused little damage to the zombie but were durable. The wooden spikes caused a lot of damage but had a low durability.
    It's paradox when on the one hand is argued that you don't want to have two types of traps in the game that work similarly but at the same time there are 8 different types of firearms in the game that all work similarly. And in A18 even more firearms will be added.

Colony Founder
    Well... i guess I have remembered wrong... was that introduced in some later alpha? Because I was absolutely certain that this was not always the case...
    Well i guess sorry Roland. This one is on me. I just never ever noticed my log spikes breaking, if they were level. Even after 60 days they were still iron.

Spoiler: 
    So quick off topic question: How much damage did they get? Because I can't remember seeing any of them break. Was it like 1 damage per damage dealt? Because since they had like 1200hp (2x200+2x400 if I remember correctly) that would more or less be permanent... or was it a lot more and I am just an idiot and never really noticed it? And when was this introduced?

Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
    Log spikes did take damage from zeds. It just wasn't anywhere near the rate that the other spikes were.
    Also, they could be rotated upside down to make a flat surface, and still dealt damage. This is most likely why they were removed.
    That wasnít the reason. If that was the reason they would just stop the possibility of turning them upside down...like the current spikes. One reason they were removed I know for certain is that they made no logical sense. Another reason is they were butt ugly.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Viktoriusiii View Post
    So quick off topic question: How much damage did they get?
    I think I checked the XML a long time ago and it was 5 HP to the log spike and (?)20 HP damage to the zombie. Contrary to that the normal spike was more like equal damage to spike and zombie, which I felt was a little strange and the reason I remembered it. But to be sure, look into the xml of A16, my memory is not that reliable.

If they had kept the log spikes I'm sure they would have nerfed them eventually since they were just too good, even without the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by RipClaw View Post
    I have to disagree with you. If you stand on a logspike then this takes damage. I noticed that in A16 when I repaired the spikes around my base and then accidentally stepped on them.

I also disagree with Roland's statement that it didn't make sense to have two types of spikes in the game that practically are identical. The logspikes caused little damage to the zombie but were durable. The wooden spikes caused a lot of damage but had a low durability.
    It's paradox when on the one hand is argued that you don't want to have two types of traps in the game that work similarly but at the same time there are 8 different types of firearms in the game that all work similarly. And in A18 even more firearms will be added.
    I liked log spikes as much as anyone and miss them as much as anyone. Iím not arguing for their removal. Iím simply sharing the reasoning.

Back in A15 I suggested having log spikes only multiply fall damage and not cause damage by walking on them so they would be useful as the landing surface for pits. I reasoned that would give the two spike traps different purposes but my idea was ultimately rejected.

Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    I liked log spikes as much as anyone and miss them as much as anyone. I’m not arguing for their removal. I’m simply sharing the reasoning.

Back in A15 I suggested having log spikes only multiply fall damage and not cause damage by walking on them so they would be useful as the landing surface for pits. I reasoned that would give the two spike traps different purposes but my idea was ultimately rejected.
    That's too bad. Your idea makes perfect sense. I'll have to see if I can mod that later.

The log spikes also dismembered legs... a lot.
    I think if they made them like a pad of small steel spikes that zombies cannot see and can only be rotated for floors, it would be great.
    I say steel because you need to justify the dismemberment, the lower damage they take, and not to mention it is pretty op to use, so should be expensive, mid to late game.

Leaving the cone in and making it an actual block (for building purposes) is one thing that could be easily done (or modded in). Another is making a new object that would work similarly (or introduce falling damage multiplier), which would also look different. Something like a wooden plate with spikes or a metal plate with nails (maybe not 2-3cm, but let's say about 10-20cm long) would suffice.

The model could look like there are something like 9 nails (don't have to be 25 or something) protruding from underneath, so you technically can walk through it, but randomly falling on it would inflict damage (you simply cannot know how you land on something, so it's more realistic this way).