Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JSS (Just Survive, Somehow)

I have added Wheat to the mod as a crop that you can grow. Wheat can be ground into sacks of flour which will then be used in recipes. At the moment only the Tortilla recipe uses flour but more will come now that I have the basic groundwork in for growing it.

An interesting thing with Wheat, you can find it in some loot containers or buy wheat seeds at the trader but it is not currently found in the wild (not sure if I should change that, I kind of like it this way but would like your opinion).

Also the Farmer satchel comes with some wheat seeds to get you started if you want to grow wheat right away.

Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrice View Post
    I have added Wheat to the mod as a crop that you can grow. Wheat can be ground into sacks of flour which will then be used in recipes. At the moment only the Tortilla recipe uses flour but more will come now that I have the basic groundwork in for growing it.

An interesting thing with Wheat, you can find it in some loot containers or buy wheat seeds at the trader but it is not currently found in the wild (not sure if I should change that, I kind of like it this way but would like your opinion).

Also the Farmer satchel comes with some wheat seeds to get you started if you want to grow wheat right away.
    Why do you add a bunch of unnecessary stuff? In the game itself there are a large number of little-used items. Make recipes with these items. For example, what's stopping you from using corn flour?

I add what I think would be fun to play, that is what makes it a game. Technically, none of this is "necessary". Why for example are there more than one POI? Why not just have one house that is repeated ad infinitum?

The good news is, you are welcome to play vanilla or your own mods.

Also, I do use corn flour. They are interchangeable in this case.

Quick note on updates: I removed the need to read a book to make grilled meats or stewed (boiled) meats. Since those already require you to find the proper cooking tool it seemed aggravating to also require a skill book.

Also, both strawberries and wheat now will cultivate like the other crops (punch-harvest-replant works properly now and it will honor your harvesting skill level).

Refugee
    Is this mod compatible with Mayic's Farming Expansion?
    yours mod are both awesome

Hunter
    Give it a shot and post any errors that pop up. Hit F1 once the game is loaded and scroll up looking for yellow and red errors. That will let you know if there is any issues. My guess is some items might need renaming and may need a little tweaking to one of the progression xmls.

Scavenger
    My friend and I are really enjoying your mod. Just the right changes that we like along with Wild Lands as one really good mixtures of biomes. Where is good place to look for coal underground because we didn't find burned forest? And are we just that unlucky that we didn't find recepie for forged steel? Lvl 70-ish and on day 13 - little to fast leveling for my taste but I don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey33rs View Post
    My friend and I are really enjoying your mod. Just the right changes that we like along with Wild Lands as one really good mixtures of biomes. Where is good place to look for coal underground because we didn't find burned forest? And are we just that unlucky that we didn't find recepie for forged steel? Lvl 70-ish and on day 13 - little to fast leveling for my taste but I don't mind.
    Thanks, I am really glad you are having fun with it. The crucible book is what unlocks forged steel, which should appear in places like bookshelves, but perhaps the probability is a little too low. Also I see now that I missed including it in the trader stock options and quest rewards, which should be other ways to obtain it. I will probably patch that in the next update. Let me know if you have any other thoughts.

Scavenger
    Two of us really like what we saw so far: new food to make (friend is leveling cooking and enjoy trying out new recepies), collecting books again, enjoying much better biomes with your Wild Lands and all that little things that just make game even better. Anyway, thank you a lot.

The latest update has a increased chance to find the Crucible book (includes recipe for forged steel) in the world as well as the possiblity at traders. I have also addded a small chance that brown grasses will drop Wheat when destroyed.

Tracker
    Thank you for making scavenging useful again by readding skill books.
    A17 did not just ruin the end game, it totally ♥♥♥♥ing deleted it.

I see a file called "localization_additions", do I need to append that to my localization file manually to get it to work? If so, how?

BTW Chicken Noodle Soup does not seem to have an icon.

Does wheat just take a really long time to grow or what? All the rest of my food has gone through 3 crops and the wheat still has not grown from seeds.
    Last edited by Grue; 03-05-2019 at 10:11 AM.

Tracker
    Also there does not appear to be a way to get the Yucca Juice Smoothie recipe, it is not being added at the same time as the other ones.

Solved:
    That recipe is in the vanilla game under "drinkYuccaJuiceSmoothie", but the book adds "foodYuccaJuiceSmoothie" thus it does not work.

The battery bank recipe is not included anywhere, so I added it to "Eugene Explains: Generator Bank"
    Code:
    <item name="Eugene Explains: Generator Bank" >
    	<property name="Extends" value="magazineToolsBase"/>
    	<property name="CustomIcon" value="BookScience"/>
    	<property name="EconomicValue"    value="500"/>
    	<property class="Action0"><requirement name="CVarCompare" cvar="generatorbank" operation="Equals" value="0"/></property>
    	<effect_group tiered="false">
    		<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfPrimaryActionEnd" action="GiveSkillExp" target="self" skill="attIntellect" experience="3450"/>
    		<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfPrimaryActionEnd" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="generatorbank"         operation="set" value="1"/>
    		<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfPrimaryActionEnd" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="batterybank"         operation="set" value="1"/>
    		<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfPrimaryActionEnd" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="electricwirerelay"     operation="set" value="1"/>
    		<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfPrimaryActionEnd" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="switch"                operation="set" value="1"/>
    		<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfPrimaryActionEnd" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="ceilingLight01_player" operation="set" value="1"/>
    		<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfPrimaryActionEnd" action="ShowToolbeltMessage" target="self" message="Recipe Unlocked: Generator Bank"/> 	
    		<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfPrimaryActionEnd" action="ShowToolbeltMessage" target="self" message="Recipe Unlocked: Battery Bank"/> 	
    		<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfPrimaryActionEnd" action="ShowToolbeltMessage" target="self" message="Recipe Unlocked: Electric relay"/> 		
    		<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfPrimaryActionEnd" action="ShowToolbeltMessage" target="self" message="Recipe Unlocked: Switch"/> 		
    		<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfPrimaryActionEnd" action="ShowToolbeltMessage" target="self" message="Recipe Unlocked: Ceiling Light"/> 		
    	</effect_group>
    </item>
    Also, the perk description for Yeah, Science still says it unlocks the Chemistry Station, but I am not sure if that is something you can fix without editing the Localization.txt.
    Last edited by Grue; 03-10-2019 at 07:33 PM.

Thanks for the reports, I've submitted an update that should fix those problems. The deal with the wheat was I tried setting the growth rate to random (within a range) but I don't think that feature works correctly, if you leave the area where the plant is growing then it just stops advancing. So I set it back to be non-random just like all the other plants.

There was a similar problem with the grain alcohol recipe not being unlocked, so I added that to every recipe that uses grain alcohol (such as the medical kit).

The stuff in localization_additions were things that I was hoping to eventually be able to add to localizations through xpath modding but I wanted somewhere to keep them in the meantime. You can append it to localizations.txt as you discovered, manually, to get the same effect. It is not very complete, though.
    Last edited by mjrice; 03-10-2019 at 11:01 PM.

Tracker
    The encyclopedia set does not have any bonus exp associated with crafting it, so you only get like 85 exp, a bit lower than what I believe you intended.

Also, in my opinion, the nutritional value for Bear roast is a bit low (compared to Hobo Stew for example) considering the difficulty of finding and killing a bear.
    Perhaps a strength bonus similar to the way Sham Chowder gives you fortitude?
    Along those lines, the best wolf meat recipe (chili dog) could give agility, for example.
    Last edited by Grue; 03-11-2019 at 10:08 PM.

Tracker
    Balancing:
    Recipe book drop rates seem a bit high if your game goes past a week or two.
    Eugene REALLY wants me to know about mining helmets! Which is nice until you get exactly 1 book, then it becomes loot to sell to the trader.
    A side effect of adding the recipe books in however is that it makes mod schematics relatively more scarce as books take up room on the loot tables.

Edit:
    This is nit-picky, but the hydration and stamina stats for the blueberry and strawberry smoothies (Max Stamina, Water, Health) are presented in a different order than the yucca juice smoothy (Max Stamina, Health, Water).

The "food poisoning" and "heat resist" stats are similarly swapped, and the yucca juice one has a displayed stamina regen multiplier (like most drinks do), but yours does not, I see it in the config, but it is not showing up.
    Also the yucca smoothie has a much higher thermal effect Cold Resist 30, vs your Heat Resist 10.
    Last edited by Grue; 03-16-2019 at 03:13 PM.