Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sorcery

Tracker
    Wonderful mod. I'm looking forward to it.

If I may give some critique: the current location of the hand is in the way a bit. I wouldn't want to walk around with my spell out all the time if my fist was taking up the screen. Especially when holding the fire tornado on top of it.

Preliminary Ice Sorcery teaser demo

Also, thank you all for the feedback and shared excitement!

Ranger
    Very pretty! Imagine what a multiplayer bm horde would look like with these

Quote Originally Posted by chikorina View Post
    Very pretty! Imagine what a multiplayer bm horde would look like with these
    Ice Spike "snipers" shattering bones on the rooftop with others casting Blizzard to freeze and slow the horde

Game is Skyrim now. Well done.

T5 Firenado, Fire Spell demo

Awe man! I saw this and thought SWEET MAGIC, then I see its still a WIP :/

Can't wait for this to come out and to see how much you do with this.

Oh, and let me know if you want me to make another Batch script for you ;P

Nice work so far! Looks Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Necrodemus View Post
    This is incredible to see in 7 days. When I first started playing many years ago, what really drew me into the game, was the subtle supernatural feel I got from It. It felt unique; with it's creepy ambient music, slow shambling zombies, their night filled rage, and the terrifying emergence of bloodmoon asaults.

I was inspired to begin writing a back story for it. However, while it has improved dramatically from those first fledgling versions, I feel it has lost it's way, in becoming all things that encompass it in the periphery, instead of staying true to itself; building, upon what made it such a best seller.

This mod has giving me hope of a ressurection of that initial ambience. And while I won't be playing with it just yet, I will definatly set up a second install to experience it the way you present it. It looks awesome thus far.

What is the performance impact of those particles? It will be interesting to see how you impliment these spells, and perhaps you may inspire others.

Best of luck to you and thank you for presenting it to the community. You modders rock!
    Thanks for the feedback and sharing your story. I've detailed, and will be keeping in, many code comments to help guide others as to what's going on behind the scenes to make this all possible. It'd be my pleasure to help anyone interested in learning.

To answer the particle performance question, it's very good so far with no noticeable issues.
    I've kept the particle emission count low to help with this. If it becomes an issues, we can always lower particle count further and/or come up with a "low quality" option. I think casting Firenado on a group of 10 zombs caused an interesting effect, however LOL.

Keeping your Shader quality lower will help a lot too if it becomes an issue. Though, I've been able to use Ultra+ with a base 2080 and older i7 processor.

Quote Originally Posted by Russiandood View Post
    Awe man! I saw this and thought SWEET MAGIC, then I see its still a WIP :/
    Can't wait for this to come out and to see how much you do with this.
    Oh, and let me know if you want me to make another Batch script for you ;P
    Nice work so far! Looks Amazing!
    haha sorry to disappoint! ...soon my friend, soon!
    I know it's unlikely to happen right this moment, but I'm hoooooooping by a miracle that TFP blesses us with allowing for Localization.txt modifications through xpath (would have to convert and all that). Sorcery has a loooooooot of text that needs to be added there.
    I'd also like to tap into the quest localization, which would make that a millenia easier.
    Anyway, until then, yes... a batch would be much appreciated, for all our sake!
    Last edited by Devrix; 02-06-2019 at 11:03 AM.

Extracting / harvesting Ice Essence and "The Ice Transmutation Ritual".

One of the most challenging, and funnest (I hope), aspects of playing as a Sorcerer will be attaining and obtaining Essence to craft your Spells and perform Sorceries.

I would love your feedback on how YOU would like to attain and obtain Essence, beyond what's demonstrated in this demo vid.

Currently, you obtain Essence the following ways:

Essence Tree Boulder Ore Transmutation
    Fire Burnt, Oak All Coal, Oil Shale Fire Ritual
    Ice Winter All Potassium Nitrate Ice Ritual
    Lightning Forest, Oak All Lead Lightning Ritual

All natural sources have a chance for Core Essence

** Planted trees must be fully grown, much rarer to drop essence and they currently cannot drop Core Essence.
    ** May implement ability to plant and grow essence directly (yay nay?)
    Last edited by Devrix; 02-06-2019 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Added Essence Chart

Refugee
    So when it comes to harvesting of the essence, is the essence mastery the only thing that effects gathering rate? I like the idea of mining to get the resources, but if I am playing with a group I am not fond of the idea that I would want to max strength as well just so I don't waste the ore I am gathering just so I can do magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Deskimo View Post
    So when it comes to harvesting of the essence, is the essence mastery the only thing that effects gathering rate? I like the idea of mining to get the resources, but if I am playing with a group I am not fond of the idea that I would want to max strength as well just so I don't waste the ore I am gathering just so I can do magic.
    Correct, Essence Mastery is the only "harvesting buff/factor".
    The only benefit of strength would be extra stamina and speed. Is this how you prefer it?

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    This is neat; we are doing something similar for medieval book ii, so I'm very excited to see others playing with the potential of particles.

Quote Originally Posted by Devrix View Post

One of the most challenging, and funnest (I hope), aspects of playing as a Sorcerer will be attaining and obtaining Essence to craft your Spells and perform Sorceries.

I would love your feedback on how YOU would like to attain and obtain Essence, beyond what's demonstrated in this demo vid.

** Planted trees must be fully grown, much rarer to drop essence and they currently cannot drop Core Essence.
    Have you considered adding Earth based spells or even borrow from the radiated environment with something like Radium?

What about adding elemental beings for each mastery? Beings the player must initially destroy in order to harvest important, and perhaps essential, Core Essences. Off the top of my head and borrowing heavily from old tropes... ICE: Frost Giant or Ice Golem. Fire: Magma Fiend or Fire Wraith. Lightning: Storm Sentient or Charged Specter. Earth beings could comprise of something like a Trent or Nature Spirit. And Radium might have something like, Unstable Construct, Decaying Nightmare or Shambling Horror.

You could also give the player infinities with certain dominated elementals in the form of boosters to magic, pertaining to said elemental, while in the presence of that elemental.

You could also summon these things, ( perhaps stronger versions of the ones you have previously dominated ) but with a high resource cost and perhaps also, a hit to players health and overall resistance to the attacks of other beings outside of the field of magic, ( and of opposing magics, more below ) of the summoned being, to simulate the summons is draining you. Think Raistlin from the Dragonlance series; capable of terrifying power, but weak as a kitten afterwords.

Each elemental discipline of magic could also have strengths and weaknesses depending on the biome and summoned being and cause extra hatred by an opposing elemental to the currently used spell discipline. So for example, you summon an Ice Golem in the snow biome and it and you are more powerful, than lets say, you summoned the same being and used the same magic in the Forrest region.

Conversely, Forrest Elementals spawn more frequently and attack with more ferocity because they consider frost a treat to their existence in their biome.

So you could do, Fire and Ice oppose, Earth and Radium oppose, Earth and Fire oppose ect.

Just throwing some ideas out off the top of my head. I see great potential here. Have you thought about the use of staves? Staves could be a later game weapon which is hard to build, unstable to all but the most powerful...

Best of luck to you on this.

Refugee

I think it would be interesting to have different types of "rain" that would force the player to go put a bucket out and "gather essence" from the realm. If environmental effects like rain can make you wet, I don't see why it couldn't make a bucket "full".

Maybe you can only collect certain rare elements during rain on a horde night, or something.

It would offer a much riskier playstyle because for specific spell types you'd have no choice but to wander around until it either started raining, or you found a biome with rain / snow.

Leader

Well growing your own is quite fitting. the sages etc have their gardens they collect their special stuff from. and besides who dont love farming lol...