Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sorcery

Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by Deskimo View Post
    I guess its fine, just means the miner in the group would want to put some points in sorcery, just to help the others and not waste resources.
    Nawww so your saying I can't be the master of all magic lol

Good feedback, gents. Additional elements are planned beyond the success of implementing the primary three: Nature/Poison/Radiation(as mentioned, themed around the fallout), then Dark/Light of sorts.
    Also, I'm a fan of companion/pets of sorts too... we'll sneak something in, one way or another.

Everything will remain themed around the biomes and existing story/content as much as possible.

Regarding NPC's, I'm 100% intending on tapping into the A18(?) Bandit system when it arrives and making friend/foe Sorcerer's a thing. Beyond that, I think my time will be best spent on further expanding Sorcery and its systems directly, versus trying to get into character modelling and animation (not a quick or light feat).

So in a nutshell, absolute planned features beyond what's listed:
    • More elements: Poison/Nature/Radiation > Dark/Light
    • A full arsenal of items to compliment the Sorcery attribute and skills (armor/equipables/mods) [I'm sneaking a couple things in now]
    • NPC Sorcerer's, friend and foe
    • Sorcerer Quests (exclusivity/unlocking as @Necrodemus mentioned)
    • More Spells
    • Skill Tree and Perk expansion

Spell trails now persist on impact (versus initial instant vanish) and we now have spell impact effects for the environment+foe: visual and sound (looks and feels much better). I'll get a video uploaded later evening of these changes and a preview of the new Ice effects.

That's great news, good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Devrix View Post
    Good feedback, gents. Additional elements are planned beyond the success of implementing the primary three: Nature/Poison/Radiation(as mentioned, themed around the fallout), then Dark/Light of sorts.

Bloodmagic would maybe a nice idea.
    * A pestilence that slows down and damage enemys
    * Blood boost for faster player movement and more melee damage
    * Boiling Blood to damage Enemys and let them explode (detach limbs)

As source you need to harvest blood from Animals (later NPC/Bandits)
    (Blood packages could work too)

Just as idea

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Deluxe View Post
    Bloodmagic would maybe a nice idea
    It does sound quite fitting, doesn't it?
    You just wanna let your evil side loose!

Tracker
    I would like to be able to transmute corpses as a way to get some essence. Especially if it was based on the corpse in question. Burnt zombies give fire, Lumberjacks give ice, and animals give a generic one that can be used for anything.

I think this would be very interesting to do because most people hide behind fortresses during sieges so you wouldn't be able to easily restock your supplies when the zombies are there on the 7th day unless you know how to make defenses for that purpose. Which is, in and of itself, another twist this mod brings. Do I make the fortress so that I can harvest as we go, or do I set it up so that the majority of the gunslinging crew has the advantage and I just make do?

By having animals be a great source of essence, you essentailly have to chose between eating them and taking them apart for crafting, or using them to fuel your magic.

I don't like knocking down the essense tree with an axe. Especially because I know that a chainsaw can be used instead and I feel like that somehow detaches from the whole feel of it. I would rather see the tree transform into an essence tree, and then turn into pure essence later. Or, you can activate it to directly extract the essence to your inventory. (please do the later) By doing it this way, you again have to choose between using resources (in this case trees) for their traditional purposes or fueling your magic. It would certainly make farming more interesting.

Speaking of, if it is at all possible, I'd like to see some of the vanilla farm ingredients be used as well. Much like the fully grown trees in the wild. It fits thee magical theme becausue "alchemy" and also gives new uses to old items. Cars could be another great source of essence. Maybe "shock"?

The last thing I could suggest, and I have no idea if this is possible or not, but make the vomit an essence as well. If you can grab it out of the air by activating it, you can turn it into something. I think it would make for a great defensive move, as well as give new ways to farm zombies. I wouldn't turn it into anything powerful. Perhaps turn it directly into HP? Don't even bottle it or people will stock up on them en masse, unless these "healing potionis" have a balanced downside. Then, by all means.

But essentially, (ha) the game already grindy enough in places. Objectively speaking. I wouldn't want an additional "chore" on top of it. I want essence gathering to be natural. Something I can do as I go, and not another farm/mine/etc. that I need to juggle. It it's slowing me down from blowing stuff up, I won't use it.

Please, and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Devrix View Post
    It does sound quite fitting, doesn't it?
    You just wanna let your evil side loose!
    Well my own lore (i apply on nearly every game since years)
    is that i am a wanderer of worlds. Resulting in a really long time traveling with many many options.
    Including divinely ordained control of time (or like most people will say time magic) and ice magic.

So no blood magic for myself, but i know some guys and girls who use it

New Spell trails, entity and environment impact effects.
    Demo of Ice Sorcery's ability to Freeze a foe solid in their tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristam View Post
    I would like to be able to transmute corpses as a way to get some essence. Especially if it was based on the corpse in question. Burnt zombies give fire, Lumberjacks give ice, and animals give a generic one that can be used for anything.
    I thought about and like the biome-specific entity essence extraction too, whether it be a corpse OR we could extract while they're alive... that could be fun, no?

Regarding the Essence Tree and hacking it with an axe... unfortunately, I agree with you that it feels off.
    Was an attempt to tap into all mining systems, but we'll just keep the lumberjack activity isolated to the biome and planted trees. I'll put more thought into the Essence Ritual, as they're intended to be the "holy ♥♥♥♥ I can't wait to do this!" deal.

I'll implement corpse essence harvesting now (choose animal mats or essence) and possibly "living entity" essence extraction.

Also, the mentioned farming... absolutely. Either planting Essence directly, or crafting seeds from found/combo essence (feedback here would help).

Last edited by Devrix; 02-09-2019 at 09:31 PM.

earth magic could be more of a supplemental magic. no combat at all, but healing, mining or digging, and crop growing. a completely noncombat branch.
    use earth magic to farm essence?

Scavenger
    looks awesome! i want dis in my life

i would really love a blink (short self teleport) spell
    also becoming a necromancer is an obvious magic shool choice maybe even playable on a phone?
    Last edited by voodoov; 02-10-2019 at 05:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfbain5 View Post
    earth magic could be more of a supplemental magic. no combat at all, but healing, mining or digging, and crop growing. a completely noncombat branch.
    use earth magic to farm essence?
    Good ideas with the non-combat branch. Healing is making it in multiple forms, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoov View Post
    looks awesome! i want dis in my life

i would really love a blink (short self teleport) spell
    also becoming a necromancer is an obvious magic shool choice maybe even playable on a phone?
    Been contemplating a teleport spell... we'll probably sneak it in.
    Necromancy will probably be tied in with Dark/Blood/Poison when we get there.
    ...should we scrap Sorcery and make a mobile version instead, or leave it to "Immortal"?

Tracker
    What about Elemenetal "Stations"? Basically, alters or workstations that provide a benefit to those who use them? There could be some basic features anyone could use, and some advanced features only masters could use. If you wanted to flesh it out.

The Earth Station could be the previously mentioned "Teleport." So you could basically erect a teleporter for the team, ala TF2. Ice/Fire stations could erect ice walls/burning campfires in front of them, helping to provide defenses, and Lightning could provide heatless light. They can be picked up and moved, if need be, and you (the author) can decide if their walls break down after the station is removed or not based on how you want to balance things.

To make the ice walls, have the station spawn a block with the propereties of a growing plant. Then make 3: Ice 1; Ice 2; Ice 3. With Ice 3 being a non-growing block. There were mods that did similar things in Alpha 16. (15?)

I'd also like to see defensive and utility features to each element. Games are quick to make offensive options, but no one things to make defense or utilities. Like Earth/Ice making stairs or blockades, temporary armor, or slowdown effects on enemies. Or the Fire role allowing campfires to burn longer for the same amount of fuel. Maybe Fire/Ice could make torches that don't give off as much heat, or Fire could make one that gives off a LOT of heat for farming or base raiding. Weather changes also comes to mind, as well as how many berries you can pick and/or whether or not they make you sick.

I could go on and on, but I don't want to daunt you. Just keep up the great work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristam View Post
    What about Elemenetal "Stations"? Basically, alters or workstations that provide a benefit to those who use them? There could be some basic features anyone could use, and some advanced features only masters could use. If you wanted to flesh it out.

The Earth Station could be the previously mentioned "Teleport." So you could basically erect a teleporter for the team, ala TF2. Ice/Fire stations could erect ice walls/burning campfires in front of them, helping to provide defenses, and Lightning could provide heatless light. They can be picked up and moved, if need be, and you (the author) can decide if their walls break down after the station is removed or not based on how you want to balance things.

To make the ice walls, have the station spawn a block with the propereties of a growing plant. Then make 3: Ice 1; Ice 2; Ice 3. With Ice 3 being a non-growing block. There were mods that did similar things in Alpha 16. (15?)

I'd also like to see defensive and utility features to each element. Games are quick to make offensive options, but no one things to make defense or utilities. Like Earth/Ice making stairs or blockades, temporary armor, or slowdown effects on enemies. Or the Fire role allowing campfires to burn longer for the same amount of fuel. Maybe Fire/Ice could make torches that don't give off as much heat, or Fire could make one that gives off a LOT of heat for farming or base raiding. Weather changes also comes to mind, as well as how many berries you can pick and/or whether or not they make you sick.

I could go on and on, but I don't want to daunt you. Just keep up the great work.
    resistances. fire tree makes you resistant to burning and heat, ice makes you resistant to cold?