0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Release Estimate: Sometime in 2019

0 0%
  • 0 0%
  • -------------------------------------------------------

0 0%
  • Check the First Post for Updated News

0 0%
  • The following are off-topic for this thread but may be discussed in General Discussions:

0 0%
  • Release Dates, Game Mods, LBD, Level Caps, Blood Moon Evasion, Water and Boats

0 0%
Page 746 of 1164 FirstFirst ... 246646696736744745746747748756796846 ... LastLast
Results 11,176 to 11,190 of 17456

Thread: Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

Zombie Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kage848 View Post
    If a game mechanic is so unattractive to players wanting to experience it, especially the game machanic the game is named after, they are skipping it I see that as a major issue with the game.

I personally love the horde nights. I cant believe anyone skips them. I wish we had hard data on the % of players that actually skip them.
    The game title and game concept is that on horde night you will be chased, it doesn't mean you have to defend yourself fighting or you cannot try to hide from it. Different people react differently. And that is what this game did good when I first play it in A16. It support both game plays.

But now, it is been forced to play BM Horde. I love the idea that Zed get smarter and reach your hiding spot quickly but I doesn't like that you have to stay and fight.

Personally I always fight Horde night as that is the easiest, because I play a planned game. But some people, specially young kids are not always managed and remain half prepared. So they run to hide after their initial plan fails. I don't see it is wrong behaviour. Idea is to survive. hide/avoid or fight should always be player's choice.

I love to see progressive effect though, like if on horde night you avoid and say kill only 50% of that horde than next night they become more in quantity, as those how survive (zed) call their help... and horde night get increased if you leave them. So if you miss 2 horde night completely then on third night you get horde equal to 3 nights.

Tracker
    Quote Originally Posted by madmole View Post
    Everyone wants more zombies but you? What if there was an increasing chance per kill you make (not traps) to get a loot drop? So the more guys you killed, the more loot you got? Then by being engaged you would get more nice yellow bags to collect.

I'll be honest I haven't played much/any late game stuff in some years so that is my top priority so I can see how these feel.
    I'd love more zombies. Come to think of it, it's only the radiated ones I'd like reduced and made special.

They don't have an Achilles Heel. I think that's what bugs me most. Having a spot to hit, like the underbelly of a dragon, would be interesting. Hit them in the leg , drop them on the ground, expose weak spot, shoot to kill.

Loot pretty much becomes inconsequential, unless you reintroduce degradation of level through repairs. For now it's, you found your gun, you'll never need to find another.

I'm not afraid to say that I haven't opened a single yellow lootbag. There never is anything in there that I don't already have or can make. The more I think about it, the more I realize I don't need the loot. I want to feel like a job well done after bm.
    Just eradicating a sea of zombies with pure muscle is nice the first time.

So yeah, how about special kill mechanics for special zombies, and a slight reduction of special zombies, perhaps one or two at a time per player max.

Just curious, what can one do while waiting out the night at a trader? How about a poker minigame with the trader? Oh, and introduce an option to limit that space, so players can have an option to compete for that space

Quote Originally Posted by Viktoriusiii View Post
    there is already an owner beeing set as soon as you place it down.
    It is the same person that has placed down the landclaim.
    And I suppose everyone that is marked as "friend" gets the xp.
    Well, to be honest, I haven't checked (and can't right now), but I didn't think an owner was being assigned to traps before.

Still, even if one now is, or will be with this new system, I think it'll get more complicated than that. What if the person who placed the trap isn't online? If friends get XP also, do they have to be close by, or can they be on the other side of the map and still get it. You can't "just" tie to landclaims either, since what would you do then with a trap placed outside a landclaim (just revert it to according the xp to the placer I guess?).

Like I said, it'll be interesting to see exactly how the XP accreditation is worked out by the Pimps, and I suspect it won't be a single one-liner in code either, if its going to cater effectively for edge cases.

It was never intended to have 300 levels its legacy crap. Eventually we'll put a level cap in probably and make people re-start to get every perk.
    Noo please!

Madmole, I don't understand why this would benefit the game. New players and people who play 20 hours and then quit wouldn't be affected at all. Only experienced players who love to sink 300+ hours into a single game would get negativity impacted.

What's to gain out of this?
    Last edited by KingSlayerGM; 07-16-2019 at 05:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KingSlayerGM View Post
    Noo please!

Madmole, I don't understand why this would benefit the game. New players and people who play 20 hours and then quit wouldn't be affected at all. Only experienced players who love to sink 300+ hours into a single game would get negativity impacted.

What's to gain out of this?
    I would expect, even if this is implemented, it will remain a simple modification to adjust points per level to allow for opening all perks / skills etc.

How far along are survivor/bandit AI anyways since they're going to be pushed back to Alpha 19 (for now)?
    Like how much is done, what is left exactly that needs work before they can be considered for a new build.

Refugee
    Originally Posted by Phoenixshade35

2. Acid - Like my above question what about crafting it? Like take 10 Polymer, 10 Lead, Plant Fiber and 1 Bottle of Water in the Chem station, that could work.

Some materials need to remain loot only so players can't get rich or have unlimited x. All advanced recipes have an advanced loot only ingredient now.
    Since Snowberries are gather only and not farmable.. why not make an acid recipe that uses a huge amount of snowberries along with other "heavy resources" as well as long craft timers for each stage.

For example:
    Step 1:
    Acid paste base = 1x murky water + 10x Hops + 50x Snowberries + 10 Polymer
    Craft time per unit = 5 minutes

Step 2:
    Raw Acid mash = 1x Acid paste base + 1x Bottle of water + 1x Military fibre (for filtration) + 100x plant fibres + 5x Jars of honey and 20x Blueberries (the latter 3 for fermentation)
    Craft time per unit = 10 minutes

Step 3:
    Bottle of Acid = 1x Raw Acid mash + 1x Bottle of water
    Craft time per unit = 30 minutes

This would be 45 minutes of game time for crafting ONE Bottle of Acid not including going out to find the Snowberries..
    OR players can get up off their butts and go loot some.

Quote Originally Posted by OzHawkeye View Post
    I would expect, even if this is implemented, it will remain a simple modification to adjust points per level to allow for opening all perks / skills etc.
    Yes, I agree, as it has always been. However I wonder whats the reason to do it.

Survivor
    Eventually we'll put a level cap in probably and make people re-start to get every perk.
    Any chance of making a soft level cap instead of hard one? I'm talking about a way to mix "pushing your envelope" with a limited gradual respecification ability.

I think it could be a thing, because early game requires a set of skills that is quite different from late game. Let's say, early on you usually want to build yourself a nice, safe and functional base, so it makes sense to invest in mining, building, and crafting skills. Later on, you have your impenetrable fortress set up, so you want to go looting and questing for some fun and danger. But alas, you have already used up all your skill choices for building stuff, and reached your level cap. So it's game over, man, game over!!!

Wouldn't it be nice if you could start gradually moving from a builder or miner to a silent ninja looter, or fearsome sledgehammer-wielding zombie smasher instead? Please note I'm not talking about cheesy mechanims like borderlands or pillars of eternity, where you can buy instant respec with money. I'm talking about gradually trading some skills for other skills over time, as you gain levels past your "soft cap".

I'd like to think it's like in real life. If you stop working out because you have to go study some quantum physics, you start losing all your hard earned muscle after a couple of weeks or so, but you will start learning science skill instead. When you have finally finished your nerdy science project and built your null energy reactor or whatever, then you can choose to go hit the gym again in hopes you can still one day bench that 221 lbs once more. So, instead of thinking of skill advancement as a one way road, it would be more like filling a leaking bucket. You know, kind of like body building

Not sure how that would do with the single scalar level value, though. Maybe have one-way progress up until level cap, and start losing xp and levels over time with an increasing pace for every level over cap? Perhaps the game could keep track of what skill has been used the least since last level change, for choosing which skill to degrade when player loses a level due to stagnation.

This way players could push real hard to reach a very high level, but keeping it up would demand constant hard work, determination and dedication. Also, the soft cap would ensure new players will get past the first levels, and not keep regressing to level 1.

It was never intended to have 300 levels its legacy crap. Eventually we'll put a level cap in probably and make people re-start to get every perk.
    Please no.

Quote Originally Posted by KingSlayerGM View Post
    Yes, I agree, as it has always been. However I wonder whats the reason to do it.
    Well, I should leave that to Madmole to explain further, as it's so far outside my own gaming preferences, that I can't, just for myself, see the incentive. The first thing I do in any game that has skill selections, Ark, 7Days, whatever it might be, is make sure I mod it so I can eventually get them all.

I'm all good with it taking a long time, even a very long time, even potentially a longer time than my usual "I wanna restart now" internal-gamer-timer, to get that very last one, but I "wants 'em allz!". I guess, if I had to take some sort of stab at it, the system would encourage deep thinking about what skills you do and don't get, but 7Days just doesn't strike me as a character class based game.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by OzHawkeye View Post
    Well, I should leave that to Madmole to explain further, as it's so far outside my own gaming preferences, that I can't, just for myself, see the incentive. The first thing I do in any game that has skill selections, Ark, 7Days, whatever it might be, is make sure I mod it so I can eventually get them all.

I'm all good with it taking a long time, even a very long time, even potentially a longer time than my usual "I wanna restart now" internal-gamer-timer, to get that very last one, but I "wants 'em allz!". I guess, if I had to take some sort of stab at it, the system would encourage deep thinking about what skills you do and don't get, but 7Days just doesn't strike me as a character class based game.
    Feel the same way. Would of said the same to let MM explain it but don't think it is a very popular choice. If I had to take a stab at it I would also add based on how it has been brought up that they want you to play again but pick a different path then the last time.

Maybe it is still to soon to see the bigger picture where we are still missing things. But as of now I see the only reasons a lot of people start a new game is because of a update. So once more content and story is in place maybe will have more reasons to restart and do this.

As for servers/multiplayer not sure what the motivation would be to start over unless you tired of the server you on or the server you on the owner of it doesn't refresh much and not much left in the world.

I would also wouldn't mind once you hit what they considered right now max level anything past that taking longer to achieve.

Inventor
    Quote Originally Posted by ecv View Post
    The safe place won't do much good if the last player logs out during the bm. The server will then stay empty until the admin wakes up and forwards time. There needs to be a way to skip hordes for regular players. On every server I've played on or ran myself, empty servers in the middle of bm are an issue.
    Since I always play as a single player I never had this problem but I see that there is a problem for players on servers.

Nobody wants to log in during a bm on an empty server because the zombies start attacking immediately. No way to prepare, and now not even the possibility to jump on a jeep and flee? Why does anyone care if a player skips a hordenight. I really don't get it. There's like 100 hordenights during a game. Why should skipping a few of them matter?
    I don't get it either. There is talk of balance, risk and reward. Some have also argued that they want that for themselves to have risk and more fun. The same arguments came when it came to the underground bases.

I hope that the developers will decide for a solution that can also be handled by average players and does not necessarily lead to the death of the game character. Deactivating the vehicles in the horde night is simply not a solution for me.

A mini game where you have to dodge the zombies I see rather as a solution. But you have to make sure that the difficulty is balanced.

What are we surviving for if we can't change our situation for the better and forever and always have to stay vigilant? It makes no sense to me
    Long-term goals do not seem to play a major role in the game. I'd also like to see you get the chance to live completely self-sufficient, far away from the zombies and the dangers. Why survive at all if there is nothing worth living for?

Nomad
    at which alpha devs are gonna stop rewritting skill tree and rebalance things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k0SmqbBIpQ

Inventor
    Quote Originally Posted by kamer1337 View Post
    at which alpha devs are gonna stop rewritting skill tree and rebalance things?
    The moment they are going gold. When that will be, even the developers might not know for sure.